Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29857

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only thing I have my doubts about is 'time travel Thanos'. Not sure if I like it, he feels like a completely new villain with a different persona.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does using the stones always take a toll or did it hurt Hulk and kill Tony because the gauntlet he designed wasn't as efficient as the dwarven gauntlet?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think that whole gauntlet sequence was especially dumb. It stood out to me. The problem is that the movies lack clear rules how the gauntlet is used. That's why I said "so many questions" . Your point is also valid. And was it even shown/known from IW that using the gauntlet almost kills the wielder? Why not just wish some protection against being killed? 🤔
It was established in GOTG1 that even holding one infinity stone is deadly to most beings in the universe. Let alone holding all of them and channelling their power.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think that whole gauntlet sequence was especially dumb. It stood out to me. The problem is that the movies lack clear rules how the gauntlet is used. That's why I said "so many questions" . Your point is also valid. And was it even shown/known from IW that using the gauntlet almost kills the wielder? Why not just wish some protection against being killed? 🤔
Thor tells the Guardians in Infinity War that a weapon that can match/combat the power of the Infinity Stones is a weapon that's too strong for mere mortals to handle (their minds and bodies would crumble), as such it can be inferred that the same applies for Infinity Stones - which we've seen time and time again throughout the MCU have that effect. That was most notably the case in Guardians of the Galaxy 1, one of the Collector's servants gets vaporized trying to use the Power Stone, and the same would've happened to the Guardians if Peter wasn't part-Celestial (and had to share it with the other crew). In Infinity War, Thanos who is essentially a titan/stronger than the Hulk, get his entire arm roasted. By the time Endgame rolls around and he's using it again, his face is roasted.

It's pretty obvious mere mortals aren't supposed to be using the stones, and it's practically spelled out when they say Hulk is the one who has to tank it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does using the stones always take a toll or did it hurt Hulk and kill Tony because the gauntlet he designed wasn't as efficient as the dwarven gauntlet?
It's the stones themselves. In Guardians, we see what happens when a mortal tries to harness the raw power of a stone. In Infinity War, Thanos' entire gauntlet gets severely damaged after using it. So does Tony's gauntlet in Endgame, but much like the Infinity Gauntlet it can clearly still be used after the fact.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
For the first time ever I will actually go rewatch a movie a second time at the cinema because of how much I liked it.

There was some lows, but damn the highs were amazing.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Still should've been shown. I felt annoyed for the remainder of the film. They show everyone braking their back to get the gauntlet off Thanos then Tony magically gets it with zero effort. The fuck.

Nanomachines son.

Stark touched the gauntlet and the stones moved to his gauntlet, since it's the same tech that works in his suit. That's why you see the stones moving to the back of tonys gauntlet. He simply transferred them to his gauntlet from the one Thanos was wearing. You didn't see that for the surprise effect.

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
He didn't erase anything. He just went back and created/lived in another reality where he and Peggy got together. Then perhaps after she died, and he didn't need to protect anything he used his bracelet to return to his original reality and pass on the shield. He might've very well prevented all those things you listed from happening, I mean there's probably a reason why he returns without a hammer but with the shield. We might even find that out in a future film.

If that's the case, wouldn't he have had to have appeared back on the time platform? Or is that only to be brought back to a specific point in time?

Like I said, I am totally cool with his ending and I think it makes sense for him to want to go back and be with her, but I certainly want to know more about the life he lived.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
The Budapest line between Clint and Nat also might be one of my favorites.

Because in Avengers Nat says while fighting "it's like Budapest all over again" and Clint responds with "You and I remember Budapest very differently".

And now when jumping we find out how Clint remembered it. They really nailed the Brother/Sister dynamic between those two this film.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen the film yet, but spoiled the shit out of myself due to once again lacking self control and restraint. Couple questions:

If Cap goes back to his time to have a life with Peggy, does it work in the same sense as Cap returning to 2012 and encountering himself? Is there a Capsicle in the timeline that Endgame Cap creates? Are there 2 Caps in this timeline? One that remains active with Shield/Avengers, one that lives the civilian life with Peggy? I like the idea of the present being completely unaltered due to any time travel events, and the visited timelines branching off into their own parallel universes. Cap being fulfilled with his dream life with his love and returning to his proper time is a good ending.

If the newly created timelines are inconsequential to the original Endgame timeline, there's nothing holding Endgame Steve Rogers from creating his own world when he returns to the 40s. He could, in theory, stop Hydra long before The Winter Soldier. He could stop the initial attack on New York by conversing with Thor during his first visit to Earth. He could prevent JFK's asassination, 9/11, and so forth. There should be nothing keeping Cap from being everything he can when returning to his rightful era.

Maybe Chris Evans will continue to be involved in the Marvel films, but in a more Samuel L. Jackson/Nicky Fury sort of role.

NMFried

Oct 25, 2017
TX
I'll bet they won't even address how fucked the world would be by all those people coming back after five years, lol.

Yeah I'm curious as to how this would affect the supporting cast for characters like Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and the Wasp and even the Guardians. Are their friends and family older now? Do they have knowledge of what happened? What about the people who died because of someone else who was dusted?

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So, Time travel question: with the Avengers killing Thanos in 2024, they create a different timeline branching off in 2014. Which is the very thing that the time stone guardian wants to prevent happening. So since Thanos can't snap away half the population and is gone, they create a potentially better timeline. Also explains why nebula doesn't die when she kills her past self.

But they still intent to bring the stones back. They can't really reach that past though, can they?

I believe it would have been more fitting if they had to make the choice to sent Thanos back to his time with his memory erased. It would have meant that they would have still had to come to pass with their loss which would have been fitting with the theme of the movie better. It still would have all happened when now they created a multiverse.

Still - all the emotional moments were on point and the first two hours of the movie were fantastically done! Thor stays MVP and I couldn't have imagined a more fitting end for Stark and Rogers.

Only real complaint I have is the action. It was shot way too hectic. All that beautiful action and I couldn't figure out what was going on. Way more civil wars 1st act then infinity war.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a comic book movie. Millions of children will watch it. Don't make things too complicated and in-depth.
Look even fantasy movies should have some rules and in universe logic. It's not that hard to implement some simple rules like "the stones have a cool down" or whatever. They took a long ass time to explain how time travel works (only to fuck it up with the cap scene at the end) but they can't give some simple rules for the main artefact of the whole series?

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
If Cap goes back to his time to have a life with Peggy, does it work in the same sense as Cap returning to 2012 and encountering himself? Is there a Capsicle in the timeline that Endgame Cap creates? Are there 2 Caps in this timeline? One that remains active with Shield/Avengers, one that lives the civilian life with Peggy? I like the idea of the present being completely unaltered due to any time travel events, and the visited timelines branching off into their own parallel universes. Cap being fulfilled with his dream life with his love and returning to his proper time is a good ending.
Cap going in the end to return the gems to close the parallel timelines and saying with Peggy shouldn't have created a new one. Depending how he did interact with world. And yes, there is two Caps, the Endgame one, and the one still frozen solid until first Captain Avenger. Guess he understood? that time is a looped construct and he couldn't change his past. Or future. However Hulk explained that if you go past, your past is your future and vice versa.

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos's arm was a husk at the beginning of this movie, so even the dwarven gauntlet takes a big toll on the user, it was just that Thanos was able to tank it more than everyone else

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So would Thor be able to use the stones without harm since he is a god?

In the MCU, Things are different. Thor isn't a God-he's an alien that lives a long time. To use the gems requires great power and strength.

In the comics, Thor is literally the Norse god of Thunder-and the gems can be used by anyone. Hell, even The Hood had the Infinity Gauntlet. Fucking Bendis.

1514604-12_avnv4010_cov.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So would Thor be able to use the stones without harm since he is a god?
Theoretically I think he might, but considering how out-of-shape he was in Endgame, he might not manage it. That might actually be why they nerfed him, Infinity War Thor was OP. Bruce was better equipped to handle it, plus they mention that the infinity gems are - scientifically peaking - pure gamma, which he can soak up.

Also it's kinda worth remembering the MCU is a little bit blurry about deity logistics. Odin points out in one of the Thor movies that they're not really "gods", they're most likely closer to demi-gods. I can't imagine Thor is on the same level as the Cosmic Entities that originally held the stones.

Either way, you're going to need a gauntlet to harness all of the powers at once.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Thanos mentions that it almost killed him and Hulk's arm gets pretty messed up. It's no surprise that a human would die.
Yeah sure but was it shown in IW? I honestly don't remember. Thanos seemed fine in the last shot of IW and he only got messed up after using it a second time in the beginning of Endgame to destroy the stones. But it's not even that important because it was clarified in Endgame.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You know-my biggest letdown about this is that this movie was the perfect chance to introduce the marvel cosmic abstract beings and it didn't happen.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit what a movie. Didn't expect them to begin the movie with Hawkeye, but it did set the tone beautifully and reminded us what's at stake. After having seen it i can't really agree with peeps who think the movie is too funny. Quite to the contrary this movie is full of sad moments. Sure there are jokes, but i don't think they set the tone for the whole movie.

The jokes are splendid like always. Hulk and Thor really stole the show. Hulk with the personality of Banner always staying in Hulk mode, and Thor as a drunk, videogames playing loser. Their scenes always produced the loudest laughs from the audience.

This movie is pure fanservice and i love it. Them traveling back in time to places from past movies was a nice pay-off to fans who have seen them.

The scale of the battle that comes near the end of the movie is the most bombastic i have seen. Everyone was in it. They all had their moments to shine. Tony being the one to end it all was predictable, but nonetheless impactful. His death hit me hard even though i expected it. It was a great send off. He started it all, and he is also the one that ended it. It's beautiful! The tribute they payed his character in this movie will leave no fan of his disappointed.

The only critic i have with this movie is that i didn't get any Hulk action. I thought after Infinity War he would be back in form do what he can do best. But him using the gauntlet prevented him from going all out. Would have loved to have a rematch between him and Thanos. Oh well.

Someone's story ends and another one's begins. Cap giving his shield to Sam symbolized that quite well. The future of the MCU looks great. Oh and this movie had women kicking some ass. Captain Marvel's integration into this movie was done wonderfully. She was badass and insanely strong but not the point where it made the fight seem trivial. Well done

My most anticipated movie right now is "Asguardians of the Galaxy" lol

And with this i'm out. Good night everyone.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Look even fantasy movies should have some rules and in universe logic. It's not that hard to implement some simple rules like "the stones have a cool down" or whatever. They took a long ass time to explain how time travel works (only to fuck it up with the cap scene at the end) but they can't give some simple rules for the main artefact of the whole series?
What's your issue with the gauntlet? It's pointed out in several movies, Endgame included, that normal human beings (& other comparative beings) cannot handle the power of the infinity stones coursing through their body without dying. That's why Hulk is the one to use it for the anti-snappening and even he is severely damaged by it. Tony is a human, of course he'd die.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So would a Celestial in the MCU be able to use the stones harm free?

Also, will Hulk's arm heal do we think?

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Cap going in the end to return the gems to close the parallel timelines and saying with Peggy shouldn't have created a new one. Depending how he did interact with world. And yes, there is two Caps, the Endgame one, and the one still frozen solid until first Captain Avenger. Guess he understood? that time is a looped construct and he couldn't change his past. Or future. However Hulk explained that if you go past, your past is your future and vice versa.

giphy.webp

I thought I understood.

I don't believe it's possible for Cap to interact with Peggy for a lifetime and not create a parallel timeline. That's changing history, it shouldn't just somehow pour out into the Endgame timeline.

tumblr_pn2km6RR5G1y0c06so1_500.gif

This wouldn't make sense.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Walked in with no expectations and was completely taken in by the fake out opening 20 minutes.

Time heist through the MCU greatest hits. What a perfect place to take the story.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
That was superb i am gonna write my full impressions later.The sound got cut just before cap said avengers assemble,had to watch that part twice till the scarlet witch-thanos bit.Korg was my funniest moment,love how op 2014 thanos was,he really was unbeatable.So many cameos,the portman one was a deleted scene from dark worldt?Also that random teen at the end was the boy from iron man 3?

Only complaint was how freakishly thin L.Wright was,that stood out :(

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
So, Time travel question: with the Avengers killing Thanos in 2024, they create a different timeline branching off in 2014. Which is the very thing that the time stone guardian wants to prevent happening. So since Thanos can't snap away half the population and is gone, they create a potentially better timeline. Also explains why nebula doesn't die when she kills her past self.

While not directly explained, my interpretation is that when Tony snaps the Thanos Army away and they turn to dust, they aren't dead per se as much as snapped back to 2014 (unaware), to continue the timeline as it was. So the events of guardians, infinity war etc. continue unaltered.

Also, we're apparently supposed to believe that every student with a speaking part in Peter Parker's class was dusted, to avoid them being five years ahead of him in Far From Home. Bit convenient, but okay.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Still should've been shown. I felt annoyed for the remainder of the film. They show everyone braking their back to get the gauntlet off Thanos then Tony magically gets it with zero effort. The fuck.

His armor is of the same kind as the glove, the stone simply wander through to Tony while he is touching the glove - we see them get into place after he's thrown off.

To date MCU rules for infinity stones seem to be you can't use one directly if you don't have the make-up of a being in tune with the Power Cosmic and suchlike. It is as if it's the cosmic nature of the stones' power, not just the intensity, that is the issue.

Peter can partially withstand it with help because he's half-cosmic.

Ronin, with his Asgardian-like strength and durability, was capable of grabbing the power stone for a moment, but had to quickly insert it into his weapon.

Hulk, who is far more durable than an Asgardian or Kree, could handle a gauntlet but that many stones at once did serious damage to his body.

Thanos can hold the stones and use them all at once. In addition to his Hulk-level strength and durability, he possesses the physical make-up of species that channel cosmic power.

Last edited:

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I was blown away by this film. The feels! Also did not see the 5 year skip coming at all, nor the time heist story backbone.

It was so great to get a movie that had so much going on and at the same time gave its scenes the time to breathe. 3 hours perfectly well spent.

And oh my god when everyone returns for the final battle. My brain couldn't comprehend and was in a constant state of OMGWTF. I have to see this again asap.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
While not directly explained, my interpretation is that when Tony snaps the Thanos Army away and they turn to dust, they aren't dead per se as much as snapped back to 2014 (unaware), to continue the timeline as it was. So the events of guardians, infinity war etc. continue unaltered.

Also, we're apparently supposed to believe that every student with a speaking part in Peter Parker's class was dusted, to avoid them being five years ahead of him in Far From Home. Bit convenient, but okay.

Well, I thought about that, but it's not intended that way since they used the same dust effect as before and nebula is still dead.

It's not breaking the movie for me and might even be explained in the future as a jumping off point, but I like time travel shenanigans and this one could've been solved a little more elegant in relation to the theme of the movie and the internal logic for this time travel heist.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Okay so I watched it and liked it. I had no specific expectations but while it was a good movie, it was not amazing. Kind of disappointed as a whole. The middle half could have been way better in particular.

Some really atmospheric moments, especially in the first 30 minutes. A good farewell overall that gets done what needed to get done while giving good moments to most characters.

But there are problems. Humor first. I thought they found a balance in some recent Marvel movies but here it often felt either useless, poorly written or misplaced/forced.
Many questionable decisions about the visuals, the music, the plot, the pacing, the use of characters and so on. I need to digest it and maybe my opinion will slightly change.

I don't want to sound too negative as I still enjoyed it. My favorite moments were Clint/Natasha suicide contest, Tony/Peter hug ans Cap/Thanos fight ending.

I didn't follow online reactions so what's the consensus here ?

razakin

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't believe it's possible for Cap to interact with Peggy for a lifetime and not create a parallel timeline. That's changing history, it shouldn't just somehow pour out into the Endgame timeline.

This wouldn't make sense.
I think it is still possible. Though, had to check some stuff and apparently Carter had a husband he met after Cap got frozen solid and had two kids with. Though, the name of the husband was never told or more explored, as it was kinda planned to happen in the Agent Carter show. So could be that they tied that plot with Cap being the husband in the end.

And Cap grieving the late Cater still makes sense, at that point it's the current time Cap, and not the future-past Cap, who either went back to the future or just lived his life quietly and normally till the end of Endgame. It's just a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff in the end.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017

wmvodlckys711.gif

image10.gif

ThinElasticDiplodocus-size_restricted.gif

6721672-1528666596_43c0f0b7-8fd8-4cf5-87ad-191118dedc3e.gif

Infinity Stones fuck you up.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What's your issue with the gauntlet? It's pointed out in several movies, Endgame included, that normal human beings (& other comparative beings) cannot handle the power of the infinity stones coursing through their body without dying. That's why Hulk is the one to use it for the anti-snappening and even he is severely damaged by it. Tony is a human, of course he'd die.
- how did Tony make more gauntlets?
- why didn't Hawkeye or anyone use it at the end instead of dragging it around the whole battlefield. Especially Hawkeye was ready to sacrifice himself for the others, why not simply use the gauntlet then to safe allies that died in the battle?
- some clearer rules how to use it. How often can it be used. Can it bring people back from the dead etc.

But those are only some (more or less minor) issues on top of many many issues I had with the movie. And yes, I can still enjoy things. And no I don't overanalyze things. But sometimes it's just too much bullshit to handle. And that's the case in Endgame for me personally.

I loved both Thor 3 and IW. I liked almost all the other recent MCU movies. But I think Endgame wasn't a good MCU movie. It had it's moments but overall it was pretty bad/stupid IMO. It lacked action, it wasn't as funny as other MCU movies, it was badly paced and it was highly predictable and really cheesy.

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Also the entire fight scene between Thanos, Cap, Tony and Thor. It's like duh, we get it, they're all men.

But they have plenty of screen-time fighting alongside everyone else. literally the only screen time some of the women had was in that one moment (Shuri, Wasp, Valkyrie). Felt disingenuous, especially for a film that just killed off the first female Avenger. They are implying there is some sort of 'weight class' and other than captain marvel, the women need to just fight lesser foes. They did the same in Infinity War where the avenger's women had to kill off the only female villain by themselves. it's belittling.

Status
Not open for further replies.