• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Wait... what am I missing here. Are people upset because she only mentions racism vs all the other horrible shit that was prevalent back then? Or is she not supposed to talk about racism for whatever reason?

I've never put much stock in her lyrical poetry vs catchy rhymes and hooks...so what are people expecting here?

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Btw the problem with the line is not that it sounds racist, it's because it's a white girl randomly and casually throwing racial struggles on a song without actually having anything to say about it just to show how much of an ally she is.

Like, she could have achieved the same thing by just talking about sexism at the time which she's in a position to talk about genuinely since she's a woman, but no, she must appropriate PoC's experiences because everyone must know how much she cares about them.

Would talking about children pining for a bygone era of America without mentioning slavery sort of be rose-tinted glasses? You don't think people would be livid at her for not pointing out something so monstrous, no matter her background?

NekoCat

May 6, 2022
New York
Yeah, as others have said, the context makes it clear that she's just criticizing the idea of romanticizing a problematic past. But it is pretty clumsy and awkward.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Btw the problem with the line is not that it sounds racist, it's because it's a white girl randomly and casually throwing racial struggles on a song without actually having anything to say about it just to show how much of an ally she is.

Like, she could have achieved the same thing by just talking about sexism at the time which she's in a position to talk about genuinely since she's a woman, but no, she must appropriate PoC's experiences because everyone must know how much she cares about them.

It's not that she's trying to show she's an ally. She's poking holes in that childish fantasy that we have weird weekend threads about all the time. It's not about the racism, and it wouldn't be about sexism if she said that instead. It's about that ignorance of the past that we could change one thing and then just plop ourselves down and it would be so romantic with the horses and the corsets and whatnot. But reality isn't that simple.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

It's not really a random line though, based on the full verse. The very next line is about women being sold off for marriage. The lyrics are cheesy as fuck, but there's a purpose to it beyond looking like an ally.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States

Honestly I think she probably threw in the racist part so the narrative wouldn't be that she wanted to go back to 1830's to have a live in maid and owning people to work her land. Meh, I personally don't see anything wrong with the line or the song but it's awkwardly put in.

Nov 4, 2017
I could see the interpretation that she's minimizing the industrial system of slavery to "racism", which definitely feels glib. Also rich entitled white person leveraging black oppression for dramatic effect. I could see how it would make people uncomfortable. I'm a white, cishet, able-bodied male living in another country and it still rubs me the wrong way.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Would talking about children pining for a bygone era of America without mentioning slavery sort of be rose-tinted glasses? You don't think people would be livid at her for not pointing out something so monstrous, no matter her background?

Honestly, it would be just her talking about her experience. Other struggles notwithstanding, she doesn't want to go back to the 1830 because she's experienced sexism and she knows it was much worse back then. Don't really see how anyone would have a problem with that, it's not like she would be denying racism existed just because she didn't mention it.

What makes this line more hilariously bad and shallow is that, at a time when Swift though it was a good move for her, this was her take on an era where colonialism and slavery was okay:

View: https://youtu.be/IdneKLhsWOQ?si=O6_jxSbi3kbx9iNc

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
It's not that she's trying to show she's an ally. She's poking holes in that childish fantasy that we have weird weekend threads about all the time. It's not about the racism, and it wouldn't be about sexism if she said that instead. It's about that ignorance of the past that we could change one thing and then just plop ourselves down and it would be so romantic with the horses and the corsets and whatnot. But reality isn't that simple.

I think this is it entirely it right here. I don't think she needs to add linear notes or release a dissertation to the song to remind us that your experiences of the thoughts evoked in the song may differ based on your race, creed or religion.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think using the 1830s as an example is weird because I know virtually nobody being nostalgic for that time period. There's racists that idolize the Civil War because of the Confederacy, but I don't even know if racists are reminiscing for that decade in particular. Other than that it's fine, just poorly written like a lot of her music
People still get married at plantations (like Ryan Reynolds). There are slave cabin Airbnbs. Conservatives still go on about the southern strategy and the lost cause. There is plenty of nostalgia for that period.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... what am I missing here. Are people upset because she only mentions racism vs all the other horrible shit that was prevalent back then? Or is she not supposed to talk about racism for whatever reason?

I've never put much stock in her lyrical poetry vs catchy rhymes and hooks...so what are people expecting here?

She's not even doing that as this is the very next line

"And getting married off for the highest bid"

The whole point of the verse is criticizing the nostalgia some people cook up about different times in the past.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I could see the interpretation that she's minimizing the industrial system of slavery to "racism", which definitely feels glib. Also rich entitled white person leveraging black oppression for dramatic effect. I could see how it would make people uncomfortable. I'm a white, cishet, able-bodied male living in another country and it still rubs me the wrong way.

But that's not what she's doing. She's saying how wrong she was for having that childish fantasy where she could go back and fix the thing that she really didn't understand when she was young. Do you really think she's consciously boiling down all the sexism that happened then with the line about being married off to the highest bid? It's about how people romanticize these times and think in their ignorance that it was a wonderful time if not for the one switch they would flip. The point is that now she knows that it wasn't just racism or marrying women off that made those times bad.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's a bit awkward and corny but that tweet cut out the rest of the verse, eliminating the clear context behind the line.

She's looking back on those thoughts she had when she was younger in a negative light.

The OP should probably be updated with the full verse as well.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Seems pretty cut and dry, saying those days sucked and most people would be miserable.

Interesting mental exercise is trying to figure out how many times you would have died back then compared to now. I can easily think of 5+ times in my life (including my birth), and that's not taking into random colds/flus I got.

Blindside

Jan 23, 2020
As yes, Twitter: the first place I think to go to for in-depth discussion of lines within context.

(It is arguable that Twitter is one of the biggest reasons context collapse exists, alongside social media in general.)

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
As yes, Twitter: the first place I think to go to for in-depth discussion of lines within context.

(It is arguable that Twitter is one of the biggest reasons context collapse exists, alongside social media in general.)

It was even worse with the old character limit. At least now you can unroll tweet threads.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
yeah, twitter definitely isn't the place to find meaningful discussion about this stuff lol.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
As a black person, I would love to go back to those times without the racism involved. Thats always my disqualifier when we have these discussions .
I don't know if I could time travel and destroy racism as some cheat power thing I would want to deal later in the timeline, I mean it be fun to wipe out the British empire whenever plus if its the 1930s you get rid of the nazis too

Nov 4, 2017
But that's not what she's doing. She's saying how wrong she was for having that childish fantasy where she could go back and fix the thing that she really didn't understand when she was young. Do you really think she's consciously boiling down all the sexism that happened then with the line about being married off to the highest bid? It's about how people romanticize these times and think in their ignorance that it was a wonderful time if not for the one switch they would flip. The point is that now she knows that it wasn't just racism or marrying women off that made those times bad.
I appreciate that was her intent, but it doesn't undo how clunky the line feels, nor does the artist's intent negate how it makes the listener feel.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
If she does decide to become more politically involved this kind of thing is going to be rampant.

Not that people won't have valid reasons to take issue with her, I just see the right trying to poison her image.

And this comes from someone who is Swift ignorant.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Oh look, it's doom-scrolling's first cousin; outrage-scrolling.

A - The line is fine in context
B - She's talking about a childhood experience.
C - She mentions being married off to the highest bidder in the very next line; it's not just about the non-white experience.

This is typical social media cherry picking for bait.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017

I'm having a hard time grasping how a brief callout of racism is "appropriating PoC experiences".

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Think it's fine, and works in context.

Corny or clunky line or two is fine. Can't win then all.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
Yea I mean as I kid I fantasized about living in all sorts of past eras. I still think it'd be cool as shit to be a time-traveling tourist

But as an adult I also understand that in many points in time I'd wanna check out I wouldn't be safe, for any number of reasons

I can understand the lyric raising questions, but I don't think the sentiment is objectionable, even if expressed poorly. It's ultimately a lyric in a pop song.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty clearly about the fallacy of nostalgia than actually wanting to live in the 1830s. That said, the songwriting on this album seems pretty bad.

People still get married at plantations (like Ryan Reynolds). There are slave cabin Airbnbs. Conservatives still go on about the southern strategy and the lost cause. There is plenty of nostalgia for that period.
Not to be a pedant about it, but the lost cause was about the Confederacy. And the southern strategy is something else entirely (that's Nixon lol)

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

When I was in college I visited a plantation on Louisiana as part of the landscape architecture program because they had a nice garden there or something. The stupid asshole who owned the placed and walked us through it spent the whole time talking about how those were great times and how the whole slavery thing is hugely exaggerated. He even mentioned they contacted him about shooting Jango there, but he didn't agree to it because he thought he script was biased and historically inaccurate.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even in the least charitable reading at least it's not as bad as Grimes actually living out her Huck Finn fantasy

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
But if the romantization is built on a lie and you know this, why would you pick that time in the first place? Makes no sense. It's like you're only mentioning 1830 to follow it up with the criticism, because other people might often mention that time unironically. But then it's no longer about what time YOU want to go back to at all.

Weird

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like she's just venting about how dumb her friends were when she was young as well as against the lure of nostalgia and simple narratives about the world. Pretty meh, but I guess it's spicy for someone as mainstream as her.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Seems fine to me in context? She's basically saying it's easy to romanticize the past but it was actually quite shitty.

Still a bad song, and I don't think the lyrics are particularly good, but I also don't think they are promblematic, personally.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I was told this was the songwriter of the century

Lyrics are not problematic though if that's what you're asking. Just shit writing

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think using the 1830s as an example is weird because I know virtually nobody being nostalgic for that time period. There's racists that idolize the Civil War because of the Confederacy, but I don't even know if racists are reminiscing for that decade in particular. Other than that it's fine, just poorly written like a lot of her music

If you think there aren't a ton of people nostalgically romanticizing the early 19th century, I don't know what to tell you. A person could be buried alive beneath the number of romance book pages set in that era.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
And here I thought it was just her fans who over analysed her lyrics, apparently those who don't like her are out for a few "Gotcha's" too, keeping it classy.

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
And here I thought it was just her fans who over analysed her lyrics, apparently those who don't like her are out for a few "Gotcha's" too, keeping it classy.
I actually do like her, not a swifty though. Didn't make thread to hate. Legitimately was wondering. My partner thought it was a bit odd, so I wanted to see.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
In the song "Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?" on the new album, Taylor sings the word:

Wow, endorse taking drugs much??? In the middle of an opioid crisis, she sings about freaking narcotics. Get this woman out of here #taylorsmithisoverparty

Status
Not open for further replies.