• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Odyssey but not the RPG mechanics. It seemed like everyone had a billion HP and fights dragged.

Everything else sounds cool though.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Knowing Ubisoft, the weapon durability probably will be like Diablo or Witcher 3. It would degrade super slowly and can be easily repaired on shop.

At that level it feels like simple busywork and not adding anything substantial to the game.
I feel like durability only works in games like Metro where it's tied closely to the mechanics and theme.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I love origins and odyssey but this all sounds terrible to me. Eveything I dont like from AC is there without the things i relly like from AC. What im reading reminds me a lot of the awful AC3 with the multiplayer of unity. And adding to that the weapon system of BOTW.

The only thing i like is the choose m or f is still there.

Im out, call me back when they reuturn to actually interesting civilizations with amazing architecture and cities.
I really cant understand why this is coming from the Origins team. Not really what I wanted from them.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I forgot that weapon durability even existed in the Witcher. You could still fight with a broken sword right?

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
At that level it feels like simple busywork and not adding anything substantial to the game.
I feel like durability only works in games like Metro where it's tied closely to the mechanics and theme.

Someone on previous pages mentioned that weapon durability in video game is either inconsenquential or straight up annoying.

I agree there is no point of it existing if its inconsenquential like Witcher 3, but at the very least its not going to be super annoying or dealbreaker.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Same. Insanely impacted my enjoyment of BOTW.
I'm glad I'm not alone in this.
dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Weapon durability? Will it be like the Souls series where I can actually finish a section before having to repair? Or like BOTW where I literally stopped fighting enemies because it was pointless since the rewards were far too low compared to the risk of your weapon breaking.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Multiplayer is the biggest bummer for me. MP games that you can solo always have compromises. They never truly feel like real SP games.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
If they're trying to clone the Ghost Recon multi-player aspect on Assassin's Creed after the massive failure that Breakpoint was... They're going to kill the franchise.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Well the timeline could be accurate and fine and withing Viking era and not like the previous false leak which suggested BC timeline so pre-Viking time and during GOW timeline which is great because they better not tackle that exact timeline tbh.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer is the biggest bummer for me. MP games that you can solo always have compromises. They never truly feel like real SP games.
AC Unity's singleplayer was seriously affected in a bad way just for having multiplayer. From the gameplay point (someone thought the "great" idea that missions shouldnt scale on difficulty no matter if you played alone or with 3 more people) and from a styory standpoint (french revolution has a great and complicated history that was completely butcherd by jumping from year to year and back randomly thanks to... multiplayer! yay!)
FUCK coop multiplayer on AC campaign.
The only multiplayer that should exist in AC is the AC Brotherhood kind.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
- Weapon durability does now come into play, forcing players to use their weapon pool more effectively and forced to manage a smaller inventory that can be upgraded

giphy.gif

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
For me question is "Is it done well?"

BOTW way of doing it is pure utter garbage, but how e.g. TW3 does it was fine and never an issue.

Agreed. I have never played BOTW but I heard you have to throw away your weapon? That is bullshit. But knowing how Ubisoft does things, I think it will be like TW3. But even in TW3 it became busywork after a while because you just needed money to repair and you would have 20K at some point. I'd love if in this game you need a specific unique crafting material so you would need to carefully choose which weapons you want to repair etc.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
For me question is "Is it done well?"

BOTW way of doing it is pure utter garbage, but how e.g. TW3 does it was fine and never an issue.
But do you say that because weapon degradation in TW3 improved the gameplay in your opinion? Or because weapons degraded so slowly you never had to worry about it anyway? Because I get the feeling that for most people, it's the latter.

I struggle to think of any game that was better for weapon degradation. At best it's to create a money sink like TW3 that doesn't really affect combat, only your purse size.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
But do you say that because weapon degradation in TW3 improved the gameplay in your opinion? Or because weapons degraded so slowly you never had to worry about it anyway? Because I get the feeling that for most people, it's the latter.

I struggle to think of any game that was better for weapon degradation. At best it's to create a money sink like TW3 that doesn't really affect combat, only your purse size.

Latter for sure. Sure it doesn't add anything to gameplay loop because it's easily ignored mechanic, but in my view it doesn't add anything of an value to BOTW either.

If developer insists on including gear degradation mechanics either do something innovative with it to make it decent part of gameplay loop or so minor thing that it doesn't really affect anything.

With encumbrance I'm more lenient as I don't mind inventory management and having to make item choices often fit games that have such limits. In TW3 that limit is meaningless too tho.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Fuck weapon degradation. It's just there to constantly nag you on the HUD or break your gameplay flow at the worst possible moment.

Or encourage more looting I guess.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ironically weapon degradation is better suited for games on the non-rpg side of the spectrum. like Dying Light for example makes perfect sense both in world and per agency a board with a nail on it won't get you through 50 enemy encounters

you're on a globe trotting journey collecting bajillions of loot along the way it's just an annoying meta. why i'm not buying this rumor with ACs new loot focus, it'd be like weapon degradation in Borderlands or something

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite pats of the Ezio trilogy was upgrading the Villa to make more money, and real estate/franchising in AC:B. Glad to hear it's back in some form, very fun to get rich in AC games.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Combat needs to improve massively over Origins and Odyssey if they want to sustain another 80 hour campaign. Origins was bearable, but Odyssey became excruciating after the 30 hour mark. Never finished it.

saket08

Jun 13, 2019
Well this leak has some good and bad points So, IMO it's correct and Jason has also said that its similar to what he has heard. I am hyped!!

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Because a lot of leaks from 4chan proved to be legit.

And Jason said that some things in the leaks are true.

So?, The amount of vile, violent and racist shit that spawns on 4chan is insane & when some lunatic pledges their act of violence before shooting up a bunch of people 4chan eggs them on and encourages them, after; the internet then publicly shames 4chan for it's disgusting userbase & yet when someone leaks something there everybody is all over it like flies on shit. People keep pledging to shun 4chan and yet give it attention with leaks like this.

Oct 26, 2017
So?, The amount of vile, violent and racist shit that spawns on 4chan is insane & when some lunatic pledges their act of violence before shooting up a bunch of people 4chan eggs them on and encourages them, after; the internet then publicly shames 4chan for it's disgusting userbase & yet when someone leaks something there everybody is all over it like flies on shit. People keep pledging to shun 4chan and yet give it attention with leaks like this.

If you have a problem with 4chan leaks you can contact the mods because I can't help you.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

World of Warcraft Classic/Vanilla. I think using it as a money sink is a perfectly valid reason to have it. The leveling in WoW early levels was so expertly crafted in how important bag size was, gear costs, the cost of ability upgrades, the potential costs of leveling professions vs the money you could make on them, masterstroke.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
This. I don't care about weapon durability, as in Origins and Odyssey would acquire weapon after weapon for even looking at an enemy. But if they have drop-in-drop-out Multiplayer they have to design the game around it. The last two games, even though they were single player, had visible grindy tendencies. With a focus on MP you can bet this will be the grindiest (with the "most replayable missions") AC yet, with the least amount of big story setpieces.

Still hyped though, setting sounds great. Gotta wait and see.

Oct 29, 2017

4chan isnt a banned site. Calm down and just ignore it.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why they refuse to keep a protagonist for more than a single game. I LOVED my Kassandra - I'd love to bring her into the next game.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Weapon durability? Will it be like the Souls series where I can actually finish a section before having to repair? Or like BOTW where I literally stopped fighting enemies because it was pointless since the rewards were far too low compared to the risk of your weapon breaking.

Both.
"Pay an offering of 650 Silver (a.k.a 10 bucks) to the mighty Odin, the god of war, to bless your weapon durability until you reach Valhalla"

Just kidding! (I hope)