• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure about that honestly.
There'd be a few shitposts alleging that the invisible hand of industry-wide nostlaiga bias (or some other nonsense) affected the results, but all else would be the same. The shitposts morph and take new form depending on the title, but the salt is always there.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't know what this is but that's cool.

I personally wouldn't put BG3 over those games if that's what this thread is doing in a weird round about way. I did love it nonetheless.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what you're implying but BOTW along with Bloodborne are by far the most beloved games of this forum since its inception.
Not to mention ToTK itself, lol. Like, that game gets its due. It should be clear to everyone that Baldurs Gate 3 more than deserves credit for blowing a game like THAT out.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
I don't know what you're implying but BOTW along with Bloodborne are by far the most beloved games of this forum since its inception.

TOTK sucks.

Final fantasy 16 should have won...
/s

Though seriously not even a nom for music. I don't love the soundtrack as much as most but it should still have been a nomination.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think the most complimentary thing about BG3 is winning all these awards and praise in a year as crazily stacked as the last one. To have as big of a consensus in year with such a diverse and excellent lineup of games is a testimony to its success.

Dear Esther:

y8umtpe09b271.jpg

This really took me back. What a memorable experience this was. It intrigued me instantly with that first trailer. The words still pop into my mind "I've begun my voyage in a paperboat without a bottom. I will fly to the moon in it"

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
As of right now, Bg3 is my favorite game of this generation. I'm very happy for the team.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know what this is but that's cool.

I personally wouldn't put BG3 over those games if that's what this thread is doing in a weird round about way. I did love it nonetheless.

It's the title of the article, it's just a factoid not a direct attack on those incredible games or any other game for that matter.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
There'd be a few shitposts alleging that the invisible hand of industry-wide nostlaiga bias (or some other nonsense) affected the results, but all else would be the same. The shitposts morph and take new form depending on the title, but the salt is always there.
I mean, I get it, no one wants to have that conversation, but let's also not pretend series legacy and attachment don't factor into some of these things. It's not even about scores and awards, but what people are more likely to give a chance / more attention to.

Familiar IP made by studios people like have a leg up by default. These things can't be helped, but I'm not gonna pretend some of those criticisms aren't valid just because people are tired of hearing them. Just a matter of sifting through the salt and finding who's actually making a point.

I think about that From Software quote. I'm paraphrasing but it was essentially, we haven't really changed our philosophy, y'all just started awarding us. Of course that's not to say Armored Core all the way back then was secretly the best game, but how perception changes things.

Same for Larian now. While BG3 is a huge leap, it's not like they weren't already doing this stuff and getting great reviews for it.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
This video is perfect to show BG3 great design approach IMO. Watch onwards for 2-3 minutes from the timestamp.

View: https://youtu.be/JB850eEy7sc?t=282

thanks! i guess i'll give it one more chance to impress me, heh. added to "watch later" list.

i did watch a bunch of the 10/10 reviews etc at the time of release and they did nothing to make me want to play it.. like i said i might just simply not ever get it lol.

Oct 19, 2023
Congratulations to Larian. All their hard work and ambition paid off. Fantastic.

I thought Zelda was going to be more competitive based off its reviews.

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Going to be honest, and I admit this is probably my fault, but at no point I thought this was more than just a curiosity when I made this thread.

Not worth getting upset over it.

Last edited:

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
great game, deserves it, other game's aren't lesser. all that good stuff.

but...major goty awards? big 5? lmao

Thaum

Jan 5, 2023
This year the BAFTAs decided to do away with the dumb thing of having only 9-12 people vote on Best Game, and this time having over one thousand members vote on it. Glad BG3 won it, I only lament the previous years where they didn't vote like this.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's the title of the article, it's just a factoid not a direct attack on those incredible games or any other game for that matter.
the weird passive aggressive posts throughout the thread indicate otherwise, so i just prefer being upfront in what i say or think.

like if BoTW and Elden Ring got this, i would think it's just as weird and silly, and i have because similar arbitrary milestones have been posted about those games in the past.

Jun 24, 2019
Truly, it's well deserved Baldur Gate 3 won many awards, however I'm also relieved it didn't won the narrative and story category as I felt that was the weakest aspect of the game, ironically.

All in all, I'm happy for Larian's success. I hope they welcome constructive feedback and make BG4 the best of the best.

Elden Ring deserved a lot more awards but it was competing against God of War: Ragnarok, which in all honesty shouldn't have won many categories.