Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone that gets motion sickness from PSVR tried this? Some games I can do but others just make me want to puke my guts out.
Some games make me sweaty, ill and want to rip the headset off. Even the PSVR launch demo of this game made me queasy. They worked magic with this game and I had no motion sickness while playing it. You can tell when playing this that they made every effort to make the player feel comfortable in the world.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's genuinely one of the best games of the year. I know we've had a lot of threads about it, but I still don't think people who haven't played it realise just how good it is.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I've only beaten the first two worlds and it's AMAZING. But it's the VR that makes it so freakin good and different, etc. (for those asking for a non-vr version).

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Some games make me sweaty, ill and want to rip the headset off. Even the PSVR launch demo of this game made me queasy. They worked magic with this game and I had no motion sickness while playing it. You can tell when playing this that they made every effort to make the player feel comfortable in the world.
Cool, I'll probably pick it up around Christmas whenever I'm finishing up RDR2. Thanks for the response!

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I see the point but would rather people just credit Japan Studio directly for yet another great game this generation than these constant comparisons. They're a great studio in their own right with a different but similar strand of creativity to Nintendo.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ok. I've changed the title so this doesn't become a thread where that's the only reason people post.

Please discuss the game and contents of the OP without resorting to console war nonsense.

Thank you.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah it's fantastic. Best gaming experience this year. This and Moss (and Ultrawings) for me is worth picking up the PSVR for. Unfortunately I don't like horror games or RE7 would be another device seller.

Dee Bill

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I'm not yet done with the game but i can say with all honesty that this one of the best gaming experiences i've had since Mario 64. The game is incredible, nuff said.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been itching to get playing this, but unfortunately I no longer have access to a PSVR and I'm still reluctant to buy one of my own right now.

Just calling it out for what I see it as. When you make an OP with a title such as this, and the post contents are basically "I really like the game!"...it gets a bit much, don't you think?

After this and the trolling in the PS Classic thread this guy really deserves a far longer ban imo.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you ZhugeEX for thread-cleaning and reopening. The platforming in VR for this game specifically is really really well done. Team Asobi did an amazing job with the level design and pretty much everything really. You guys have to try it out for yourselves in VR to understand the magic and joy of simply traversing in this game.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I can't afford a PSVR, but I hope they later make a non VR port, but that probably won't happen, as it would likely kill the reason it was made?

Oct 2, 2018
need a sequel. I marathoned astrobot. Incredible game that just works and it's got loads of inventiveness too with its mechanics from the rope/water/light aspects. Top tier VR game and it looks amazing too

oasis007

Oct 27, 2017
I have to take the game slow, a couple levels per night due to some mild nauseousness; but the game is amazing amd I'm glad I'm not blowing through it.

Anyone know where the soundtrack can be purchased?

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
I have looked at footage and it doesn't convince me, this is reminding me of those people that claimed that Pupeeter was a Nintendo style platformer.

I guess that it could be comparable to modern Yoshi which is pretty? Although that I don't hold that one to high regard.
Puppeteer is a fantastic game imo, but not at all a Nintendo style platformer, it was heavy on Story and narrative which is far from Nintendo's style and right at home with Sony's.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
If an N64 was worth it to peeps back in the day, PSVR is in that same category now.

Astro Bot is one of the finest games all of Sony has ever created.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care if there have been quite a few threads like this already, the game deserves all the attention it can get. It's easily the best platformer of the generation, and very likely my personal GOTY.

If you already own a PSVR, buy it.

If you don't own a PSVR but are on the fence, buy a PSVR with this game.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
If you already have a PSVR, I recommend trying out the Robot Rescue game included with Playroom VR which is what Astro Bot is based on. It acts as a sort of demo for the larger game if you want an idea of what the game is like.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
The VR is what makes it so immersive and memorable though. Take that out and it becomes a pretty standard platformer. A polished one, yes, but without the VR integration, I think it would lose a lot of its magic in terms of scope and how connected it makes you feel with the game world.

I think of Lucky's Tale, and that didn't feel like it gained much from being in VR. This though, really feels like it was designed around the technology, which in a way is a very Nintendo way of doing things.

Agreed, its very much enhanced by being VR, and designed specifically for VR. Wouldn't be the same if it wasn't VR and would not get the same praise in my opinion :)

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
My missus reactions to it while playing justify the headset alone, Iv'e had many wow moments in VR, Truly made gaming fun for me again. But seeing someone else also have those reactions just make it all worth it.

Imagine buying a PSVR for Astro and then knowing you can play RE7 in VR aswell. Like people need to experience these kind of things..... It's a game changing experience that makes TV gaming feel a step back.

OP
OP
Tirisfal

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
My missus reactions to it while playing justify the headset alone, Iv'e had many wow moments in VR, Truly made gaming fun for me again. But seeing someone else also have those reactions just make it all worth it.

Imagine buying a PSVR for Astro and then knowing you can play RE7 in VR aswell. Like people need to experience these kind of things..... It's a game changing experience that makes TV gaming feel a step back.

Very true. My wife doesn't even play platformers (I tried a few times to get her into Mario odyssey) but with this game she was all over it.

I usually like to hog a game and complete it fully myself first but even with this amazing experience of a game, I actually loved just watching her play and laugh and smile at its charm. When she would try to hand me back the controller with a hint of reluctance in her voice, I'd just tell her to keep playing and she'd be all excited again.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of people port begging in this thread.

People should just invest in the product and experience what the devs wanted to make. Not force devs to make shitty versions. PSVR purchase is justifiable this year and software is getting better. Price sensitive people should learn to put apart $10 a week and save up for the device if $250 is to much.

Mar 17, 2018
Wait, 3D films work on the PSVR!? This might be what pushes me to get one.
Oh yeah man. They look awesome. I just actually got some etymotic er3XR headphones because the included headphones suck, and I don't want to amp the signal with my HD600s because too many wires. The PSVR basically has very little amp power so you need sensitive headphones to get good volume.

I started collecting all the 3D films I could get my hands on from Disney and Pixar and studios like Laika--Kubo, Boxtrolls, etc.--because I am a slipcover nut and they are basically going out of print with no current 4K solution to any 3D at all. They might never be printed again. Newer TVs don't even seem to have 3D capability. And lo and behold I found out the PSVR does 3D and it does it really well.

So I would say yes on a 4K OLED the movies would be even more amazing, but I was actually quite blown away by the quality on PSVR. It's very very good and looks much better than a DVD but not quite a bluray 2D quality. I've had some of my most favorite movie experiences in the last year in PSVR with Moana and Kubo.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm more excited to play Astro Bot than Red Dead Redemption 2 to be honest. Unfortunately for me, one is coming in the post today and the other I don't even have until Black Friday comes around and I can (hopefully) get a good deal on PSVR.

what was the thread title originally?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more excited to play Astro Bot than Red Dead Redemption 2 to be honest. Unfortunately for me, one is coming in the post today and the other I don't even have until Black Friday comes around and I can (hopefully) get a good deal on PSVR.

what was the thread title originally?

It was IIRC "Astro Bot is the best Nintendo Platformer Sony has made".

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I feel. I REALLY want to play this game but I don't have VR :(

You'd lose so much with a non-VR version. The way it uses scale and plays with perspective; it wouldn't be the same game at all.

As it is, this - not GoW - is the best game Sony released this year and my favorite PS exclusive this gen not called Bloodborne.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
It kinda bothers me when people say they don't want to buy PSVR for one game when most haven't even tried it. PSVR lineup is not weak by any stretch of the imagination and a few "system sellers" in my book.