Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
"we would appreciate it" lol

hey if you don't mind if you could just give me my fucking money thanks

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I'm not going any further into this because it's completely off topic but its literally insanity if you think the PS5 can handle outputting Persona 5 at 8K on the PS5. We are barely seeing any native 4K games on PS5, and if they are native, it's generally 30 FPS (there are exceptions to this rule of course). These larger in scope games are for the most part in the range of 1440p - 1800p and then upscaled so 60 FPS is achievable which is totally fine. Sure, the Touryst can do it but have you seen what the Tourist looks like? It's a pretty simplistic, good looking game built for the Switch first.

8K gaming is a meme, RTX 3000 cards can barely handle it. So the PS5, a console that generally plays its games at just under native 4K is going to somehow play games at 8K? And who could even play it at 8K? 4K TVs are still not even that popular still. Come on now.

I was more responding to you saying PS5 can barely handle 4k, which it can easily do for last gen games.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
but its literally insanity if you think the PS5 can handle outputting Persona 5 at 8K on the PS5.
All other things being equal (ie. I'm not talking about some remade P5 that has its visuals augmented for PS5) I don't see why not? While P5 was developed for PS3, it's visual make-up/rendering pipeline is still overwhelmingly that of a PS2/Xbox gen title, just in high-definition with higher resolution assets.

Tourist looks like? It's a pretty simplistic, good looking game built for the Switch first.
Yes - and while it's arguably geometrically less complex (it's hard to directly compare given the completely different camera-perspectives) it's also arguably more complex in shading/material handling. Consider that Switch could only reach ~900p in that title, and that's a console that has about 2x more GPU throughput PS3 did. Correcting for framerate doubling, that'd still make Touryst more demanding on the hw than P5, if only by small margin.

But let's ignore the above, and go the opposite way. Say that in fact, P5 is 2x more demanding on PS5 hardware than Touryst, that would still be enough to run it at 8k@30.

And who could even play it at 8K?
Probably the people Atlus expects to pay full price for the same game for the third time... again... all over... ahem... sorry I had to get that out of the system.

Nah, PS5 has roughly 3x the GPU power of PS4 Pro while 8K is 4x the pixels of 4K.
Eh - so far we've seen plenty occurrences of PS5 GPU outperforming PS4Pro by 4:1. Sometimes more - I wouldn't put my hand in fire it would be the case with this title, but it's also not impossible.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
hquJXvx.png

Also, only PS5 and Switch will have a physical version, so digital only for Xbox fans.
This is likely Japan only. Considering that most retailers in Japan don't even carry Xbox games anymore, this makes sense.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The same company that sold Persona 5 Royal at full price (wtih the +$100 versions that didn't even came with all the DLCs), had no upgrade path for vanilla owners to Persona 5 Royal on the same platform and didn't even include the og Persona 5 DLCs in P5R if you haven't purchased them originally (and added more paid DLCs for P5R on top of that), now wants you to buy the PS5 version separately? *GASPS*

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
I'm not going to lie , if there is no loading or even faster transitions than the ps4 version then I'm in.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021
It sucks to say this because Atlus makes so many great games but as a business they're massive assholes. I hope you guys are ready for Persona 6 to be cross-gen and then two years after we'll get a full priced re-release on PS5 with one new girl added and a new dungeon.

Of course discussing these things is usally pointless because fanboys will come in to tell you they'd gladly pay $100 again for a game they love.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
"We would appreciate it if you could purchase "Persona 5 The Royal"
for PlayStation®5 when you play with PlayStation®5."

I can't do anything but salute this. They know their fan base.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
LOL. I beat P5R already and have no intention of playing it again, but would any other company have the balls to do this besides Atlu$?

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Disgusting. I stopped playing R on PS4 at the second dungeon, waiting to upgrade to the PS5 version.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
The reality is that Atlus (and the industry at large) wouldn't do these kinds of things if customers didn't buy them. As a consumer, you only have a few options. Buy the games repeatedly to get all the content, wait until they are done making versions and only buy the final release, or stop buying their games altogether. I think the practice of re-releasing games one generation later is pretty gross on its face, especially when there is backwards compatibility, but there's something especially humorous about it when it's done for a game that's a million hours long. If I played each released version of Persona 5 now, we'd be looking at something close to 300 hours of time, possibly more. Persona 5 is a good game. It's not 300 hours good, and it's definitely not 180 dollars good.

Secret Bambino

â–² Legend â–²
Mar 21, 2021
and didn't even include the og Persona 5 DLCs in P5R if you haven't purchased them originally

To be fair, they kinda did, but it was not included in the game itself. Basically, they made all DLC from the base game available for free for Persona 5 Royal players, but it's in a separate DLC pack called the Legacy DLC Bundle.

Persona®5 Royal Legacy DLC Bundle

The Persona®5 Royal Legacy DLC Bundle comes with all the additional content from the original Persona®5.brbr1 playerbr30GB minimum save sizebrHD Video Output 720p,1080i,1080pbrbrDownload of this product is subject to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and our Software Usage Terms plus any...

I'm not defending Atlus, btw. This was the bare minimum they could do, IMO.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, they kinda did, but it was not included in the game itself. Basically, they made all DLC from the base game available for free for Persona 5 Royal players, but it's in a separate DLC pack called the Legacy DLC Bundle.

Persona®5 Royal Legacy DLC Bundle

The Persona®5 Royal Legacy DLC Bundle comes with all the additional content from the original Persona®5.brbr1 playerbr30GB minimum save sizebrHD Video Output 720p,1080i,1080pbrbrDownload of this product is subject to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and our Software Usage Terms plus any...

I'm not defending Atlus, btw. This was the bare minimum they could do, IMO.
I stand corrected then. For some reason I thought you could only get the DLCs that you've bought in P5 og.

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
Sigh...of course. I was going to get it on PC anyway, but that sucks for people that already bought it on console. It really wouldn't kill them to have some sort of discount.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
there's not even a paid (ugh) upgrade? You have to buy the entire damn game again?

"We would appreciate if you could buy our game again for the third time, thanks"

TaleBknB

Alt-Account
Banned
May 19, 2022
Atlus is under Sega now, they should not get a free pass from fans, they have financial security now.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Total Atlus move that is the only company that can get away with this with zero backlash. Atlus knows their fanbase.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus confirms I will not be buying this game again. I could at least see an argument for an upgrade fee but this shit is ridiculous.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sword and Shield is not redundant version of each other?

Not what I meant. "New enhanced version a year or so after release," is a whole different problem from "two slightly different games day 1," imo.

I was thinking things like the third versions, ultra sun and ultra moon, the G versions of monster hunter games, or the kingdom hearts final mix games. Those have all been replaced by dlc and expansions.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Wow, but it's the Atlus way. All this probably because they still want PS4 owners to buy the DLC. Nope, can't give that shit away for free. Also zero chance that saves can transfer over.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Yea, I'll probably end up double dipping on this (triple if base Persona 5 counts) either on Switch or PS5, but in any case that won't be at full price.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Welp looks like I won't be purchasing the PS5 version then, a game like Persona being 30fps instead of 60fps isn't enough of an issue that I'd pay full price for something I already own, especially since saves likely won't transfer.