PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
Edit: Poorly worded title, but I'm referring to games that feel "metroidvania-ish" because they have metroidvania elements, not "metroidvania-lite" games.

I've recently been playing Pokemon Green, first time playing this specific version (in Japanese) but I've played Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow several times throughout the years since their release (as well as FireRed and LeafGreen). This is the first time I've replayed a gen 1 game in 6 or so years though.

While I've been playing it, it's reminded me of one of the things I liked so much about gen 1 - the gated exploration and interconnected world. You'll come across areas that you initially can't access because you need a move like Cut or surf, or you otherwise can't progress much (if at all) until you've obtained a certain item like the Silph Scope to see the ghost Pokemon in the tower in Lavender Town. So there's a lot of backtracking required (though there's also some unlockable shortcuts), but that's something I actually really enjoy about the Kanto games, and it reminds me of what I generally like about metroidvania games.

Metroidvania is one of those genres where I don't really know what "qualifies" something as being "truly" part of that genre, as I've seen a lot of debates on what does or doesn't make a metroidvania throughout the years (sometimes even seen arguments that metroidvanias specifically HAVE to be 2D). For example I rarely see Resident Evil 1-3 referred to as metroidvanias, but they definitely have some metroidvania elements in progression being gated behind obtaining certain items, rooms showing a different colour on the map based on whether everything in them has been looted or not, etc.

I guess for me personally, I generally see "true" metroidvanias as games where gated progression (via obtaining new abilities and items more-so than things like puzzles), mapping and backtracking are pretty much the main focus, and generally the game will be classified as "action adventure" secondary to being a metroidvania.

I was wondering if there's any other "metroidvania-like" games that aren't quite "full/true" metroidvanias that anyone could recommend? Basically, any games that have gated progression/exploration, required backtracking and/or an interconnected map, but are otherwise generally different genres entirely, like RE primarily being a survival horror and Pokemon being a turn based RPG.

Also before anyone recommends the FromSoft Souls games, I've already played all of them (sans Elden Ring, waiting for the DLC) and have appreciated the metroidvania-like elements in those as well. I'd argue King's Field has some metroidvania-ish aspects as well, which I've also enjoyed.

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
There are many Metroidvania-lite games. Gato Roboto, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Islets. Just a few off the top of my head. These are games that are broken up in different ways than traditional Metroidvania, where backtracking takes a lesser place and the exploration is largely straightforward or limited in scope. I've only listed a few but the list is quite long.

Maybe Yoku's Island Express as well? I guess it depends on what exactly you're looking for. There are so many games that take inspiration from this genre even if they don't hew exactly to traditional mechanics.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Cave Story feels a lot like a halfway point between a Mega Man game and a Metroid game to me. It's got a lot of Turbografx and NES Action Platformer DNA in it, in general. It's part of why I enjoy it so much, it's the whole package.

I've always described Skyward Sword as being somewhat of a Metroid game, but with Zelda trappings. In terms of its progression and dungeon design, it's as Zelda as ever, but something about how its individual major areas are structured reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime 3 specifically.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
As weird as it sounds, Metroid Dread is basically a Metroid-lite. It abandon a lot of the earlier games' characteristics in favor of minimal backtracking, a very linear forward progression system, and being more action adventure / stealth oriented.

Not my favourite Metroid by a long shot but it sounds like it might be more your speed.

OP
OP
PallasKitten

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
I feel like I titled/worded this poorly. It's not really "metroidvania-lite" games I'm looking for, more-so games with metroidvania elements (so more "metroidvania/ish" and less "metroidvania-like" I suppose?)

Doesn't seem to be any way to edit the title though so I'm guess I'm screwed on that front, lol.

Thanks for the recommendations so far regardless, though I've already played about half of the games mentioned so far.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I feel like I titled/worded this poorly. It's not really "metroidvania-lite" games I'm looking for, more-so games with metroidvania elements (so more "metroidvania/ish" and less "metroidvania-like" I suppose?)

Doesn't seem to be any way to edit the title though so I'm guess I'm screwed on that front, lol.

Thanks for the recommendations so far regardless, though I've already played about half of the games mentioned so far.
The Gunk is quite fun.

Guacamelee 1 and 2, of course.

Oct 28, 2017
You could try Goodboy Galaxy (a GBA game released in 2023). There's a ROM available on itch, and there is a port for PC and Switch coming soon.

The game is described as an anti-metroidvania and it is absolutely great

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Pikmin 3. A lot of areas are gated off at the beginning, but you can eventually open up a lot of routes between your base and the different areas of the game's levels.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if those ones are gonna match your criteria, but I'd recommend:

Subnautica, exploration being gated by your equipment and knowledge.

store.steampowered.com

Subnautica on Steam

Descend into the depths of an alien underwater world filled with wonder and peril. Craft equipment, pilot submarines and out-smart wildlife to explore lush coral reefs, volcanoes, cave systems, and more - all while trying to survive.

Same goes for Outer Wilds, well it's fully gated by knowledge.

store.steampowered.com

Outer Wilds on Steam

Named Game of the Year 2019 by Giant Bomb, Polygon, Eurogamer, and The Guardian, Outer Wilds is a critically-acclaimed and award-winning open world mystery about a solar system trapped in an endless time loop.

Or the Witness.

store.steampowered.com

The Witness on Steam

You wake up, alone, on a strange island full of puzzles that will challenge and surprise you.

And Tunic.

store.steampowered.com

TUNIC on Steam

Explore a land filled with lost legends, ancient powers, and ferocious monsters in TUNIC, an isometric action game about a small fox on a big adventure.

And maybe Ys VIII? You'll discover areas you need to return later on with proper tools or crew.

store.steampowered.com

Save 65% on Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on Steam

Ys returns with a brand new adventure for the first time in 8 years! Adol awakens shipwrecked and stranded on a cursed island. There, he and the other shipwrecked passengers he rescues form a village to challenge fearsome beasts and mysterious ruins on the isolated island.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Xanadu Next on Steam

Whenever mist hangs over Lake Orwell, sailors catch sight of a phantom castle just out of reach. As they draw near, it fades away, leaving only questions for all who have seen this “Castle Strangerock.” Now, you must aid your charge in uncovering its secrets...even if it costs you your very soul.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The modern Tomb Raider games (or at least the first two, never got around to the last one) have neat little interconnected worlds where you unlock new traversal items and loop back around and have new paths or secrets to discover. Very much satisfied that itch for me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Guacamelee. It's a proper metroidvania but not a purists. Still probably my favorite metroidvania. And tomorrow is cinco de mayo so worth playing.

420blzUP

Oct 6, 2022
Fantastic Dizzy games have an interconnected world gated by Puzzles instead of abilities. Tomb Raider lV kinda the same but 3d. Tomba! Series uses puzzles, quests and also abilities for opening the world.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Toki Tori 2 has some overlap. I'd describe it as puzzle-adventure, but it has that MV/search-action component of getting a new ability and then applying it to reach new areas.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1607530/Treasures_of_the_Aegean/

Time-loop exploration puzzle platformer. You can gain a few abilities that make traversal quicker/easier, since each run is on a timer, but it's not a metroidvania per se.

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1406850/The_Legend_of_Tianding/

It's more a 2d character-action game, but some of the skills you unlock do allow you to reach some optional areas for 100% completion. There's a few missions that require you to revisit "dungeon" areas, and some of the loot/upgrade items/quest items have randomized drops, which can be a bit annoying. But if you just want to play The Robin Hood of Taipei, you can ignore basically all of this.

www.gog.com

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

One of the darkest games of all time, Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the PC takes gamers

OG Blood Omen was zelda-like in that you gain abilities/weapons in dungeons that allow further progression. But the map of Nosgoth was also littered with secrets that you had to backtrack with these spells and abilities to find. So i'd say that element is there

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Oriental Blue

GBA JRPG that gives you a lot of freedom to explore, and as you talk to townspeople and explore dungeons and find cool shit you'll get items or abilities or party members that let you access progressively greater portions of the map. Inspired by east Asian and south east asian mythology. Made me think a lot of Pokemon HMs and items a lot especially because you unlock dive

It's very good, and is largely slept on. Barely any English language YT videos of it trying to sell people on the game. There's a v good TL patch available.

View: https://youtu.be/DmPYKfGdxjg?si=7xWJaRCYcKK3tNYs

While it doesn't have the exact charm of something like Mother 3 there's a weird factor to the game that really comes through, and I think it's one of the most smartly designed games on the platform or JRPGs of it's time in general.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Unsure about the new Resident Evil games, but the older titles (1-4) and their remakes all have metroidvania elements.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If you think Resident Evil is almost metroidvania than Zelda must be too metroidvania to you ? xD

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Tales of Kenzera: Zau is basically this, being more of an action game with some very light exploration hooks than a full metroidvania.

OP
OP
PallasKitten

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. It pains me that I've already played a fair number of the titles recommended though, lol. Though a lot of them are good/great games so I appreciate their mentions all the same.

There's also been a handful mentioned that I actually already have in my backlog (like Monster Sanctuary), but that's fine by me since it at least means I already have access to those games.

The modern Tomb Raider games (or at least the first two, never got around to the last one) have neat little interconnected worlds where you unlock new traversal items and loop back around and have new paths or secrets to discover. Very much satisfied that itch for me.
I've been meaning to play these games for years now, especially since I've already played most of the older Tomb Raider games. I wasn't aware they had interconnected worlds so that's really neat to hear.

Oriental Blue

GBA JRPG that gives you a lot of freedom to explore, and as you talk to townspeople and explore dungeons and find cool shit you'll get items or abilities or party members that let you access progressively greater portions of the map. Inspired by east Asian and south east asian mythology. Made me think a lot of Pokemon HMs and items a lot especially because you unlock dive

It's very good, and is largely slept on. Barely any English language YT videos of it trying to sell people on the game. There's a v good TL patch available.

View: https://youtu.be/DmPYKfGdxjg?si=7xWJaRCYcKK3tNYs

While it doesn't have the exact charm of something like Mother 3 there's a weird factor to the game that really comes through, and I think it's one of the most smartly designed games on the platform or JRPGs of it's time in general.

I've heard of this game before, but that's about the extent of my prior knowledge with it. This sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for though to scratch that itch, so many thanks for the recommendation.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Cave Story feels a lot like a halfway point between a Mega Man game and a Metroid game to me. It's got a lot of Turbografx and NES Action Platformer DNA in it, in general. It's part of why I enjoy it so much, it's the whole package.

I've always described Skyward Sword as being somewhat of a Metroid game, but with Zelda trappings. In terms of its progression and dungeon design, it's as Zelda as ever, but something about how its individual major areas are structured reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime 3 specifically.

This description is making me want to revisit Skyward Sword. It's the only Zelda game I haven't finished (besides this new one……)

I remember kind of hating the motion stuff and feeling like they were holding my hand in a bad way.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really someone who seeks out Metroidvanias but loved Steamworld Dig 2 - and can also recommend Yoku's Island express which has been mentioned already. Both bring something different and refreshing

Shiki

Nov 30, 2017
Not sure if those ones are gonna match your criteria, but I'd recommend:

Subnautica, exploration being gated by your equipment and knowledge.

store.steampowered.com

Subnautica on Steam

Descend into the depths of an alien underwater world filled with wonder and peril. Craft equipment, pilot submarines and out-smart wildlife to explore lush coral reefs, volcanoes, cave systems, and more - all while trying to survive.

Same goes for Outer Wilds, well it's fully gated by knowledge.

store.steampowered.com

Outer Wilds on Steam

Named Game of the Year 2019 by Giant Bomb, Polygon, Eurogamer, and The Guardian, Outer Wilds is a critically-acclaimed and award-winning open world mystery about a solar system trapped in an endless time loop.

Or the Witness.

store.steampowered.com

The Witness on Steam

You wake up, alone, on a strange island full of puzzles that will challenge and surprise you.

And Tunic.

store.steampowered.com

TUNIC on Steam

Explore a land filled with lost legends, ancient powers, and ferocious monsters in TUNIC, an isometric action game about a small fox on a big adventure.

And maybe Ys VIII? You'll discover areas you need to return later on with proper tools or crew.

store.steampowered.com

Save 65% on Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA on Steam

Ys returns with a brand new adventure for the first time in 8 years! Adol awakens shipwrecked and stranded on a cursed island. There, he and the other shipwrecked passengers he rescues form a village to challenge fearsome beasts and mysterious ruins on the isolated island.

I'm replaying Y's VIII right now and it's the first thing that came to mind. Really fun exploration!
Great recommendation!

Nexmark

Oct 14, 2019
Mayble Blasphemous 1? At first I thought it was a proper metroidvania, but it feels more like something between an action game and a metroidvania, it might fit your criteria

The sequel its 100% a metroidvania, which I highly recomend :)

Paladyn

Mar 18, 2024
As weird as it sounds, Metroid Dread is basically a Metroid-lite. It abandon a lot of the earlier games' characteristics in favor of minimal backtracking, a very linear forward progression system, and being more action adventure / stealth oriented.

Not my favourite Metroid by a long shot but it sounds like it might be more your speed.
It's a Metroid which is different than a metroidvania.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Steamworld Dig 2 was going to me my recommended as well, such a wonderful game.

Yeh I cannot wait for 3. Dig 2 launching with the Switch seemed to give it a massive boost so my thinking is they will try the same trick again with the Switch 2 / Dig 3. It's so overdue at this point lol feels like every variant of Steamworld has been branched out into so about time they follow up the most popular one!

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
- Ys VIII and IX
- God of War 2018 and Ragnarok
- Batman Arkham Games
- Subnautica & Below Zero
- Jedi Fallen Order & Survivor

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I've heard of this game before, but that's about the extent of my prior knowledge with it. This sounds like pretty much exactly what I'm looking for though to scratch that itch, so many thanks for the recommendation.

Fair warning the encounter rate is a bit high, so if you are playing on an emulator maybe bind a button to turbo + mute. It's not ridiculously high or anything (and you can lower it in many maps by walking on roads instead), but it was probably the most old-school part of the game.

Couple resources:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/918788-oriental-blue-ao-no-tengai/68966966
Basic Walkthrough

Recipes for every spell in the game.

Thread with some recipes for unique equipment properties

Modding gear - Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai

For Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai on the Game Boy Advance, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Modding gear".

You can figure out most of these by playing the game, but the game really wants you to talk to all townspeople and make notes and keep track of things you come across.

My old LTTP with a longer description of the game and some tips at the bottom.
www.resetera.com

Ao no Tengai: Played all the classic JRPGs? You missed this one. Non-linear, exploration-driven, consequence-filled, turn-based excellence (GBA) LTTP

!!!MARK STORY SPOILERS!!! Been playing this and its awesome. It's easily as good as the Golden Sun games, honestly I'd put it up there with Mother 3 on the system. Compared to other stuff, probably similar ballpark to Chrono Trigger or FF6, the other 16-bit classics. If this was published by...

Need to post an update there or something, got a lot further but have been waylaid with other games since late last year it feels like.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
It's a Metroid which is different than a metroidvania.
I mean it's very very much not a Metroid in the way that, uh, Metroid and Super Metroid are. Doors locking behind you, minimal back tracking, always having a clear next place to go — it's Metroid-themed but in terms of moment to moment gameplay it's a much more straightforward action platformer that abandoned a lot of the slower and more exploratory and maze-like attributes of the original games.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take any opportunity to recommend Powerslave Exhumed. Often described as a proto Metroid Prime in its design.

store.steampowered.com

PowerSlave Exhumed on Steam

PowerSlave: Exhumed is a KEX Engine port of the classic console game perfectly blending both the PlayStation & Saturn versions

It's missing an entirely interconnected world as it's level based instead but it has the typical Metroidvania progression where you gain new abilities thanks to acquiring artifacts and weapons and these enable you to go back to earlier areas/levels and access previously unreachable paths in order to progress.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
The Messenger half part is linear then it switches to metroidvania but not sure if it fits OPs criteria.

Paladyn

Mar 18, 2024
I mean it's very very much not a Metroid in the way that, uh, Metroid and Super Metroid are. Doors locking behind you, minimal back tracking, always having a clear next place to go — it's Metroid-themed but in terms of moment to moment gameplay it's a much more straightforward action platformer that abandoned a lot of the slower and more exploratory and maze-like attributes of the original games.
It's still a Metroid no matter how you slice it. There are backtracking with new items and sequence breaking as well. The only things that sepetate Metroids from MVs is the rpg mechanics and the different load outs you can play with. Things that are not present in in any Metroid game.

I found Metroid and SM rather straightforward mostly with a clear next destination if you paid attention.