Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Arknights English dubs is probably one of my favorites in any media. They're sooo good. A shame we don't get voiced story but given the amount of text, probably not really feasible lol.

Oct 26, 2017
Arknights with voiced dialogue would probably double or triple the time it takes to clear an event/chapter.

Shit's already long enough as it is. This is one of those time where I'm not sure if I want voiced dialogue.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I wouldn't mind the story taking longer if I can listen to it. I can probably get through some parts of the story while doing other stuff unlike unvoiced story which requires your attention to be on the screen at all time.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
i cant say how much of gbf ive gotten done over the years while doing other stuff even more so after the update that let the audio continue in the background
i lose most my drive to read things unvoiced

AK has had the problem from day one of it's translation of CN writing just having a insanely high word count for their literature

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Bagpipe's voice is amazing. That said, some voices are better in JP (Mumu for one), and some are better in native language (Ling).

As for voiced story, while it would be nice, I don't see myself using it all that much. I read much faster than the voices in most games, so I usually only end u listening to the first bit before clicking to the next section. Can you imagine how much monologuing Kal's VA will have to do?

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Gnosis shoperator debut, interested to test him out. Only ones I need in the near future is Fiametta in Sep and Irene next year. That said, Goldenglow is also coming soon and is pretty good for those who don't have her.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Finally my guy Gnosis!!! I already farmed his mats.Just need to mastery and module him.Other ops that I still want now are probably Horn,Ines, Reed Skadi and Irene. My poor girl Nearl is limited and so is W. But for now its save mode till the R6 collab.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Glad the CM for the last stage was relatively easy, can't wait until we reach October, or so for the CM stage to consume -1 stamina for retries, instead of half the stage cost.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Angelina's comic got updated on the AK website with her trip to Siesta. I'm kind of surprised that they did that food joke here too =)

EDIT:

Watching a beginner playing AK, I just realised, Virtuosa is pretty bad for beginners. Low Level Virtuosa takes so long to proc Necrosis due to her low attack, and when it procs its overkill.

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Finished that S Stages.

MVP: Ifrit. Handles the main lane, true AOE to hit the portal as well as all the mobs, and there were a ton of Ifrit lanes. ZT-S5 for instance, she can cover all the lanes.
Favourite Stage: ZT-S3. Really fun if you play with the mechanics and embrace the teleport. Plus bring Angelina + Gladiia + Cliffheart lets you cheese the 2 sides soooo much, even the really tanky guys with the reflection shield.

Overall, I really liked the event. Some of the enemies are really strong stat-wise, but the mechanic was fun to work with and overcomes the stat issue rather nicely.

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
I was looking forward to the Il Siracusano rerun until I realised I can't get extra yellow certs from Vigil pots and the auto repeat function doesn't work on the event stages.

Convenience has ruined me. I'll have to farm to get all the event rewards and then throw all my sanity pots at Red Certs.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I have like 172 alloy things. I might just clear the shop and auto farm lmd instead.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I've been looking at Lord modules, and I sure wish BP got Thorn's module. BP gets a measly 20 damage bump on her Arts poison DoT from 75 -> 95 while Thorns lets him stack his DoT 4 times X_X

That said, would 300 Arts DPS make BP a decent ranged Arts DPS? She should be able to stack it fast.

Aug 27, 2019
Was going to moan about the lack of auto-repeat on this event, glad to see I'm not the only one.

I am impressed by the new Lord modules, seems like they're all rather significant, at least for the 6*s. And Lappland. I do agree though, it would've been nice to see BP get the same treatment as Thorns, I'd like to see more impactful 5* modules instead of them being a rare exception.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
The rock farming stage is also my only non auto. Booooooooooo.

Also finally my Ebenholz is E2. I did'nt realize he had like 3 modules tho. I plan on M6'ing him one day, but which module is recommended first?

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at WuWa's general reception has been interesting to say the least. I wonder how it will shake out a few months from now. I'm worried about Endfield, the combat in WuWa seems sort of like a better version of what they were going for. Boss encounters just looked so rough with the AI catching stray hits all the time and the lack of any proper dodge. They want it to be slower paced and more strategic but I didn't really see all that much strategy from the beta and more just clunky action.

The betas did seem a lot more polished than WuWa's current state though and I have high hopes for the localization and voice acting based off of OG Arknights. Endfield is more visually striking too.

There were some recent interviews like a week ago that raised some alarm bells for me, mainly the fact that they are aiming for a 50/50 ratio with the base building/factory management stuff which looked incredibly monotonous and uninteresting to me.

IDK, I'll wait for launch but if that's really the game I'm probably out.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I was jokingly saying before that they probably really wanted to make AAA gacha Factorio but knew that it's too niche to bring the kind of money that could sustain the game so they slap this action RPG stuff on top to make it more appealing to mainstream audience. Seems like that's actually closer to the truth than I thought lol.
And really, them recognizing the risk and still going for it to offer something new with strong vision is what I love about HG.

Also, I don't think they're going for WuWa style of combat at all (they're saying that they're going for tactics and strategies rather than action and reflex, which is what WuWa combat is mostly about) so I don't see the need to compare that. They just have to find how they could make this "strategic" action fun. After Arknights and Ex Astris, I'm pretty confident that they can make interesting and unique combat system that's rewarding to play so I'm excited to see they're coming up with for this.

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I was jokingly saying before that they probably really wanted to make AAA gacha Factorio but knew that it's too niche to bring the kind of money that could sustain the game so they slap this action RPG stuff on top to make it more appealing to mainstream audience. Seems like that's actually closer to the truth than I thought lol.
And really, them recognizing the risk and still going for it to offer something new with strong vision is what I love about HG.

Also, I don't think they're going for WuWa style of combat at all (they're saying that they're going for tactics and strategies rather than action and reflex, which is what WuWa combat is mostly about) so I don't see the need to compare that. They just have to find how they could make this "strategic" action fun. After Arknights and Ex Astris, I'm pretty confident that they can make interesting and unique combat system that's rewarding to play so I'm excited to see they're coming up with for this.

I would like it to be a mini-RTS / tower offense. The more you build, the bigger the "territory" around your base expands, and within that range, you get units that help in combat. They are a lot weaker than your chars, but they help soak hits, distract bosses etc. Think classic Warcraft 3 / Dota. Basically you compensate for weaker skill by building up your base more. Mainly because just building your base for more resources is kind of boring, so it should help out combat-wise.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching more playtest of Endfield and I found a pretty simple solution for some issues with the current character swap mechanic. They can not swap a character in place by default and just move the camera over like FFVIIR does while allowing the option to have a character quick rush/tag-in like FFVII Rebirth introduced. That way you don't end up with squishy ranged/healers jumping into melee range all the time.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I would like it to be a mini-RTS / tower offense. The more you build, the bigger the "territory" around your base expands, and within that range, you get units that help in combat. They are a lot weaker than your chars, but they help soak hits, distract bosses etc. Think classic Warcraft 3 / Dota. Basically you compensate for weaker skill by building up your base more. Mainly because just building your base for more resources is kind of boring, so it should help out combat-wise.
Sending units out to help maybe a bit difficult technically (they probably don't want to have too many units on-screen, especially when they have to be ai-controlled and navigate complex terrains) but I can see the game having something like sentry tower that can auto-attack stuff that come close to it or some kind of structures that give you buffs when you're in the area.
Auto-farming by kiting mobs to your death traps would be pretty unique for a gacha game.

Essentially, 3D Reclamation Algorithm lol.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I have no idea how Im gonna get the mats for all these cool new banners coming up. Degen is def a skip now tho.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Really? up until Wisadel release, she will be the default boss killer, forget Surt, and Mlynar, she takes that crown, at least for 4 or 5 months.

Eh, she's not so much better that she feels like a need or core character imo. Nor is she like my fave character either. I missed the first R6 collab too, so I have 2 collabs>Logos/W> Abyss banner coming up to save for and Degen's gonna get a rerun anyway.

Plz ignore my attempt to cope. I really like Degen. She could've been garbage and I would've gotten her.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
So it looks like Ulpanius and his kit is finally revealed and, well, he's a 6* crusher, and while we won't know until his actual numbers come out it looks like it's another case of making an underwhelming archetype good by basically negating the archetype's drawback.

Trait: Attacks all blocked enemies

Talent 1: Recovers a certain amount of HP each time Ulpianus takes damage; When HP is lower than 50%, the effect of HP recovery increases

Skill 1: Next attack throws an anchor forward, drags up to two targets towards this unit, dealing Physical Damage

Skill 2: When skill is active, Talent 1 effect strengthens, Block +1, Max HP increases, ATK increases Unlimited Duration

Skill 3:
When skill is active, Max HP increases, ATK increases; Instantly throws an anchor forward, the anchor stops when it hits a target/reaches the maximum distance, then deals Physical Damage to all surrounding enemies and stuns them for a few seconds. If the anchor is thrown on a deployable tile, Ulpianus teleports to that tile Can manually deactivate skill, Ulpianus returns to the original location when the skill ends
---

Given how talent 1 works, that's going to likely counter the big crusher weakness to fast attacking, lightly hitting enemies that their 0 defense normally makes them vulnerable too. Heck, there's even the potential there to have a net HP positive if the numbers work out, though admittedly that's probably only possible for the very weakest of enemies which he'd probably mow down in a hit anyway.

Of course, this does depend on numbers on talent 1, but given skill 2 strengthens it, and he can get 30% shelter and % of max HP regen from other AH ops (on an archetype with a huge HP pool and multiple max HP up skills), I suspect it's going to be pretty impactful.

Either way, looks like an almost immediate power creep of poor ol' Hoederer.

I will give them though, S3 looks really interesting for some teleport hijinks.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
At least Hoed still has the true damage niche, but yeah Ulpi is going to be bonkers considering the AH synergy, watch his 2nd talent be some broken ass buff for the team as well.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I recently built and M3/6-ed all the Abyssal Hunters, so Ulpianus is one of my most wanted units at the moment. You kind of feel like a god with that niche, lol.

I'm skipping Degenbrecher after doing a little too many pulls to get Virtuosa. With my roster I currently feel pretty comfortable as far as the meta goes, and there comes a time where having several boss-killing machines feels enough.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh I don't have either Sladi but Im still all in for Ulpianus.

Edit: I forgot about the Kernal banner. Bought Skadi in the shop. Now Imma have to level her to get ready for him.

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
CC Time soon! Should be fun =) Hopefully they'll expand the medal display since I'm out of space

Also, web event for Ifrit KFC skin. Other skins need you to purchase merch. I would rather take KFC, but I get how much work a global collab takes.
https://rhodesislandvacation.arknights.global/

EDIT: Web event is time-gated

Last edited:

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Amiya trying to explain new mechanics while I'm listening to this banger music.

I didn't mind Pinch Out and this CC seems to be in that vein, so I hope it's alright. Design of Strife was by far the worst endgame challenge format they ever released, so I'm glad that one is behind us.

CC Time soon! Should be fun =) Hopefully they'll expand the medal display since I'm out of space

Also, web event for Ifrit KFC skin. Other skins need you to purchase merch. I would rather take KFC, but I get how much work a global collab takes.
https://rhodesislandvacation.arknights.global/

EDIT: Web event is time-gated

Thanks for posting!

I checked the merch and, sure enough, plushie: $20,00 / shipping: $23,00. No Exusiai skin for me.

I understand it wasn't feasible to do it through KFC globally, but I'd rather they sold the skins directly in-game through a pack like they did with the Japanese Blu-ray ones.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
well contingency contract was pretty much the last thing I actually looked forward to in this game and now they've ruined that I guess.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
After playing a bit with it I don't feel it's that different, we're still able to select individual "risks" for each map (for the main test site the individual selection is kind of hidden in a separate view, but it's there).

Biggest change is having a new map each 3 days instead of the dailies. 4 rotating maps instead of 7, but the previous incarnation did repeat a lot of maps between seasons (not sure if that's still going to be the case or if they'll always be completely new now).

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I checked the merch and, sure enough, plushie: $20,00 / shipping: $23,00. No Exusiai skin for me.

I understand it wasn't feasible to do it through KFC globally, but I'd rather they sold the skins directly in-game through a pack like they did with the Japanese Blu-ray ones.
A yup global is getting shafted, buying the skins directly is like 1000x better, than going through the ripoff that is the yostar shop.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Max Risk (350) the rotating map, that was fun. Though between this and what I've played of the main map so far, it leans way too hard on requiring invis-detection. Like having raised someone like SA/Horn/Ines letting you cheese a mechanic is ok, but requiring a player to have/borrow one in order to clear the map is a different thing. I will caveat this because I didn't do the bare minimum required for the daily map, and max risk requiring certain operators is understandable since its only meant for bragging rights.

well contingency contract was pretty much the last thing I actually looked forward to in this game and now they've ruined that I guess.

After playing a bit with it I don't feel it's that different, we're still able to select individual "risks" for each map (for the main test site the individual selection is kind of hidden in a separate view, but it's there).

Biggest change is having a new map each 3 days instead of the dailies. 4 rotating maps instead of 7, but the previous incarnation did repeat a lot of maps between seasons (not sure if that's still going to be the case or if they'll always be completely new now).

I mentioned this before when they did IS4, but their newer UI designs somehow lost the ability to communicate something to the player in a way that makes them happy, even though they are functionally the same. For example in IS4, Braving Nature 0 (the starting difficulty) gave you a 40?% point penalty, which irritated a ton of players, when it could easily be avoided by setting the penalty to 0% and just giving the player bonuses as they go up and just rescaling the points awarded accordingly.

Same for new CC. Taking the tutorial risk set for instance, 20 points for 40% attack up, then a linked 30 points for 60% attack up (stacking). In old CC, this is pretty much Risk 1 40% attack up, Risk 2 100% attack up, but you can only pick one of them. And the smaller rewards are similar to the 10+ quests we got last time. I kind of like the combinations you can make with new CC, but the old UI felt better as a player, you feel like you have a lot more freedom, despite it not actually being so.

Also Risk 18 is a lot easier to immediately grasp than 620 points math-wise. I can do R16 and feel like I'm close to the end (just 2 more upgrades), but its a lot harder to evaluate 550 points because each risk rewards varying amount of points. I might need to tack 3 or 4 nodes just to get there.

Its a small thing design-wise, but to player perception its a huge difference.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned this before when they did IS4, but their newer UI designs somehow lost the ability to communicate something to the player in a way that makes them happy, even though they are functionally the same. For example in IS4, Braving Nature 0 (the starting difficulty) gave you a 40?% point penalty, which irritated a ton of players, when it could easily be avoided by setting the penalty to 0% and just giving the player bonuses as they go up and just rescaling the points awarded accordingly.

Same for new CC. Taking the tutorial risk set for instance, 20 points for 40% attack up, then a linked 30 points for 60% attack up (stacking). In old CC, this is pretty much Risk 1 40% attack up, Risk 2 100% attack up, but you can only pick one of them. And the smaller rewards are similar to the 10+ quests we got last time. I kind of like the combinations you can make with new CC, but the old UI felt better as a player, you feel like you have a lot more freedom, despite it not actually being so.

Also Risk 18 is a lot easier to immediately grasp than 620 points math-wise. I can do R16 and feel like I'm close to the end (just 2 more upgrades), but its a lot harder to evaluate 550 points because each risk rewards varying amount of points. I might need to tack 3 or 4 nodes just to get there.

Its a small thing design-wise, but to player perception its a huge difference.

Agreed! I see what you mean, and that kind of thing definitely affects the experience. The old CC did streamline certain things better

Now that you mention it, the way difficulty was communicated was part of what I found so bad about DOS: they had the maps on the hardest mode by default and gave us operator buffs to select, which you were actually discouraged to use if you wanted to advance. It just felt bad and killed experimentation, and selecting challenges incrementally is a much better system for this type of event.

Last edited:

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Yep even Andreana which is the weakest AH, turns into a monster thanks to the buffs, and Didi actually looks like her canonically self thanks to them, and her modules, like Speccy alter, got them both since they are useful depending on the situation.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if you can dodge projectiles with the blink effect. With Logos, we know that its not just an animation in the sense they can be slowed down etc, and with Noir Alter we know there are skills that you can micro for really good effects (evade and counter). In the video posted, we saw him blinking past Faust's purple projectile, but what happens after that? Does the bullet U-turn and hit him still? or does it just miss?

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Halfway through CC (320 points). More thoughts:

More points means risks are evaluated more fairly now. In old CC, there were some really easy risks that still counted as Risk 1 because 1 was the lowest you could go, and identifying those meant you could easily jump to ~R8 without too much trouble. Now some of those are now valued at 10 points, so the difficulty scaling is more linear, which makes it really painful because you feel the difficulty way before you get to R18/620 points. And old Risk 3s were often closer to Risk 4 in difficulty and you would try not to pick them unless you had not much choice.

Previously it was (at least imo):
  • R1-8: pretty easy
  • R9-14: Needs some thinking
  • R15-18: Fair bit of tweaking
  • R19-24: Really hard but doable with varied teams
  • R25+: Really specific comps needed
Now its closer to:
  • 150 pts: Pretty easy
  • 200: Needs some thinking to pretty hard (especially when going for 2 full sets of buffs)
  • 300: Hard but doable with varied teams
  • 450: Really hard but doable with varied teams
  • 600+: Really specific comps needed (I feel like you kind of need Ines/Ceobe in this one)
And this is sort of reflected in the points given per risk
  • Squad Size down to 10 Risk 1 -> 10 (10 points per risk)
  • Friendly units -200 DEF Risk 1 -> 20 (20 points per risk)
  • Squad Ban Risk 2 -> 30 points (15 points per risk)
  • 5 Deployment Limit Risk 2 -> 30 points (15 points per risk)
  • 75% DP down Risk 3 -> 40 points (13 points per risk)
  • Full Set of Withering buffs 120 points -> Risk 4 (usually you get half the buffs for R3) (30 points per risk)
Going by the old scoring at around 15 points per risk, 620 points is like R40, or R30 if we want to be generous and give 20 points per risk. I'm not sure if that's what CN wants, but that is way too high for the last reward in the event. Actually, the difficulty tuning of the recent new events formats (POO and DOS) have all been a bit off.

Like DoS wasn't all that bad, they just put Merry's skin way too high up for rewards. If they gave out the Merry skin if you finished B Rank with no buffs, and capped rewards by finishing A rank, leaving S for pure bragging rights, DoS would 100% be better received

Same for POO and CC, if the trimmed medal was at 500, and 620 was for pure bragging rights instead, I think players will be a lot happier. I'm sure there are some low op clears of 620 that are easy to follow, but I'm not sure the average player can come up with those

How hard CC is not just the map and the risks involved (which I think are fine if leaning a little too hard on invis), but also the threshold for rewards. Locking Flamebringer skin behind the most stat-checky challenge (Max Enemy ATK/HP up + Max Friendly HP/ATK Down), and also using that as the tutorial challenge are all self-owns by Hypergryph. Pick something more fun like the rovers for the tutorial and let players buy the skin in the shop like old CC for the newer players who still tried. And yeah 620 is too high for trimmed medal.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
67OSfrJ.jpeg

My random 400 points clear that definitely doesn't scale.

I haven't looked at any other clears online yet. I like to keep trying by myself, but I might follow a guide for the trimmed.

Halfway through CC (320 points). More thoughts:

More points means risks are evaluated more fairly now. In old CC, there were some really easy risks that still counted as Risk 1 because 1 was the lowest you could go, and identifying those meant you could easily jump to ~R8 without too much trouble. Now some of those are now valued at 10 points, so the difficulty scaling is more linear, which makes it really painful because you feel the difficulty way before you get to R18/620 points. And old Risk 3s were often closer to Risk 4 in difficulty and you would try not to pick them unless you had not much choice.

Previously it was (at least imo):
  • R1-8: pretty easy
  • R9-14: Needs some thinking
  • R15-18: Fair bit of tweaking
  • R19-24: Really hard but doable with varied teams
  • R25+: Really specific comps needed
Now its closer to:
  • 150 pts: Pretty easy
  • 200: Needs some thinking to pretty hard (especially when going for 2 full sets of buffs)
  • 300: Hard but doable with varied teams
  • 450: Really hard but doable with varied teams
  • 600+: Really specific comps needed (I feel like you kind of need Ines/Ceobe in this one)
And this is sort of reflected in the points given per risk
  • Squad Size down to 10 Risk 1 -> 10 (10 points per risk)
  • Friendly units -200 DEF Risk 1 -> 20 (20 points per risk)
  • Squad Ban Risk 2 -> 30 points (15 points per risk)
  • 5 Deployment Limit Risk 2 -> 30 points (15 points per risk)
  • 75% DP down Risk 3 -> 40 points (13 points per risk)
  • Full Set of Withering buffs 120 points -> Risk 4 (usually you get half the buffs for R3) (30 points per risk)
Going by the old scoring at around 15 points per risk, 620 points is like R40, or R30 if we want to be generous and give 20 points per risk. I'm not sure if that's what CN wants, but that is way too high for the last reward in the event. Actually, the difficulty tuning of the recent new events formats (POO and DOS) have all been a bit off.

Like DoS wasn't all that bad, they just put Merry's skin way too high up for rewards. If they gave out the Merry skin if you finished B Rank with no buffs, and capped rewards by finishing A rank, leaving S for pure bragging rights, DoS would 100% be better received

Same for POO and CC, if the trimmed medal was at 500, and 620 was for pure bragging rights instead, I think players will be a lot happier. I'm sure there are some low op clears of 620 that are easy to follow, but I'm not sure the average player can come up with those

How hard CC is not just the map and the risks involved (which I think are fine if leaning a little too hard on invis), but also the threshold for rewards. Locking Flamebringer skin behind the most stat-checky challenge (Max Enemy ATK/HP up + Max Friendly HP/ATK Down), and also using that as the tutorial challenge are all self-owns by Hypergryph. Pick something more fun like the rovers for the tutorial and let players buy the skin in the shop like old CC for the newer players who still tried. And yeah 620 is too high for trimmed medal.

As someone who always stopped at Risk 18, I agree with your read. I usually unlock all rewards and get all medals, but 600+ is feeling like too much.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Managed to 350 this daily as well, making the 2nd rotation map the only one I couldn't max risk. I'm just too used to overlapping my units to create a killzone that the 1v1 Crocodile Risk (-100% damage from units not blocking) just wrecks me.

Still stuck on main map though.

EDIT: Managed 520! 100 more points to go
RywxEM4.jpeg

Last edited:

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Trimmed medal get! Fittingly the cover op was Ines

9Fc7rMr.jpeg

I couldn't get a Caster/Specialist clear for the last challenge (though it was pretty easy with Guard/Sniper). Turns out all you need to kill non-invis cars is sticking Ceobe in the bush and waiting. I really underestimate how much a single operator can do and always use more units for unneeded overkill.

EDIT: Tweaked a bit more and got 660. Pretty happy with that, not a totally original clear, but there's only 5 bushes to hide in.

Last edited: