• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm more of an almond milk au lait guy, but whatever works.

Mild disappointment...

I'm not sure I agree on the idea that Fortnite can expand the Switch audience much. These type of games tend to develop their success on community and streaming, and that's not the Switch's forte. Has any Switch game been a big hit on Twitch? I remember Splatoon having a (small) audience for a while, but I wouldn't make any bets on the online component of a Nintendo console providing a big push for its success.

I'm probably too negative, but while Fortnite is still going strong it's a community driven game, and it already expanded on all platforms it could before coming to Switch. I think the Switch version has a very uphill battle to fight to gain a significant share of the pie.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm a little disappointed that no one so far pointed out that spider man's success is overrated as gaas games are making much bigger profits anyway.

Who cares about launching with multiple millions of units in 5 days when you could be getting BILLIONS IN LOOT BOX MONEYS

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Thanks appreciate it.

I'm switching a lot of my content soon to Twitter so follow me there if you haven't. Never gonna abandon Era but gonna be on Twitter a lot moving forward

Goddammit, I'll actually have to start using Twitter properly now.

On Labo - as I said before, Nintendo put the cart before the horse by releasing it before they got all the kids on board with Pokemon so instead of it being a $60 novelty toy+game, it became a $360 novelty toy+game. Or Nintendo grossly underestimated the desire of gamers to build cardboard stuff.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Who cares about launching with multiple millions of units in 5 days when you could be getting BILLIONS IN LOOT BOX MONEYS

I think developers and expecially publishers are still going to move towards the GaaS model because aside of being good money, it's easy money. People keep pointing out that staying on top of the GaaS market is difficult (it is) but it's still a lot easier to make money out of it in terms of investment and time.

The fact that mobile-focused companies keep releasing new games that cannibalize the audience of their previous ones should tell you everything. I think the GaaS model is becoming less and less about keeping a game afloat for years (think World of Warcraft) and more about getting as much money from the audience in the honeymoon period and then move on.

Feb 26, 2018
*big_think*

What do you think about Sony software performance this gen? Every big new release end up selling even more than everyone expects. Do you think that Sony can come close to Nintendo first party success?

kjtc1979

Nov 27, 2017
Mild disappointment...

I'm not sure I agree on the idea that Fortnite can expand the Switch audience much. These type of games tend to develop their success on community and streaming, and that's not the Switch's forte. Has any Switch game been a big hit on Twitch? I remember Splatoon having a (small) audience for a while, but I wouldn't make any bets on the online component of a Nintendo console providing a big push for its success.

I'm probably too negative, but while Fortnite is still going strong it's a community driven game, and it already expanded on all platforms it could before coming to Switch. I think the Switch version has a very uphill battle to fight to gain a significant share of the pie.

No idea about the online community aspect, but Fortnite is huge with kids and them being able to play it on a portable device is a big selling point for that demographic.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goddammit, I'll actually have to start using Twitter properly now.

Era will always be my home make no mistake. I love the hardcore dedicated sales community and there is far less noise here than on Twitter

But at the end of the day I am looking to branch out and expand a bit, and Twitter is the easiest way for me to do that

But Era will always be the best way to follow me no mistake

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
That'll be insane :O

We know is gonna sell about the same in the US, and so far we know it has sold twice as much in the UK and in Japan. So if we extrapolate to the rest of the world we get those numbers.

Of course the data we get from Sony could be different, so instead of units sold in 3 days we get units sold in a week, to make it 5M for example. We'll see :)

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Unfortunately,as somebody mentioned already,last time we had to wait 13 days for those 3 days of GoW sales numbers... :(

patapon

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
We know is gonna sell about the same in the US, and so far we know it has sold twice as much in the UK and in Japan. So if we extrapolate to the rest of the world we get those numbers.

Of course the data we get from Sony could be different, so instead of units sold in 3 days we get units sold in a week, to make it 5M for example. We'll see :)

Haha can't wait :D

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017

Can't wait for the 'Only 5mio? That's not impressive. PS4 has an install base of 81.2mio. 5mio is only at little bit over 4%. That's bad.' posts and tweets. You know they're coming. =D

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Now I'm wondering if Spider-Man will affect hardware like GoW did and make Sony increase their forecast, the Pro shortages though.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
How about Sony PR folks just decide to troll us and say that Spiderman sales have "exceeded expectations" without releasing any numbers...? ;)

Or X million hours played, or whatever metric instead of actual sold units XD

Can't wait for the 'Only 5mio? That's not impressive. PS4 has an install base of 81.2mio. 5mio is only at little bit over 4%. That's bad.' posts and tweets. You know they're coming. =D

Lol those posts are funny indeed :-D

Also I think Spiderman is gonna have crazy legs. I myself wasn't interested in it, (not much into superheros or disney, and I didn't like Ratchet & Clank, I guess for similar reasons) but a friend bought it to share play it and oh boy this game is gooood. It's fun, the story is surprisingly good, the swinging is amazing, the combat is a step above my "batman" expectations, graphics as well (puddlegate, lol)...

People that buy it are gonna tell their friends, I'm sure the word of mouth is gonna be as good as GoW's was (is)

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
why in Jesus name would Sony have shortage of pro any way, there been not reports of any particular piece of hardware being battled for like during Switch.
the bottleneck isn't hardware parts or assembly lines but final test. local government only allowed to test up to 4 consoles at the same time to avoid damages on the building's static and noise pollution. employees of the nearby airport were heavily complaining about the unbearable din.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
Has any Switch game been a big hit on Twitch?

Mario and Zelda were up there for a while, but the only Nintendo-specific things i can think of that i see regularly are those Zelda (LTTP?) randomisers in the 2-3k viewer range. That's about as far as i scroll when I'm bored and looking for something to watch for a little bit while i eat. There have been some indie games up there in the 10-20k+ range for a while, but they shared viewers with pc streamers too.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Ceramic parts or whatever they are called are low on supply.
let me remake that question: what part that Pro has that PS4 does not is on low supply? (unless is that ceramic thing and im being stupid)

Mild disappointment...

its on the go that is not slaved to mobile. so that is a plus imo

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. Spider-Man will completely destroy the sales of previous Insomniac games.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing

Wish I could say more about Spidey, because well it's doing God damned phenomenal, but PR is coming soon anyways

As good as you think the few physical charts you've seen are......its not the full story. Not even close
Whew.

This seems to imply digital is soaring too.

Damn. Spider-Man will completely destroy the sales of previous Insomniac games.
Feels good when one of your favorite devs are skyrocketing. They heading to another level.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony could have sold soooooo many Spider-Man PS4 pro @ $399 with decent stock hehe.
It's even charting right now on the Amazon hourly @ $599 by third parties.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How about Sony PR folks just decide to troll us and say that Spiderman sales have "exceeded expectations" without releasing any numbers...? ;)
Or pull the classic.
5 billion YouTube views.
1 Bilion hours played.
521 million backpacks found.
100 million webs shot.
47 million thugs captured.
Over 5 million players played.
THANK YOU FOR THE SUPPORT!

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I think Spiderman's rampant, explosive success will lead to a whole new relationship between Insomniac and Marvel and SIE. If Spiderman can be THIS successful then I can see a whole bunch of new blockbuster Marvel games in the future.
you have to think is whether or not the character and the type of game works. not all Marvel hero would be fit for this type of exploration action games

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think Spiderman's rampant, explosive success will lead to a whole new relationship between Insomniac and Marvel and SIE. If Spiderman can be THIS successful then I can see a whole bunch of new blockbuster Marvel games in the future.
Are you talking about the UK and Japan performance or something else?

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony won't send a PR without giving actual numbers that's for sure.

4.5M first 3 days seems about right, we have >400K (With Digital) in UK + Japan, we also know from Benji that US performance is better or in line with God of War, we know that God of War sold way less in UK & Japan too and still did 3.1M WW 1st 3 days.

Now Spidey is much stronger in other regions than God of War, specifically Europe so safe to say Spidey is outselling Kratos 2:1 over EU, 3:1 in Japan.