Deband

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone else getting a sore neck playing it though? Feel like I need to a swivel chair.

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda bothers me when people say they don't want to buy PSVR for one game when most haven't even tried it. PSVR lineup is not weak by any stretch of the imagination and a few "system sellers" in my book.

It does have a pretty good library as it is yeah, and it's bound to get better with a new Miyazaki game and Tetris Effect out soon.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
You'd lose so much with a non-VR version. The way it uses scale and plays with perspective; it wouldn't be the same game at all.

As it is, this - not GoW - is the best game Sony released this year and my favorite PS exclusive this gen not called Bloodborne.
Well of course I'd prefer to play it as intended but I don't think I'll be getting VR anytime soon. This game sounds like it's system seller status though.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i can imagine ape escape in the same vein and style...and you swing your Move/DS4 to catch the apes while controlling spike

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
finally, an astrobot thread with a non-hyperbolic title
i'm interested in trying this for myself, in a few months i have to ask around and see if i can find a psvr and a copy of this game i can borrow

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should really really play this think i need a game like this after a recent heartbreak.....

Already own it just had no time for it xd

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh it sounds like a cool platformer period. It sounds almost Nintendo level

It really is. It's difficult to tell from watching footage, but playing it it just has that kind of feel. Little touches that just feel 'right', the music is amazing and very Nintendo-like, the level layouts, enemies, and bosses too. Has a couple of levels like those bonus levels from mario galaxy too.

My only tiny negative is those moments when you're trying to guide astrobot among a narrow walkway right above your head. I've never fallen off but I'm always worried what the controller will do - because you're walking as the viewpoint is twisting

Knuf

Oct 28, 2017
"Astrobot is a great VR platformer" as thread title is a bit reductive: imho "Astrobot is a great platformer designed around VR" would be way more accurate.

Spoiler:
I bought a PSVR just to play this game, and I have to say it was worth every single penny: this game is a completely unique experience which also manages to do something extremely difficult once you become an adult: putting a glaring smile on your face for the beginning to the very end.

Oct 26, 2017
For users in the UK you can get the Playstation VR bundle that comes with the camera and the VR worlds game + Astro Bot for ÂŁ199 from Argos.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I love astro bot, great game with big heart, and I'm not someone who generally goes for cute level graphics :)

It reminds me a lot of Crock in terms of design, and that is a game I love fondly (about time crock was remade).... just a lot of fun.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else getting a sore neck playing it though? Feel like I need to a swivel chair.
That's what I switched to and it made the experience a lot better. IMO the game doesn't work as well on a stationary chair at all. Which is a shame because I prefer my comfy seat over standing or sitting in a chair that can turn 360 degrees.

I'm confused why the hate from some people? It's a genuinely charming and enjoyable game.

A lot of it reads like jealousy because they don't have a VR headset or disbelief because they refuse to believe anything VR could be good.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This game is the real Mario 3D World. It takes the concept of 3D Land to the natural next level. Not only that, it finishes what Nintendo started with the Wii, but then stuck with at the basic gimmick level (or straight nonsense like Starfox WiiU). Astrobot is the real culmination of motion controls and stereoscopic 3D, it's like someone built 3D Land 360 degrees around your body with almost nothing hindering the illusion.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought a PSVR for this game, and it (along with some of the other cool games) was totally worth it.

For those hoping this gets a non-VR version, be careful what you wish for. Playing this game without a VR headset is like playing a game designed for a controller on a touch-screen phone. Actually, the diminished quality would be more pronounced than playing a controller game on a touch-screen. At least you can hodge-podge many games onto a phone; it just wouldn't work with Astro Bot.

The thing is, it's really hard to describe why VR is so essential to the experience. You just "get it" once you're playing. It's the depth to the environments, all the nooks and crannies you need to look down to find stuff, how the controller is tracked to a facsimilie of it in the game, looking at yourself on a videoscreen at various points in some levels. And then there's the interactivity too, such as headbutting obstacles, dodging enemies' projectiles trying to obscure your vision and so on.

To me, it's motion controls living its best life, and all of that is down to the VR headset.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long is the game?
sounds like a pretty short game

screenshot2018-10-26ap3dur.png

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've got both a standard and PSVR backlog waiting for me, but Astro Bot is still clawing for my attention, and I can't wait to play it. Moss a few months ago definitely reminded me how well a platformer can be done alongside VR.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I've got both a standard and PSVR backlog waiting for me, but Astro Bot is still clawing for my attention, and I can't wait to play it. Moss a few months ago definitely reminded me how well a platformer can be done alongside VR.
I bought the Moss and Astrobot VR bundle. I played through Moss first and now I'm making my way through Astrobot. Astrobot is on a completely different level in terms of design, complexity, and how well it's built around VR. If you liked Moss (which I did as well), you're going to love Astrobot.

Has anyone that gets motion sickness from PSVR tried this? Some games I can do but others just make me want to puke my guts out.
I felt some motion sickness after long play sessions from RE7 in VR. It could be because it was my first VR games and I wasn't used to it or maybe it's the first person. I've had no problems with Astrobot (or Moss).

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Moss and Astrobot VR bundle. I played through Moss first and now I'm making my way through Astrobot. Astrobot is on a completely different level in terms of design, complexity, and how well it's built around VR. If you liked Moss (which I did as well), you're going to love Astrobot.

Aww yiss

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought this for 10 bucks yesterday. I've still to hook up PSVR and try it. Will do this weekend prolly. Currently busy with SCVI online.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Such a shame it's VR only. I'd play a watered down Non-VR version.

I really enjoyed the game, but don't think it would be anything special without the VR. The wow factor for the VR, some new angles in platforming and finding things from having to look around and so on are what really made it a great experience.

A flat version would just be a bang average 3D platformer IMO. The touch pad and motion aiming stuff would probably feel bad/gimmicky due to not seeing the controller in VR and it would probably get knocked for being short (only 20 stages and 6 bosses in the campaign).

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
for those in the US that want to get astrobot for cheap, I was able to order it from target's b2g1 free ~$27+ tax putting in 2 other random $40 games in my cart.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Astrobot is a great VR platformer" as thread title is a bit reductive: imho "Astrobot is a great platformer designed around VR" would be way more accurate.

Spoiler:
I bought a PSVR just to play this game, and I have to say it was worth every single penny: this game is a completely unique experience which also manages to do something extremely difficult once you become an adult: putting a glaring smile on your face for the beginning to the very end.

I feel sad because after playing this game, I feel not excited for all other normal 3D games... even including RDR2...

I just can't be excited again any more...

God this game is too magic

Nov 14, 2017
Bought this game and Moss after all the praise, even though I'm not a big fan of platformers (2d or 3d) but got a good deal for both.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Just wanted to give the thread a bump to say Astro Bot is the real deal. I finished the story earlier tonight and was thoroughly impressed by it.

An excellent game that deserves all the praise. It's GOTY quality no doubt.

It's a pity the adoption rate of PSVR isn't higher.

Imagine a Super Mario Odyssey length game with all the lavish productions values that go with it. Sadly Nintendo are the only ones who can justify that kind of expenditure on a 3D platformer,

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So yeah, Astro Bot is brilliant. I have a minor issue, though:

Is it common for the DS4 to get knocked out of alignment? It tends to happen on stages with a grappling hook or water cannon or whatever. Over time, the thing starts aiming slightly to the side of where I'm actually pointing it. It only fixes tself when the game wants to calibrate the controller (at the start of a level).

Also, is there a way to manually calibrate the DS4's position or is it only done at the start of a level?

I'm using a new revision of the DS4, and the USB cord is not connected.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Nearly a month late, but this game was clearly designed to be played standing. The missus and I have played the whole game standing up (got all bots and chameleons, only challenges to go), and it's an entirely world of difference from seated. The freedom to look around, peek under and above surfaces, look back, dodge enemies that go for the camera, etc. is amazing and the game often seems to design sections and secrets around it.

It's kind of odd that games don't recommend whether to play standing or sitting, but so far it seems you can pretty much assume the game was designed with the former in mind unless your character is sitting and / or you're explicitly told to sit like in RIGS or Until Dawn Rush of Blood. Most of the PSVR games I've played either require or are immensely improved by standing up.

Also, is there a way to manually calibrate the DS4's position or is it only done at the start of a level?

Shake it wildly around. I'm not kidding. My assumption when I tried this (and my guess as to why it works) is that the gyros and accelerometers can't keep up with the wild movements so it forces it to reposition itself using strictly the camera rather than any lingering positional / rotational information, which should be more accurate.

Note that this also works for the Move controllers, which can go completely crazy as well (I've sometimes got them to show literally downwards).

Last edited:

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Is it common for the DS4 to get knocked out of alignment? It tends to happen on stages with a grappling hook or water cannon or whatever. Over time, the thing starts aiming slightly to the side of where I'm actually pointing it. It only fixes tself when the game wants to calibrate the controller (at the start of a level).

Shake the ds4 when this happens, works for most.

Oct 25, 2017
The title of this game sucks...it seems like it's just another VR-Indie game.
It's not. It's probably the best game of the year.

Deleted member 43446

Banned
May 15, 2018

Hold the Options button for a few seconds.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Got this for $20 today on GMG, and loving it so far. The reason you see people keep invoking Nintendo is obvious to those who have played it. The level of polish and charm is 'Nintendo-esque' which is really the best way to describe it.
This was my favorite demo on the demo disc from about 2 years ago when I first got VR, and I'm so glad they fleshed out that idea some more.
I'm a couple of levels into world 2, and had a smile on my face almost the entire time. The part on the
beach level, the part when you go underwater
made me exclaim out loud even, lol.

As far as I'm concerned this is the PSVR 'killer app'. My favorite thing so far on the platform.