• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Is marketable what we care about? Reason I went for attendance is a ticket sold is a ticket sold, regardless of format and I didn't want people saying exactly what you're saying, being that it got a lot of money from 3D showings. Premium formats are a lot more common now than they were in Avatar's time anyway, which is why I didn't bother mentioning that aspect.

Endgame will never beat Avatar when it comes to attendance, and that's a fact.

Regardless, I don't see why people seem to care if Endgame beats Avatar so much, like they have some personal stake in it. Disney wins either way.
Accounting for either thing is just as dumb. Attendance is dumb because it doesn't account for the same competition/markets, streaming at its peak, length of a theatrical window etc.

Accounting for just 3D is dumb. Accounting for just modern China market numbers is dumb. Accounting for exchange rates is dumb. Account for inflation is dumb.

Stop trying to account for one thing over another and stop trying to do the impossible that can't logically be done.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Accounting for either thing is just as dumb. Attendance is dumb because it doesn't account for the same competition/markets, streaming at its peak, length of a theatrical window etc.

Accounting for just 3D is dumb. Accounting for just modern China market numbers is dumb. Accounting for exchange rates is dumb. Account for inflation is dumb.

Stop trying to account for one thing over another and stop trying to do the impossible that can't logically be done.
Really? Comparing the number of people who went to each is dumb? Nah. It's not. By your logic comparing them in any way at all, including money made is dumb.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is marketable what we care about?
In a thread comparing avatar and endgame's box office? Uh, Yes?
Endgame will never beat Avatar when it comes to attendance, and that's a fact.
Endgame is only $70M behind Avatar on the adjusted chart on box office mojo. It's possible though unlikely with the current run and probable if Endgame ever gets a re-release.
Regardless, I don't see why people seem to care if Endgame beats Avatar so much, like they have some personal stake in it. Disney wins either way.
You must be a lot of fun at Super Bowl parties.

Last edited:

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
For Avatar?

The best superhero movie is The Matrix.

tenor.gif
giphy.gif

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can imagine the adjusted box office threads.

Week 43 |OT| Dark Phoenix Burns Out -Gone With the Wind still leads

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Avatar is really only worth seeing if you can see it in high quality 3D. The work Cameron with the format can't be understated.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Both cuts of Dances are amazing, the DC does plod a little but they are both great.
Plus the imagery in dances is stunning without CGI.

And this moment is not in Avatar

RrhAIh.gif

I watched the four hour cut of Dances With Wolves last year for the first time and I thought it was fantastic. When a movie is great you really don't feel its runtime.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw Dances With Wolves (I believe it was the 4hr cut) a couple year ago and man, I loved that movie. Such a classic.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

The only reason I ever watched Avatar a second time is because my 10 year old (at the time) wanted to watch it based on the cover. LOL

I saw it in theater, but never watched it again after that. I put it on at her Grandparents (in 3D even) and the GF and I left halfway through to get dinner together.

The movie doesn't do anything for me. Great visuals though. My (now 11) daughter loves the movie.

I've also made no effort to see Endgame. I'll watch a digital copy.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah? What does do good?

I think attendance is a pretty important factor to consider. If it passes, it's because Avengers had a lot of help that Avatar didn't.

Hahaha, yeah Avatar DEFINITELY wasn't helped by releasing in December and coasting through the duldrums of the early months compared to Avengers having to fend off a new blockbuster every week.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, yeah Avatar DEFINITELY wasn't helped by releasing in December and coasting through the duldrums of the early months compared to Avengers having to fend off a new blockbuster every week.
Avatar was released the same weekend as another blockbuster that did well.... better than film in May has done up against Endgame so far.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I havn't seen endgame yet. Maybe it will come down to me 😁
I'm waiting for last minute, can't stand people who eat or talk in theaters. So i will wait until it's empty rooms to go.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If believing that makes you feel better. Not like Sherlock Holmes and Alvin 2 released a week after Avatar did.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
So Endgame will end up at #2?

Here's the silver lining (for Endgame fans): apparently becoming #1 turns everyone against you, and your movie is hated until something else becomes #1. So Endgame at #2 (and therefore the entire MCU) is safe to remain universally loved by everyone. Remember that during the talk about what a colossal failure it is for coming up short.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Protip: Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks 2, two movies that each grossed 200M domestically, released one week after Avatar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.