• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
That trailer featured lots of gameplay.

And then they had two Treehouse showings, so there wasn't as much of a need anyhow.
I know I saw the treehouse but overall both main trailers, featured in directs were heavily story focused.
More or less no quest/exploration in city and battle sequences could have been even better with a good combo and original actions or 2. First once was a bit more balanced than E3 trailer to me.

I was only talking about trailers from directs which are probably easily the most watched.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
"Warning: If your erection lasts longer than 12 hours, you've probably been playing Astral Chain."

I seriously cannot wait for this game, it looks amazing.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
I know I saw the treehouse but overall both main trailers, featured in directs were heavily story focused.
More or less no quest/exploration in city and battle sequences could have been even better with a good combo and original actions or 2. First once was a bit more balanced than E3 trailer to me.

I was only talking about trailers from directs which are probably easily the most watched.
Well treehouse demo got the most view count from E3 video ha ha.

This appears to be the same as part of the Treehouse Live footage, except for the French bit at the beginning.
they played a same mission and use a same character but this is difference footage from treehouse.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
This game looks really good, I agree that I would prefer it to be short (not as short as Bayo, Revengenace or Vanquish), because Automata for example ends beign really repetitive. This games seems to be a better and more fun combat than Automata, but even so I hope that they don't bloat the game with lots of bad sidequests and repeated content this time.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
The combat looks great, but the rest looks really meh. I think the investigation stuff will drag down the game.

OP
OP
Chaos17

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
The combat looks great, but the rest looks really meh. I think the investigation stuff will drag down the game.
If the hero was a nobody, I would've agreed with you but this time is different since our role will be a police officier who actually serve and save people and have to respect traffic control, lol
For me it will help a lot the immersion with the world and "bonding" with the legions outside of battles.

For example : use arm legion to open heavy metal door
LikelyGiantAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

Use doggo to track items
ScientificBlissfulDegus-size_restricted.gif

You don't need to beat people to arrest or catch them

ParallelSplendidAmmonite-size_restricted.gif

Or just plain spy on people convo lol
MarriedFelineJuliabutterfly-size_restricted.gif

So yeah for me the none combat stuff is important to feel more immerse in the world of the game and feels so refreshing to have a setting it's actually really your job to save people lol

This game looks really good, I agree that I would prefer it to be short (not as short as Bayo, Revengenace or Vanquish), because Automata for example ends beign really repetitive. This games seems to be a better and more fun combat than Automata, but even so I hope that they don't bloat the game with lots of bad sidequests and repeated content this time.
I hope you understand that the repetitive side of Nier is not on Platinium responsibility but of the director Yoko Taro?
This game is a new original IP just like Wonderfull 101 from Platinium. It wasn't commissioned like with Nier.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Overall aesthetic of this looks sublime. From animations to high tech particles, it looks like a PS4 level of tech stuff, which is amazing for a hybrid portable console.

I'm day one on this. I'll excuse Platinum for not delivering Bayonetta this year for this.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I hope you understand that the repetitive side of Nier is not on Platinium responsibility but of the director Yoko Taro?
Not entirely, as the combat in Nier lacks the options and finesse from other Platinum games, it highly contributes to feel more repetitive. Also Astral Chain has been directed by the same guy that worked in Automata, and seems to have side content etc... I agree that Taro was the big contributor of some problems with the game (lots of half-assed mechanics, the strange structure that makes completing the game multiple times mandatory...) but there's always the option that Taura decides to bloat the game in order to make it more "RPG".

I'm confident that the game will be better than Automata though, the enemy design looks far better and all original Platinum games are better than the licensed/collaboration games IMO.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
If the hero was a nobody, I would've agreed with you but this time is different since our role will be a police officier who actually serve and save people and have to respect traffic control, lol
For me it will help a lot the immersion with the world and "bonding" with the legions outside of battles.
The point is, this mechanics need to have a good story to be interesting, and I doubt the game will have a good writing.

I'll probably buy the game, anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
This interview I think puts some light on the "will this have better combat than Automata?" discussion:

www.polygon.com

Cyberpunk Switch exclusive Astral Chain started as a fantasy game

We speak with director Takahisa Taura about the promising Nintendo Switch exclusive

Taura said:

Yoko Taro thinks of games from the scenario first. Once you have the scenario in place, then you build out the game and everything else. But the central pillar of this game really was this idea of controlling two characters at the same time, and thinking of things like the scenario and the world after that.

When you start with the story, and then make the gameplay as a way to deliver that story, the bar for "good enough gameplay" naturally becomes much lower. With Astral Chain, however, the gameplay was so much the basis that even the Cyberpunk setting came later after discussions with Nintendo. It was initially a fantasy game. But they were willing to switch even that, because all that mattered to them was the stand gameplay. In this case, it's the story that serves as a bit of extra motivation to get you to experience the gameplay.

How each stand plays, and how they take advantage of that with enemies and bosses is the driving force of the game, it's the reason they wanted to make this title. I don't think people have anything to worry about because of Automata's gameplay limitations.

On the other hand, people expecting a lot from the story may end up disappointed. I expect it to be fun to go through, but not the best part of the game or anything like that. And given how people reacted in that trilogy thread, it seems like a lot of people care way too much about the story in this game.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Astral Chain got updated on the Japan eshop and lists 9.6GB for the file size. Not bad at all.

BlkSquirtle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I literally got a nintendo voucher for this and MUA3 and it seems like I have perfect taste as I expected. This game looks fantastic and I'm always hype for a new PG.