Scrubblenaut

Oct 25, 2017
The Kirby one is alright, but it's one of those kinds of artbooks that's mainly just scans of promo art you can easily see online with no commentary. The last few pages had some cool behind the scenes stuff, but otherwise, it's not the type of book I go for. It is kind of interesting seeing the art style change over the years, but I kinda wish for some more development pics & such.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. That's kind of where my head is at as well after checking out some impressions online.

have they still not printed an art book for THE OCEAN WAVES 海がきこえる ?
It's my favourite Ghibli and features some of their greatest artworks, some of which is online.

I hear ya. There are plenty of other Studio Ghibli movies where it would be nice for them to have artbooks published. It sucks they've stuck primarily to the films that Hayao Miyazaki directed. Plenty of other great films, with great art, in their catalog where he didn't take center stage. The only other Ghibli film artbook that I'm familiar with is THE ART OF FROM UP ON POPPY HILL, which only has a Japanese version released.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any reviews of the monster hunter world artbook? I heard it's good but binding sucks

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
My personnal best off 2020 :

Mana Books (french) Sekiro Official Artworks :

couverture-artbook-sekiro-mana-books.jpg

Full format, hardcover, sublime inner dust jacket with the world's map, even more beautiful cover and FromSoft art goodness inside. Yes all around.

The art of Death Stranding :

deathstrab01.jpg

Shinkawa god tier character design and painting with a whole lot of bloodborne tier of horror material. I think its a must have along the game.

Anime Architecture :

61kcUCklAVL_1300x1300.jpg

Just released, instantly became one of my fav this year. It hits right into all the anime movies I grew up with, its a superb object and a fascinating read. Can't recommend enough

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Anime Architecture is wonderful, definitely one of the best books I've purchased this year.

This looks interesting. There a few preview images on the amazon page

404Ender

Oct 25, 2017
Is Anime Architecture still available anywhere? Looks sold out at a few places I've checked : /

Can't believe I missed that one, looks amazing

edit: found it!

www.barnesandnoble.com

Anime Architecture: Imagined Worlds and Endless Megacities|Hardcover

An unrivaled visual guide to the cityscapes and buildings of the most celebrated and influential anime movies.Anime has been influencing cinema, literature, comic books, and video games around the world for decades. Part of what makes anime so popular are the memorable and...

I never think to check brick & mortar stores anymore lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately not. I fumbled my way through it with Google Translate. Alarmingly, the publisher seems to be out of stock already. His children's book EMMA is still available but I haven't ordered that one yet.

UnluckyKate The Sekiro book looks amazing. I still want to play it so I won't spoil myself further.

I played it on pc and made a thread about how i used an easy mod and how amazing it was if it can motivate you

www.resetera.com

LTTP : Sekiro with an Easy Mod, probably end up my fav FromSoft experience

Yeah, I played Sekiro with an Easy Mod from Nexus Mod. This made the game very easy, but amazingly fun. I loved Bloodborne (plat) and DS3 (3 playthroughs), for the combat, exploration, level design, visual design... But Sekiro kicked my ass very hard and I didn't felt having to deal with the...

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I also support that Anime Architecture book. Something that I'm pretty sure this thread alerted me to the existence of and it really surprised me with how high quality it is.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Anyone have any impressions to share on the Dragon Quest and Kirby artbooks?
I made a pretty thorough post about the Japanese edition of the Dragon Quest 30th Anniversary Art Book a couple years ago in this thread:
1upuper said:
...As for the contents, the book is not quite as lengthy as you might expect. It's a thick book but the pages themselves are high quality cardstock and so it only has a page count of 240. When you couple the page count with their goal of providing at least some artwork for almost every game, spin-off or otherwise (we'll get to that), it means that you don't get a whole lot of art for each game. That's definitely too bad, but what is here is excellent.

The book goes in chronological order, however artwork for remakes follows the artwork of the original release, so there is some back and forth time-wise. It's really interesting to see how Toriyama drew, say, the hero from 5 for the Super Famicom release versus the PS2 release on the next page. Seeing the evolution of his artwork is one of the best parts of the book. Now, most of the artwork in the book, at least in the latter half, consists of PC, NPC, and final boss designs as well as promo artwork for each game. The DQ I-VI sections do include a fair amount of monster designs but it isn't comprehensive. If you're a DQ diehard like I am, this probably means you'll also want to pick up the Monster Encyclopedia released for the 25th anniversary if you don't already have it; conversely, that book doesn't make this one obsolete given their difference focuses.

Now, as I mentioned earlier, *almost* every DQ and remake is included here. It even includes some of the pretty obscure ones, like Kenshin Dragon Quest, Yangus's Mystery Dungeon, and Torneko no Daibouken 3. However, these more obscure spin-offs only get a couple of images; usually the cover artwork and maybe a character design. They actually did include Battle Road 1 and 2, but only barely; their presence in this book is limited to a couple new illustrations of past DQ heroes. It also includes the DQ XI hero design at the very end, which is a nice touch. It also includes the box art for Joker 3 and Builders as well as the original characters from Heroes II, so the book feels very up to date.

Now I'm gonna be super nitpicky here for a second. The book doesn't actually include art from absolutely every game. It's missing art from Monster Parade, a couple mobile games including Super Light, the cellphone remake of the Monsters games (though it includes the box art for the PSX remake), Theatrhythm Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest Wars, and most notably, Itadaki Street. I'm a bit surprised by that last omission, honestly. As for the others though, their absence is barely noticeable.

There's very little text in the book, and what little there is is in Japanese, of course. The book begins with a foldout timeline of the series' various releases, and the book ends with some brief discussion of the progression of Toriyama's art for the series and a little message from Yuji Horii. Otherwise, the text is limited to the names of monsters/NPCs/character classes and the context for the promo or packaging art. If you know Hiragana/Katakana it's cool to read the Japanese monster names, but if you don't, you're hardly missing anything at all. It's very import-friendly.

In sum, this is a must-own art book for any DQ fan. The presentation is top notch and it has great breadth. However, due to the breadth and the 240 pages, it lacks depth for a lot of the games included. It would be awesome to someday get a series of art books which include *everything* but for now, I'll gladly take this release.

Edit: One more thing. The book includes one image for one of the Dragon Quest anime, but none for Dai no Daibouken.

If there's another DQ book you'd like to know about, let me know. I might have it.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Just snagged that Anime Architecture book on Barnes and nobbles, where it is still a reasonable price. On Amazon it is already $108 so get that sucker fast before it goes even higher.

Gangrel

Oct 25, 2017
Got an amazon giftcard for Christmas and wanted to pick up that anime architecture book. Think it'll restock on amazon or should I but it from Barnes and Nobles before they sell out as well?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it! Gonna track down a copy and jam it into my next book budget lol.

I should do an audit of outstanding preorders as well...

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Anyone else find it bizarre that there are no dedicated art books for NetherRealm games like Mortal Kombat and Injustice?

I'd kill for a MK retrospective.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I got the Ori and the Will of the Wisps book for Christmas

I am now out of space in my room and may have to relocate some books downstairs as they start to spill onto my floor

Puck

Oct 25, 2017
Not gaming, but I got the Art of Wolfwalkers book for Christmas, and like the film, absolutely love it. Also got the Art of Game of Thrones for Christmas, and like the show, enjoy parts of it immensely but am ultimately disappointed (not enough character or costume or dragon art).

Looking at picking up the Art of Crash Bandicoot 4, even though I haven't tried the game, since I'm a fan of Nicholas Kole and his work on Spyro.

Lovely time to be into Art books!

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is Anime Architecture still available anywhere? Looks sold out at a few places I've checked : /

Can't believe I missed that one, looks amazing

edit: found it!

www.barnesandnoble.com

Anime Architecture: Imagined Worlds and Endless Megacities|Hardcover

An unrivaled visual guide to the cityscapes and buildings of the most celebrated and influential anime movies.Anime has been influencing cinema, literature, comic books, and video games around the world for decades. Part of what makes anime so popular are the memorable and...

I never think to check brick & mortar stores anymore lol
I got this one for Christmas funnily enough!

Scrubblenaut

Oct 25, 2017
I made a pretty thorough post about the Japanese edition of the Dragon Quest 30th Anniversary Art Book a couple years ago in this thread:

If there's another DQ book you'd like to know about, let me know. I might have it.

Thanks a bunch! That was very helpful. Appreciate the offer, but I don't have any questions about other DQ books at this time. Only the 30th Anniversary Art Book was included in that particular sale. I ended up placing an order for it, the Kirby book, and one of the remaining Studio Ghibli books I still needed to get. Still on the fence for the Kirby book, but I figured "buy now, think later". Can make a decision to return it after the shipment is received.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
ejanimestore.com

[Includes a 10th Anniversary Bonus Item] Danganronpa Series 10th Anniversary Commemorative Danganronpa Decade | EJ ANiME STORE

[10th Anniversary Bonus] Hope's Peak Academy School Store Clear File The Hope's Peak Academy school store is known for its clear files! A clear file with a design featuring the characters dressed in fancy attire will be available as a bonus item to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the...
atleast it's something i guess
NOTICE: Text Translation]
English and Traditional Chinese translations will be provided for some of the original Japanese text..
①Danganronpa Series 10th Anniversary Art Book Collection I: Character Materials.
*Character names will be translated..
②Danganronpa Series 10th Anniversary Art Book Collection II: Artwork.
*Title names and publication information will be translated..
③Danganronpa Series 10th Anniversary Art Book Collection III: Storyboards.
*Episode names will be translated..
④Danganronpa Series 10th Anniversary Art Book Collection IV: Decade.
*All text will be translated..
①②③: Text will be printed in the physical book..
④: Text will be available digitally as a PDF. Download details will be provided in the book. .

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Did they ever release an artbook of Muramasa Demonblade / Rebirth and Odin Sphere?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
There's a tiny hardcover artbook for Odin Sphere. Don't spend too much on it. Not for Muramasa as far as I'm aware.

One for Dragon's Crown is available in japanase and english through Udon, its good.

Thanks, I already have the DC one in Japanese and the small Odin Sphere that I got from the Collector's Edition. I had hoped that they would've made a larger sized one for Muramasa and Odin Sphere, but I guess that's out of the question. Thanks though!

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Did an art book for Red Dead Redemption 2 ever come out?

Nope, which is insane.

Then again, Rockstar games haven't really enjoyed any type of artbooks, outside of the stuff they've released with special editions like GTAIV.

I made an earlier post lamenting the lack of artbooks for stuff like Mortal Kombat.

It really is bizarre.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Nope, which is insane.

Then again, Rockstar games haven't really enjoyed any type of artbooks, outside of the stuff they've released with special editions like GTAIV.

I made an earlier post lamenting the lack of artbooks for stuff like Mortal Kombat.

It really is bizarre.
Wow, that is crazy. What a missed opportunity! I'm wondering if that is what that phantom order I have on Amazon dated August 28, 2018 for $19.81 from Random House that has yet to ship and shows just "Unknown" and "No Image Available" is. If so I should probably just cancel it.

Yeah, I have the GTAIV CE artbook. It is tiny but I love it nonetheless, especially the evolution of logos like Sprunk over time that appear throughout the city. Shame they never did a proper artbook. I have one for Mafia III that I absolutely love.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for an artbook as a self-gift, which one would you recommend that has commentary on the development of the game? I loved the Heart of Dead Cells and the Art of CupHead for this reason, I'd say I give 50% importance to the art and 50% to the dev commentary. These are some I'm interested in:
  • Dead Space: I loved the games and it seems the book has a lot of commentary from the devs and not just artists.
  • Doom Eternal: Very interested in this one because I love the gameplay systems in the game, but it seems that there's almost no dev commentary and everything's just lore.
  • Doom2016: Same as above.
So, is any of the above a good fit for what I want or would you recommend something else?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The Art of Guild Wars 2: 25th Anniversary Edition (2020) by Arenanet. I have my issues with this book, but it's great to have a hard copy of Kekai Kotaki's and Daniel Dociu work for this series. I haven't come across another game with an atmosphere and world quite like Guild Wars.

IoLHQyp.png

Oh fuck, I had no idea they released a new art book. I still have the one from pre-release. Well, just ordered that now. :)

Also does anyone know the situation with the FFXIV Heavensward books on Amazon? Like the Shadowbringers book was the first to be sold on Amazon and then they added the two from Heavensward and... well, I ordered them in August and nothing has happened. Obvious pandemic and all, but still pretty odd.

Edit: Wait, apparently it's not releasing on amazon till June 15th, 2021..? but why tho?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for an artbook as a self-gift, which one would you recommend that has commentary on the development of the game? I loved the Heart of Dead Cells and the Art of CupHead for this reason, I'd say I give 50% importance to the art and 50% to the dev commentary. These are some I'm interested in:
  • Dead Space: I loved the games and it seems the book has a lot of commentary from the devs and not just artists.
  • Doom Eternal: Very interested in this one because I love the gameplay systems in the game, but it seems that there's almost no dev commentary and everything's just lore.
So, is any of the above a good fit for what I want or would you recommend something else?

The Ori book has a lot of discussion on the iterative process that goes alongside the art. It's one of the best I've seen and I'd put it right up there with the Cuphead book for that reason.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Dead Space is a massive book. Mind you, it covers all three games, but not in equal matters. It has a strong focus on the first two with bits of the third. But hte art is really put forward and display beautifully, with TONS of comments. Its really a must have if you enjoy the games.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Ori book has a lot of discussion on the iterative process that goes alongside the art. It's one of the best I've seen and I'd put it right up there with the Cuphead book for that reason.
Do you mean the artbook for Will of the Wisps or for the first one? The devs were very active here in design discussions and I love how they think so this might be just perfect for me!

Dead Space is a massive book. Mind you, it covers all three games, but not in equal matters. It has a strong focus on the first two with bits of the third. But hte art is really put forward and display beautifully, with TONS of comments. Its really a must have if you enjoy the games.
I haven't played the third one, but 1 and 2 are among my favourite horror games so this sounds really well. Thanks a lot for the info!

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clearing that out. I think I'm going to flip a coin to decide if I get this first or the Dead Space one :)

I might lean more towards Dead Space since that book is older. Whenever it goes out of stock the price will likely skyrocket like it does for almost everything else. Still kicking myself for not getting the book for Evil Within when I had the chance.