OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
They're not essential but definitely help in some cases. Personally I don't consider having/not having them as such a big deal. L3/R3, while not ideal, are sufficient most of the time.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I've bought my first controller with back paddles, an 8bit do Ultimate, and, honestly, I'm not sold on them yet.

I'm not sure it is an issue with this controller in particular, but I often find myself pressing one of the paddles by accident during gameplay, and holding the controller without pressing them becomes a bit cumbersome/uncomfortable.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure it is an issue with this controller in particular, but I often find myself pressing one of the paddles by accident during gameplay, and holding the controller without pressing them becomes a bit cumbersome/uncomfortable.

This. I love them in theory but i've yet to find an execution where these things don't happen for me, tried several.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I was calling for this even before the PS5 and XSX came out. Sadly I don't think it's ever gonna happen. They'll market controllers with backpedals as Pro or Elite controllers to earn an extra buck.

Nov 4, 2022
I really don't like having them, never found a use for them and am constantly pressing them by mistake. That said, if you could add them as an option to a modular controller, that would keep everyone happy.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm really glad they're not cause they're the most uncomfortable design idea ever

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
They should 100% be included for accessibility reasons.

I can't go back since i tried them for the first time.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP. After having the back button on my PS4 I was devastated the Dualsense didn't have them. I like them so much I bought a Dualsense Edge and an Xbox Elite 2 because you get so used to them it's hard to go back.

kxs

Jul 25, 2022
The home video game console still equates to a big box under a Christmas tree for pretty small kids. They don't have the physical ability to hit the back buttons yet. So purely from a sales perspective, the back buttons on a default controller that comes with the device in the box, I don't expect them to have it. But what I would love to see is that all console producers offer a premium, professional controller alongside the console itself from day one. Those that want that, should get it as soon as possible.

This is not true at all. Consoles haven't been primarily for kids since the early 1990s. It's gotten to a point where PlayStation and Xbox consoles don't even appeal to kids. Which is resulting in a decline in sales.

Controllers have gotten larger over time. The Dualshock 4, Dualsense and Xbox controllers are too large for most children.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Casual gamers will hate this. Gaming is already too complicated for them if it isn't simple or touch screen.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Dualsense Edge and I won't usually use them. Mainly because I will accidentally hit the buttons so fucking often.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Back paddles should be unique buttons and not just duplicates of existing ones.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Controllers are too intimidating as it is; real innovation needs to happen, not shoving two buttons under every digit.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Never really cared for back paddles until I got my steam deck, now I fully understand why having those really is the next evolution for a controller.

What I would really want in next gen is full button remapping though.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I was the only one who bought the PS4 back paddle attachment as Sony didn't bring it back for the PS5 :(

Can recommend the eXtremeRate paddle modkit!

Oct 26, 2017
Why stop at one? Why not have five buttons on the underside? Why not have a huge button you can bonk with your forehead? Or floor paddles, that's ten extra buttons for your feet. Oh, twelve if you add a heel button.

Surely this will allow game companies to make the perfect game that will triple the market.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I have a dual sense edge and I have L3 and R3 attached to it but I still press L3 and R3 out of habit which I can't break.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Back buttons are ok, but I rarely find a use for them, and would rather just hold the controller instead of hitting them.

Hall Effect Sticks, absolutely.

ChocoBuddy

Banned
Apr 9, 2024
I think so too. There's a lot of times for me where a game runs out of face buttons and put important actions on like the d-pad and it's not optimal.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I don't use them on the back of the Steam Deck, but I guess I haven't really understood how they can be beneficial. What do you guys map to the back buttons usually? Can someone give an example of a game and usage?

HououinK

Dec 17, 2023
Mandatory? No.
Optional, sure whatever.

First thing I did when I got my elites was remove them. They're so distracting and annoying
I think the type of paddles on the Elite are trash. Scuf makes paddles for the Elite Series 2 that are much better.

The dome paddles on the Dualsense Edge are great, and I remember the paddles on actual scuf controllers being good.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Yes, the more the better.

I stopped playing games where you often have to push the sticks in (R3/L3).
It's far too hard to push them and if done too often it always leads to pain and inflammation in my thumbs (sucks to get old).

HououinK

Dec 17, 2023
I don't use them on the back of the Steam Deck, but I guess I haven't really understood how they can be beneficial. What do you guys map to the back buttons usually? Can someone give an example of a game and usage?
Not Steam Deck, but on my Dualsense Edge I have 3 profiles set up for FPS, Action, and Stellar Blade. FPS is just jump and crouch. Action is usually jump and Dodge/roll, and my stellar blade setup is dodge and whatever the L1/Block action is called.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Who owns the patent for this? Scuf or Corsair?
Scuf (has Corsair ever made a controller?).

They sued Valve and got a $4 million verdict over it. They actually lost a shitload if related patents on their site:

scufgaming.com

SCUF Patents | Controller Patent Innovations

Customize your SCUF® controller & game like the elite on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC & legacy consoles. Take your gaming to another level with SCUF® controllers!

edit: ah I see, scuf is a corsair subsidiary. Anyway Scuf seems to own the patents.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Back paddles are a godsend for shooters and fighting games especially. For shooters, sprinting, scoping, and crouching not being on L3/R3 is great. And fighters, being able to map button combinations (I.e., 1+2 or MP+MK) to a single button means you can react more quickly and consistently.

Controllers are too intimidating as it is; real innovation needs to happen, not shoving two buttons under every digit.

Innovation did happen with the Wii, but core gamers largely rejected it. Still, the idea lives on in VR and on the Switch.

some kind of neural interface will probably be the next innovation.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Having just played through the entire Soulsborne franchise this past year for the first time, I'll go as far as to say that back paddles are essential. My Demon's Souls crab claw just will not do any more.

8bitdo Pro 2 is the GOAT as always.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Not Steam Deck, but on my Dualsense Edge I have 3 profiles set up for FPS, Action, and Stellar Blade. FPS is just jump and crouch. Action is usually jump and Dodge/roll, and my stellar blade setup is dodge and whatever the L1/Block action is called.

Thanks for answering. Seems ok. Maybe it's just the Steam Deck that has its buttons too inaccessible. Paddles might be better for this sort of thing. Nevertheless, I'll try mapping one of them to dodge in like Dark Souls or something and see how it goes.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully the standard PS6 controller will feature the half dome back buttons. Also they need their own dedicated button mappings that games can make use of.

The half dome buttons are comfortable to use, and they don't feel in the way when holding the controller like normal.

support-edge-attach-half-dome-bb-28nov22$en

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what advantages mandatory back paddles would offer back paddle fans over them just buying controllers with back paddles if they like them
I think the desire for mandatory at default comes from the issues of the current situation. Specifically that often no or very few paddle options are available at launch of a new console. Also having to rely on 3rd party companies to release them means both a hit and miss in build quality and feel, and higher prices. Even when it comes to the official releases, they often come as part of a deluxe package and not everyone who wants paddles needs all the bells and whistles that come with say the Elite that makes that controller so much more expensive than the standard one.

I personally don't think they necessarily need to be standard to every controller, but it would be nice if 1st parties released a version of the regular controller where the only extra was back buttons and did so at launch.

No.

Hall effect sticks should be instead.
WhyNotBoth?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Dont understand why anyone would be against it.

The biggest flaw of controllers is removing your thumb off the right stick to stop and perform an action

Paddles solve this and makes the entire experience smoother

Also if kids can learn how to use the right stick to navigate 3D environments, they can learn to press a button on the back of the controller. Its not hard or any more complex

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
I hate these buttons and the last thing I want is for use of them to become mandatory. They're awkward to press on purpose but easy to hit on accident. We have enough buttons already; if you absolutely need to add more, something like the PS4/5 touchpad is a better option. Playing Stellar Blade I've found the way it uses the touch pad for three inouts (press, swipe up, and swipe down) to be pretty nice.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
For most games they're pretty much a must for me now and it annoys me if I don't have them.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Why stop at one? Why not have five buttons on the underside? Why not have a huge button you can bonk with your forehead? Or floor paddles, that's ten extra buttons for your feet. Oh, twelve if you add a heel button.

Surely this will allow game companies to make the perfect game that will triple the market.
yeah why would you settle for like 2 or 4 extra? this is clearly superior it just has a bit of a learning curve
1339520-alpha1.jpg
1339521-alpha2.jpg

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Back paddles should absolutely be there, but the default should be that they're just an extra way to push an existing button, and you opt-in to having them be unique buttons.

Give people a generation to get used to them before considering making them a unique button by default.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Amen. Gamepads are so damn inout-starved that whenever i play a port to PC the buttons have way too many actions mapped to them and you're still in scroll-city sooner or later, see invenfory in Souls games or HZD and HFW. Hence all the "hold button" stuff, too.

Also nothing could possibly be more alienating than dualstick camera + aiming controls and the awkward claw grip and such.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely LOVE paddles on controllers, and found myself liking games with them that I didnt' expect. Like, of course, for FPS, but Souls games are great with them. Especially if you set L3/LS as jump and map that to your usual "jump" paddle.

I don't think they should be "mandatory" or standard next gen, or ANY gen, though. I know a lot of people just don't like them and WILL NOT use them.

It would undoubtedly raise the price, and I can't imagine that there will ever be a time (except like right after launch) that controllers WITH paddles won't be available to buy.

That said, if they somehow DID became "mandatory," I'd hope they make them have 4 paddles. I love my Dualsense Edge, but after getting used to the layout of the 4 on an elite, it just makes me wish there were 4 on it whenever I use it.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
Steam Deck made me realize I never want a controller or handheld without back buttons/paddles ever again.
The back paddles on the steam deck are terrible. It's not representative of good back paddles in the least.

That being said, I don't think back paddles need to be mandatory. There are plenty of third party options and first party options to suit the market.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Better build quality should be mandatory for next gen controllers.
This should be a higher priority than back paddles. And I don't think back paddles should be mandatory. It constricts innovation in controller designs if we wanted to make tiny versions of the controller (like, how do we make back paddles on sideways Nintendo Joycons for tabletop experiences?).

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but outside of a Pro bundle, I doubt it will happen. Even then, those of us in the market for those consoles are also likely to get a controller anyway.

I have no problem buying them on their own. Been using controllers with back paddles for almost a decade now. Currently using the DualSense Edge and Elite 2 for PS5 and PC, but I've also had multiple Scuf controllers for the PS4 and Series X.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
Bring back the black/white extra face buttons from the OG Xbox controller first

2560px-Xbox-s-controller.jpg

rsfour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
6 face, 4 removable back paddles. Hall sticks, swappable like the elite.

Fuck L3/R3.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Agree, but they also should ONLY be used for custom remapping. I wouldn't want games to just be adding 2-4 extra actions.