• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My predictions are fairly close to NSW and XBO sales. Just lowered PS4 a bit too much, I thought Pro supply issues would hurt sales more.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No one (even Magicpork) is SUPPOSED to reveal any NPD data whatsoever, but then again absolutely no one is materially hurt by a handful of numbers. Keep in mind that NPD used to share the Top 10 Software along with hardware numbers DIRECTLY to NeoGAF for years. Any modern-day leak is an extension of that. Now if I were posting thousands of SKUs all at once like back in 2004, that's another story altogether lol

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe dominated Switch exclusives this month.

Really appreciate you and few others sharing insights and some numbers for fun :D

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I said PS4 didn't break 200K. That's the one ratio Magicpork had a bit wonky. It's supposed to be +9% YOY instead of +10% YOY.
Thanks for the updated number. Quick question if you are still taking them and if you can answer, if we were round to the nearest 5K, does PS4 round to 195K?

Predictions will round to the nearest 5K I think so like I said "close enough".

EDIT: Actually a better question. Is the gap between XB1 and PS4 over or under 30K?

Jan 1, 2018
Do we know if in US the attach rate for MK8D is increasing, decreasing, or staying the same without any significant deviation?

As the switch library broadens, it'll decrease for sure, but it's still, in terms of WoM, a must-have for the console, and an easy and safe go-to for parents buying the console for their children to play.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting data! For example, you may ask to yourself, "Why didn't Octopath Traveler dominate Switch exclusives? Isn't it only in its second month?" Follow the logical thought processes here!

Sure but it is a JRPG, these games are known for having a big drop after the first few weeks and MK8D is probably selling around 100k now.

It would already be great if Octopath manages to hold in the top 10 tbh.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's interesting data! For example, you may ask to yourself, "Why didn't Octopath Traveler dominate Switch exclusives? Isn't it only in its second month?" Follow the logical thought processes here!
Well, OT being a JRPG suggests that it had a steep drop-off in its second month, so I'm not sure if that tells us anything about how well MK8D is doing...

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Lelouch already told you how well MK8D is doing! He's pretty astute, almost like he knows something...hmm...

I guess it's par for the course that Octopath Traveler had a steep dropoff, but I still expected more out of it. I thought it had some legs to it so it might subvert the typical JRPG cliff fall a bit.

What about GOW aqua :p

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so lets go with this. The ratios are apparently accurate so I'll use those.

NSW: ~203K
PS4: ~197K
XB1: ~162K
3DS: ~71K

NSW: ~203K
PS4: ~181K
XB1: ~114K
3DS: ~116K

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Lelouch already told you how well MK8D is doing! He's pretty astute, almost like he knows something...hmm...

I guess it's par for the course that Octopath Traveler had a steep dropoff, but I still expected more out of it. I thought it had some legs to it so it might subvert the typical JRPG cliff fall a bit.

Octopath had 4 weeks of tracking in July, there was no way that it would hold well in August. Anything below a 80% drop is really good imo.

Hahah no insider info on MK8D but since we have HW numbers and it is a dead month, ~50% attach-rate given past data and it was not that hard to guess.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

So did Octopath disappeare completely from the charts?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's rare to see JRPGs have really any sort of legs unfortunately

Pretty much the worst drop offs for any genre honestly

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Besides the usual suspects (MK8D, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey), Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate also did pretty well physically! Not at MK8D levels obviously, but I'm really proud of its physical performance...I didn't think a physical HD port of a hardcore RPG 3DS game would get much traction, so it did better than I thought it would. And keep in mind the digital ratio for MHG: U is probably huge. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like 40%.

Nice to hear ! Especially since the game didnt even have a week of tracking. World probably helped to establish the brand even more in the US.

I wonder how you are guessing digital ratios since we don't have data from Nintendo ?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
My predictions are fairly close to NSW and XBO sales. Just lowered PS4 a bit too much, I thought Pro supply issues would hurt sales more.

You'r Forgetting madden came out in August so regular slims will sell well during that month, plus whatever was left for those Spiderman Pro bundles. It was probably a mix of both honestly. September will be the deciding factor if there is still an issue production wise with the PRO's.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You'r Forgetting madden came out in August so regular slims will sell well during that month, plus whatever was left for those Spiderman Pro bundles. It was probably a mix of both honestly. September will be the deciding factor if there is still an issue production wise with the PRO's.

Sep has spdey Pro and limit one so i don't think it will tell full story about Pro shortages.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. No.

I'll take one more question about the Big 3 hardware.

Are you taking questions about non-Big 3 and previous-gen hardware? :D

Years ago, when Nintendo claimed the 3DS was a "powerhouse," we had a relatively unfavorable comparison chart between 3DS and PSP, but 3DS' hardware legs seem to be better than many thought. Do you know how it's been doing compared with PSP at the same point in their lifecycles?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any simple questions about NES Classic / SNES Classic? They are the only other significant hardware this month.

I'm at work so I can't do any sort of comparisons. I'm also supposed to be working right now, haha.

I'll let others ask the Classic questions as I'm sure they have better ones to ask, but I guess we can infer their sales were pretty impressive then. Thanks!

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have any simple questions about NES Classic / SNES Classic? They are the only other significant hardware this month.

I'm at work so I can't do any sort of comparisons. I'm also supposed to be working right now, haha.

This may fall under the comparisons umbrella, but how are the Classics doing month-to-month? My local Wal-Mart has lots of SNES Classics in stock, so seems like stock isn't in shortage for that one. Wondering if it's selling at a decent pace still (indicating it'll sell-through its shipment and encourage a N64/GB Classic someday) or if it's dropped off a cliff indicating overshipment. Thanks!

Edit:
And thanks for the nudging on the monthlies! (^_^)

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Every month my confidence increases that MK8 + MK8D combined will make their way to that MKWii global 37M number. Should be sitting at 20-21M on the Q2 FY18 update leading into the monster Q3.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
So Aqua said 56% attach rate for MK8D for the month?

That would mean if estimates are right at least 112k?

So Monster Hunter probably did what, 60-70k In 3 days? Not bad for a port of a 3ds game with no marketing.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
so if I have the number right Nintendo is now up YoY Fiscal Year wise
2e14b4e399.png

You guys are in here saying Sony won't do a 199 ps4 for Black friday this year? LOL you guys are crazy. No matter how much momentum, or how good the ps4 is selling this year, Sony will do another $199 ps4 this year Period. that's not even up for discussion, they will do it.

Cant believe you guys are in here saying they wont because its selling so well...Lol smh

By the time November hits the ps4 will drop to $250. Then on Black friday it will be 199 for a week again. Count on it.
why would they? they are already at the head, they dont need to cut their revenue to sell more hardware on a gap XBOX will not close. they are better of selling less while making more from each unit

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
so if I have the number right Nintendo is now up YoY Fiscal Year wise
2e14b4e399.png

why would they? they are already at the head, they dont need to cut their revenue to sell more hardware on a gap XBOX will not close. they are better of selling less while making more from each unit

As posted earlier, the Switch number is wrong. It looks like it is closer to 205-206k.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a lot of people mentionning the 200$ PS4 deal during Black Friday.

The deal has drived hard PS4 sales during November. However, it should be mentionned more that a temporary price-cut is also impacting negatively sales when the price is back to normal.

Last year, PS4 had an exceptionnal November thanks to that but December was impacted negatively by it. When Sony is taking the decision to do a price-cut or not, they are looking at the whole picture.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I saw a lot of people mentionning the 200$ PS4 deal during Black Friday.

The deal has drived hard PS4 sales during November. However, it should be mentionned more that a temporary price-cut like is impacting negatively sales when the price is back to normal.

Last year, PS4 had an exceptionnal November thanks to that but December was impacted negatively by it. When Sony is taking the decision to do a price-cut or not, they are looking at the whole picture.
You're ignoring the part where their deals were bad in December.

Jan 1, 2018
MK8D physical attach rate this month was 56%, and that's JUST physical sales. My guess is with a 25% digital assumption, MK8D had a crazy 70% attach ratio this month. It really is quite a phenomenon.
That's insane. Really good to see adoption of evergreens maintain itself so phenomenally, while also seeing third party and indie software succeed so well on the console. Switch seems to have a very diverse audience in terms of games they like, with the only major glaring hole being that there's no Wii Sports-esque casual titles. Labo was supposed to target the "never played a game" crowd, but holiday might not look too good unfortunately. I'm sure Nintendo EPD is working on that, so we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.

Just rambling a bit here: Switch so far has a 52% attach rate with MK8D, on Wii U WW MK8 had a 62% attach rate, on 3DS MK7 had a 24% attach rate, and on Wii, MKWii had a 37% attach rate. I think Switch will easily pass 80M units WW, while it's clear that the attach rate *will* drop as more hardware sells, I speculate it will have an attach rate better than Wii, but worse Wii U - around 45% feels like a safe number to me, thus translating to a lifetime 36 million units, making it the second best selling title in Mario Kart, behind Wii by 1.1 million. Of course, we're still early days for these evergreen titles, so we'll see what happens.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
NPD 2018 totals (January-August)
PS4: ~2295K
NSW: ~1994K
XB1: ~1700K

NPD 2017 totals (January-August)
PS4: ~2191K
NSW: ~2003K
XB1: ~1231K

PS4: +5%, NSW: -0.5%, XB1: +38%

bubu exclusive are the most important thing

i expect btw based on benji's comments ps4 is going to get a big hardware bump in september due to spiderman. because it also happened for god of war. however it was short lived compared to xbox sustained growth as we see from the yoy figures.

hardware will always>software. ps4 won this gen on dominant more powerful base hardware in years 1-4. xbox is growing because of xbox one x...and eventually it will top ps4 as xbox one x price starts to decline, which makes ps5 necessary. This despite we were told X would be a small seller because it costs $500 and have little to no effect....

MS however bungled any real shot to come back this gen when the X didn't come in at a more mass market price of 399. Sometimes I wonder if they'd have been better off making a more rough ugly matte system rather than a super refined quiet Apple like product. Going with 8GB RAM instead of 12. And targeting 399. At the end of the day though i dont know if that would have been enough to hit 399 anyway, only ms knows those spreadsheets.

Last edited:

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You're ignoring the part where their deals were bad in December.

50$ off the Pro.
50$ off the Slim for the biggest week of the month.

It was no 200$ deal, but like I said, if you can't keep the deal into December, then December will be impacted negatively.

December 2017 was 500k lower for PS4 than in 2016 and 2015 despite having comparable deals.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

i expect btw based on benji's comments ps4 is going to get a big hardware bump in september due to spiderman. because it also happened for god of war. however it was short lived compared to xbox sustained growth as we see from the yoy figures.

hardware will always>software. ps4 won this gen on dominant more powerful base hardware in years 1-4. xbox is growing because of xbox one x...and eventually it will top ps4 as xbox one x price starts to decline, which makes ps5 necessary. This despite we were told X would be a small seller because it costs $500 and have little to no effect....

MS however bungled any real shot to come back this gen when the X didn't come in at a more mass market price of 399. Sometimes I wonder if they'd have been better off making a more rough ugly matte system rather than a super refined quiet Apple like product. Going with 8GB RAM instead of 12. And targeting 399. At the end of the day though i dont know if that would have been enough to hit 399 anyway, only ms knows those spreadsheets.
Dude, don't you get tired downplaying exclusives so much? GoW literally made Sony increase their forecast, it doesn't get any better than that.

50$ off the Pro.
50$ off the Slim for the biggest week of the month.

It was no 200$ deal, but like I said, if you can't keep the deal into December, then December will be impacted negatively.

December 2017 was 500k lower for PS4 than in 2016 and 2015 despite having comparable deals.
Well, from what I understand those two months are mainly dependent on deals, if people find a better deal on another console then they will go with that.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Reads just like the graphs from the article:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015...-widen-its-console-sales-lead-over-microsoft/

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Lmao this is so wrong it's actually funny to read.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Well, from what I understand those two months are mainly dependent on deals, if people find a better deal on another console then they will go with that.

November is indeed very dependant on deals. Black Friday is all about deals.

December is more about gifting and buying family-friendly stuff. Price can be a factor, but that's not the main one. Switch was the most expensive console last December (excluding Pro/X) and sold the best.