• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yeah I haven't started this yet, kind of forgot a out it. Is this not worth watching? Lot of friends said it was only a bit better than season 4.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I haven't started this yet, kind of forgot a out it. Is this not worth watching? Lot of friends said it was only a bit better than season 4.

It's considerably worse than 4, IMO. 4 suffered from lack of the cast being together, this suffers from a lack of a coherent plot and, in most cases, humour

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
It was... good, and episode 6 was perfect AD.
I have high hopes the second half of the season will be even better, as it is usually the case.

Maeby needs a spin-off.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're letting Maeby be funny and do things this season, because they did her dirty in season 4.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. It had some funny parts but kinda sucked. Really disappointed with these last two seasons. Hopefully the second part is better.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Not bad, but not great either. Some really great gags/lines scattered throughout, but definitely not on par with 1-3.

Some of the actors have noticeably aged since S4, but Judy Greer is looking great. Maeby looks like a junkie, and it ain't the meth teeth.

Yeah, I've always had a bit of an attraction to Judy Greer in AD and she looks great in S5. She's probably the one cast member who looks better now than she did ~15 years ago.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
That hallway
Matrix-style fight
scene is as hard as I've laughed at something in a very long time. Need a gif.

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
This was such a weird season. Am I the only one who felt there was too much Tobias and nothing he did on screen actually worked? Its like the writers don't know what to do with him and just choose to double down on having him on screen. The same goes for GOB.

The season also had very little Buster, which is a shame, but Maeby and George Michael were great, easily the highlight of the season.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
I thought Hurwitz had a season 4-6 mapped out. If a subplot is hanging around it may be because in the longer term it's going somewhere.

Honestly, a lot of folks in this thread would all have given up on season 1 as it aired given the expectations you're placing on these episodes. Arrested Development has always layered jokes. Sometimes it takes time for them to hit - even the patchy season 4 had a phenomenal last third because of all the major revelations foreshadowed throughout the season.

now you're just being ridiculous, the pilot is amazing and hooked me within the first few minutes.

PROh1bited

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished this up the other night, and I found some stuff to be funny, but most of it falls flat.

After I finished it, I wasn't really looking forward to the 2nd half of the season. I think it's the way the show is now structured. Instead of having stories that are told through 1-3 episodes, it's now one big gigantic story that never really goes anywhere.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
There are so many great moments and lines in the first few episodes, even the pilot. It definitely doesn't take any time to get good.

yeah, you have:

look what the homosexuals have done to me
illusion michael, a trick is something a whore does for money
I love all my children equally - I don't care for GOB
Lucile's wink
busters cartography lessons
what do we always say is the most important thing? breakfast.
start a career as a pirate - I haven't packed for that
that's my blouse - looks better on him
maeby and george michael kissing and the SEC raiding the boat
buster's map and the blue part is land
you can't arrest a husband and a wife for the same crime

and that's just off the top of my head. can't recall a single joke from season 5.

hell, even after rewatching AD 5-10 times, there's still jokes I missed before, like the volvo/vulva photocopier joke.

edit: most of the classic AD jokes are introduced right in the pilot.

Last edited:

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
This was such a weird season. Am I the only one who felt there was too much Tobias and nothing he did on screen actually worked? Its like the writers don't know what to do with him and just choose to double down on having him on screen. The same goes for GOB.

The season also had very little Buster, which is a shame, but Maeby and George Michael were great, easily the highlight of the season.

That seemed to be the joke they were making - they don't know what to do with him or how to fit him into the family after the divorce (and even moreso with Portia basically being off the show so he doesn't even have Lindsey to interact with), so they had his character constantly trying to awkwardly force himself into the family. Now if only any of it had been funny, they might have had something there.

Soul Unison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I was really feeling the lack of Lindsay, but I hadn't put two and two together on why Tobias wasn't doing it for me to realize that it means Lindsay isn't around for him to bounce off of, which Maebe suffers to, to a lesser extent.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Finished up the last few episodes. Unfortunately it didn't get any better for me. It just feels like a show that is passing its relevance and acceptable quality point. We'll see if the 2nd half is any better when that comes.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Hurwitz had a season 4-6 mapped out. If a subplot is hanging around it may be because in the longer term it's going somewhere.

Honestly, a lot of folks in this thread would all have given up on season 1 as it aired given the expectations you're placing on these episodes. Arrested Development has always layered jokes. Sometimes it takes time for them to hit - even the patchy season 4 had a phenomenal last third because of all the major revelations foreshadowed throughout the season.

Er season 1 was funny on its own even without the layered jokes. You had a good time with each episode.

Here half of each episode feels like fodder, the other half is split between non funny jokes and decent scenes. That's kind of weak. Whether "layered jokes" pay off in 6 months or not.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
sigh what a mess.

They needed to do a time jump and come up with a new story instead of basically continuing on from Season 4. This is the least funny season of the show so far. Season 4 was certainly problematic but there were still good gags in it. In 5 episodes, I don't think I've seen an especially clever joke yet which is awful for arrested development. The pacing is too slow again like season 4 but again less funny so it hurts even more. The characters don't make sense to me anymore. Like the relationship between George Michael and Michael is baffling to me. None of it makes a lick of sense.

I'm not sure what you find hard to understand about a father and son who were extremely close, too close, but then fell out over the father not being able to let go when the son went to college to live his own life, and then over dating the same woman. Michael was so determined to not be a distant dad like his own father, that he ended up smothering his own son.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what you find hard to understand about a father and son who were extremely close, too close, but then fell out over the father not being able to let go when the son went to college to live his own life, and then over dating the same woman. Michael was so determined to not be a distant dad like his own father, that he ended up smothering his own son.

I don't buy any of it as executed. Not one bit. It all feels like wacky plot shenanigans. I was fine with Season 4 and their relationship. Everything that happens in season 5 is just a new way to extend a plotline that had run its course.

That being said, I would tolerate all of it even if I think its poor writing, if I thought it was especially funny. But it wasn't. So it fails on both accounts for me. That's cool if it works for you.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
So, I've now watched the first six episodes (just two more to go!)

I really wasn't feeling it after the first couple, but these last two I've watched (5 & 6) were starting to feel like old Arrested Development again. Not quite there yet, but really close and I enjoyed watching them (and laughed more times in those two episodes than I did through the whole of S4).

I have high hopes for the second half of the season, I'm wondering if it'll be a real return to form once they've got the S4 baggage out of the way. I'm just sad it'll probably be the last we see of the show given all that's happening surrounding it.

One thing I can't stand though is Ron Howard. He's on it (as a character) far too much for my liking and his Imagine Entertainment winking is just cringeworthy. It was a fun little nod at the end of the original run, I don't see why he has to push to be in it so hard now.

There are so many great moments and lines in the first few episodes, even the pilot. It definitely doesn't take any time to get good.

Sadly I'm one of those people who really weren't feeling it after the first few episodes. Would've given up on it to be honest, but the episode where Gob gets stabbed and put in hospital (Lucille's laugh with "this is why people hate hospitals!") plus Lucille 2's vertigo outbreak in the hospital is where I really started to enjoy it. Then I'd say the end of S1 and start of S2 is where I thought "okay, now I can see why this show is a classic".

Oh man, I was really feeling the lack of Lindsay, but I hadn't put two and two together on why Tobias wasn't doing it for me to realize that it means Lindsay isn't around for him to bounce off of, which Maebe suffers to, to a lesser extent.

Maeby has done really well this season, I've found her storyline hilarious (and I say that as someone who found her the least likeable character in the original run). But yeah, Tobias feels like dead weight - which they kind of make a joke of, but that doesn't make him any more relevant.

I'm also really missing Lindsay. I didn't realise how much I enjoyed her storylines until now when she's completely gone. Feels like a big part of the show is missing which is a real shame.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Finished last night. I really liked it after the first 2 eps.

E8: Who else was like "Oh that is obviously _____"?

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
This season wasn't good and the last episode just ends unexpectedly, I thought there'd be a follow up episode but to my surprise Netflix queued the pilot episode for me. Thankfully, the latest season of Unbreakable Kimmy isn't a chore to watch (thus far) like this was.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
This season wasn't good and the last episode just ends unexpectedly, I thought there'd be a follow up episode but to my surprise Netflix queued the pilot episode for me. Thankfully, the latest season of Unbreakable Kimmy isn't a chore to watch (thus far) like this was.
Honestly, I felt like AD flowed better than Kimmy did. Neither of them were up to their prime though, and the half seasons really killed any momentum for them

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Only the first half of the season is available now, hence why it ends abruptly. There are 16 episodes in total.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what I thought of that. It just felt like a list of excuses for why so many characters were missing and no arcs felt like they went anywhere, they felt like they were just kind of addressing stuff that happened last season without resolving anything or even moving the story forward. Honestly I think I preferred S4 (not watched the recut yet)

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I felt like AD flowed better than Kimmy did. Neither of them were up to their prime though, and the half seasons really killed any momentum for them
I think I chuckled once (that Matrix hallway scene) in AD, so far (I'm one the 3rd episode) Kimmy's been very funny.
Only the first half of the season is available now, hence why it ends abruptly. There are 16 episodes in total.
Ah...had no idea, thanks for the info. Hopefully the second half would be better.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just started it. What the hell happened to Will Arnett's face? He looks like he's wearing a loose rubber mask of himself? Like, he definitely gained weight but his forehead has this weird fold?

Deleted member 25702

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Murphybrown is great. Also, him drawing the ire of literally everyone in the room was an interesting moment. Poor guy is an innocent. "Am I the boy?" "I've never heard a man ask that question."

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
Murphybrown is great. Also, him drawing the ire of literally everyone in the room was an interesting moment. Poor guy is an innocent. "Am I the boy?" "I've never heard a man ask that question."

I'm pretty sure that's why it was a "on the next AD..." moment. Really hilarious though.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
They really shouldn't have cut the season in half.

This is what happens when they are too scared to abandon the model they established.

They obviously want to be fresh for Emmy consideration by releasing half their seasons later in the year, while desperately clawing for the word of mouth/social media attention that a weekly show naturally generates.

It's the same with Kimmy schimdt. It's a shame in cases like these when the show is so serialized.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are they censoring the fucks but not the shits? Such a weird thing to do.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to say it, but I feel like the two S4 Gob episodes are better than the entirety of these eight episodes. It's had some good moments but this just feels like a frankenstein's monster of a show at this point.
I couldn't believe how often I wished Ron Howard would stop talking for two seconds and let a scene breathe.

And speaking of Gob, I can't believe
his whole arc was centered around Tony but they couldn't get the two actors together for a single scene.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love the cast, for the most part. But Season 5 so far has been weak. I'm always glad to get more Arrested Development, because I still enjoy the show, the interactions, etc. But I feel like they could do better tbh.

And to be honest, this show needs more Gob and less Tobias.

Also was Ben Stiller expensive or unavailable? I felt like his scene was rushed or something tbh. Idk, him and Gob were pretty funny together the past few seasons lol.

Deleted member 412

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lindsay's largely no-show really hurt the season on so many levels. I would've even preferred if they just hired some other actress (like Drea de Matteo) in her place, and turned it into some meta gag. That said, I really enjoyed this half-season, even the first two episodes. It's no season 2, but just seeing the characters do anything at all is enjoyable to me.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm up to episode 5 so far and...I've not really laughed much at all this season. So many things feel "forced" to try and get a chuckle out of you that it comes off cringey instead, like the whole Ron Howard family gathering "laughing" bit.

On top of this the storyline has been a bit drawn out and not that interesting in any way in terms of grabbing you or wanting to see it play out.

Really wish we could have had something closer to like season 2 of the show.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I've watched the first two episodes and I'm really not feeling it. It's lost all the zip of the old series, it feels cheap and they don't feel like individual episodes. Just 20 minutes of often laugh-free scenes and then the credits. I don't think I smiled once in the scenes with Lucille-Tobias and Gob-George.

I know it can never be exactly like the first three seasons but these first two episodes don't really feel like AD, whereas S4 did. Of course the old structure of Michael trying to teach George Michael life lessons has to change because of the 15 years time gap but the show still needs to be about the family relationships. The convoluted character plotlines from S4 are dragging it down and the show no longer has the brisk and breezy feel of the old shows. Hopefully it gets better.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens when they are too scared to abandon the model they established.

They obviously want to be fresh for Emmy consideration by releasing half their seasons later in the year, while desperately clawing for the word of mouth/social media attention that a weekly show naturally generates.

It's the same with Kimmy schimdt. It's a shame in cases like these when the show is so serialized.
With how badly the split hurt both seasons, I don't see how either could be up for it

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I ended up enjoying it after the first 3 or 4 episodes which were a bit of a damp squib (minus that amazing hallway scene). It got much better once the cast got back together halfway through and for that I'm hopeful the second half of the season.

Still has big pacing problems, just as the original season 4 did. I would have thought Mitch had learned his lesson after that but no, some episodes are still running close to or over 30 minutes and because of it some scenes really drag on. Will we see a re-cut of seaon 5 in a few years?

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Episode 6 was probably funnier than the preceding 5 episodes.
I've started a rewatch of the beginning of the series to have a comparison point.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I'm only 6 episodes in. I think the first 3 episodes are a bit slow (especially episode one-why did Netflix autoplay a recap when the first 10 minutes of the episode are basically a recap), but I love it now. GOB is again the standout character. There's still some weird editing/production choices like in season 4 though. Some weird shots that look green screeny or like the actors weren't on set together, but might just be weirdly framed. Some weird ADR in one or two scenes. Also like in season 4, the plot goes in a different enough direction that it's a bit jarring at first. Also like in season 4, the timeline gets fucked up as suddenly two months after season 4 (which ended in May 2012) is 2015. Not a big deal, but it does harm the idea of a murder mystery that the viewers could possibly solve. Overall, I really like what I've seen so far. It's doing a really good job balancing the feel of the first three seasons with the more plotty, character developing nature of the fourth.