• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
There's estimated ticket sales based on yearly average ticket price which is about as good as it gets for that.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1

Avengers End Game is currently sitting in 34th all time at 73 million tickets, The Force Awakens finished with 108+ million, Avatar has 97.3 million, Titanic has a whopping 135.5 million. I believe these are domestic.

Nothing is touching Titanic in the modern era most likely for people who actually went to the theater or butts in the seat as it were.
Keep in mind that list includes reissues, so Titanic also includes over 7 million estimated reissue tickets, and many of the older movies have numerous reissues. Basically every movie prior to the early 80s on that list is massively inflated. Ticket counts can also be inflated for movies with high 3D/premium ticket sales, which were exceedingly common for Avatar.

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Endgame not only will overtake it in revenue but is 10x the movie avatar is. James cameron should retire because he's lost that midas touch.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Endgame not only will overtake it in revenue but is 10x the movie avatar is. James cameron should retire because he's lost that midas touch.

What is this? Avatar has held on the record for almost 10 years now. It was a brand new IP... Of course its record was to be broken. Remember Titanic held on to this (also JC) for a dozen years before Avatar.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the dirty little secret of this situation is Avatar's world wide gross is close to 3.3 billion if you adjust for inflation

Titanic is at 3.1 billion

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
the dirty little secret of this situation is Avatar's world wide gross is close to 3.3 billion today if you adjust for inflation

Titanic is at 3.1 billion
Stop adjusting for inflation, my dude.

Adjusting for one factor and ignoring all others is silly. And it's impossible to account for everything, so it's futile regardless.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War is #5, so she could do 4 of the top 6, but if Avatar 2 makes top 5 it would bump IW out.

Regardless, still a crazy achievement

Zoe has simultaneously the best and worst agent in the biz. Managed to give her a leading role in the latest James Cameron extravaganza, and supporting ones in the Star Trek reboot and the MCU. But outside those, big ol yikes.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
If Endgame does somehow fall short of Avatar, would Disney do a re-release or double feature or something at some point to push it over the top?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
If Endgame does somehow fall short of Avatar, would Disney do a re-release or double feature or something at some point to push it over the top?
Most likely a rerelease and then advertise it as the 'biggest movie ever' for home release.

Then they'll re-release Avatar prior to A2 so they can advertise Avatar as 'biggest movie ever' again.

But that's only if it's super close. It might not even be close.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
How to make even more money at the box office.

Step 1 - attach exclusive Spider-Man trailer or clip to the end credits (maybe the one released should have been cinema only for 2 weeks)

Your Welcome Disney Marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Depends on how close, yea. We've seen movies get limited runs or even sit in theaters for 6+ months to reach milestones.

I remember taking my mom to see LoTR: Fellowship in the summer. The movie came out the previous December.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
For one, the Avatar area at Disney World is wildly popular, and it's still very busy despite being open for over a year. People love Avatar. I don't know who they are, but they exist in droves.
It's popular because it's another part of Disney World. Splash Mountain being popular doesn't mean people have fond connections to Song of the South.

My sister-in-law just came back from Florida, and when I asked her about the Pandora theme park, she seemed hesitant to even recall if she had seen the movie it was based on. (She had. I watched it with her.)

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For one, the Avatar area at Disney World is wildly popular, and it's still very busy despite being open for over a year. People love Avatar. I don't know who they are, but they exist in droves.

It's popular because it's another part of Disney World. Splash Mountain being popular doesn't mean people have fond connections to Song of the South.

My sister-in-law just came back from Florida, and when I asked her about the Pandora theme park, she seemed hesitant to even recall if she had seen the movie it was based on. (She had. I watched it with her.)

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Sounds like shit.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, what planet are you currently living on?
I will never get how far some ERA members will take their willful ignorance to discredit the success of the MCU.
Lol WTF are you talking about
It had mass appeal in 2009. I don't think it has that same appeal now, especially when compared to MCU movies.

Dunking on OP, hatejerking Avatar, etc.
Black Panther, Infinity War, Captain Marvel and Endgame all made over a billion in the box office, but yeah, no mass appeal, sure.
This statement from 10 years ago wants to go back to its time! Release it you kidnapper!
What does this even mean

I'm not arguing MCU films do not have mass appeal. They do, they've expanded upon the audiences who would see comic book based characters. But Avatar came before CGI fantasy movies were doing 1billion. And it had no established story or characters, or even audience to build on.

And it did almost $3billion. Out of nowhere. It's astonishing when you consider it.

It drew upon a wider net of society. You had a more diverse audience (in age group for instance) that went to see Avatar than did Spiderman films. It was the type of film that soccer moms who had no interest in CGI blockbusters would watch.

The point I'm making therefore is that Avatar had a different type of mass appeal than MCU films have, and that's why I think no one would be shocked if it beat Endgame's numbers.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm just going to stir the pot and say it's way more impressive for a brand new scifi IP like Avatar to break the record then it is for a heavily established comicbook franchise with 10 years of hype buildup.

Oct 27, 2017
Your time is coming phonciple
3520803-toolate.gif

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I'm not arguing MCU films do not have mass appeal. They do, they've expanded upon the audiences who would see comic book based characters. But Avatar came before CGI fantasy movies were doing 1billion. And it had no established story or characters, or even audience to build on.

And it did almost $3billion. Out of nowhere. It's astonishing when you consider it.

It drew upon a wider net of society. You had a more diverse audience (in age group for instance) that went to see Avatar than did Spiderman films. It was the type of film that soccer moms who had no interest in CGI blockbusters would watch.

The point I'm making therefore is that Avatar had a different type of mass appeal than MCU films have, and that's why I think no one would be shocked if it beat Endgame's numbers.

The MCU began with nobodies, and is still reliant on nobodies (GOTG, Captain Marvel, Black Panther etc). The icons Marvel had were with other studios like Fox and Sony until recently.

You're right that Avatar had a different relationship with the public but any franchise is going to have it tough with cultural penetration without the audience loving its characters and its lore.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The MCU began with nobodies, and is still reliant on nobodies (GOTG, Captain Marvel, Black Panther etc). The icons Marvel had were with other studios like Fox and Sony until recently.

You're right that Avatar had a different relationship with the public but any franchise is going to have it tough with cultural penetration without the audience loving its characters and its lore.
I don't think BP and CM can be considered nobodies. They may have not been household names, but the biggest franchise to the biggest media company in the world pushed them. There is no way in hell you can get the Vince McMahon push and be a nobody at this stage. Them being new characters is irrelevant when MCU itself is the household name, just like 90s animation and Disney.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I don't think BP and CM can be considered nobodies. They may have not been household names, but the biggest franchise to the biggest media company in the world pushed them. There is no way in hell you can get the Vince McMahon push and be a nobody at this stage. Them being new characters is irrelevant when MCU itself is the household name, just like 90s animation and Disney.

They began as nobodies is my point. Until Civil War and Captain Marvel the general public didn't know who they were. The public barely knew who Cap was until he had a movie and the rest of the Avengers would have made them confused before the MCU kicked off. The only iconic characters they had prior to the MCU was the X-men, Hulk and Spider-man. The MCU characters didn't have the 90's animation and Disney, while they had cartoons the ones who made a hit were X-men, Spider-man and maybe Hulk. They became famous exactly like Avatar did with the movies, except unlike Avatar people remembered who they were. It wasn't until decades later than those characters would star regularly in cartoons.

I made this argument as Mues' stance was that Avatar started from scratch.

Oct 27, 2017
apparently an entire week,.

I'm not sitting through an hour of an Avatar nerd describing how much they love Avatar. But yeah, walk around Animal Kingdom and you'll see them in the high hundreds, all Naavi'd up.

lol that video isn't of an avatar nerd. that's jenny nicholson. she's a youtuber who's a disney/theme park nerd. the video is fairly sarcastic in tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.