• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I only watch hentai dubbed in English so no
075.jpg

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I minored in JP, so I think i'm weeby yea. haven't read/watched much manga/anime in years though
I had to take an anime course for minor credits and I remember being really confused and/or out of the loop by a lot of my classmates' examples in class.

Oct 25, 2017
nope.

i find weeb culture so strange personally.

i like anime, and i'm a fan of many Japanese things, but nowhere near obsession.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
I put half my car in the gutter so I can corner better on tight roads

I minored in JP, so I think i'm weeby yea. haven't read/watched much manga/anime in years though
I had to take an anime course for minor credits and I remember being really confused and/or out of the loop by a lot of my classmates' examples in class.

Wait what? Like how to make your own or just analyzing the medium like what film majors do?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To a degree. I play Japanese games, own figurines, and watch anime and read manga. Also been to Japan.

I however do like and partake in dubbed games and anime, cringe anytime people insert random Japanese into English sentences, and have no problems criticizing aspects of Japanese culture. I also call it "My Hero Academia" and "Attack on Titan" instead of "Boku no Hero Academia" and "Shingeki no Kyojin".

So, to the common person, I am a weeb. But not the kind of weeb that makes the word an insult.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I became proficient in Japanese after falling in love with the language and my girlfriend is Japanese, but I haven't been into anime in a very long time and prefer most Western media over Japanese media. I'd give myself a 3/10 on the weebometer.

Based on that post you're like an 8 mate and it's a logarithmic scale.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I put half my car in the gutter so I can corner better on tight roads

Wait what? Like how to make your own or just analyzing the medium like what film majors do?

It was mostly about relating anime back to Japanese culture and/or history. One week, we had to read numerous papers about otakus (real otakus, the ones "normal" people get weirded out about), the history of waifu culture, and why lolis and/or "innocent youthful girls" seem to be so prevalent (as objects of romance and/or sexual desire) in the medium.

A lot of people would bring up examples from newer anime/manga... But I haven't really read/watched much anime since like Code Geass, so most of them went over my head.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

I watch anime, but I feel like I don't like it.

It's basically Full Metal Alchemist at the top, then it's all downhill from there.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My username being Grimmjow says it all. It also says that I liked Bleach at one time too

Oct 25, 2017
Well, you're not wrong.

The only anime I really follow is Jojo's but I don't feel I watch Jojo for the correct reasons. That series is a black comedy where absurd and horrible shit happens and I love absurdist humor. It is not a show I will ever get emotional resonance from.

It takes a lot for me to actually start a new anime.

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
95% of anime is pure trash.
4% is pretty good/entertaining.

But 1% contains some of the most riveting and hard-hitting stories ever made, brought to life with glorious production values.

I love that 1% to death (AoT, FMA:B, Vinland Saga, Mob Psycho).

But I hate cringy anime with a passion.

Oct 28, 2017
The only anime I really follow is Jojo's but I don't feel I watch Jojo for the correct reasons. That series is a black comedy where absurd and horrible shit happens and I love absurdist humor. It is not a show I will ever get emotional resonance from.

It takes a lot for me to actually start a new anime.
Pretty much feel the same way as you, very few that I actually care about.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I like some anime and def was in my youthful days but all the gross shit about anime kinda pushed me away and I'm just kinda done with it.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Out of 10, I'm like level 5 classically trained weeb. Like I wouldn't know what Jujitsu Taisen is, but I know what Roots Search is.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
No more than I am a "gamer" because I play games. I'm interested in all kinds of stuff, don't feel the need to attach my own identity to any of it.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I dont put much stock in horseshoe theory, but it is fascinating to me that both the furthest left and the alt-right seem to be united in their love for anime.
Not aimed at you but the right leaning side of this particular sentiment is beyond annoying here, and should be banworthy (when it's in a random thread). It just derails discussion in nothing more than a "LOL you like NERDY SHIT" ad hominen attack trying to make someone feel bad for liking something.

Basically, alt-right, as much as everyone loves to pretend, are people. People like different things. They also like cars, meat, guns, using the bathroom, television, video games, the internet, working out, going to school, ect.

All my friends are super into anime and most of the communities I engage with also fall suit, not a single person I know is alt-right. They are all progressive, lgbt, or some other very left side of the spectrum for their country.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
Kind of? I do watch anime but I'm very picky with it and most of the time it's slice of life. I do read manga too but I haven't completely dove into it yet. I play and enjoy Japanese games like a lot of ppl. I don't know too much about Japanese culture other than little tidbits here and there.

I guess ppl would consider me a koreaboo tho? But even then I'm not weird nor obsessed with putting Korea on a pedestal or anything.