• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's why you go for the anime portraits mod.

1560614640768.jpg
Lord, the market for BG2 alternative NPC portraits is poppin'.
d79rlx1-e8fbac85-31d9-4cef-a05e-d3861adabdeb.jpg

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
So can I just say these leaks basiaclly have me cemented in getting this game now.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Playing POE 2 Deadfire on hardest difficulty. Love Rtwp. Get to level 14 with good gear and full team of story companions. There's no strategy anymore. No managing my characters. No thinking. Just watching my toons mop up mobs. Yay RTWP.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Gut check. At first glance all I can see is Divinity 3. The UI is too similar.
Still looks badass of course.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The PC version of Dragon Age Origins is still the only isometric RPG I've ever played, but to me this looks like a souped-up version of that game, or perhaps the sequel it should have gotten.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Not fully voiced as the protagonist was mute. And we wouldn't be asking of them anything more than other AAA RPG already have.

I think when you make a jump to cinematic dialogue you should also have a fully voiced protagonist.
We've seen past RPGs hurt by voiced protagonists, Fallout 4 being the biggest one. It tends to hurt dialogue options and roleplaying opportunities.

I'd prefer the NPCs be voiced while the dialogue trees remain unvoiced, similar to the Divinity games.

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
Looks amazing! As some others have commented, I hope UI will evolve a bit

Other than that I'm super excited! 🤩

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Playing POE 2 Deadfire on hardest difficulty. Love Rtwp. Get to level 14 with good gear and full team of story companions. There's no strategy anymore. No managing my characters. No thinking. Just watching my toons mop up mobs. Yay RTWP.

That's a problem with POE2 not providing enough content for high-level parties, and it's just as much of an issue in turn-based mode, only the battles still drag on forever as you wait for enemies to complete their turns.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
No strong feelings about what I'm seeing in these screenshots. I was not expecting the UI to look quite so much like D:OS's, but it's fine and we're a ways out anyway.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
That's a problem with POE2 not providing enough content for high-level parties, and it's just as much of an issue in turn-based mode, only the battles still drag on forever as you wait for enemies to complete their turns.

Yeah, that stage of any turn-based fight where you have essentially already won but have to go through the motions to actually finish the fight isn't the best.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
We've seen past RPGs hurt by voiced protagonists, Fallout 4 being the biggest one. It tends to hurt dialogue options and roleplaying opportunities.

I'd prefer the NPCs be voiced while the dialogue trees remain unvoiced, similar to the Divinity games.
I'm not anti voiced protagonist, but I'm also fine without one. It's hard to find a VA that works for the wide range of characters that can be made in games like this... A half orc barbarian isn't going to sound like a halfling rogue or an elven bard. It's jarring when the VA doesn't match your concept at all.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Looks gorgeous. I'm pleasantly awaiting seeing it in full motion and getting more specific details.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'ma reserve judgement here but I feel the "looks like Divinity 3" comments align with my initial reaction.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Before the announcement vs after the announcement for me!
You know you can still play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, right? Like this game merely existing isn't going to erase the previous entries or your memories or experiences with them.

It's not trying to be Warcraft 3 Reforged

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
You know you can still play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, right? Like this game merely existing isn't going to erase the previous entries or your memories or experiences with them.

It's not trying to be Warcraft 3 Reforged

Indeed, I was going to do just that soon, especially with the 20th anniversary of BG2 this year.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
When does the trailer hit? Screenshots look like a Divinity 2 Mod. Zero Baldur's Gate vibes IMO. The artstyle is way too colorful/cartoonish. But I need to see that in motion and I need confirmation that this is RTwP.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screens look great and the news I'm hearing so far sounds like what I wanted from a Baldur's Gate game. I would like to see it in motion though.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I'm so fucking hyped. Can't wait for the actual gameplay reveal later.

As for the people who haven't played D&D 5E, I'll summarize some basic things about 5E (the pen-and-paper, not this game's probable adaptation of it) combat:
  • It's obviously turn-based
  • There's a number of things you can do in each of your turns: action, bonus action and movement are the basic ones, the crux of the "turn (or action) economy" of the game.
  • You can use (unless explicitly stated otherwise) your action once per turn. Same with your bonus action - only once per turn.
  • One of the most common actions you can take is the Attack action. Some classes allow your character to start attacking more than once per turn once you reach certain levels - but, make no mistake, this "Extra Attack" is still one Attack action. This means that if your character has the "Extra Attack" feature it has to use one action (Attack) to hit the enemy twice - your character cannot use a physical attack followed by casting a spell under the "Extra Attack" feature, because casting a spell is a different action than Attacking.
  • Spells have casting times: some take one action, others take a bonus action and others take a reaction. That means that, if you have spells slots available, you can cast two spells on the same turn: one that has a casting time of one action and one with a casting time of one bonus action. There's a pretty big limitation, however: if you use a bonus action spell, the action spell has to be a cantrip (which are "minor" spells, so to speak. I won't go into detail about it here.)
  • As mentioned before, there's also reactions, which are "special actions" that can occur on your turn or someone else's, and essentially they are instant responses to a certain trigger. For example, the Shield spell has the casting time of one reaction, and you must cast it when your character is hit by an attack and lasts until the start of your next turn.
  • Movement is always available to your character unless explicitly stated otherwise (for example: your character is paralyzed, or restrained). Your character can move up until your speed (as it appears on your character sheet, and might be affected by spells or certain equipment) in a single turn, and you can break up that movement however you see fit within your turn. If your character has a speed of 30ft, for example, you can move 10ft, use the Attack action and then move the remaining 20ft away, if you want to.
  • Apart from the Attack and Cast a Spell actions, some other actions you can take in your turn are: Dash, Disengage, Help, Hide and Ready.
  • The Dash action means you gain extra movement in your turn, equalling your speed (so if your character has 30ft speed and you choose the Dash action, it now has 60ft for that turn), but -considering it's an an Action- you cannot attack during that turn (unless the attack uses a bonus action as explicitly stated)
  • The Disengage action means your movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks during that turn. Opportunity attacks are triggered when a hostile creature moves out of another creature's reach - so, for example, you are melee attacking a goblin and then you want to flee 10ft away from it, then that movement triggers an opportunity attack against you (which is like any normal attack in terms of dice for that creature) before you actually can move. Also, opportunity attacks use a reaction. So, anyway, using Disengage can stop that from happening.
  • The Ready action gives you the chance to "hold" the action you want to use until a certain trigger happens (for example, "I'll hold my melee attack until this enemy gets within 30 feet of me"), and thus it'll use your reaction if it happens before the start of your next turn. If the trigger doesn't come to pass, then it's wasted :P
That's a very basic primer on turn/action economy on 5E. Hope it's clear enough, and we'll see how that is implemented in BG3!

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
As I said in the other thread - I just need a better UI and no more random loot (but I'm 100% okay with a built in item randomizer, lol)

Thanks, will watch. Fingers crossed for RTwP.

The "Turn Based" box on the one screenshot pretty much confirms that there will be an option, otherwise why specify that at all

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So... A very limited set of character customizations and dialogue options?

No. Fantastic cinematic storytelling and rich dialogue.

And we've seen past RPG hurt by non-voiced protagonist, like Dragon Age Origins. And BG3 should not make the same mistake, when you transition to a more cinematic style, a voiced protagonist is better than not. Moreover, the idea that voiced protagonist hurt roleplaying is incorrect. ME1 and ME2 are as rich as KoTOR and BG2, for example.

Of course, they have different flavors. And non-voiced protagonist might give you the illusion of more control over your character as you can imagine the delivery and intent of the line in any number of ways. So it's not a question of better or worse, it's a question of fitting the style of dialogue you want.