• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
71TqCO2ZOIL._AC_SL1080_.jpg

That product exists and you can buy it right now
ahaha they even worked out the dimensions in that sub image.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just out from #6 and there isn't much to say that hasn't been said before, other than this just doesn't get old for me. Especially from the moment we see Payakan stuck with the tracker, but even the full length prior to that I'm always soaking it in like it's fresh. Smaller screen than the others, but still felt as big in scale. If it gets the premium screen back I'll definitely be going at least one more time. I feel like Jake and Neytiri hooking up to the tree of souls to see Neteyam again; I can't let go.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I'm team faithful page 1, but I just saw it for the first time (I know, I know). It was a solid 8/10, visuals were outstanding but I didn't like that Quaritch was the villain again. Don't know how I avoided that spoiler

Also my theaters sound system was fucked up and only the front speakers were playing sound. Will try to catch an iMax showing if I can.

Oct 25, 2017
Only three films have apparently stayed number one at the box office for at least six consecutive weeks

They were all directed by James Cameron.

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
Just out from #6 and there isn't much to say that hasn't been said before, other than this just doesn't get old for me. Especially from the moment we see Payakan stuck with the tracker, but even the full length prior to that I'm always soaking it in like it's fresh. Smaller screen than the others, but still felt as big in scale. If it gets the premium screen back I'll definitely be going at least one more time. I feel like Jake and Neytiri hooking up to the tree of souls to see Neteyam again; I can't let go.
I can't even begin to comprehend how you can watch the same film seven times in as many weeks 🤯 Not a knock against you or anything, I just can't imagine myself ever coming close to this. Movies like Master and Commander, Whiplash, Sicario, The Bourne Ultimatum, Hereditary are all among my favorites from the last 20 years, and I don't think I've even watched any of those seven times since they came out.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it in 3D IMAX today while on vacation in Colombia

Way better than I thought it would be, had a few boring moments but overall I was into this one way more than the first

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even begin to comprehend how you can watch the same film seven times in as many weeks 🤯 Not a knock against you or anything, I just can't imagine myself ever coming close to this. Movies like Master and Commander, Whiplash, Sicario, The Bourne Ultimatum, Hereditary are all among my favorites from the last 20 years, and I don't think I've even watched any of those seven times since they came out.

It's a unique theater experience that can't be replicated at home. I'm not surprised at all.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Haha, repetition on something I like is something I do frequently. I can listen to the same song on repeat for hours when I'm working, can eat the same meal each evening for weeks if it's healthy and I like the taste. Can watch the same movie a few times to soak in it, though that's honestly more exclusive to cinemas than at home (which itself drives it, since it won't always be available). Guess I just find comfort in repetition of things I like a lot.

A movie I connect with resonates quite deeply for me, on top of a love for film in general. Don't mistake this for me saying I'm usually dead inside but I think I find value in having something I know I can lose myself in and really feel a connection to sustained over the length of 2-3 hours. My next guess on a film that will have a similar impact is Suzume since I get it from the trailer and can watch that by itself ad infinitum. Though it likely won't hit Avatar levels since that's really a standout for me when it comes to the sheer number of times, and even then this one more than the first.

Either way, I love it. There's a lot of crap in life so I feel fortunate when I find something that just gives me that genuine joy.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Haha, repetition on something I like is something I do frequently. I can listen to the same song on repeat for hours when I'm working, can eat the same meal each evening for weeks if it's healthy and I like the taste. Can watch the same movie a few times to soak in it, though that's honestly more exclusive to cinemas than at home (which itself drives it, since it won't always be available). Guess I just find comfort in repetition of things I like a lot.

A movie I connect with resonates quite deeply for me, on top of a love for film in general. Don't mistake this for me saying I'm usually dead inside but I think I find value in having something I know I can lose myself in and really feel a connection to sustained over the length of 2-3 hours. My next guess on a film that will have a similar impact is Suzume since I get it from the trailer and can watch that by itself ad infinitum. Though it likely won't hit Avatar levels since that's really a standout for me when it comes to the sheer number of times, and even then this one more than the first.

Either way, I love it. There's a lot of crap in life so I feel fortunate when I find something that just gives me that genuine joy.
That's honestly awesome to hear. Very happy for you

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this film beats all the milestones set by Spiderman No Way Home for the simple fact that it's such a terribly made film. It looks atrocious at times.

Nov 14, 2017
Self-admitted "Marvel hater".

View: https://twitter.com/JohnDiLillo/status/1617608827662401541

First time I've seen someone openly and proudly labeling themselves that way. Lol

It's funny how box office returns can bring out the brain worms 😹

Constancy is a virtue 😇

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Film Twitter feels that Marvel has basically pushed out smaller, more diverse films by flooding the market and taking all the screens.

From an art standpoint, I get it.
They're wrong, but when MCU has been dominating for a decade plus I could see why they feel that way

The MCU could disappear tomorrow and those movies would still be relegated to streaming

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Film Twitter feels that Marvel has basically pushed out smaller, more diverse films by flooding the market and taking all the screens.

From an art standpoint, I get it.
Smaller and more diverse dramas still exist. There are so many of them every year. The problem isn't that Marvel pushed them out; it's that audiences aren't really interested in seeing them, either in theaters or at home.

May 14, 2021
Smaller and more diverse dramas still exist. There are so many of them every year. The problem isn't that Marvel pushed them out; it's that audiences aren't really interested in seeing them, either in theaters or at home.
I don't think that's true. I think the time it takes for smaller movies to go from theater to streaming has shrunk so significantly that it's more economical for many people to just wait them out. Smaller movies aren't typically "event" films where you have to worry about spoilers etc. And as a result of people being willing to wait, it seems like many of those films are just being sold directly to streaming services.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't think that's true. I think the time it takes for smaller movies to go from theater to streaming has shrunk so significantly that it's more economical for many people to just wait them out. Smaller movies aren't typically "event" films where you have to worry about spoilers etc. And as a result of people being willing to wait, it seems like many of those films are just being sold directly to streaming services.
So they go to streaming because people don't want to see them in theaters. How is that Marvel's fault and not the fault of the product themselves?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I think they do well on streaming. Same for traditional comedies. The only mid and lower budgets doing well is horror or thriller kept at a reasonable budget.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
What Hollywood needs is to figure out how to get that lost vhs/dvd sales revenue stream back, that allowed a lot of movies that didn't do so hot in theaters a bit of a second chance. But with streaming that ship has sailed

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't think I said it was Marvel's fault. I said it was due to the window of time between theater and streaming shrinking.
Movies like Halloween Kills and Ends were day and date streaming and still did well. I think if the product is interesting enough people will go out to see it. Hollywood can't keep copying and pasting the same rom-com or period piece and expect people to go out and see them. They gotta step it up

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
We're back to the talking about Marvel phase of this thread I see.

Anyway it's not really about the smaller drama films, but franchise cinema in general has pushed out smaller and original blockbusters and action films (and the more expensive drama movies). And a lot of the 'hate' also comes from how a lot of these movies feel like there is no directorial vision behind it. Apart from some set pieces most of them are very blandly directed. I've liked the MCU though I fell of of it mostly, but holy shit I crave for blockbusters that feel like they have a director with a vision behind the camera. That's why Avatar 2 felt so good (and stuff like M:I Fallout and Mad Max Fury Road before it). Cameron knows where to put his camera and how to tightly direct and edit action.

Hollywood can't keep copying and pasting the same rom-com or period piece and expect people to go out and see them.

In the context of this being a discussion about Marvel movies that's kind of ironic.

May 14, 2021
Movies like Halloween Kills and Ends were day and date streaming and still did well. I think if the product is interesting enough people will go out to see it. Hollywood can't keep copying and pasting the same rom-com or period piece and expect people to go out and see them. They gotta step it up
And yet Marvel keeps copy and pasting and people show up. They're event films, so their audiences show up regardless. Smaller movies aren't typically that so now that the wait times for streaming have shrunk, people are more inclined to wait and not risk Covid, or pay 30+ bucks.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that people think movie theaters are only for "event films" and nothing else is in of itself a problem. But I also don't think people are willing to wait out for smaller movies to hit streaming to see them; I think they're still not seeing them there either. The Fabelmans flopped at the box office, hit VOD three weeks later, and then flopped there too. Tar grossed just $7 million against a $35 million budget in theaters, and after bombing there, it hasn't exactly been blowing up the VOD charts either. Same story for She Said and a bunch of others. Audiences aren't turning out for these movies in theaters, the small theatrical windows mean they have no chance to build an audience in theaters, and then, unsurprisingly, when these films make no splash at the box office, there isn't much interest for them at home either!

We're back to the talking about Marvel phase of this thread I see.

Anyway it's not really about the smaller drama films, but franchise cinema in general has pushed out smaller and original blockbusters and action films (and the more expensive drama movies). And a lot of the 'hate' also comes from how a lot of these movies feel like there is no directorial vision behind it. Apart from some set pieces most of them are very blandly directed. I've liked the MCU though I fell of of it mostly, but holy shit I crave for blockbusters that feel like they have a director with a vision behind the camera. That's why Avatar 2 felt so good (and stuff like M:I Fallout and Mad Max Fury Road before it). Cameron knows where to put his camera and how to tightly direct and edit action.

The irony of Avatar in these discussions is that it was the original Avatar that cracked open the Chinese box office and made Hollywood obsessed with releasing films in that market. Which led to the decline of studio dramas and especially studio comedies/romcoms that wouldn't sell overseas and an even more hyper focus on blockbusters that are easier sells.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
So crazy that some blame Marvel for dramas and comedies not doing as well.

This has been a long trend in the making. More and more people simply choose to wait to watch those films at home, and prefer to see the big spectacle films in the movie theaters.

May 14, 2021
The fact that people think movie theaters are only for "event films" and nothing else is in of itself a problem. But I also don't think people are willing to wait out for smaller movies to hit streaming to see them; I think they're still not seeing them there either. The Fabelmans flopped at the box office, hit VOD three weeks later, and then flopped there too. Tar grossed just $7 million against a $35 million budget in theaters, and after bombing there, it hasn't exactly been blowing up the VOD charts either. Same story for She Said and a bunch of others. Audiences aren't turning out for these movies in theaters, the small theatrical windows mean they have no chance to build an audience in theaters, and then, unsurprisingly, when these films make no splash at the box office, there isn't much interest for them at home either!

The irony of Avatar in these discussions is that it was the original Avatar that cracked open the Chinese box office and made Hollywood obsessed with releasing films in that market. Which led to the decline of studio dramas and especially studio comedies/romcoms that wouldn't sell overseas and an even more hyper focus on blockbusters that are easier sells.
I'm not talking VOD. I'm referring to streaming services people subscribe to. I used to have to wait months before movies went from theater to VOD and then another few months before movies moved from VOD to streaming. Now it's short enough I don't ever bother with digital rentals anymore.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
In the context of this being a discussion about Marvel movies that's kind of ironic.
And yet Marvel keeps copy and pasting and people show up. They're event films, so their audiences show up regardless. Smaller movies aren't typically that so now that the wait times for streaming have shrunk, people are more inclined to wait and not risk Covid, or pay 30+ bucks.
The difference is people still go out to theaters to see Marvel movies and horror films, call them event films or whatever, they are doing something right. When people stop showing up to those films I'll say the same thing.
So crazy that some blame Marvel for dramas and comedies not doing as well.

This has been a long trend in the making. More and more people simply choose to wait to watch those films at home, and prefer to see the big spectacle films in the movie theaters.
Whenever someone says that it's kinda obvious they have some kind of bone to pick with Marvel. Cause it's not true at all lol

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking VOD. I'm referring to streaming services people subscribe to. I used to have to wait months before movies went from theater to VOD and then another few months before movies moved from VOD to streaming. Now it's short enough I don't ever bother with digital rentals anymore.
"People will wait until they don't have to pay at all" is your counterpoint? lol

It depends on the movie, it's not like everything jumps from theatrical to a streaming platform that quickly (Tar is coming to Peacock at the end of this month, a full 4.5 months after theatrical, for example). But even still, my whole point is that audiences are more and more devaluing non-event films, skipping out on theatrical, skipping out on VOD, and not really seeing them at all. Like do you really think movies that flop at the box office and flop in rentals will find a third life in streaming? Is Tar going to be a breakout success for Peacock? I think lack of interest cascades from one platform to the next. If there wasn't a big appetite for something like The Fabelmans or She Said the first time around or the second time around, I'm skeptical they'll find a bigger audience months later on a siloed platform.