• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I would have loved to see endgame crack 3 billion because it's fun seeing records broken but I'm also happy avatar held on. It was just such a crazy insane run that avatar had that it feels like it deserves its place. Also it's hilarious reading back on the all the people in this thread doing premature victory laps. Everyone went off way too early.

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Whatever breaks the record next it needs to just absolutely destroy it. Not barely skirt by and claw for the record. It needs to be something that comes out of nowhere and goes scorched earth on the previous record.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Realistically it will stay In theaters for another month or two right? At least until Spider Man next month. I think it's still gonna do it.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Realistically it will stay In theaters for another month or two right? At least until Spider Man next month. I think it's still gonna do it.

It will barely be hanging on by that point. Some cinemas are already not showing it and there are some big movies coming up. It's not going to suddenly start having legs.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Reality is often disappointing.
yYWlM3Z.png

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
It will barely be hanging on by that point. Some cinemas are already not showing it and there are some big movies coming up. It's not going to suddenly start having legs.
If it follows in IW tracks those weekends will be like $2.5m for lead up week and $1.5m weekend for Spidey. And right now it is trending a good chunk below IW already. So if it gets a Spidey bump it will be like $200k extra or something insignificant.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Would be the first sequel to set the new benchmark then. It has always been original films or first entries in series that set the box office record so far. Would be cool to see that tradition continue.

I prefer originals to set records personally. One of the reasons I'm happy the Avatar record will likely still stand. But, I hope Avatar 2 delivers mind blowing visual effects... which are all too rare these days.

Is there anything in the pipeline that people realistically has a chance to be record shatteringly huge?

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I prefer originals to set records personally. One of the reasons I'm happy the Avatar record will likely still stand. But, I hope Avatar 2 delivers mind blowing visual effects... which are all too rare these days.

Is there anything in the pipeline that people realistically has a chance to be record shatteringly huge?
No. It is Usually something out of nowhere. We expected Endgame to be a monster, and it was. But look back at things like Jaws, Star Wars, or Titanic. Nobody expected them to go that giant.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Whatever breaks the record next it needs to just absolutely destroy it. Not barely skirt by and claw for the record. It needs to be something that comes out of nowhere and goes scorched earth on the previous record.

Wonder what it would have to be to be something this massive. Think it would have to be something that shows off some kind of crazy new movie tech.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder what it would have to be to be something this massive. Think it would have to be something that shows off some kind of crazy new movie tech.

Needs a broad and repeat audience. Endgame was hugely front loaded due partly to spoilerphobia and even Feige saying 'hey two weekends and then we'll just spoil shit' and as an end to a series it restricts the audience at least a little bit.

Avatar and Titanic are both action movies and romantic movies rolled into one. So you get people going for the spectacle, for the special effects, for the action, for the romance. Hugely broad audience - probably many people that don't get out to the cinema very often. Thats the kind of thing that lifts movies like Titanic and Avatar above the rest.

Avatar is the 'Everything I do, I do it for you' of movies.

Mar 18, 2019
When Endgame came out, I was predicting it would fall short of Avatar. And then got a bunch of people telling me I'm wrong. But now it looks like I was right all along.

Many saw the huge opening and assumed it would smash Avatar. Overlooking that the reason for Avatar's record was its amazing legs, not a huge opening.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Cameron was the first member of the one billion club.
First member of the two billion club.

Will be the first member of the three billy club.

So it is written.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

To be fair, Avatar had a re-release in theaters that pushed it's numbers up more.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Avatar had a re-release in theaters that pushed it's numbers up more.
Only by 30 million, didn't really do much, the fire had ran out already by then. Amusingly that might be enough to stave off Endgame. All movies in the all-time box office charts have all their releases grouped together btw. That's how Titanic got over the two billion mark.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe what a bomb Endgame turned out being. Utterly shameful performance. I'll be surprised if we get any more Marvel movies at this point. Just shit really, fucking shit.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
The fun thing is that is impossible that another movie makes the #2 spot now. It either destroys both Avatar and Avengers, or fail below them. It's just impossible that a movie will sit in between the two

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So does Endgame's original run still have a chance to top Avatar's original run?

Maybe? Apparently Avengers is only about $90m off Avatar now and it made about $16m last week. Avatar was at the cinema for 34 weeks, from December until August, and Avengers is only on its sixth week. If Avengers sticks around for another month, it could get enough of a bump from Spiderman to push it over.

Status
Not open for further replies.