• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redline23

Aug 18, 2019
I have a bad feeling about this one. I was pretty hyped but it just occured to me now and I can't even explain why. Hoping I'm wrong.
There are bunch of gameplay footage out there, do you like what you see? I personally loving everything and I saw so far, to point that this game can get 5 or lower score from western reviewers and I would still buy it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have a bad feeling about this one. I was pretty hyped but it just occured to me now and I can't even explain why. Hoping I'm wrong.

I'm mostly confident about it ever since seeing that Treehouse gameplay, but at the same time there's just no good reason for me to use my voucher before Monday, because well, ya never know

Apr 21, 2018

My bad feeling is because I already pre-loaded it with a voucher, something I pretty much never do without seeing reviews. So, knowing my luck, of course I would pre-order/load a dud.

....but it does look just so amazing.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
There are bunch of gameplay footage out there, do you like what you see? I personally loving everything and I saw so far, to point that this game can get 5 or lower score from western reviewers and I would still buy it.

That's my problem, I love what I'm seeing and what I saw in the Treehouse but.... I just have a bad feeling, it's dumb I know.
What if the game is not meaty enough, too short, with not a lot of replayability, too "monotonous" with a limited bestiary/bosses that would be re-used a lot....
Again, I really hoping I'm wrong.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's my problem, I love what I'm seeing and what I saw in the Treehouse but.... I just have a bad feeling, it's dumb I know.
What if the game is not meaty enough, too short, with not a lot of replayability, too "monotonous" with a limited bestiary/bosses that would be re-used a lot....

It's at least 12 hours long. There's a YT video up (I think it's somewhere in this thread) and the player has 11 hours, 49 minutes on his save file. And he didn't appear to be anywhere near the end of the game, so it's probably closer to 20 hours in length.

Edit -Here's the video

Last edited:

Redline23

Aug 18, 2019
If you are afraid the game is not gonna be perfect, then ask you what game is? My suggestion is read/watch actual review instead just looking at score alone. Maybe the issue some reviewers might with the game might not be issue for you, most my favourite games like original NieR or God Hand got terrible reviews but I still end loving them and games that got 10/10 in most reviews felt underwhelming. At this point I played enough games in my life that I know what like in my games and it looks like Astral Chain is definitely type of game I'm going to love.

Apr 21, 2018

If it makes you feel better, I had that same feeling with Breath of the Wild, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4. My top 3 favourite games ever, from announcement to hype cycle to release.

Astral Chain is not the case like The Wonderful 101 or Kid Icarus Uprising or Starfox Zero where the writing was on the wall. Astral Chain, so far, doesn't seem to have any major control/gameplay issues. It's all been pretty positive.

I think the worst case scenario, review wise, is it lands around the 80MC mark, being just a good romp and nothing more. I sort of don't get the impression it's going to be a 95MC or anything, people say the game is good fun, but I havn't heard too many impressions saying the game is incredible, amazing, or breathtaking.

I would predict an 85 on MC. I know discussing/guessing MC scores is lame, but I find it fun.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the game sets itself apart from Bayonetta style combat, more specifically i don't want that dodge feels like it does in Bayo 2. There are some similarities to it as far as i can see it from videos, but i have to play it for my self to judge it properly.

The game looks and sounds fantastic so far and i really love the exploration and semi openworld aspect from what we have seen in the previews.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
The Police is a band name,「」 is how stand names are often presented in JoJo, and specifically going with the band The Police also pokes some light hearted fun at some of the controversy around this game's discussion.

It just works.
「」is just standard Japanese quotations mark, hence why you typically see them around the song title names in anime openings. And no, you don't put them around band names, but track titles.

Astral Chain |OT| Star Platinum

would be a more apropo reference to Jojo, while referencing the developers.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017

What's weird is that I'm really hyped for this, but I kind of agree. I feel like some shoe is going to drop. I think it's because the game feels so out of nowhere.

Oct 25, 2017
「」is just standard Japanese quotations mark, hence why you typically see them around the song title names in anime openings. And no, you don't put them around band names, but track titles.

Astral Chain |OT| Star Platinum

would be a more apropo reference to Jojo, while referencing the developers.
You do when the band name is also a stand name in a stats card:

VAvtww3.jpg

The fact that you wouldn't use it for bands otherwise only solidifies the reference, if anything.

I know what quotation marks are, I was just explaining assuming they didn't, because what matters for the thread title is that it's instantly recognizable for people who follow the series.

I'm ok with Star Platinum for the title, though, even suggested it myself, but I think "The Police" is better due to the whole discussion around playing as cops. It works as a meta joke even if you don't give care about JoJo, unlike all the other suggestions.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
Astral Chain |OT| 99 Wonderful left
Astral Chain |OT| 60fps on Switch 2
Astral Chain |OT| How I met my Legions

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I've already decided on a title fellas, but these are pretty good ngl

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Astral Chain |OT| Ark: Survival Involved

Astral Chain |OT| Alpha Team Gunner Force

Astral Chain |OT| The Adventures of Chimera Neuron

Astral Chain |OT|「What's this got to do with JoJo anyway」

Astral Chain |OT| Bailbound

Last edited:

Redline23

Aug 18, 2019
Considering how easy the game seems to be, doesn't seem likely.
KH series is not exactly hard but still had secret boss fights. Also like I said my pervious posts, from I have seen so far it's not that game is "too easy" is that the Ranking is too forgiving compare to Bayonetta. Even Taru himself was playing previews it had use health packs in some of the boss battles.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
My terrible OT title just to get it out of my head

Astral Chain |OT| YORA YORA YORA Under Arrest

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
'I have bad feeling about it' is the part of every hype cycle. Especially when review come close to release.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If it makes you feel better, I had that same feeling with Breath of the Wild, Metroid Prime, and Resident Evil 4. My top 3 favourite games ever, from announcement to hype cycle to release.

Astral Chain is not the case like The Wonderful 101 or Kid Icarus Uprising or Starfox Zero where the writing was on the wall. Astral Chain, so far, doesn't seem to have any major control/gameplay issues. It's all been pretty positive.

I think the worst case scenario, review wise, is it lands around the 80MC mark, being just a good romp and nothing more. I sort of don't get the impression it's going to be a 95MC or anything, people say the game is good fun, but I havn't heard too many impressions saying the game is incredible, amazing, or breathtaking.

I would predict an 85 on MC. I know discussing/guessing MC scores is lame, but I find it fun.
Why you gotta do the goat 3DS game like that?

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember the last time I was so curious to see how a game would review and how the community would receive it.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It's at least 12 hours long. There's a YT video up (I think it's somewhere in this thread) and the player has 11 hours, 49 minutes on his save file. And he didn't appear to be anywhere near the end of the game, so it's probably closer to 20 hours in length.

Edit -Here's the video

Oh my God, you get the Arm Legion 12 hours in? There's like two more of them to obtain after that point. Gamescom demo had like three save states from after you have all the legions and none of them, except maybe the one with the Astral plain bleeding over in the real world, looked like they could be set anywhere close to the endgame.

Yeah, this game is most certainly NOT too short.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh, reviews on Monday already? That's nice, I prefer to get that debate over with before the actual game launches, since I am very confident I will enjoy this game already.

Everything except the monotonicity have been discussed in previews with positive implications (areas that can be unlocked on a second go when returning to the area later on your own volition, being 12 hours in and not nearing the conclusion, comments like that). It should be fine I think.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
I'm feeling quite torn over this. Part of me wants it, yet I'm not 100% convinced.

Decisions...

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, you get the Arm Legion 12 hours in? There's like two more of them to obtain after that point. Gamescom demo had like three save states from after you have all the legions and none of them, except maybe the one with the Astral plain bleeding over in the real world, looked like they could be set anywhere close to the endgame.

Oh damn, so it IS Nier: A length rather than Bayonetta.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Just Chapter 6