Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

"As part of our DC slate, some legacy development titles including New Gods and The Trench will not be moving forward," Warner Bros. and DC said in a statement. "We thank our partners Ava DuVernay, Tom King, James Wan and Peter Safran for their time and collaboration during this process and look forward to our continued partnership with them on other DC stories. The projects will remain in their skillful hands if they were to move forward in the future."

Ava's got lots of other projects lined up, including a CW DC show, so I'm guessing it's more of a time commitment thing. James is still doing Aquaman 2 later this year.

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Uh oh. That means they're diverting funds and writers to continue what Snyder started.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i wanted ava to get a win but i did not want tom king to get one, so i have mixed feelings

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This really sucks. Heaven help us if its because they are seriously considering having Snyder make Justice League 2.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While I have no history with New Gods, I was optimistic for it.

As for The Trench, as much as I love horror movies set in the ocean, I could care less about that entire faction. Despite giving a few interviews about it, the people involved were never able to give any details other than "It'll be scary." Without defined protagonists or more details about who the characters would be, it was hard to get excited for that movie other than 'James Wan does horror'.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I never believed The Trench was going to be a thing anyway, hopefully Wan still gets to do the Aquaman sequel.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Better to focus on Aquaman 2 honestly, Aquaman was a big hit at the box office that DC needed, can't fuck up the sequel.
I don't think this means anything for Synderverse though, as much as i want to finally see Darkseid or Brainiac, i don't think JL2 is gonna happen.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This really sucks. Heaven help us if its because they are seriously considering having Snyder make Justice League 2.

They aren't. There are like 20+ DCEU movies in "development," and most of them certainly will never get made. I don't know why they bother to announce stuff so early on.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
lol I would hope so

one is an entirely brand new movie and also not four hours long

Sure, but they hyped the fuck out of that movie and made it a major event. I'm really only saying that because people are suggesting WB might ride with Snyder's vision for the DCU going forward. It's possible, but this isn't a sign of anything, other than Warner Bros doesn't know what they're doing.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The Trench always seemed like a odd-ball pitch that surprisingly got greenlit.

Would've been interesting to see Ava's New Gods and how close to Kirby they would've taken it.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Not surprised. Dc announces these project but they don't make it to production. It's just tossing it out there to see what sticks. Be happy to eat my words but don't expect flash to even make it to the finish line.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think part of it is that they're concerned Eternals is going to beat them to market and eat New Gods' lunch.

Kinda disappointed about Trench being cancelled, though. I love me some sea monsters.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. And this got announced even before Eternals did.

Only one "race of ancient gods created by Jack Kirby" movie allowed I suppose.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Both Ava and Wan deserve better than this. Like, I wasn't specially interested in neither of the projects themselves, but the talent behind them would've put my ass on the theater day one.

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Ava Duvernay wanted to do a New Gods movie is stunning and amazing and I'm upset WB just gonna let it die on the vine

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
New Gods felt like it wasn't even gonna happen tbh. But I guess it was making some progress? So that's a shame for Ava. Her projects about race relations have been good but wrinkle in Time sucked ass tho so I wasn't particularly excited about that one just yet.

As long as Wan stays on Aquaman 2 tho (and hopefully we get an announcement of them replacing Amber heard one day) then I'm not bothered about trench being cut either.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
This movie always felt like a non-starter. How many DC movies have been announced at this point, and how many of them are actually in some form of production?
tbh WB announces a DC movie is in development means nothing,at some point they had FIVE movies attached with directors around Harley Quinns popularity