• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
It's innocuous as fuck, but I imagine they hire BART police to prevent what the homophobe was trying to do.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah remember the part when one armed and pointlessly antagonistic napoleon started publicly humiliating another human being for quietly eating a sandwich and then after several ridiculous and aggressive exchanges his victim finally used a gross slur and that balanced things out? He shouldn't have used that word - it's disgusting and he's responsible for it but the balance of power here is ridiculous..
Its not an excuse to use hate language. The guy sounded like he was pretty casual with saying it. They are both gross people.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not an excuse to use hate language. The guy sounded like he was pretty casual with saying it. They are both gross people.
I'm not excusing his language - I'm pointing out the sticks and stones mismatch. Maybe they're both garbage people- but they're not equally garbage people in this incident.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another day, another dodgy cop.

I say this every time I read something like this but no amount of money would make me want to live in the US. What the fuck man

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucken absurd. How are you going to arrest someone for eating? Also why does such a law exist? Is it because of littering? Food odor? Easy money making scheme for the city?

WarrenD

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Break rules (even if stupid they are still the rules), refuse to Co operate, use homopbobic slur. Yeah, fuck all parties involved in this. All he had to do was give his name and take the ticket. Don't know why people need to antagonise then play the victim.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
This is fucken absurd. How are you going to arrest someone for eating? Also why does such a law exist? Is it because of littering? Food odor? Easy money making scheme for the city?
It's easy money, cops can get quotas and helps keep the station beautiful for its less dark patrons.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
America, sort your shit out.

arrested and cuffed for eating a sandwich in the wrong place!

all those people stand there and do nothing to stop this

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea that was a rule. Does New York have a rule like this because I break it in my mornings commuting to work ALL the time.
NY probably does. If they are arresting Black people for putting their feet up on the seat in empty cars, guaranteed they can harass minorities for food too. If you're white, your safe. Go hop a turnstile and get a finger wag warning.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet I just saw two white tech bro's munching on takeout at Embarcadero station with impunity. Hell I accidentally brought a coffee onboard and finished it up on camera. This is complete bullshit and I won't do it again in principle.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy money, cops can get quotas and helps keep the station beautiful for its less dark patrons.

I tried to track down the legislative history yesterday but was unable to do so. I am guessing you are right.

No idea that was a rule. Does New York have a rule like this because I break it in my mornings commuting to work ALL the time.

It's not even a rule or an ordinance, it is written in the penal code. Let that sink in for a minute.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Break rules (even if stupid they are still the rules), refuse to Co operate, use homopbobic slur. Yeah, fuck all parties involved in this. All he had to do was give his name and take the ticket. Don't know why people need to antagonise then play the victim.

Because it's selective enforcement.
Part of America's history is letting the rules slide for white men, then suddenly it's like 'WE NEED EIGHTEEN FORMS OF ID FOR THIS...ACCORDING TO THIS STATUTE YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW'.

He may have crossed the line, but ultimately the system is built so that way there's always a lawyer-y way for cops to harass at impunity with no blowback and the second you say 'wtf?', with no physical confrontation it's resisting arrest (since its a nebulous term that can cover actually fighting a cop or you saying 'why are you ticketing me'?

And you're only recourse as a citizen is to take it, and take time off work fighting a ticket the cop won't show up for because he's on vacay with the overtime he got paid by the government to harass said victim, lol. He may have handled it wrong and may be a homophobe, but at the time the only thing the cop knew was 'black guy', lol.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
An absolute waste of time, money and almost certainly the "rarely enforced" law, was enforced because he was black...

That said, there is really no point arguing with the cop at that point in time, take the citation, and fight it afterwards. He just ended up giving them out as he was being "uncooperative" and fucked up by ending up showing his homophobia, which really doesn't make me care about him personally, at all. Regardless, the selective enforcement of rules to single out minorities will always be shit, and should be fought against even if it's an asshole you're defending.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
laws in this country are for minorities.

Stop saying its a waste of resources, this has been the point since the founding.