Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
IGN Hands on Preview

It's cliche at this point to say that making games is hard. Of course it's hard. It's in many ways even harder to make a game entirely by yourself. But you know what's really hard? Maintaining your focus and passion on one project for years at a time.

As I've said countless times before, Axiom Verge is both my hobby and my job. It puts food on the table and keeps a roof over our heads. But I'm lucky that it's also what I would be doing even if I wasn't making a living from it. For that to be true, and to stay true, I've got to push the boundaries of what I'm creating. It would be hard for me to maintain my passion for game development if I were just creating a new map layout and new weapons for Axiom Verge and calling it a sequel.
So I decided to push myself and try something ambitious. I've talked a little in the past about some of the technical challenges of making Axiom Verge 2, particularly the earth-like sloping terrain and the intelligent enemies, but I've never revealed the biggest challenge and most distinctive feature of Axiom Verge 2…until now.

Here's the big reveal: Axiom Verge 2 is two worlds in one. Behind the overworld map that I've been showing this entire time, there is another interconnected breach world in an alternate dimension. I've hinted about this in an early trailer, where the drone goes through some mysterious portal, but I've kept this secret for a while.
In Axiom Verge 2, you'll have the ability to enter and exit the breach and discover how that world is connected to the overworld. There will be secrets you can only find in the breach as well as places in the overworld that can only be reached via a path going through the breach—and vice versa.

At a glance, you can see that the breach area looks very different from the overworld:
The breach, being of alien origin, shares a bit more in common with Sudra than the earth. It has blockier tiles and a completely different look. The enemies are more organic than robotic, but all the while completely alien. In some ways, it is two games in one.

Making two games in one is challenging enough, but it's really the interaction of the two worlds that makes it into a cohesive whole. If they were just two separate art styles, where some rooms were in the breach style and others were in the overworld style, that's not particularly interesting. What is interesting, to me at least, is using one to explore the other.

For each location in the breach, there is a corresponding point in the overworld. The entrance and exit points for the breach and the overworld had to be carefully aligned to make sure players wouldn't get trapped and so that you could reach everywhere you wanted to go. Working out the map system for this literally added an extra dimension to the game's design.
https://blog.playstation.com/2021/08/05/how-axiom-verge-2-shakes-up-the-formula/

Last edited:

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the first game, and although I'm looking forward to this game, something about the color scheme is throwing me off.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
What's up with Sony dropping the flood of indie trailers this morning? It's cool but it just seems kinda random.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all about dark world mechanics in metroidvanias

Jul 26, 2018
It looks worse aestheticslly than the first. Also moving away from the gunplay for more melee focus? Hope it all works out

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Is the first game cross buy between PS4 and Vita? I'm thinking of buying it later tonight, it's on sale for ~ £5.50.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hell yes, so this is basically Axiom Verge 2: Echoes.

Really interesting that there still is no final release date. Hope it still makes it out by the end of this year!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
AV was a weird great little game. Can't wait to see what the sequel brings.

It looks worse aestheticslly than the first. Also moving away from the gunplay for more melee focus? Hope it all works out

It looks incredibly similar to the first in many moments in that trailer. Not too mention the gunplay of the orginal wasn't exactly much to write home about. Hopefully the sequel will improve on the issues of the first.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Might need to play 1 some more...I couldn't really get into it. This or Shovel Knight.

I think imma play some today.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
OK, this looks so cool that I just bought the first one.
How hard is it?

It can be pretty tough in the early game since enemies do a fairly decent amount of damage and health refills aren't super prominent. But it gets better as you start getting more health/weapons/etc. It's also very much in the vein of Super Metroid where there are no way points, you just have to remember certain places that you couldn't access once you get new abilities.

I personally really enjoyed it because it's the most "Metroid-y" metroidvania out there. If you're into that then you'll have a good time.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
It looks neat, I hope the ambition of this doesn't overshadow fixing what I felt were the first game's major issues - that a lot of rooms weren't very memorable (I feel like when you play Super Metroid, every time you backtrack you're like "yeah, I remember this area", whereas AV didn't give me that feeling at all. It was just like... there's a shaft here because that's what's in a Metroid game), and that a lot of the late game combat was extremely aggravating with enemies that can move omnidirectionally and shoot at any angle, but you are limited to shooting 8 directions.

Jul 27, 2020
Legit finally excited about this, the lackluster previews eallier are a bit bland impression. Hype now, apparently update files are stored of the game on Switch's online..so, im thinking late Sept.

AtlasRyker

Jun 21, 2021
I did the 100% back on Switch, this time I'll do it on ps5.

Can't wait for it, first game was an awesome game.

Last edited:

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
This just reads like PC exclusive to EGS (i.e. not on Steam, not on GoG, not on MS Store) like every other EGS exclusive. That doesn't mean it won't also release on Switch (or other consoles) at the same time.

well see Thomas happ the developer said he was able to finish the game because epic's money and that's why the game was going there first.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I see

As someone mentioned the color scheme looks super flat. Muted even. I liked the Crimson world in the first. This kinda all looks washed out
i can see that in some of the (presumably)"real-world" levels. But there's also what looks to be more vivid "breach" settings and locations similar to the first game's. Looks to be branching out compared to what came before.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
well see Thomas happ the developer said he was able to finish the game because epic's money and that's why the game was going there first.
Yes, EGS pays devs/pubs money to not put games on Steam. That has never affected games releasing on consoles in any way. It will come to Steam a year later. That's what he means by first.

Jan 11, 2018
wasnt this coming first to switch?

That's what I thought as well, which makes sense that no release date was announced here.

It looks neat, I hope the ambition of this doesn't overshadow fixing what I felt were the first game's major issues - that a lot of rooms weren't very memorable (I feel like when you play Super Metroid, every time you backtrack you're like "yeah, I remember this area", whereas AV didn't give me that feeling at all. It was just like... there's a shaft here because that's what's in a Metroid game), and that a lot of the late game combat was extremely aggravating with enemies that can move omnidirectionally and shoot at any angle, but you are limited to shooting 8 directions.

The last two areas were so bad compared to the rest of the game. Just straight up bad level design. And then it culminated in that awful final boss fight. I really like the game up to that point though.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so goddamn excited for this game.

After going back through the first one recently, I remembered how great the lore of the universe is. Can't wait to further explore it.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
The last two areas were so bad compared to the rest of the game. Just straight up bad level design. And then it culminated in that awful final boss fight. I really like the game up to that point though.
Yeah, I really soured on it around the end of Edin with the hornet boss. Felt like the game kind of nosedived there.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think it looks goddamn fantastic. I don't see any issue with the art style. It's kind of weird to compare it negatively to the first game too, because it's not like that game was flawless in the art department either. Some areas looked generic. The sequel looks more vibrant and alive to me, from what we've seen so far.