piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeaaaah, AMC is borked. Got through the Fandango line, and it can't load the seating chart. AMC app won't even show movies right now. It also logged me out. AMC website won't load the seating chart either. Fuck me.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMAX for sure, especially if you have an IMAX Laser system in your theater. It's near Dolby quality, but the real reason you want to see it in IMAX is for the 26% additional picture since the entire film was shot on IMAX cameras.
See I did this last year for Infinty War and while I did enjoy the larger picture, the old school movie theater seats just weren't cutting it. Even standard cinema showings at my local theaters have recliners now. It's literally just IMAX that puts you into the uncomfortable seats where you have to share the arm rests.

Dolby for me this time. I'll catch an early IMAX matinee a week later when I can hopefully not have seat neighbors.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Has Cinemark put their tickets online? My app is sluggish but Im not seeing anything beyond the single 5:00pm fan event.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So glad i waiting in the queue on my phone as well. After being kicked to the queue from putting in my CC info in for an hour it only gives me an error. I'd be pissed if i waited an hour and it pulled this shit and I had no alternative.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Was in line this morning for 10 minutes, errors everywhere when I finally got in, wouldn't let me buy tickets, reboroted app, now in line for over an hour.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fandango days I have to wait at least an hour to buy tickets. Is there any other way to purchase? AMC's app seems to be non-functional.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Weird that it's releasing a day later in America; you'd think a film like this would have a completely universal release date.

Well if I'm not snapped I guess I'll be able to discuss the film before most Americans even have the chance. Gonna be real lonely in the spoiler thread.
Well when I say release date is the 26th, these are the "early preview" showing times at my local AMC on the 25th:

v6CjYOU.png

Basically every blockbuster film gets a 4-day opening weekend now. Oftentimes even more if there are early showings weeks in advance (like with Shazam).

With time zone differences I believe most of Europe is still about a day ahead though.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
See I did this last year for Infinty War and while I did enjoy the larger picture, the standard movie theater seats just weren't cutting it. Even standard cinema at my local theaters has recliners now. It's literally just IMAX that puts you into the uncomfortable seats where you have to share the arm rests.

Dolby for me this time. I'll catch an early IMAX matinee a week later when I can hopefully not have seat neighbors.
My IMAX has seats that lean back pretty nicely. Not as good as Dolby seats that fully recline, those are the best. What frustrates me is there really is no PERFECT choice, especially if you have lots of IMAX and Dolby Cinemas in your area. They both have advantages, so you have to weigh what is most important to you. If your IMAX still has the old style seating, then yeah I can understand that being a downer.

Endaeias

Jan 11, 2018
I'm not doubting people but this is so far from my experience that it's wild.

My personal experience is that I'm usually able to buy anywhere from 2-10 tickets for opening week at an 'upscale cinema' (where tickets are about $20 each - not IMAX/Dolby either) without any issues. If I try to go to any AMC or Regal cinema for the same time frame, I'm going to be faced with some of the issues people in this thread are having (in fact, I took a glance and I was thrown into a 40 minute "queue" for tickets at an AMC theater local while the one I got my row still has 2 rows (out of 5) available in the same showing I bought an entire row out). This is for any show from Thursday (25th) to Sunday (May 6th).

Plum

May 31, 2018
Well when I say release date is the 26th, these are the "early preview" showing times at my local AMC on the 25th:

v6CjYOU.png

Basically every blockbuster film gets a 4-day opening weekend now. Oftentimes even more if there are early showings weeks in advance (like with Shazam).

With time zone differences I believe most of Europe is still about a day ahead though.

Ah, so it's not as drastic as I thought. Seems that America just doesn't have the midnight release on the 24th and the morning/matinee showings on the 25th.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
Local chain only had a 9:30 PM showing in their IMAX Atmos theater, decided to wait til 7:20 on Friday for the pure experience rather than settling for a pleb theater on Thursday. A little annoyed I missed my alarm but happy to still get great seats. We're almost there!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My IMAX has recliners. Not as good as Dolby seats, those are the best. What frustrates me is there really is no PERFECT choice, especially if you have lots of IMAX and Dolby Cinemas in your area. They both have advantages, so you have to weigh what is most important to you. If your IMAX still has the old style seating, then yeah I can understand that being a downer.
I wish there could be a 2-in-1 Dolby IMAX theater. Dolby has the screen real estate, the 26% cut is basically just IMAX licensing.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ZLAY81V.png

RIP to the AMC Helps Twitter team this morning. I hope someone gets you donuts or something.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that it's not Fandango's system that's fucked, it's AMC's. So when Fandango gets to the point where it has to call out to AMC's system it fails.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny watching seats show up as taken then 15 minutes later when you refresh the page, they're empty because no one can actually checkout

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how true that is
i'm trying to get tickets for a Regal theater on Fandango, Regal and Atom right now and it simply isn't working lol

Regal has been messed up too. lol

When I bought tickets to the TCL on Fandango it went through super easy because that's not a path that has a lot of traffic.

I don't think this is a Fandango issue.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I think most people who got tickets got them before 8 AM EST when they were "supposed" to go up. I knew this wasn't usually the case so I was up at 7:30 AM EST refreshing the page, which turned out to be the right choice.

I was resfreshing Alamo's site at 7:55 and got in at 7:56. I've been going back occasionally just out of curiosity and 80% of the time their site won't even load.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
ugh tickets still aren't on sale at my local theater and now I have this paranoid fear that they're going out of business before the movie opens

probably just due to them not being part of a big national chain, though

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I can get to the seat selection page on AMC. Showings that said sold out are now available. Site shits the bed at checkout, though.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Regal has been messed up too. lol

When I bought tickets to the TCL on Fandango it went through super easy because that's not a path that has a lot of traffic.

I don't think this is a Fandango issue.

Same for me. It went right through at the Chinese theater even though going to their site instead of fandango said not available. Not ideal seats, but at this point I am just happy to have them.

Oct 28, 2017
Now Odeon have gone from 503 errors, to deciding that my two local cinemas simply don't exist.

Edit - And now back to 503s

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about everybody else, but I'm in the Cinemark Movie Club, so I have to buy through the Cinemark website, and my God, is this a terrible experience.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
I must have gotten super lucky, I tried Atom around 7:45, wouldn't let me purchase, tried the AMC app and every seat was available, got my choice for Dolby Cinema. Hyped!