Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Ah shit. I don' think I ever got around to getting the MvC Complete Works book! D'oh! It's expensive now, as I expected.

Dark Horse are releasing the Final Fantasy Ultimania books that came out in Japan a few years ago, now in English.

Edit: Looks I did have it! Must've forgot! Phew! Just need to check its condition. I had to throw all my books into storage, so I'm hoping they haven't collapsed or something.

Nerevarine

Oct 27, 2017
I say absolutely, It compiles all of the art from the main games and some cool concept art stuff. All bosses, enemies, and weapons in the series are represented and theres even a small section for spin offs (VJ,MVC3, PXZ, even character layouts from the anime). Plus 25 pages of interview questions covering all 4 games. One small gripe is the book has no input from Kamiya though he is mentioned multiple times. The DMC1 interview is covered by the two motion artist (Tomoya Ohtsubo,Yuichiro Hiraki) from that game.

It looks pretty awesome, thanks guys! Just ordered it from Amazon!

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017
I bought the french version of the Bloodborne artbook. Here's a comparaison with Udon's : but my phone suck in the dark and I'm taking these in the evening and these are dark books. I'm no a very smart man, so I used HDR and pictures are shit. Sorry. I hope they still are useful enough to make my point.

First : the content is EXACTLY the same. Same pages, same layout. 100% copy pasted, but text is all in french now. (mind you, there is barely any text, only monsters, places and weapons name. Sometimes a few lines of the in game poetry / lore from runes or else)

capture4csyl.png

Second : it's hardcover. Yes, it's much nice that the glossy softcover Udon made. It has a nice touch feeling to it too !

capture2fisbd.png

(french edition on the left, Udon's softcover edition on the right). This picture may be missleading : there is the SAME number of pages on both book. It's just that Udon used a much thinner paper.

capture35esa5.png

The spine is inverted because it's a french book. Left is top. Right is bottom. I kinda liked Ludwig's sword on the spine on Udon's it was a nice touch.

Now the paper quality : Udon's was criticized because they used a super glossy, magazine like paper that doesn't look nor feel very good in hands. French edition use a much more traditional half grainy half glossy paper that is much better and on par with traditional artbooks. Of course pics are hard to make to prove this and I did this quick and dirty with my shit phone but you'll see the gloss paper vs normal paper (against strong light to illustrate extreme reflection) :

Udon :
capture4nqs7l.png

Mana Books :
capture5coskw.png

conclusion : if you are a french reader do NOT hesitate. Buy the french edition locally in your bookshop. It's cheaper, better, and you do something good for a local book shop and local publisher.
If you are not speaking french : there's really not much text. None are commentary it's only names or in game lore/ poetry. Up to you to decide what edition you want, if you have the choice.

The only thing I really dislike about the Udon edition is the (very) floppy cover but, had I known this, I would have gladly waited and bought the French edition. I'm a bit rusty with the language, but given how much text this artbook has, that'd hardly have been a problem.
Oh well, I guess seeing the three Souls artbooks on the shelf in a more or less similar format - same direction for the text on the spine, sword at the bottom - is cool enough.

MukuMuku

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, the books are cheaper on Amazon Japan (3240yen each) and they are shipped by Amazon Japan directly via DHL. On the S-E Store you're paying 40-50 USD per book plus insane domestic shipping. Amazon Japan will get you all 3 books plus shipping for about 100 USD.

The only thing you can't get from Amazon Japan is the English Encyclopaedia Eorzea.

Appreciate these! Off to Amazon JP then.

I have always wondered why SE Store's shipping is overpriced.

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017
Speaking of the Souls artbooks, I just had a look at Dark Souls III Design Works, and those who were disappointed by the content of Bloodborne Official Artworks will most likely be by this one too. Unlike the DS and especially DS II artbooks, there's basically no commentary throughout the volume, and no interview at the end. It's very thick (336 pages), exhaustive when it comes to the quantity and quality of the artworks, but there's nothing in terms of descriptions of the design process, sources of inspiration and the likes. Since the art is splendid I don't really mind, but I know many - such as UnluckyKate - value such things.

On the plus side, since there's very little text (and, just like in the Bloodborne artbook, it's in English too), those who cannot wait for it to be translated can import it from Japan without having to worry about missing anything.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the Souls artbooks, I just had a look at Dark Souls III Design Works, and those who were disappointed by the content of Bloodborne Official Artworks will most likely be by this one too. Unlike the DS and especially DS II artbooks, there's basically no commentary throughout the volume, and no interview at the end. It's very thick (336 pages), exhaustive when it comes to the quantity and quality of the artworks, but there's nothing in terms of descriptions of the design process, sources of inspiration and the likes. Since the art is splendid I don't really mind, but I know many - such as UnluckyKate - value such things.

On the plus side, since there's very little text (and, just like in the Bloodborne artbook, it's in English too), those who cannot wait for it to be translated can import it from Japan without having to worry about missing anything.

What ?! ... oh.... No... is it available in book shops in japan atm ?

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

Awww that's a bummer. I really liked the commentary of the second book. I'll still pick it up to complete the set, but in no rush now.

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017
What ?! ... oh.... No... is it available in book shops in japan atm ?

Sure:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/DARK-SOULS-III-DESIGN-WORKS/dp/4047331945/

You can also look at a preview there. I stand corrected: There is some text exclusively in Japanese. However, the only 'long' passage is this one:

Then rest of the book is like this:

I suppose you can enjoy the book just fine even if you don't know that number 2 or 3 say "graveyard" or whatever.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Sure:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/DARK-SOULS-III-DESIGN-WORKS/dp/4047331945/

You can also look at a preview there. I stand corrected: There is some text exclusively in Japanese. However, the only 'long' passage is this one:

Then rest of the book is like this:

I suppose you can enjoy the book just fine even if you don't know that number 2 or 3 say "graveyard" or whatever.

cool thanks. I have someone in japan for another 10 days. I'll order this one and Dragon's Crown and P5. Expect some pictures in 10-ish days !

Number9

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

Good to know but I think I'll wait for the English version anyway, it gets expensive to import it from Japan.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
WORLD of WARCRAFT ~ Utimate Visual Guide ~ ( Expanded/updated 2016 edition)
Hardcover - 216 pages
Part lore book, part history book, part Warcraft encyclopedia, part artbook. Not at all expensive, very high quality materials and print and FULL of information.

Super recommended!!

IzwK0BY.jpg

WE0HPJU.jpg

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These Diablo books are some of the coolest game related books ever IMO.
Both books are written as real in-world notebooks for the characters Tyrael and Cain with scribbles and hand written notes and long lore texts from them

Top of the line build quality with Book of Cain having a worn out texture in the edge of every single paper and Tyrael's book having gold tinted paper edges.
Full of Diablo lore and old school gritty, colorless sketches. Both have hard covers with raised designs and maps hidden in a paper compartiment simulating a wax-sealed letter, in the inner back cover.

Last edited:

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that Diablo book is hella cool. I love that they actually put the effort to make it feel like an actual object from the game world rather than just a regular book about it. Those sketches are also exactly what I want to see from a Diablo game in terms of art, they feel like a direct continuation of the art design in Diablo II. The only drawback is that these books are relatively small compared to most other regular art books.

MukuMuku

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, but I only had a moment to thumb through it briefly. It's nice and contains a lot of information; like a large SF encyclopedia with copious artwork included.

I'll post some more detailed impressions soon.

I wonder if Udon will have a 30th anniversary book for SF that includes V....

To be honest, I thought of this book as a knock-off entry about SF's history. Haha

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
These Diablo books are some of the coolest game related books ever IMO.
Both books are written as real in-world notebooks for the characters Tyrael and Cain with scribbles and hand written notes and long lore texts from them

Top of the line build quality with Book of Cain having a worn out texture in the edge of every single paper and Tyrael's book having gold tinted paper edges.
Full of Diablo lore and old school gritty, colorless sketches. Both have hard covers with raised designs and maps hidden in a paper compartiment simulating a wax-sealed letter, in the inner back cover.

Where can you get these beauties?

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
As someone with little interest in Diablo, those look really cool, I saw some star wars books a couple weeks ago that did the same thing with the frayed edges and it's really impressive (like a sith training manual thing), almost got them for that alone, but they were just tiny pocket books without much content I cared about.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
There are also Diablo sketchbooks with almost identical cover... I had to triple check when I was ordering the book because they had a bunch of entries in the database just labeled "Diablo III" and they were all different things.

latest

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
2029824ad82cbfa02c8eaee7723878461ffcbed3.jpg

I would pay for this book but Amplitude made it available for free as digital download through steam. Godbless them.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got P5's artbook.

Really not a fan of the exterior. Soft cover, plastic wrap cover, etc... Especially for 450 pages; I fear this wont stay in shape for long.

But the content is top notch. Love the ink concept. Love the commentary. Love the full page arts.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
So are there any deals around this time of year? I know Amazon usually does their 20% off one book this month.

MukuMuku

Oct 31, 2017
None yet. People would usually post when there's one available.

Last month's Audible promo was really a steal. I was able to snag the following books with the help of friends:

The Legend of Heroes SC
The Eyes of Bayonetta
Megaman Tribute (Hardcover)

We still have two unused credits, and I just can't decide which ones to pick.

The B&N store would occassionally have promotional discounts. The price is a bit higher there, and the inventory stock is almost the same as Amazon's.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Dark Horse just officially announced the Limited Edition version for the God of War artbook. Its available for pre-order right now
https://gear.playstation.com/en-us/the-art-of-god-of-war-exclusive-edition
book-gow-artof-spread.jpg

The Art of God of War Limited Edition is a gorgeous artifact that appears to have come straight from Kratos and Atreus' adventures! The beautiful tome has a realistic leather-like cover with bright silver foil and red gilded pages. Enclosed in a clamshell case with a cloth-textured lining, The Art of God of War Limited Edition also includes a cloth-covered collector's portfolio with two gallery-quality lithographs, and will be available for purchase through the PlayStation Gear store.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my eyes on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Complete Works and Neo Geo Visual History books. Is one of them better than the other? Which should I buy first?

Edit: bought the NeoGeo one.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Hm? Like page length? The standard edition is 184 pages while the LE is 224 pages, so there's a difference there in content it seems.

I mean physical size. The Dark Horse artbooks are 9x12, and I think the LEs dimensions are a bit larger. I prefer when everything looks uniform on my shelf since I alphabetize my books within their sections. It looks weird if there's a bigger book in the middle of a row of otherwise standard-sized books. And I usually don't find the LE artbooks to be worth the extra cash, so I stick with the regular releases.

Scrubblenaut

Oct 25, 2017
Had a "Treat Yo' Self" day after several days' worth of extra hours at work and ended up importing the Tactics Ogre Art Works from Amazon.co.jp. Pretty sweet book. I think I might even have the game related to the artbook. Will have to get my Vita working again to give it a play.

Brief review and video from Parka Blogs.

Anyone including any art/design books on their Christmas/Holiday wishlists? Or will be gifting such items to others? If so, what are you gifting or hoping to receive?

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
Had a "Treat Yo' Self" day after several days' worth of extra hours at work and ended up importing the Tactics Ogre Art Works from Amazon.co.jp. Pretty sweet book. I think I might even have the game related to the artbook. Will have to get my Vita working again to give it a play.

That's actually an interesting question. Are people often buying art books for games they have not played and do not intend to play? I guess in the end good art is good art. Personally I'm sticking to just the art books for the games I've played or stuff I'm familiar with and fond of. For example I know the art in Destiny is stellar, but I'm not a fan of the game and probably will never bother with the sequel so buying that art book would feel a bit of a waste. I guess it's also a way to limit my spending sprees, there is so much good stuff out there it's overwhelming.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
That's actually an interesting question. Are people often buying art books for games they have not played and do not intend to play? I guess in the end good art is good art. Personally I'm sticking to just the art books for the games I've played or stuff I'm familiar with and fond of. For example I know the art in Destiny is stellar, but I'm not a fan of the game and probably will never bother with the sequel so buying that art book would feel a bit of a waste. I guess it's also a way to limit my spending sprees, there is so much good stuff out there it's overwhelming.
Depends on the game. I bought the Persona 5 art book despite not really enjoying my time with the game itself since the art work was fantastic. I mostly view gaming art books as stand alone art books that don't need experience with the game to enjoy.

Number9

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I intend to get The Art of ME: Catalyst some day. Only played 6 hours of the Origin trial and I'm not planning on buying it. As for Dishonored 2 I don't have time to play the game now but I'm afraid the book won't last long available, so...

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Brief review and video from Parka Blogs.

Anyone including any art/design books on their Christmas/Holiday wishlists? Or will be gifting such items to others? If so, what are you gifting or hoping to receive?
Nice! It's such a great game with awesome music and beautiful artwork. :D I need to grab this book someday.

medli

Oct 28, 2017
Only one I currently own is Hyrule Historia.

Really want to get:

The Art of Persona 5
Nier Automata World Guide Art Collection (JP Import)
Okami Official Complete Works

Now that I think about it these would be good things to ask for Christmas. I probably wouldn't spend money on them myself but if I got one as a gift I'd be super happy.

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata World Guide Art Collection (JP Import)
Perhaps you know it already but I've read that the Nier books are not exactly good art books so you might ask around before buying.

As for Dishonored 2 I don't have time to play the game now but I'm afraid the book won't last long available, so...
That's another dilemma, plenty of games that I might eventually get to play someday and enjoy the art enough to want to add the art book to my colection. The prices go nowhere but up though, so the longer I wait the more expensive the whole endeavour becomes :/

ZoronMaro

Oct 30, 2017
I have both a personal wishlist on Amazon with over over 50 artbooks on it, and a public one for my family to see that has a select few, so yes I hope to get one.

Well I have quite a few artbooks that are focused on artists not games and for many of those I have little to no intention to play the games they worked on/watch shows they helped with/or etc. so if that counts than all the time yea. Otherwise if I think if I like a game enough to get a book focused solely about it then I probably care enough to get the game too and at least play a little bit (game's often cheaper that the book too if it isn't a recent one).

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to focus on games that I have played, but will totally pick up for games that I haven't if the art is good.

For Christmas I am asking for the Gravity Daze book (never played it, in fact) and a used copy of the SNK Posters Collection (its old, can't remember when it was released though).

I could add so many others but I try to balance it out with other things I want and those are the two I want the most right now.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Ahh...missed this thread so much!! Huge fan of art books.
Recently got Bloodborne complete works, dint find it that bad. And pre-ordered the God of War limited edition artbook, its a bit on the expensive side but its God of War...couldnt resist :)

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
That's another dilemma, plenty of games that I might eventually get to play someday and enjoy the art enough to want to add the art book to my colection. The prices go nowhere but up though, so the longer I wait the more expensive the whole endeavour becomes :/

I've started to buy good reviewed books about game that I look forward to play because these books prices are going up while the games prices are going down. I have sealed book of games I have yet to buy.

I'm going to japan for xmas. I'll most likely come back with another 10kg of books lol.

I tend to focus on games that I have played, but will totally pick up for games that I haven't if the art is good.

For Christmas I am asking for the Gravity Daze book (never played it, in fact) and a used copy of the SNK Posters Collection (its old, can't remember when it was released though).

I could add so many others but I try to balance it out with other things I want and those are the two I want the most right now.

Gravity Daze art book is might fine. Most excellent choice. Try the games, they are nice. Controls can be awkward but the characters and universe are charming.

If you are into SNK art, give a look to the NEO GEO : A VISUAL HISTORY by Bitmap books it's incredible.

colinp

Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Daze art book is might fine. Most excellent choice. Try the games, they are nice. Controls can be awkward but the characters and universe are charming.

If you are into SNK art, give a look to the NEO GEO : A VISUAL HISTORY by Bitmap books it's incredible.

Would love to play Gravity but alas I don't have a PS4. Maybe someday in the far future... ;)

Ah yes! The Neo Geo: A Visual History is the other book I asked for. Completely forgot, thanks for the reminder. It looks aaaaaaaamazing!

Japan has some great deals on Amazon.jp and Mercari. It is relatively easy to find old art books and guides for cheap. I picked up the original Panzer Dragoon guide the other day for ¥500. Has lots of enemy sketches mixed in with the guide. Similarly, I picked up the Monster Hunter Illustrations 2 book for ¥1500.

Then there were the three Sengoku Basara art books I got for ¥1 (plus ¥257 s/h)... Good stuff. ;)

Last edited:

Skip

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Japan, I want to order a book from there (first time ever) and the shipping costs to Europe are ridiculous. The price of the book itself is attractive but if I read it correctly the shipping will more than double the total cost :(