• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus Japan has posted official FAQ for the Persona 5 The Royal remaster.

https://p-ch.jp/news/8295/

Here they have confirmed you cannot upgrade the PS4 version of Persona 5 Royal to the PS5 version.

3Kcf2Qs.png

Not sure if this was previously confirmed, but I haven't seen it before.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Why even bother doing a native PS5 version in the first place when the game is already fully playable on PS5 as it is? I don't understand why they're even doing this, but it's even funnier that they expect people to pay for it again. Insane.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Basically they want you to buy the PS5 version specifically even though you could play b/c with the PS4 ver.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
hquJXvx.png

Also, only PS5 and Switch will have a physical version, so digital only for Xbox fans.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, but whatever, I played it twice, I don't have another 120+ hours to play it a third time

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
hquJXvx.png

Also, only PS5 and Switch will have a physical version, so digital only for Xbox fans.

This is for Japan, where there is one physical Xbox game a year, but given it'll be on Xbox Game Pass, I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case for the west as well.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I beat the PS4 version of P5R, it was my first exposure to Persona and I didn't meet the requirement for the last semester. This doesn't effect me at all, because if I get P5R again it'll be on something that makes it easier to load save states (so, probably Steam). I have no time to play through 70+ hours of gameplay again (as much as I loved it), but I'd definitely be interested in playing the semester I missed out on.

More and more I'm getting stuff on Xbox because of this though, Microsoft seems to be a hell of a lot more friendly with forward compatibility. Xbox this gen is the first time I feel comfortable in going all digital because of how friendly the eco-system has shown to be for that.

GoGo Nabrai

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2022
They know their Altus fans can't say no to buying multiple physical copies of JRPGs.

For the collection!

Even though I can't think of any Altus game that has had any value since the reprint PS2 days. At least on consoles.

Chuck795

May 7, 2020
Lol just finished the 3rd palace on my Royal playthrough too... guess my 2nd playthrough wasn't meant to be

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
That wording is absolutely the worst thing to say there. At least the benefits don't seem worthwhile at all, 60fps is cool, but 30 is fine for a game like this. The DLC is mostly meh too.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This is for Japan, where there is one physical Xbox game a year, but given it'll be on Xbox Game Pass, I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case for the west as well.

True, true. I hope Atlus gets a FAQ for the West ready.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Since when Royal came out all the stores were closed I ended up going Digital with it, so I'll probably actually pick up the PS5 version physical... when it's $20 or something.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
In the last thread someone called it. Guess the issue is that this version has all the DLC so an upgrade would mean getting the DLC for $10.

With that said it's still dumb (extra if you bought all the DLC for the PS4 version).

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no Atlus

Going through 5 Royal without any benefit of having finished the OG P5 was one thing, but I am not fucking going to pick this up for full price and go through this game fresh for a 3rd time.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I paused my playthrough until they clarified. Guess I'll unpause and finish on the PS4 on PS5 version.

I would have paid for the DLC pass though, if that was the sticking point for an upgrade.

Alex de Souza

Jul 14, 2022
Anyway, while I loved the game, I don't believe the PS5 version will bring significant improvements to justify another playthrough from those who played on PS4. I mean, we're talking about a 100 hour game.

Furthermore, aesthetics and gameplay style are not dependent on high-end graphics or performance.

This is a must buy for those who haven't played it yet.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off I'm not paying 60 bucks for what ¿60 fps? and some shitty dlc I'll never touch

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's because of the DLC they are including in this version. I bet.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
everyone called it but it's still funny.

if you're on the fence and were waiting to play P5R i'd highly suggest going and buying the PS4 version now on PSN while it's like 23 bucks in the summer sale. it outputs at native 4K anyway!