• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
image.png

callisto.png

image.png

I don't think I've ever seen Sony put soo much people on a third party game before

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
They have been working on third party games from a while now (Battlefront 2, Fallen Order, RE Village and so on), but this really has to be the biggest contribution so far.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd say this is strange, but Embraced owned Crystal Dynamics is co-developing a game for one of Microsoft's first party titles so who knows anymore. Seems like groups like this go to wherever they're most needed.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I believe Striking Distance has their own mocap studio for animations but they used Sony's studio for performance/facial capture

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Good for them for supporting multiplat third parties this heavily. Also, VASG has some of the best cinematic tech in the whole industry and Sony's mocap studios are the best in the business, expecting high quality from Callisto Protocol at this point

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
it makes sense to have contract work in between for a team their size and speciality. Games take so fucking long to make, there aren't enough first party games to support development on exclusively since Sony has yet to let them lead on a game.

How many other studios are in the credits? A new studios first release being a AAA game like this with a fairly decent turnaround probably means a lot of outside hands.

Oct 25, 2017
You'd need to do it from the ground up as a whole VR game rather than just a mode which would probably turn out quite bad.
Praydog's Universal Unreal Engine VR Injector Mod could work with this game, but its not a given how well. RE2/3/VIII Motion controls would be some work, but 3rd person support only wouldn't be an automatic dealbreaker.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I'm exaggerating but sounds like it does have some Sony touches which helped out the end product. (What you would expect from their 1st party output)

I'm all into the single player, closed world type of games. This game sounds like it's right up my alley and has some of Sony's "touch" which is a nice bonus of sorts.

That's it. Lol

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Good for them for supporting multiplat third parties this heavily. Also, VASG has some of the best cinematic tech in the whole industry and Sony's mocap studios are the best in the business, expecting high quality from Callisto Protocol at this point
Yeah, expecting there should be some nice polish on that stuff in this, just like in some of the scenes they've been highlighting in the trailers.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I'm exaggerating but sounds like it does have some Sony touches which helped out the end product
Go watch the actual docus on the making of the game, no mentions of Sony and all hype for the actual team at Striking Distance. This was just contract work like any other for the Sony studios.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
This is why there is no Bloodborne remake. They are just working on other peoples games.

Sony did have marketing with Callisto. I wonder if this is part of it, they can also provide support.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Go watch the actual docus on the making of the game, no mentions of Sony and all hype for the actual team at Striking Distance. This was just contract work like any other for the Sony studios.
Obviously no one is going to say "thank you Sony for putting this together" in a game documentary, but clearly SIE has cultivated a great group of teams that all collaborate and work together, not to mention Sony has separate teams that help support their developers and provide technology shared by all SIE teams (such as Initiative for Common Engine).

That user is correct that is a clear quality to Sony first party titles. Their staff and talent stands out, so when you see a PlayStation support team in the credits for a game, many of their other projects are the excellent first party games Sony releases, I think it's understandable to have more faith in this game due to that team.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I didn't even know they did this stuff. 😅

But that's cool, I guess! Support for smaller studios should be celebrated!

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Striking Distance contracted them for their services.

Sony and Microsoft partnered to work on PSN's backend, Netflix still uses AWS for their servers IIRC, ILM worked on The Batman.
New studios, then! It's still a new studio, so it's still good.

Unless... Well, unless crunch is involved in some way (which I almost expect at this point).
It was. Schofield has said they will work on it going forward, but it did happen for this project.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Definitely on my watch list. If Sony is involved, this has S tier all over it.
I know you said you were exaggerating, but I actually agree to a point that Sony's involvement in a game assures me that game will probably be a quality product.

I would hope that a console maker with a proven track record of great tech/dev support for 2nd and 3rd party games, and in this case provides access to advanced tech and most likely substantial support with 150ish people, will make the game a more polished, higher quality product.

Your statement doesn't really seem that controversial, or the gist of it doesn't. To me, your "S tier" simply means you're excited at the additional polish an already great-looking game will get and your anticipating it even more.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I know you said you were exaggerating, but I actually agree to a point that Sony's involvement in a game assures me that game will probably be a quality product.

I would hope that a console maker with a proven track record of great tech/dev support for 2nd and 3rd party games, and in this case provides access to advanced tech and most likely substantial support with 150ish people, will make the game a more polished, higher quality product.

Your statement doesn't really seem that controversial, or the gist of it doesn't. To me, your "S tier" simply means you're excited at the additional polish an already great-looking game will get and your anticipating it even more.
Well said.

Sony's involvement does make the game for me to be a little bit more special, especially if they did help with scenematics or the acting portion because that's where they do shine. (Among other things)

Again, not taking credit away from the actual studio. I'm sure they put their own blood, sweat and tears into the product that with Sony's help, do reach a higher end product for everyone playing it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well knew where this thread was heading.

That said, still interesting to see so many people from Sony getting contracted out. I wasn't aware that Sony was contracting out internal support studios at this scale. Something that I'd like to see Microsoft do too (as in, acquire support studios, then use them internally, and also use them externally when there's time). VASG was in the news recently, no? Was it for this or something else? Not seeing anything in the Era search, but I guess I was probably thinking of the TLOU: Remake situation (though, I still feel there was something more recent than that).

Anyway. This is now TWO Krafton games with SIGNIFICANT 1st party platform support that STILL launch with some issues. The original, of course, being PUBG on Xbox. (Though, to be fair, it seems PS5 is the best platform for the game, by far... and I think we know why lol). So maybe it's just that Krafton and Xbox don't mix lol. Sigh.