Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
For all the people who are reluctant to buy PSVR just for one game, here's a solution - buy more than one game. It's not like PSVR is completely devoid of quality titles to try out.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why don't you play all the other must play games on the system then?

I don't see that many 'must play' games for the device. I just hear RE7 and its VR mode and maybe, Moss cited as examples of good VR experience but that isn't enough imo to justify spending money on the device. Money isn't really an issue; its just that the device isn't compelling enough to purchase in its own right imo, without actually having tried the device myself. I imagine quite a few people are in the same boat.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Ooooof, this seems right up my alley. Might buy a PSVR headset for this.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game is the reason I ordered a PSVR again. Great to see these good reviews, can't wait :)

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
89 aggregate on MC even though its excelent is not a score that reflects the same order of influence or magnitude that Super Mario 64 had back in its time. In 20 years no one will remember about Astro Bot the same cannot be said about SM64.

I can understand that its a good VR game but it´s all that is a good VR game not an era defining game.

SM64 is my favorite game of all time and no other game will replicate the feeling i had when trying SM64 for the first time hence the comment above :)

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
One point short of being a must play on MC, man that would have been amazing for a VR game.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
The list of quotes containing the word "Mario" is pretty arbitrary and hilarious. Not sure how the question "Is this the Mario 64 of gaming?" is answered by "This mechanic reminded me of the original Super Mario Bros. because you couldn't move back in that either."

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For multiplayer games like Firewall to survive and single player game like Astro Bot to justify it's budget, Sony is going to need to get the PC VR population in on their games. It's gonna happen eventually.

But they sell well on PS4 so it's not a big deal. VR games on the other end need the extra player population and sales.
Console exclusives aren't always about selling the most copies but instead giving their platform unique experiences that add to its worth.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
89 aggregate on MC even though its excelent is not a score that reflects the same order of influence or magnitude that Super Mario 64 had back in its time. In 20 years no one will remember about Astro Bot the same cannot be said about SM64.

I can understand that its a good VR game but it´s all that is a good VR game not an era defining game.

SM64 is my favorite game of all time and no other game will replicate the feeling i had when trying SM64 for the first time hence the comment above :)
I hope 20 years from now Times Square is replaced with a giant memorial to Astro Bot.

Super excited to play this tomorrow. Robot Rescue on Playroom seriously wowed me, so jolly, and the dream of a full game has come true. Hyped.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
n2n0Fx5.jpg

Sure looks like it's a physical release in America
Wasn't expecting this.

I'll get it a day or two late, but I was able to get physical from Amazon too.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully psvr goes on sale soon. This, RE7, Moss, & super hot looking really good. And that From Software game too. (Forgot what's it called)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

How about you read the reviews instead of looking at the score?

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't see that many 'must play' games for the device. I just hear RE7 and its VR mode and maybe, Moss cited as examples of good VR experience but that isn't enough imo to justify spending money on the device. Money isn't really an issue; its just that the device isn't compelling enough to purchase in its own right imo, without actually having tried the device myself. I imagine quite a few people are in the same boat.

I mean, there's way more than just those two games. Look into it a bit further.

I'd write you a list if I wasn't at work. But play Superhot at the very least!

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how this thread will end up with more posts than the AC Odyssey review thread. The affect one hyperbolic tweet can have for an completely unknown game on a niche platform.
Yeah, this whole situation with this game has been bizarre. Have to wonder what the thread would look like without that tweet

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully psvr goes on sale soon. This, RE7, Moss, & super hot looking really good. And that From Software game too. (Forgot what's it called)
Superhot VR is barely funcionable/playable on PSVR, and that version probably cracks my top 5 game experiences of all time. Making a GOTY list this year isn't going to be easy because nothing I have played this year has come close to my experiance with Superhot VR.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Superhot VR is barely funcionable/playable on PSVR, and that version probably cracks my top 5 game experiences of all time. Making a GOTY list this year isn't going to be easy because nothing I have played this year has come close to my experiance with Superhot VR.
It did look incredibly fun when I someone stream it on twitch. I just wanted more awesome games on the psvr and we are definitely getting there!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime you are compared to Mario you know you did something right.

Sounds like a special game.

Can't wait to try it.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh. Odd chance talking about Tethered and its composer earlier. Same person has done Astrobot!

(and LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway)

Tearaway has an amazing soundtrack.

I love the trialer tune from Astrobot too.

ASTRO BOT TUM TUMTUM ASTRO BOT TRUM TUM OH MY GOD SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP

Oct 26, 2017

It was my second favourite game last year, only being edged out by Odyssey. It's completely awesome is what it is.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I'd hardly say Superhot VR is barely functionable and playable on PSVR. It works just fine? I never had any issues with playablity.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I really love about what I'm hearing about this game is the actual way it's using VR. Not enough discussion is going on about this.

It's merely using the technology to construct the level around the player rather than forcing them to play in the 1st person perpective, in a cockpit, or via teleporting around a level. It's simply a 3D platforming game where you are able to look around and has some light 4th-wall breaking elements.

There is no reason why we cannot get more games in traditional genres like this. Fighting games, 2D Shmups, beat-em-ups, RTS, etc. The games actually work well when they're NOT in the 1st-person perspective.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

There are quite a lot of high quality games now. Shameless self promotion on my part, but check this out: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/09/guide_best_psvr_games

Obviously Astro Bot will be going into this soon! :)

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

There are literally oodles of great games on the PSvR. The problem is that they are all, like Astro Bot before tweetageddon struck, fairly low profile. If you can be bothered to dig a little I promise you that you'll strike gold.

Deleted member 43446

Banned
May 15, 2018

Really? No one? You don't remember any games not named Mario from 20 years ago?

I get what you mean, but you are also being as hyperbolic as the statement you are trying to call out.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe some game journalist should've called Firewall VR's "Wolfenstein 3D" moment.
You may be on to something there... Quick! Get on the phone to Sony marketing!
Shit, am I gonna need to pick up a VR set? How does it work with a lazy eye?
It mimics the way you see the world normally, so it should be similar to how you usually see your surroundings.
Forgot about this game, just sold my PSVR : /
On the flip side, whoever you sold it to will be happy ;-)
How does PSVR handle multiple people with different eye width? Is it saved to the user profile?
Yup.