• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really liking the game. Just got to the void shit but I'm heading back to the small town for now.

Quick question though. Anyone Ps5 notice the frame rate going to shit after playing for a couple hours? 60fps btw with vrr.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished, really good game, would recommend, although a bit too long, 15-20 hours would have been the ideal length as repetition fatigue started to kick in after about 15 hours.

Jan 29, 2018
I found a Void passage but could not for the life of me find an exit. Is that a thing? I wish those sections had a map.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I'm still very early but I don't feel the game shows well early on tbh. The story and characters are very interesting, which is why I'll keep playing. But the linear pathing, very basic press L2 a few times and anything dies combat, the very long talking scenes with morose music and tone, is a bit simple/a drag. I'm less than two hours in so I imagine it's just soft onboarding?

Vgorilla3774

Sep 21, 2020
I just wrapped up everything Fort Jericho and prior, heading to the Hollows. How much longer would you say I have before credits roll?

You've got a while. The Hollows (+ sidequests) is longer than Jericho, and then the game...keeps going. I ended up finally giving up the ghost and just youtubing the ending I was going for because I was ready for it to move to the conclusion and instead the game was like..."what if we packed in a few more hours before the natural conclusion and it was more back-tracking?"

I feel like I've posted about being down on the game but I really do think it does a lot of really great and brilliant things, but there was clearly some mandate to make it a BIG LONG RPG and the level of padding is extreme and often pretty blatant.

theCioro

Jun 16, 2023
RO
Finished the game after 36hrs. I liked the story and ending but the content that's in it kinda annoyed me. Doing side content involves running like crazy on the map which really killed the enjoyment factor tor for me. I'm still hoping for a patch with fast travel to campfires. Didn't ran so much in a game since a Ubi open world.
One thing in the main story that pissed me off was fast travel between 3 or 4 locations for 5 lines of dialogue. That part of the main quest felt like useless padding that should've been handled differently imho.
Besides that, the combat could use some polish since I found myself stunlocked and unresponsive to controls on PS5.
Dialogue was hit & miss for me. Had a really wtf moment when Anthea tells Red to not play along with the ghost only for her to say 'ill play along' in the next 5 secs.
I did like the graphics and how some ghosts looked.
Overall 6.5-7 game for me. 7 I guess.
I'm back to far cry 6 but here I can fast travel and airdrop to my points of interests :))

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Do most people play on Hard?
I'm on normal and almost eveything can be killed with just a few R2 attacks, wondering if it's just cause I'm still early or the combat system takes awhile to open up cause right now it's not very tense or rewarding

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
I have the copy of the game but have not started yet. Have there been any patches yet and have the devs talked about any upcoming improvements?

HighDrama

Jan 17, 2023
Do you think there will be a patch for the game to improve performance etc. or is it a "dead" game?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm really liking the game. Just got to the void shit but I'm heading back to the small town for now.

Quick question though. Anyone Ps5 notice the frame rate going to shit after playing for a couple hours? 60fps btw with vrr.

Yep I had the same issue. Mine got so bad after a few hours it actually slowed down so much that the game crashed.

Slick misses your reviews over at Survivors Club btw.

hob982

Oct 27, 2017
I like this game. But--BUT. Gaddamn it the backtracking is annoying.
It's like everything is tight and with deliberate pacing during the main quest. Optional forks do not bring you in entire regions, you follow the plot, and get the deed done. And then you get some side haunting cases (green ones) and many bring you to explore new regions. That's fine. But that's when the road forks start to become overwhelming. If you're a completist it is annoying especially because many paths are actually reserved to side quests, so exploring on your own is disincentivized. When you get to the lesser side quests (grey one) you basically have the map available but fast travel points are so few and far between you have to remember how to reach some areas (and game being samey as fuck does not help), while fighting AGAIN the same boring enemies, with no way of fleeing (I tried, they aggro forever, and during aggro no interaction points are available). As said, you get at times 5 lines of dialogue for 5 mins of backtracking. I fuckin hate it. Finally, during the backtracking, all the traversal stuttering rears its ugly head, being choppy as fuck during all the tight squeezes you need to pass through.
It is fuckin grueling and, as a completionist, I managed to preserve my sanity only by admitting I will do the haunting cases and not the rest of the quests and/or the open world activities which are honestly, bottom of the barrel.
I like this game. But I pretty much preferred Vampyr and it's gameplay loop.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm on normal and almost eveything can be killed with just a few R2 attacks, wondering if it's just cause I'm still early or the combat system takes awhile to open up cause right now it's not very tense or rewarding
I'm like 28 hours in on normal and about half of the encounters are like you describe and the other half I actually have to work at - enemies might give other enemies shields, ranged enemies off to the side, who is weak to Antea vs Red, etc. It does take way too long to introduce new combat mechanics. It feels a little better once Antea has 2 or 3 abilities and Red has a gun.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night and got what's generally regarded as the best ending. Absolutely loved it. This is one of my favorite games in recent memory. Spent a lot of time doing side activities and haunting cases.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I found the quest fights too easy, but the optional ones to get elite reagents could be challenging.

Jan 29, 2018
I had to make the call to stop doing Haunting Cases and other side stuff and just go beat the game. I enjoyed the stories in the Haunting Cases but there was just too much running back and forth. I'm sure I would've got a better or more rewarding ending if I did all the Hauntings and min-maxed the outcomes but I'm still pretty satisfied with my time. It's a very cool game there's just a tad too much of it.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
50 hours in and I still don't really get the difference between an invocation and a manisfestion, leaving it for luck every time. I am cleaning the map rn, near the end (finally).

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Credits are rolling. Nothing special to say, clearly not one of my favorite DON'T NOD games and I am not sure I'd recommend it in the end. The lack of variety in environment, puzzles, weapons, ennemies really doesn't help the amount of backtracking required and encounters along the way. All for a story which didn't grab me at all.

I'd have taken a proper Vampyr sequel / successor over this. Vampyr was so cool and has such a stronger identity. This makes me want to replay Vampyr. Is it good on Steam Deck?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Finally got back to this game after finishing Rebirth. What a great game. Though the enemy variety is (rightly) derided, I felt the boss fights were all varied, unique, and challenging. I really appreciated the high quality writing being consistent throughout the game as well as through every single haunting case. Very well done.

For my ending I worked towards
Resurrection and good lord I massacred some good people. They all kind of deserved it in a way since none of them spoke up for Deborah, but man I still felt bad for some of them.

elenarie what ending did you get?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Finally got back to this game after finishing Rebirth. What a great game. Though the enemy variety is (rightly) derided, I felt the boss fights were all varied, unique, and challenging. I really appreciated the high quality writing being consistent throughout the game as well as through every single haunting case. Very well done.

For my ending I worked towards
Resurrection and good lord I massacred some good people. They all kind of deserved it in a way since none of them spoke up for Deborah, but man I still felt bad for some of them.

elenarie what ending did you get?

full Ascent ending as I did everything in the game. Did not Blame anyone, but I did Banish a few hateful / vengeful ghosts.

RafikiX

Mar 24, 2023
Still playing this on and off,
I just killed the calamity (the trial thing in the cave) and I blamed the governor.

How far am I ?

OP
OP
Hadok

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I really liked it ,i've finished it (took me 65 hours,75% map completion).
Combat was fine actually,and a huge improvement after Vampyr.
Great story,great characters,beautiful ending.
a few backtracking near the end if you want to do all the quests,but nothing terrible.
I've decided naturally to go to the "Ascent" path,and didn't kill anyone (except one character,as an experiment :p ) so the choices were a bit too easy.That's my only grip with the game.And also the game really needs to have a minimap on the screen,damnit ! maybe in the upcoming patch.
But excellent game,and a great addition to studio's catalog.

Oh and it's on sale right now on steam/console:

View: https://twitter.com/Focus_entmt/status/1773037352568381619

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Bought this game due to it being on sale. And for some reason it just crashed my whole PC. Everything goes black, and the monitor itself will give me a message that it lost connection to the PC. So have to hard reset PC all the time.

Googled it, and it looks like it is a pretty common issue, but for people with AMD CPU.... I have Intel.

OP
OP
Hadok

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Bought this game due to it being on sale. And for some reason it just crashed my whole PC. Everything goes black, and the monitor itself will give me a message that it lost connection to the PC. So have to hard reset PC all the time.

Googled it, and it looks like it is a pretty common issue, but for people with AMD CPU.... I have Intel.

oh that's weird...any pbs with other games made with UE5 ?
They're working on a patch, maybe it will be fixed.

FilthyCasual

Aug 30, 2021
Does the game have NG+? I am really enjoying it for the most part (38 hours in). Finding the combat balanced enough for my taste, doing the cleansing rituals is often challenging for me, although I've leveled up a bit so it's definitely easier than it was. Really like the character performances, writing, and the environments. Performance seems fine on the XSX except every so often it pauses while wandering around (and there's always a pause when switching to the menus for some reason). Playing on a VRR tv, fwiw.

I think the thing nagging at me is that there is no way to get 100% achievements without doing two playthroughs, if I am interpreting the achievements as requiring all ascend/banish or all blame to do ascend/resurrect.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany

I'm thinking about getting this or Yakuza 8 on PS5 and i really can't decide. Yakuza is a known quantity but i'm really not entirely sure with this. I heard this was similar to Vampyr (same universe too) which i really loved and i generally do enjoy Dontnod games. So yeah, how similar is it to Vampyr and what are some key differences?

OP
OP
Hadok

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I'm thinking about getting this or Yakuza 8 on PS5 and i really can't decide. Yakuza is a known quantity but i'm really not entirely sure with this. I heard this was similar to Vampyr (same universe too) which i really loved and i generally do enjoy Dontnod games. So yeah, how similar is it to Vampyr and what are some key differences?

if you liked Vampyr and Don'tnod games,it's a no brainer !

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I'm early on, is resting at campfires the only way of replenishing your healing supplies? I'm trying to kill some alpha ghost which kills me in one of two hits since I only have a small slither of health and no potions left, and it's blocking the way back to the campfire. It's either continue fighting it over and over again, or lose about 45 minutes of progress.

OP
OP
Hadok

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I'm early on, is resting at campfires the only way of replenishing your healing supplies? I'm trying to kill some alpha ghost which kills me in one of two hits since I only have a small slither of health and no potions left, and it's blocking the way back to the campfire. It's either continue fighting it over and over again, or lose about 45 minutes of progress.

the souls nest events on the map can replenish the healing potions too .There are also healing skills in the skill tree..

but I didn't have the problem you mentioned, what do you mean by "i am early on" ?

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
the souls nest events on the map can replenish the healing potions too .There are also healing skills in the skill tree..

but I didn't have the problem you mentioned, what do you mean by "i am early on" ?
I've got past it now, it's right before you return to Jacob, the trapper. There's an Alpha Glutton you have to fight along with a possessed wolf which blocks the way back up.

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
Are there differences between quality and perfomance, in addition to resolution and framerate?

OP
OP
Hadok

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Patch is live !

View: https://x.com/Focus_entmt/status/1780903496377602367

More details on the patch :

Combat and Enemies

• Adjusted the behavior of certain enemies and bosses that could make combat much easier in rare configurations.
  • Fixed cases where enemies could not reach the player or remained invisible.
  • Addressed a bug where the "Unable to change equipment" warning was displayed incorrectly, and adjustments to ensure that UI indications accurately reflect the current state of potions and skills.

Progression et Quests

• Solved issues blocking progression in certain missions, corrected missing quest markers, and adjustments to ensure the correct triggering of story events.

Environment and Navigation

• Fixed issues where the main character could fall through the ground or get stuck in the environment, notably at the entrance to Fort Jericho's barracks and on certain isolated rocks.
  • Corrected certain navigation interactions that were difficult to access or could block the player if interacted with from a specific angle (rope, jump, narrow path).
  • Removed several invisible collisions that could block player movement.
  • Adjusted navigation zones to prevent movement anomalies like falling animations of the hero.
  • Resolved issues with invisible collision preventing the destruction of a soul grabber or a creeping ivy node.

Cinematics and Dialogues

• Fixed issues affecting the playback of cinematics and the consistency of dialogues: facial animation problems, overlapping voice-overs, adjustment of the audio volume of certain dialogues or music, camera adjustments hidden by a decor element.

Visuals

• Fixed issues related to the display of certain textures, missing or persisting visual effects, and improved the visual integration of environmental settings (rocks, vegetation, snow, etc.).
  • Addressed an animation issue where NPCs like Danniel Keayne and Antea would become invisible under certain conditions.

Photomode

• Fixed various bugs related to photo mode (display of interaction input, HUD elements remaining visible, etc.).
  • Addressed issues with camera control in photo mode between AZERTY and QWERTY setups.
  • Fixed a white filter appearing on screenshots in photo mode on Steam.

Interfaces and Menus

• Corrected button overlays and visual adjustments to improve readability and interaction.
  • Fixed interface issues, such as skill texts not updating correctly.

Audio

• Adjusted the frequency of dynamic dialogues to reduce the excessive repetition of certain lines (e.g: Antea calling for a switch)
  • Resolved issues where music would abruptly cut off in various situations, such as approaching the graveyard at the start of the game, in combat, during certain cinematics, and when using the PS5's share feature.

Stability and Performance

• Fixed various crashes and freezes on PC and consoles.
  • Improved overall stability across different platforms, especially concerning framerate drops in dense areas, when moving from one region to another, or during certain player actions.
  • Addressed issues causing delays in opening the in-game menu after long sessions, particularly on PS5.

Achievements

• Fixed an issue that could prevent the completion of the "Full Potency" achievement.

AI

• Fixed an issue where certain NPC routines did not occur as expected, leading to incorrect visual interactions.

Localization and Translations

• Corrected various subtitle and voice-over problems, including gender errors, typos, and narrative inconsistencies in several languages.

Control Options

• Fixed an issue affecting key reconfiguration.

edit:
"Adjusted the frequency of dynamic dialogues to reduce the excessive repetition of certain lines (e.g: Antea calling for a switch)"

Oh Thanks god ! :D

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
I gave it a quick whirl on the PS5 during my lunch break. The inventory and map load up much faster now, and running through the open world also looks to be a lot more stable.

I'm thankful that Rebirth had kept me preoccupied, so now that I'm returning to Banishers, it's all patched up :)

Last edited:

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Per the Focus PulluP FY Results (pdf), a demo of the game will arrive on May 7th

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden was released on 13 February on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S and PC. The reception by the RPG action fan community of this new franchise from the award-winning studio DON'T NOD, jointly owned with FOCUS ENTERTAINMENT PUBLISHING, was more than positive, with a Metascore of 78 as well as a Steam user score of over 85% to date. The group anticipates that the game will perform well over the long term, supported by a community that is highly enthusiastic about the narrative and the emotion it conveys. Starting on 7 May, the game will benefit from a free playable demo on all platforms to allow new players to try it and be won over by spectacular combat mechanics, iconic characters and unique environments.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Looks like the new patch might improve the annoying stuttering in certain areas:

• Improved overall stability across different platforms, especially concerning framerate drops in dense areas, when moving from one region to another, or during certain player actions.

Going to give it a try.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Only anecdotal, but it seems to be quite a bit smoother on PS5 in performance mode, although still not a locked 60 FPS.

It also fixed a bug I ran into with Flora's quest "Parting Shot," which apparently has been broken for a long time now. I had avoid that entire part of the mountains because her dialogue was bugged and the game wouldn't let you leave the area either.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
bought this on sale on a whym (I knew next to nothing about it) and ive been really liking it, nice surprise.

does it have any known memory leak issues tho? because performance tanked when I got to this darkwood town place, I restarted the game and now its fixed.