• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 20, 2022
I didn't even know there were 5 awards that were considered major. TGA is obviously the biggest and most well known and GDC and DICE are less known but voted for by the people that make games so they carry lots of weight. Most others are up in the air and you could pick and choose awards from IGN to Golden Joystick to Easy Allies which have varying levels of prestige and popularity

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
I see it more like praise for BG3 than shitting on anything else.
Eh, sure, but honestly I'm just tired of the whole discourse at this point so I'm not really inclined to take it that charitably.

Especially when we've already got multiple posters here shouting at some random unseen 'other' with posts like "people who are mad at their favourite game not winning are hilarious." Like, again, it's not enough that the game has won the majority of awards, everyone else has to agree that it's the absolute best thing of all time with no equal or else they're "bitter," or "defensive," or whatever. Especially when, as Nerokis points out above, the only real difference in these arbitrary '5 major awards shows' is BAFTA... 1 awards show out of hundreds.

What do you want? People to stop voting for their actual GOTY just because it's won a bunch of awards already? That's not rational.
What?

I'm referring to the thread's topic of the game winning an arbitrary '5 major GOTY awards.'

Plum

May 31, 2018
I mean, it was the starting point for a whole genre.
Dear Esther:

y8umtpe09b271.jpg

(Also Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, Firewatch, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, and more from the genre that came out before Edith Finch's 2017 release)

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, BG3 already won... this is just weird at this point. Very much a "it's not enough that I must win, the others must fail," sort of thing. As if it's not enough for the game to just be the clear majority winner; it has to win everything.
I feel like if your reaction to a GamesRadar article being titled "Baldur's Gate 3 passes Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild to become first game to win all five major GOTY awards" is to get upset or take offense, then that warrants some self-reflection on your part

What people ended up calling walking sims? Story focused 3d adventure Games.
Dear Esther and Gone Home predate Edith Finch by like 4-5 years

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This big 5 stuff is so arbitrary that you can easily say the same thing about Totk btw, It won Edge, IGN and Polygon, who's to say those arent the 3 most prestigious ones? You can even put Era in there too and call it a big 4

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Like, again, it's not enough that the game has won the majority of awards, everyone else has to agree that it's the absolute best thing of all time with no equal or else they're "bitter," or "defensive," or whatever.
This was also true in the year BOTW and Elden Ring won, I know because I dislike both of those games and felt the same way (actually BG3 is the first GOTY I agree in a long time). It's not the end of the world

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Having played through BG3 last month, I'm staggered that this beat TotK for GOTY awards. I really liked Act 1, but Act 2 felt more restrictive in terms of exploration and Act 3 really felt like it was dragging its feet. Aside from production values, I also don't see how it's a leap forward from Divinity Original Sin 2. I still really enjoyed my experience with it overall, but it's nowhere near my favourite games of all time.

The only reason I can see Zelda not winning GOTY awards is that it was too similar to Breath of the Wild.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Also not to take away from BG3's "achievement" since I love it but why should I care about awards from these particular venues more than any others? I feel like it's these venues patting themselves on the back to say how much "more" they matter in particular when I'm not seeing it

This big 5 stuff is so arbitrary that you can easily say the same thing about Totk btw, It won Edge, IGN and Polygon, who's to say those arent the 3 most prestigious ones? You can even put Era in there too and call it a big 4

An Elite 4 you might say

Plum

May 31, 2018
I feel like if your reaction to a GamesRadar article being titled "Baldur's Gate 3 passes Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild to become first game to win all five major GOTY awards" is to get upset or take offense, then that warrants some self-reflection on your part
The mildest of disagreement and it's instantly on to questioning the supposed-detractor's mental health with "you need to self-reflect"?

OK.

Yeah there's like 4-5 Games from back then you can say out the genre on the map. I still think it's fine to award one them
Oh, agreed in regards to it being fine to award GOTY to a walking sim (my GOTY 2020 was a casual photography sim lol). Whilst I doubt the vast majority would see it as equal to BotW in its year of release, Edith Finch was an incredible game and it deserved any of the wins it got. It's just not the originator or even the populariser by a fairly long shot; just a really, really good evolution of the formula.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Do we actually have to explain why Edge / IGN and Era aren't considered as prestigious as the Dice Awards?

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Also not to take away from BG3's "achievement" since I love it but why should I care about awards from these particular venues more than any others? I feel like it's these venues patting themselves on the back to say how much "more" they matter in particular when I'm not seeing it
TGAs are an aggregate of games press awards, Golden Joysticks are entirely fan-voted, and the other 3 are all industry professionals/game developer voted.

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Incredible, BG3 has become Thanos collecting all 5 trinity stones. Elden ring and botw should be ashamed of themselves

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
does a video exist that shows all or some of this..? how does it do exploration so much better than say Skyrim or Elden Ring..?
Given that BG3 is currently the third highest rated game ever on OpenCritic, I would guess that most reviews go into some detail about these things! Go check out some video reviews on YouTube.

Oh and for full context, Elden Ring was my favorite game of all time until Baldur's Gate. And Breath of the Wild is still probably like my #5

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Plum i was just messing with ya, dont take it personally, i dont got enough brains or goons to stage a COUP

not YET

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, BG3 already won... this is just weird at this point. Very much a "it's not enough that I must win, the others must fail," sort of thing. As if it's not enough for the game to just be the clear majority winner; it has to win everything.

Still fighting the good fight I see

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how can you apply an objective measure to any award show? What qualifies as high profile? My thinking was that it's near impossible to be objective about gaming award shows. It would always come down to what people personally feel is valid because there is no standard. If you thought I was saying all these shows were on the same level that's not what I meant.

My bad, I realized I wasn't clear - it's not so much calling these the "top 5 award shows" that I'm calling arbitrary. In terms of 1) being dedicated awards (i.e. a step above "gaming outlet's GotY") and 2) prestige, I think that's a fine five to focus on.

But these awards still don't exist in a vacuum. And the difference between 4/5 and 5/5 isn't that big in the first place. I don't think managing 5/5 as opposed to 4/5 differentiates BG3 as specifically appealing to both developers and consumers and it's that kind of framing I feel is taking some arbitrary steps.

Those two games received nearly unanimous praise, they don't deserve less because they are indies. I personally prefer them too.

Never even implied that, lol. Also love those games and didn't mind at all seeing them get their flowers.