Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
the trench could've been good, it could've had Garth and kaldur, it would've been dope.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The New Gods have always seemed super lame to me. Ancient aliens and aliens-as-gods are incredibly weak concepts. I did have a modicum of interest in it because of the creative team. Didn't give a single rat's ass about the Trench, though.

Dr. Wario

User requested ban
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
This sucks. Curious that one of the reasons for New Gods getting the axe was that WB don't want Darkseid on the big screen again so soon.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
Honestly not sure why they announced that Trench movie at all. A spin-off focusing on popular side-characters is one thing. But on a location that appeared for 5 mins with no other set up is another.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
tbh WB announces a DC movie is in development means nothing,at some point they had FIVE movies attached with directors around Harley Quinns popularity

That's what I'm saying. Here's a list of DCEU films that are in development:

- The Amazons
- Batgirl
- Blackhawk
- Blue Beetle
- Deadshot
- Gotham City Sirens
- Green Lantern Corps
- Harley Quinn vs. the Joker
- Hourman
- Lobo
- Nightwing
- Plastic Man
- Static Shock
- Supergirl
- Zatanna

Those are films that have been mentioned over the last five years. You should believe in these, instead: Suicide Squad, Batman, Black Adam, Aquaman 2, and Shazam 2.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- The Amazons
- Batgirl
- Blackhawk
- Blue Beetle
- Deadshot
- Gotham City Sirens
- Green Lantern Corps
- Hourman
- Lobo
- Nightwing
- Plastic Man
- Static Shock
- Supergirl
- Zatanna

Those are films that have been mentioned over the last five years. You should believe in these, instead: Suicide Squad, Batman, Black Adam, Aquaman 2, and Shazam 2.
Yup. You can almost scratch every one of those off the list unless they end up being some small budget, HBO Max exclusive release.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018

- The Amazons
- Batgirl
- Blackhawk
- Blue Beetle
- Deadshot
- Gotham City Sirens
- Green Lantern Corps
- Hourman
- Lobo
- Nightwing
- Plastic Man
- Static Shock
- Supergirl
- Zatanna

www.polygon.com

A guide to all the different Harley Quinn movies being developed

There are at least four Harley Quinn movies right now

you forgot Harley Quinn solo movie and the Batfleck solo movie and Cyborg solo movie and Justice League Dark and other shit WB threw in the wall

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Trench was a really cool sequence in Aquaman, but I'm not really sure what kind of narrative they were going for there.

Sad we're losing the New Gods, but if it means we're getting ZSJL2 then it's worth the loss.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
What a time to be alive when DC can't get a New Gods movie off the ground when Marvel's literally done with Eternals and aching to show it. You told me that five years ago I'd call you a fucking liar. Super bummed out, especially with a big name like Duvernay rolling with it.

(Would've totally been on board with the movie redesigning the Apokoliptians too following the Snyder Cut. They're not bad but still disappointing.)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm sad that my friend who was incredulous about the concept of Granny Goodness when she showed up for two seconds in the Snyder Cut won't get to see more of her.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

- The Amazons
- Batgirl
- Blackhawk
- Blue Beetle
- Deadshot
- Gotham City Sirens
- Green Lantern Corps
- Hourman
- Lobo
- Nightwing
- Plastic Man
- Static Shock
- Supergirl
- Zatanna

They need to give Gotham City Sirens to Ava. She'll do a much better job than Ayer, who has yet to make a single good movie.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What a time to be alive when DC can't get a New Gods movie off the ground when Marvel's literally done with Eternals and aching to show it. You told me that five years ago I'd call you a fucking liar. Super bummed out, especially with a big name like Duvernay rolling with it.

(Would've totally been on board with the movie redesigning the Apokoliptians too following the Snyder Cut. They're not bad but still disappointing.)

I mean we live in a world where B and C-tier Marvel characters all have multiple successful films under their belts, meanwhile the higher-ups at WB still seem completely baffled as to how to go about making one Superman movie. I'd say that JJ/MBJ Superman film has about a 10% chance of actually materializing at this point.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Five years ago? Nah. If you'd said before Guardians came out, I would've been skeptical. But after that turned into a major film franchise, nothing's out of the realm of possibility.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
None of these movies were ever going to come out. DC is the film version of 90s Wizard magazine telling you about all these upcoming collaboration comics which exist only in a dream dimension.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Nooooooo, really??

DC films aren't real until they start filming ya'll. This ain't Marvel.

I feel like someone said Wonder Woman 1984 had more people streaming it than the Snyder Cut.

I read an article linked on era about that, I believe it did have more streams but it died off very quickly once released and apparently the syder cut has better long term viewership expectations because of good word of mouth. But honestly it'll be hard to know if they don't ever tell us in future. Warner bros doesn't really seem to know what it's wanting to do sometimes and jumps all over.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
A DC movie doesn't exist until the first trailer

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the studio who has had trouble tackling some of the most popular superheroes in the world were a little gun shy about moving forward with a pricy space opera featuring characters that even the comics don't even really like using unless it's Darkseid/Orion/Mr Miracle

OP
OP
Wingfan19

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
This feels like they're actually trying to DO something. Cutting films that were going no where and focusing on what's working.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the studio who has had trouble tackling some of the most popular superheroes in the world were a little gun shy about moving forward with a pricy space opera featuring characters that even the comics don't even really like using unless it's Darkseid/Orion/Mr Miracle
You shitting on Stompa?

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I can only imagine the reason this was officially de-nounced was because they already got paid to do it contractually, which is great for them haha.

A lot of these other DC flicks like Gareth Edward's Deathstroke, Chris McKay's Nightwing, Joss Whedon's Batgirl, Steven Spielberg's Blackhawks, Greg Berlanti's Blue & Gold, etc. are akin to vaporware or 'they met about it 1 time and shook hands'

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
We hadn't heard anything about New Gods in a minute. I figured it was dead. Marvel beat them to the punch with Eternals, and Darkseid being featured prominently In the Snyder Cut marketing made me think DC wouldn't bother with a different take on the character for a while.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
I don't even know what dc movies are in active production and what isn't anymore :/
Basically none of them unless they have stars attached.

I don't expect Nightwing, Batgirl, Lobo, Sirens, Hourman or Blackhawk to happen either, among countless others. Supergirl I think might happen, but I think will depend on how the characters received in the film she's debuting in first.

I think Static Shock is pretty safe despite being far out mind - but thats more because I have faith in Michael B. Jordan rather than in WB.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This feels like they're actually trying to DO something. Cutting films that were going no where and focusing on what's working.
But there's no clear through line for whats working at DC. Their biggest hits range from a colorful under sea adventure with Aquaman to a gritty rated R Joker film. How does less James Wan make any sense? They could have had a big hit on their hands doing something in the horror genre.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Honestly, Wan should just do the Trench movie under a different title, a deep sea horror movie doesn't have to be connected to DC stuff to be an interesting concept.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I could have bet money on The Trench getting canned, it just seemed too radical for WB to take a gamble on it.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Sure, but honestly, there really is no real "official" gameplan in the way Marvel does it. Right now, looking from the outside, DC's plan seems to be "lets give these characters people know and love standalone movies." I know The Flash movie seems to be Flashpoint and a few other sub storylines that brings together the universe in a way that'll hopefully give the DCEU a direction but that's really it.

OP
OP
Wingfan19

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Sure, but honestly, there really is no real "official" gameplan in the way Marvel does it. Right now, looking from the outside, DC's plan seems to be "lets give these characters people know and love standalone movies." I know The Flash movie seems to be Flashpoint and a few other sub storylines that brings together the universe in a way that'll hopefully give the DCEU a direction but that's really it.
I think they're holding their cards until the Flash goes into production has some footage/images to show. They might use it to solidify their slate and explain their plan going forward. At least I hope that's what they do.