Oct 27, 2017
Yes, exactly. That's why I highlighted the things I enjoyed in my review as well as explained that if you don't appreciate these aspects then the game might not be for you. I also highlighted the aspects that I didn't enjoy which people ignore because I gave it a high score. The text is far more important than the score and if you read the text of my review, I make good cases for why I loved it, why people may not like it, and the aspects that I didn't enjoy. Therefore, it surprises me how much hate has been directed towards me since I published my review.

To be honest, I never played the demo. I avoid playing demos so I can experience the final product. With that being said, judging a game by its demo alone seems like a silly notion to me, especially when the full game is different whether it be in a minor or major way.

Just wanted to add that this concept adds to 2 problems that plague game reviews in general:
1 - It makes reviewers strive to score games according to some arbitrary consensus instead of providing their own unique perspective thus contributing to a perpetual echo chamber.
2 - It makes reviewers lazy because if your score falls in line then you don't have to try as hard to justify your review.

In other words, having a unique opinion or outlier review shouldn't result in an uphill battle. It should be admired that someone has the tenacity to occasionally disagree with the consensus. It's a good thing to provide diversity of thought. Not just with video games but with all things.
Thats the literal point of a demo tho ,to demonstate what the game can do and if youd like it. If the demo turns people off thats the fault o the demo ,not the person. Gming is a costly hobby and im not gonna risk sinking 60 dollars into a game that "may or may not" be better than the demo. Demos are liteally made to be judged and encourage you to spend money on the full product. Its working as intended

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Thats the literal point of a demo tho ,to demonstate what the game can do and if youd like it. If the demo turns people off thats the fault o the demo ,not the person. Gming is a costly hobby and im not gonna risk sinking 60 dollars into a game that "may or may not" be better than the demo. Demos are liteally made to be judged and encourage you to spend money on the full product. Its working as intended
Oh, I was referring to game reviewers doing that. I review games for a living so that's why I don't play demos. I try to avoid anything that clouds my judgment such as (and especially) looking at other reviews before publishing my own.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
IGN US review by Tom Marks is up - "What a blunder."

Balan Wonderworld isn't always an awful platformer, but it is a consistently boring one. It's full of charming character designs and the occasional hint of a clever idea, but its insistence on being a one-button game with dozens of needlessly overlapping abilities that are thrown aside just as fast as they are introduced rots it to the core. It's a mess of undercooked concepts and clunky mechanics that slow it to a crawl, and it seems to take inspiration from better games without properly recapturing what actually makes them fun. Its platforming never evolves beyond the most basic possible obstacles it can throw at you, but it's the fundamentally flawed choices behind that mediocrity that take Balan Wonderworld from unamusing to outright bad.

Score: 4/10

---

Opencritic - 52 "Weak", 27 reviews, 11% of critics recommend
Metacritic:
PS5 - 58 "Mixed and/or average", 13 reviews
PC - 46 "Generally unfavorable", 4 reviews
Switch - 27 "Generally unfavorable," 4 reviews
-
PS4 - Pending (3 reviews)
Xbox Series X - Pending (3 reviews)
Xbox One (No reviews)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I was referring to game reviewers doing that. I review games for a living so that's why I don't play demos. I try to avoid anything that clouds my judgment such as (and especially) looking at other reviews before publishing my own.
Ahhh ok ,that makes sense

IGN US review by Tom Marks is up - "What a blunder."

---

Opencritic - 52 "Weak", 27 reviews, 11% of critics recommend
Metacritic:
PS5 - 58 "Mixed and/or average", 13 reviews
-
PS4 - Pending (3 reviews)
Xbox Series X - Pending (3 reviews)
Xbox One (No reviews)

Dang the 4th worse rated switch game of all time

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching more and more gameplay of this game and it really does stink that it plays so badly.

Really cute aesthetic.
A well-done and unique soundtrack.
Gorgeous CGI cutscenes.
And the actual concept between how it plays is interesting!

But after playing the demo, it's apparent they they did a terrible job with the execution.

Honestly such a shame, this definitely like the most high-budget project out of all of Naka's post-SEGA endeavors, and it's upsetting that this is what happened to be the end result.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Metro GameCentral review: "NiGHTS into Nightmares"

There're some decent ideas at the heart of Balan Wonderworld, and the 3D platformer is absolutely a genre we need to see more of, but this really isn't a very good game. There's lots of content but too much of it feels like filler, from the large number of pointless costumes to the irritating QTE sequences with Balan, that the game forces you to compete on an increasingly regular basis.

Balan Wonderworld is a welcome reminder of how 3D games used to be, but in the sense that you'll come out the other end thankful for how much things have improved over the decades. Balan Wonderworld isn't awful but rather than proving that the old ways still have merit it only makes the case for leaving the past alone.

Score: 4/10

Eurogamer review by Martin Robinson: "[A]n archaic throwback as clumsy as it is enjoyable"

And yet for all that, I kind of adore Balan Wonderworld, to a degree that's surprised me. Maybe it's just come along at the right time, when I needed a colourful comfort blanket of a thing, a nostalgia strip as strange and insubstantial as watching a YouTube compilation of 90s TV adverts. Maybe it's because my expectations were low - Sonic Adventure has always been the game where the scales fell away from my eyes when it comes to Sega's mascot, and to Sonic Team, and I can't say I've ever enjoyed too much of the series since.

Or maybe it's just because this is how games used to be, and sometimes it's comforting to slip into a 90s netherworld, and back into the old ways. When games were often clunky, unexplained, awkward and often downright frustrating. Balan Wonderworld is all those things, an almost too exacting facsimile of a type of second tier 90s platformer that never quite achieved greatness, even if it's fascinating all the same.

---

Opencritic - 50 "Weak", 33 reviews, 12% of critics recommend

Metacritic:
PS5 - 56 "Mixed and/or average", 15 reviews
PS4 - 46 "Generally unfavorable", 7 reviews
Xbox Series X - 40 "Generally unfavorable", 4 reviews
-
Xbox One (No reviews)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Opencritic - 50 "Weak", 33 reviews, 12% of critics recommend

Metacritic:
PS5 - 56 "Mixed and/or average", 15 reviews
PS4 - 46 "Generally unfavorable", 7 reviews
Xbox Series X - 40 "Generally unfavorable", 4 reviews
-
Xbox One (No reviews)

On the video game rating scale, where a game starts at 40/100 just for showing up, these scores may as well be zeroes.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Jeff's quick look of this, and I am unironically interested now. I'll pick it up on sale some time later. It doesn't seem as offensively bad as some of the reviews had me believe. Very nostalgic in its aesthetic and sensibilities, which I'm open to. The pricing opens it up to comparison against other platformers, but it seems like it's going for more of a toy box thing than slick platforming action?

I think I've gotten to a point where I'd rather play something different that's flawed than something that's undeniably good but in a mold that I've already played a lot of. Or maybe I want to recapture that feeling of being frustrated with a bad playing platformer like Sonic Adventure. The good old times.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing job
aAElCt8.png

I really don't get why squeenix gave this guy the time of day

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Do they give a reason for why characters just disappear once you get close to them? It just makes the game look incredibly broken to me.

It's a weird dreamlike world with lots of impossible geometry, the characters being intangible is just supposed to add to the strange atmosphere.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird dreamlike world with lots of impossible geometry, the characters being intangible is just supposed to add to the strange atmosphere.
Pretty much. Either the jank and weird design and aesthetic decisions are greater than the sum of their parts for you or they aren't. In either case, it's not like it all fits together and makes sense, just a matter of whether you can roll with it or not.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
so...is the sonic genesis trilogy and nights just a 'lightning in the bottle' moment for yuji naka and overall he's just not that 'good' as game designer and producer?

i can't believe i'm excited about this when it's first announced, being a big nights fan myself (look at my fucking avatar, man).

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Whoever the hell Video Chums is, they have no idea how to review games. No way in hell should that game be $60, and their review is biased as hell.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
so...is the sonic genesis trilogy and nights just a 'lightning in the bottle' moment for yuji naka and overall he's just not that 'good' as game designer and producer?

i can't believe i'm excited about this when it's first announced, being a big nights fan myself (look at my fucking avatar, man).
Is Nights even considered as good as the Sonic games? I always thought it's perceived as an average game that just has a certain fanbase.

Morrdji

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 16, 2021

Was thinking the same. SEGA got it wrong putting him as a designer or producer for the franchise. Though PSO is a masterpiece. It's the odd one with the masterclass gamedesign. The other projects are all average at best, even burning rangers.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
Whoever the hell Video Chums is, they have no idea how to review games. No way in hell should that game be $60, and their review is biased as hell.

If I'm not mistaken, the review is from someone from Era. I don't know who exactly, but you might find them if you search this thread or the OT for the game. That way, maybe they could explain to you in full why they love BW, although I think they already made a post like that.

JayCeeJim

Jan 3, 2019
Was thinking the same. SEGA got it wrong putting him as a designer or producer for the franchise. Though PSO is a masterpiece. It's the odd one with perfect gamedesign. The other projects are all average at best, even burning rangers.

Yuji Naka apparently was a genius programmer, able to make a very complex physics engine for Sonic on the Mega Drive, or 3D mazes for Phantasy Star on the Master System. The engine of Nights for the Saturn is apparently really good too. There are reports that he even made a NES emulator for the Megadrive for amusement.

He probably should have stayed in that tech profile, like a John Carmack of sorts. And not try to become a game designer.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Jeff's quick look of this, and I am unironically interested now. I'll pick it up on sale some time later. It doesn't seem as offensively bad as some of the reviews had me believe. Very nostalgic in its aesthetic and sensibilities, which I'm open to. The pricing opens it up to comparison against other platformers, but it seems like it's going for more of a toy box thing than slick platforming action?

I think I've gotten to a point where I'd rather play something different that's flawed than something that's undeniably good but in a mold that I've already played a lot of. Or maybe I want to recapture that feeling of being frustrated with a bad playing platformer like Sonic Adventure. The good old times.

"More of a toy box thing than slick platforming action" is a good way of describing it. This is not the kind of game where reaching the end of the stage is the goal or remotely challenging to do, the point is to roam around to find all the statues and see just how many secrets are stuffed into each level. This Retronauts piece gets it:

Here's what I get from Balan. Absolute sincerity. Painful sincerity. This feels like the absolute warts-and-all vision of its very, very divisive creator. It feels like a platform adventure made for people who love to explore and push against the limits of what they can do. Despite its somewhat "kiddy" look (hack, spit, what an awful criticism), it's actually quite surprising how hands-off the game is. Gameplay is based around acquiring costumes which grant new effects, but the game doesn't really tell you how to use them or what they do. The controls are always simple but it's the application of the different powers that's kept esoteric.

It's also got that kind of exploration that really works for me, where you feel like you're breaking the game a bit when you're actually not. Powers can be used to climb bits of scenery that seem like they maybe shouldn't be climbable, only to find this was anticipated and you're rewarded with a Balan Statue. I'm pretty good at platformers, I think. At the very least competent at them. And I rinsed out the first levels of Balan Wonderworld expecting an easy ride, only to find I'd missed four of the eight Balan Statues in Stage One – which is absolutely tiny.

Most of the discourse about this game just reads like people who didn't actually play the full game or bother to engage with it beyond the most basic level tripping over themselves to see who can make the most exaggerated statement about its quality.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

He's a programmer, not a creator.

I don't get why he was considered the Shigeru Miyamoto of Sonic/SEGA.

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Most of the discourse about this game just reads like people who didn't actually play the full game or bother to engage with it beyond the most basic level tripping over themselves to see who can make the most exaggerated statement about its quality.
Just wanted to thank you for this comment and I agree 100%! I got criticised for calling this mass reaction a "hate bandwagon" but I think your description is far more accurate. It's like everyone's trying their best to be all AVGN about it without actually playing it properly.
they have no idea how to review games
Sorry, forgot to read the manual.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Just wanted to thank you for this comment and I agree 100%! I got criticised for calling this mass reaction a "hate bandwagon" but I think your description is far more accurate. It's like everyone's trying their best to be all AVGN about it without actually playing it properly.

Sorry, forgot to read the manual.
Most sites don't and it's telling. Is this your review? Why the hell do you think this is worth $60? Did you get a review code or did you actually pay money for this?

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, the review is from someone from Era. I don't know who exactly, but you might find them if you search this thread or the OT for the game. That way, maybe they could explain to you in full why they love BW, although I think they already made a post like that.
Think they found me, waiting for their response.

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Most sites don't and it's telling.
Just to be clear, I was sarcastically referring to the non-existent manual for reviewing games but don't worry, I dusted off my imaginary copy and re-read chapter 8, paragraph 12:

"If you enjoy a game that no one else seems to like, make sure to not give it a good score. The consensus is always correct and you are wrong for feeling otherwise."

Kidding aside, everyone's entitled to their opinion. I respect people for not liking the game and it's not too much to ask for the same but the other way around.
waiting for their response
With all due respect, I don't feel like repeating myself - go back a page or 2 in this thread. Also, my comments on the actual review might prove insightful.

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, the reviewer is from someone from Era. I don't know who exactly, but you might find them if you search this thread or the OT for the game. That way, maybe they could explain to you in full why they love BW, although I think they already made a post like that.
Most sites don't and it's telling. Is this your review? Why the hell do you think this is worth $60? Did you get a review code or did you actually pay money for this?

A.J. from VC made a couple posts about it on the last page of this thread: one / two / three / four.

I actually bought the game after reading those posts, figuring I'd also like the art, atmosphere, mood and aesthetic, and so far I'm glad I did.

GLXQPxL.jpg

Really charming (after going through the first four worlds) in a "repairing the soul" kind of way.

Moreso than Origami King was for me, personally (bought that one two weeks ago), but I guess that's just me, clearly my tastes are pretty weird. And as was said earlier:

Pretty much. Either the jank and weird design and aesthetic decisions are greater than the sum of their parts for you or they aren't. In either case, it's not like it all fits together and makes sense, just a matter of whether you can roll with it or not.

I'd say if you don't find the game appealing or interesting from videos, then it's probably not for you, and/or the price is definitely too high at the moment.

I'll also say that first world is maybe a bit less appealing than the the other three I've played so far, so for anyone who is still mildly curious (despite the disastrous reviews), I would maybe check out some videos of the subsequent stages.

[...] However, the reason why I enjoyed its gameplay as much as I did is because I played it more like a puzzle game where you're restricted in your move set and have to manage your costumes and utilize them cleverly in order to progress and doing so methodically was very satisfying to me. There are many acclaimed games which restrict you in clever ways that could easily be chalked up to as poor game design if you go in with misaligned expectations and I honestly think that if everyone who played Balan expected it to be a puzzle-like game instead of a collect-a-thon 3D platformer, opinions of it would be much more positive.
I watched Jeff's quick look of this, and I am unironically interested now. I'll pick it up on sale some time later. It doesn't seem as offensively bad as some of the reviews had me believe. Very nostalgic in its aesthetic and sensibilities, which I'm open to. [...]
"More of a toy box thing than slick platforming action" is a good way of describing it. This is not the kind of game where reaching the end of the stage is the goal or remotely challenging to do, the point is to roam around to find all the statues and see just how many secrets are stuffed into each level. This Retronauts piece gets it [...]

The gameplay so far seems competent. While I'm a fan of more mechanically-complex platformers like Cloudbuilt as well, the "one-button gameplay" works well enough in tandem with constant use of the shoulder buttons to cycle through costumes/abilities, as in weapon switching in an FPS. So technically, it's three-button gameplay (one face button, plus the shoulder buttons).

The problem/challenge is that you can only store three costumes/abilities at a time, so it's as if you only have three "weapons" and have to constantly go to your "safe room" to do inventory management (you go to checkpoints within the level to switch costumes).

I recall that ReCore (another much-maligned platformer that I personally enjoyed a lot: one / two) also got hit pretty hard in reviews for imposing this type of inventory management (could only carry a limited set of corebots, which was indeed quite frustrating), but Balan is perhaps slightly less burdensome in this particular regard, as the checkpoints are frequent within each level.

Oct 31, 2017
"More of a toy box thing than slick platforming action" is a good way of describing it. This is not the kind of game where reaching the end of the stage is the goal or remotely challenging to do, the point is to roam around to find all the statues and see just how many secrets are stuffed into each level. This Retronauts piece gets it:

Or: it's really bad?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, this kind of stuff comes up when someone enjoys a bad game. It's ok to enjoy bad games. You can like whatever you want. There isn't a conspiracy to review this game and end Yuji Naka's career, though, so just accept that most folks don't like it because that's the simplest reason it's not reviewing well.
If there was a conspiracy to end Naka's career, they would have pounced on him when he made Wii games a decade ago.
And we're supposed to believe that reviewers ALL OVER THE WORLD who got the game at around the same time are part of a conspiracy to shit on the game?
The stakes are even lower than goddamn flat earth and the logistic required is stupidly high too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Camjo-Z is suggesting there is some kind of conspiracy to devalue an actually good game, rather that Balan Wonderworld isn't as good as it could have been and now it's at the point where the only reason anyone wants to talk about it is throw some hilarious hot take around as if it were execrably bad instead of merely bad enough that no one other than the kind of player it was always going to appeal towards would pay it any mind.

Which is to say that media discussion involves a lot of hyperbole where games get split into GOAT or trash camps with nothing in between.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't think Camjo-Z is suggesting there is some kind of conspiracy to devalue an actually good game, rather that Balan Wonderworld isn't as good as it could have been and now it's at the point where the only reason anyone wants to talk about it is throw some hilarious hot take around as if it were execrably bad instead of merely bad enough that no one other than the kind of player it was always going to appeal towards would pay it any mind.

Which is to say that media discussion involves a lot of hyperbole where games get split into GOAT or trash camps with nothing in between.
That's what happens to games that have expectations around them.
If it ended being merely competent, I think it would be looked more favorably.
Think Shenmue 3, we waited a very long time for this and this is the end result.
It's not Sonic 06 but you can't fault people for being massively disappointed and expecting more from the team involved.

Oct 31, 2017

What if I actually think it's one of the worst games I've ever played?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what happens to games that have expectations around them.
If it ended being merely competent, I think it would be looked more favorably.
Think Shenmue 3, we waited a very long time for this and this is the end result.
It's not Sonic 06 but you can't fault people for being massively disappointed and expecting more from the team involved.

I completely understand that, even if my interest in Balan Wonderworld peaked with exactly the first trailer and went downhill since. Were I to play it now I'd probably come away with a decent enough time since my expectations are so low, but like Yooka-Laylee or Mighty No. 9, Balan Wonderworld had expectations that it would be a throwback to an era you already liked, only it ended up being a mess.

What if I actually think it's one of the worst games I've ever played?

You're talking to someone who takes perverse glee in dunking on really popular games so I dunno. I don't play enough bad games to be able to tell what makes one actively bad anymore.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I completely understand that, even if my interest in Balan Wonderworld peaked with exactly the first trailer and went downhill since. Were I to play it now I'd probably come away with a decent enough time since my expectations are so low, but like Yooka-Laylee or Mighty No. 9, Balan Wonderworld had expectations that it would be a throwback to an era you already liked, only it ended up being a mess.
I don't mind bad games or even disappointing games.
Again, Romancing SaGa on ps2 is the best game of its generation. I thought so in 2006 and that hasn't changed.
I'll tell you that it didn't review well AT ALL but to go into the conspiracy BS of people unfairly bagging on the game is a step too far.
For better or for worse, Balan wasn't kickstarted so you don't have a legion of angry people wanting to get their money worth.

I know that when I tried the demo (on Switch to boot), it wasn't good but the most damning part is that it wasn't interesting, not even in a so bad it's good. And to release that a few months after Bowser's Fury and so close to Crash 4 is even more damning.
Like seriously to someone who has 1 of the platform Balan is releasing on, is there a good reason to consider the game versus the onslaught of games out there?

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. I've mentioned this game's issues multiple times and said even I would give it a 6-7 at best, so I don't know why anyone would think I'm claiming there's a conspiracy to end Yuji Naka's career. But when this very thread needed a mod post 5 pages in after it got derailed with Jak 2 discussion to be funny because "the game's so bad no one wants to talk about it!", you can't tell me some people aren't being performative with their disappointment.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Wonder if this will kill Arzest for good. I don't think they've ever made a success.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
Unless we're talking about extremely young kids; like, Teletubbies-age kids, I'm not sure I agree. Yes, kids will absolutely eat up garbage, but that doesn't mean they should be served it. I'm firmly of the belief that the best content for kids, be it television, books, movies or games, can be looked at by an adult and found to be quality.

And believe me, I'm no stranger to consuming content for kids as an adult; I was on-board the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic train for like half a decade.

I kinda was tbh, but not exclusively — sorry for the confusion.

But regardless, "adults don't like it" still doesn't mean "garbage". Playing through a Balan, there's a lot to like about it lol. Gameplay isn't even terrible. I think it's easily the worst part of the package, but even then, it's not garbage. It's just, idk, inoffensive?

fr lol — there's no way in hell this game is "Sonic '06" levels of bad. The game is functional, for one.

People are understandably disappointed. It definitely did not live up to the expectations that the advertising set for us.

But objectively, divorced from expectations (and yes, I understand games shouldn't necessarily be judged in a vacuum, especially with how this game was being marketed), the game is... fine. Not great, maybe not even good. But it's not offensive, or "garbage". Y'all need to pick up Sonic '06 again for a reminder of what that's
like.

This argument sucks when it shows up with animated movies because there are plenty of animated movies that appeal to kids whilst also not insult the intelligence of adults that are sitting with them as well, with stuff like Disney's Backlog, Pixar's Backlog, Studio Ghibli, Cartoon Saloon, etc. etc.
Not every piece of media has to go out its way to indulge adults if it's meant for kids.

Expecting every piece of children's media to also entertain adults sounds hella entitled tbh. Some stuff is for solely kids, and that's fine.

Plus, Disney, Pixar, and Ghibli are all hella high bars to set, anyway. I don't expect everything to be on that level. And as an aside, wasn't the Cars franchise, like, super successful?

It double sucks when you talk about video games and you compare it to stuff like Mario, Kirby and Animal Crossing.

Wait. What argument do you think I'm tryna make here lol. That Balan is on the same level as that stuff? Or?

So you are aiming to appeal for young kids. Sure, sure. We'll accept that. You can also keep adults entertained as well.

Yeah idk. Like this sounds super entitled to me sorry lol.

and let me stress, all the examples you gave are media that I love, and would totally let a kid consume.

But if they wanted to play Balan, like, what's the issue, exactly? That it's fun for them and not you???

I get it y'all. You don't like the game lol

Kids like better games than you give them credit for

sure they do! And some kids don't lol. Doesn't mean they're stupid or anything. And of course, it's also possible for someone to like a mix of super esteemed games and not-so-well-received games. iunno what the issue is

Lots of kids grew up with, say, crummy licensed games, for instance. Some of them are handily worse than Balan in terms of gameplay, art design, etc. And they still look back on them fondly, because they were kids and it was fun. Like, it's a thing that happens.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The game is shockingly bad. Like when I played the demo I was surprised by how bad it was. Not surprised by review scores

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
eh, was hoping that the patch would fix things a bit but this game seems like disaster from top to bottom

Rocketjay

Apr 30, 2018
Yep. I've mentioned this game's issues multiple times and said even I would give it a 6-7 at best, so I don't know why anyone would think I'm claiming there's a conspiracy to end Yuji Naka's career. But when this very thread needed a mod post 5 pages in after it got derailed with Jak 2 discussion to be funny because "the game's so bad no one wants to talk about it!", you can't tell me some people aren't being performative with their disappointment.
Well considering how at that time, there was nearly any reviews and the game didn't come out yet, I saw the thread de
I kinda was tbh, but not exclusively — sorry for the confusion.

But regardless, "adults don't like it" still doesn't mean "garbage". Playing through a Balan, there's a lot to like about it lol. Gameplay isn't even terrible. I think it's easily the worst part of the package, but even then, it's not garbage. It's just, idk, inoffensive?

fr lol — there's no way in hell this game is "Sonic '06" levels of bad. The game is functional, for one.

People are understandably disappointed. It definitely did not live up to the expectations that the advertising set for us.

But objectively, divorced from expectations (and yes, I understand games shouldn't necessarily be judged in a vacuum, especially with how this game was being marketed), the game is... fine. Not great, maybe not even good. But it's not offensive, or "garbage". Y'all need to pick up Sonic '06 again for a reminder of what that's
like.

Not every piece of media has to go out its way to indulge adults if it's meant for kids.

Expecting every piece of children's media to also entertain adults sounds hella entitled tbh. Some stuff is for solely kids, and that's fine.

Plus, Disney, Pixar, and Ghibli are all hella high bars to set, anyway. I don't expect everything to be on that level. And as an aside, wasn't the Cars franchise, like, super successful?

Wait. What argument do you think I'm tryna make here lol. That Balan is on the same level as that stuff? Or?

Yeah idk. Like this sounds super entitled to me sorry lol.

and let me stress, all the examples you gave are media that I love, and would totally let a kid consume.

But if they wanted to play Balan, like, what's the issue, exactly? That it's fun for them and not you???

I get it y'all. You don't like the game lol

sure they do! And some kids don't lol. Doesn't mean they're stupid or anything. And of course, it's also possible for someone to like a mix of super esteemed games and not-so-well-received games. iunno what the issue is

Lots of kids grew up with, say, crummy licensed games, for instance. Some of them are handily worse than Balan in terms of gameplay, art design, etc. And they still look back on them fondly, because they were kids and it was fun. Like, it's a thing that happens.
I agree with most of this. I do think that this game is just a mediocre platform game that feels like those other lackluster platform games in the ps2 era. It's not good, but defiantly not 06 bad.

But I won't defend this game being $60. Nobody in their right minds will buy it when it's at the same price as Super Mario Odyssey and Super Mario 3D World.
There are even cheaper games like Crash 4 and Spyro Trilogy.