TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
How are people approaching side quests here? Doing them all or just doing a few in between main quests? I feel like there a lot of them and not all of them are too interesting.

I've done a lot of them, probably close to 50. Most were done in-between missions to level up, but I also went out of my way to do some as I traveled. I wouldn't just go to the next main mission, and would try to get a level or two ahead of them.

Now that I'm in what I presume is the final section, the main mission went from level 32 to 35 all of a sudden, so now I find myself having to grind. I was level 32 when I started the last part, which had referenced being the part of no return.

It's a bit frustrating, because I just want to see the end of the story and not have to grind any more.

PensivePen

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing today, love the atmosphere and the storytelling has been pretty nice so far too. The new combat isn't bad though it feels very rough. I really hate that there's no customizable HUD though. I want to keep information like enemy health and how much damage I'll do with an arrow, but get rid of the compass, quest markers, etc and the preset options aren't satisfactory at all. Hoping they add in additional HUD options in a patch, though not holding my breath.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
You can't disassemble certain weapons, if you got them from the Gold Edition or maybe even the in-game store. It simply won't let you.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Where did you get that?
It's the 'Black Hood' outfit, you get it from a short quest after killing all the Phylakes. The highest lvl Phylakes are level 40 but I managed to kill them on level 38 without too many problems.

Also, is it me or do the upgraded armor pieces look... bad? They look like cheap knockoff jewelry instead of the real thing. I wish I could downgrade them, they make the modest default outfit look like shit :/

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I was taking a boat through a lake (I love how rivers and lakes looks in this game) and then I realized what this game needs.... fishing! Ubisoft pls.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else finding themselves constantly overleveled? I am playing this game like I do most rpgs and I hate leaving sidequests unfinished. I am in Alexandria now and the main quests are like lv 10 but I'm lv 15...

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WOW the game actually has unique animal vs animal finishers lol
came across a 3 way fight between a croc, a cheetah and a hippo.
cheetah toppled the croc, pounced on him and bit his neck repeatedly to kill him
and the hippo...well
he did this
https://imgur.com/a/r8yWp
kmid1v2.jpg

UUPHjMN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GMgEc7N.jpg

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with this game I just don't like the levelled enemies in the game, if I sneak up on a guy a stab him in the head with my wrist blade he should die no matter what level I am.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm enjoying my time so far, but I just wanted to comment on how disappointing the music is. What should have been a highly emotional flashback ended up feeling weaker than it should have due to the complete lack of reinforcing background music.

Assassin's Creed 2 did a much better job of this. I'm gonna guess Jesper Kyd is not involved this time around.
Kyd last work was AC Brotherhood and part of AC revelations, he is definitely missed bringing the atmosphere to life.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm done with this game I just don't like the levelled enemies in the game, if I sneak up on a guy a stab him in the head with my wrist blade he should die no matter what level I am.
Remember to upgrade your hidden blade. :D The animation specifically shows that the attempt wasn't successful and that the enemy blocks it to some extent.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
How is the general consensus about this game? It got mixed reviews, but claim it's the best AC since 2.
Absolutely love the setting and visuals and knowing that Ubisoft can pull of pretty impressive historical environments this normally should be a no brainer for me. But the actual gameplay looks maybe a bit to janky; this observation is only based on video reviews and streams tough, could be a an entirely other affair playing the game in person...

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Dude don't dismiss the game like that, it's just a new mechanic. The hidden blade is your most important upgrade, keep an eye on it. Just kill the guys old style for now.
How is the general consensus about this game? It got mixed reviews, but claim it's the best AC since 2.
Absolutely love the setting and visuals and knowing that Ubisoft can pull of pretty impressive historical environments this normally should be a no brainer for me. But the actual gameplay looks maybe a bit to janky; this observation is only based on video reviews and streams tough, could be a an entirely other affair playing the game in person...
The best AC, by far, underrated by the press, fantastic RPG.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else finding themselves constantly overleveled? I am playing this game like I do most rpgs and I hate leaving sidequests unfinished. I am in Alexandria now and the main quests are like lv 10 but I'm lv 15...

Yeah, I do all the sidequests available and I'm constantly overleveled. Mind you sometimes the gap closes a bit more when you advance the story, but yeah... you overlevel if you do all the quests.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Hey there!

Quick question: What do you do with your hard-earned money in the game? I don't feel like buying weapons since they pop at every corner. Will it come useful later in the game? Any tips on how to spend it? Thx!

This is my second day with the game and, if my first impressions were really (REALLY) rough, I start to dig it a lot now. Just like any open world game, I am (feeling) already over powered though. I guess I'm doing too much side stuff / explorations? The game is really, really, really generous with XP.

Also, even if I am really not a fan of the writing, I like that it goes straight to the point when you start a side quest. It is not dragging and dragging and dragging. Good point, Ubi!

idonteven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey there!

Quick question: What do you do with your hard-earned money in the game? I don't feel like buying weapons since they pop at every corner. Will it come useful later in the game? Any tips on how to spend it? Thx!

This is my second day with the game and, if my first impressions were really (REALLY) rough, I start to dig it a lot now. Just like any open world game, I am (feeling) already over powered though. I guess I'm doing too much side stuff / explorations? The game is really, really, really generous with XP.

Also, even if I am really not a fan of the writing, I like that it goes straight to the point when you start a side quest. It is not dragging and dragging and dragging. Good point, Ubi!
you gonna need lots of money to upgrade ur armor later in the game

just got this sick armor that reminds me of ezio a bit

so pretty
assassinscreedoriginsaru2t.png

Dehell

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the fur armor is definitely badass. Worth every drachme

Dunno why I lost my beard during this cutscene, though :(

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I wish I could apply a 75% XP mod. Right now I'm level 25 and my next story quest is Level 20.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Mid eighties is mixed???

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Came across the side quest in Alexandria where you hijack the cart from the Romans, took me four times to finally finish it and the three fails were 1 -cart getting stuck and horses wouldn't back up, 2 - I hopped into the hay in the back and the only button that would work was the popping up to shoot the bow, no other button would work so got killed, 3- stole it and hit the wall on the side of the road and the horses clipped into the wall and cart fell, failing the quest.

Everything was fine until that quest…holy shit…should have been too easy…

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still wearing this one

egyptian_hedj_outfit.jpg

Peasant Assassin but I love it tbh. I don't like armor and fur I'm my assassin robes.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
Hey there!

Nomad shop mystery boxes and upgrading weapons you like to your current level seem like the larger money sinks.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamespot gave it a 7 for example

While that's still a point or two higher than I'd give it that's about as fair as you can expect from a media outlet. Only the combat is janky for the most part, everything else is just kind of safe and been there done that. The tombs aren't even up to what older ACs brought to the table (which were also nothing to write home about in terms of platforming challenge or "puzzles"), side quests have all been pretty standard fare. The RPG elements are pretty similar to other AAA action games, thrown together just to check some boxes. There's only a couple of stats and loot revolves around weapons only. It's all pretty shallow stuff really, it comes down to how much you like the setting.

Dehell

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing with a scepter for a change, those weapons turn out to be incredibly fun to use. Their speed, their range, the combo multipiler coupled with its "ultra" move, it's making the combats really fun and punchy. 100% my kind of stuff

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
In-game chronology and historical context question for the Aya flashback:

Is this battle on the Aegean sea supposed to be take place between the time that her son was killed and when she meets back up with Bayek in Alexandria?

Also, what is going on with Rome at that time- was General Pompei warring with Caesar or something? I took their conversation to be that Pompei would help Cleopatra get back her throne after he had beaten Caesar and taken control of Rome?

Also, how does Cleopatra's status work? She was the sister to the Pharoah but exiled? If she wasn't exiled she would be Queen but Ptolemy would still be in charge? Were queens part of the line of succession?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Also, how does Cleopatra's status work? She was the sister to the Pharoah but exiled? If she wasn't exiled she would be Queen but Ptolemy would still be in charge? Were queens part of the line of succession?
Haven't got far into the game so can't answer your first question, but regarding Cleopatra: she was to be joint ruler with one of her younger brothers because it was in her father's (the previous pharaoh) will. Female pharaohs were uncommon but they did happen. Normally a male heir would be named as the next pharoah, and if he was too young to rule but had an elder sister she would be named regent and assist with ruling until her brother was old enough to rule by himself. So Cleopatra was already lucky to be named as joint ruler, but that wasn't enough for her. She plotted to murder her younger brothers so she could rule solo. Hence being outcast when the plans didn't work... flawlessly.

Also, Hatshepsut was a female pharaoh and is widely considered one of the best pharaohs Egypt ever had. Highly focused on trade and infrastructure. Nefertiti is another famous female pharoah, ruling jointly with her brother/husband Akhenaten, they were... less popular. They decided they'd move the capital of Egypt way out into the desert, abandon all existing gods and outlaw their worship, and create a new single god instead - the Aten, the sun god. They also decided to cut ties with all their foreign allies, focus entirely on Egypt and what's best for Egyptians, and like all the other times in history that isolationism happened, it ended pretty badly for everyone. That was over 3000 years ago. Some things never change =P

Last edited:

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
In-game chronology and historical context question for the Aya flashback:

Is this battle on the Aegean sea supposed to be take place between the time that her son was killed and when she meets back up with Bayek in Alexandria?

Also, what is going on with Rome at that time- was General Pompei warring with Caesar or something? I took their conversation to be that Pompei would help Cleopatra get back her throne after he had beaten Caesar and taken control of Rome?

History background spoilers
Ceaser and Pompei ended up most powerful generals in Rome and starting to come to blows over ruling Rome and its senate. Egypt had weakened over years since greek influences so they courted for help from Rome. Pompei assumed taking Egypt into Romes Empire would help him be more powerful Ceaser. Celopatra was exiled due to her not sharing power with her brother (also husband) she even put her face on coins which never happened. She was forced out of power by Enuchs and had to start a rebellion to get her throne back.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
While that's still a point or two higher than I'd give it that's about as fair as you can expect from a media outlet. Only the combat is janky for the most part, everything else is just kind of safe and been there done that. The tombs aren't even up to what older ACs brought to the table (which were also nothing to write home about in terms of platforming challenge or "puzzles"), side quests have all been pretty standard fare. The RPG elements are pretty similar to other AAA action games, thrown together just to check some boxes. There's only a couple of stats and loot revolves around weapons only. It's all pretty shallow stuff really, it comes down to how much you like the setting.
No Witcher 3 also. It looks so damn good and expectations are in check so the game can only win when i pick this up on a sale.
Thanks

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't got far into the game so can't answer your first question, but regarding Cleopatra: she was to be joint ruler with one of her younger brothers because it was in her father's (the previous pharaoh) will. Female pharaohs were uncommon but they did happen. Normally a male heir would be named as the next pharoah, and if he was too young to rule but had an elder sister she would be named regent and assist with ruling until her brother was old enough to rule by himself. So Cleopatra was already lucky to be named as joint ruler, but that wasn't enough for her. She plotted to murder her younger brothers so she could rule solo. Hence being outcast when the plans didn't work... flawlessly.

Also, Hatshepsut was a female pharaoh and is widely considered one of the best pharaohs Egypt ever had. Highly focused on trade and infrastructure. Nefertiti is another famous female pharoah, ruling jointly with her brother/husband Akhenaten, they were... less popular. They decided they'd move the capital of Egypt way out into the desert, abandon all existing gods and outlaw their worship, and create a new single god instead - the Aten, the sun god. They also decided to cut ties with all their foreign allies, focus entirely on Egypt and what's best for Egyptians, and like all the other times in history that isolationism happened, it ended pretty badly for everyone. That was over 3000 years ago. Some things never change =P

History background spoilers
Ceaser and Pompei ended up most powerful generals in Rome and starting to come to blows over ruling Rome and its senate. Egypt had weakened over years since greek influences so they courted for help from Rome. Pompei assumed taking Egypt into Romes Empire would help him be more powerful Ceaser. Celopatra was exiled due to her not sharing power with her brother (also husband) she even put her face on coins which never happened. She was forced out of power by Enuchs and had to start a rebellion to get her throne back.

Man, this is great stuff. Thanks! Really wish the game had at least a rudimentary database.

One more question- Was Egypt considered a Greek colony? ie did Greek have actual territorial rights that Rome would have to go to war with them over or was the Pharoah sovereign over all of Egypt and fully in his/her rights to side with whoever they pleased?

Think I will finally get around to listening to Dan Carlin's Fall of the Roman Empire.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Man, this is great stuff. Thanks! Really wish the game had at least a rudimentary database.

One more question- Was Egypt considered a Greek colony? ie did Greek have actual territorial rights that Rome would have to go to war with them over or was the Pharoah sovereign over all of Egypt and fully in his/her rights to side with whoever they pleased?

Think I will finally get around to listening to Dan Carlin's Fall of the Roman Empire.

It was its own Kingdom that was ran by the Ptolemaic Kingdom due to conquests of Alexander The Great. The greek influence was changing Egypt from what most people know to a more greek style. As for its situation with Rome it was neutral but knew it could never beat it at warfare so it rather be allied.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It was its own Kingdom that was ran by the Ptolemaic Kingdom due to conquests of Alexander The Great. The greek influence was changing Egypt from what most people know to a more greek style. As for its situation with Rome it was neutral but knew it could never beat it at warfare so it rather be allied.

Ah, thanks again!

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles

Please explain what you mean by that? What's JANKY about it?

And enjoyment comes down to how much you like the setting, protagonist, combat ...actually, how much do you like the entire package. Its sounds like you're looking at everything the game does individually (which it may not do those things as well as other games) yet you knock the entire package.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain what you mean by that? What's JANKY about it?

And enjoyment comes down to how much you like the setting, protagonist, combat ...actually, how much do you like the entire package. Its sounds like you're looking at everything the game does individually (which it may not do those things as well as other games) yet you knock the entire package.

It looks really bad to watch a combat scene unfold. Enemies only sometimes react to your hits and animations in general really take a drastic step down from the rest of the game. Lock on targeting is iffy at best and can result in your character spinning in a circle (admittedly it's humorous at times) as you try to keep it on the right person in a multi enemy fight. There's even many times during fights that I hit R1 and nothing happens. For a massive publisher it's frankly embarrassing to see just how bad the combat plays and looks. If we were talking about Elex I'd be a lot more lenient there as they're a pretty low budget studio and a small team. Ubi doesn't get that kind of leeway and shouldn't.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
There's even many times during fights that I hit R1 and nothing happens.

I would highly recommend everyone switch to the alternate control scheme. I found the default often felt unresponsive but since switching (which puts light attack on X and heavy attack on Y) combat feels 100% better and I finally started to really enjoy the combat system.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
So does anyone have a recap of the story up until The Snake? I've completely forgot everything apart from the tragic scene. My own fault for exploring too much.