• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Bought a box of strawberries because it is in season. I would always scrunch up the leaves, hold them so the strawberry itself can fit all the way into my mouth, chew on the berry, and still leave the leaves scrunched up.

I try to avoid tasting the soils near the stems, but I am curious to see if others just straight up eat and digest the leaves.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
No. Each around them or cut a shallow core off the top.

I'm sure someone eats the leaves, though. We've had threads about people who eat shrimp shells and cupcake wrappers.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Are they even edible, in the sense that you can extract nutrients from them with your human digestive system?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
You can eat them, they're not poisonous or anything. But they probably won't taste very nice. Nearly everyone will do what you do or just cut the top off.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Shocked and disappointed to hear OP isn't asking this because they've done it for years, honestly.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What do you mean by this?
cSr67SB.jpg

Not sure if the phone can capture it. There are white, dried, stems with black, elongated heads underneath the leaves, and some soil / dirt chunks near where the white-ish parts of the strawberries are. I don't know what it is, but it reminds me of the soil bits I get from my box of white mushrooms before I wash them.

Shocked and disappointed to hear OP isn't asking this because they've done it for years, honestly.

I just started to question my behaviors.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Is this the first time you've eaten a strawberry?
I've always eaten store-bought, already-prepared, strawberry chunks and factory-produced artificial strawberry bits. I rarely eat fresh raw strawberries, because they aren't that flavorful.

I guess it's when I'm at the point where I'm trying things out, I realized I never questioned whether doing this is the right thing to do. So, here I am, learning the ropes.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
cSr67SB.jpg

Not sure if the phone can capture it. There are white, dried, stems with black, elongated heads underneath the leaves, and some soil / dirt chunks near where the white-ish parts of the strawberries are. I don't know what it is, but it reminds me of the soil bits I get from my box of white mushrooms before I wash them.

Oh, that's strange. I've been berry picking a couple of time with my kids and all the places I've been had their strawberries set up like this.

images

But yeah, don't eat them. Especially not if there is dirt and other stuff on them.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I eat them for small strawberries, but not for larger ones. They don't taste bad or anything, and the taste of the strawberry itself greatly overpowers it.

Regarding dirt... I'm confused how people are washing the strawberries but not cleaning the leaves and underneath.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I eat the small leaves, you can't even taste them. Obviously tear off the big ones.

Eat the skin of the Kiwi you don't kno what you're missing

This I also support without sarcasm or irony. The skin is tart and snappy, and if you have a sweet enough kiwi completely transforms the experience and flavor profile in such I way that I'm never going back to peeling.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Yes I eat them, purely because I can't really taste them.

I also eat kiwi skin.