Status
Not open for further replies.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I don't know if Nvidia's interested in jumping in the Windows on Arm market, but Microsoft is planning on enabling emulation of 64-bit programs on Windows on Arm on November:
www.pcworld.com

Microsoft will solve Windows on ARM’s biggest flaw beginning in November

Microsoft will release code to allow Windows on ARM PCs to run 64-bit X86 code via emulation, allowing every Snapdragon PC to run the same code as one powered by AMD and Intel.
Hypothetically speaking, if Nvidia's interested in jumping in the Windows on Arm, I'm curious about what CPU cores configuration Nvidia might be going for, assuming that the SoC used in Windows on Arm devices is the same SoC used on the "Nintendo Switch 2".
I don't think they'll be making a massive push into that field. Currently they seem to be happy just supplying GPU's for Laptop OEMs.

Regardless though it's good for the industry, W10-ARM being 32b only held it back massively. Perhaps we're close to some ARM gaming maybe.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Still maintaining any switch upgrade will be related to the form factor, battery life, joycons and display.

anybody expecting a 4k 60fps switch or anything even close to that is gonna be disappointed.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
windows arm and Nintendo switch seem different enough of products to use different configurations.... I'm just not sure how much it would actually influence the development of a games only device. I just don't see them sharing the same config like shield TV does.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Still maintaining any switch upgrade will be related to the form factor, battery life, joycons and display.

anybody expecting a 4k 60fps switch or anything even close to that is gonna be disappointed.

If it uses DLSS games that reach full 1080p or near 1080p/60 already on OG may reach 4k/60.

I'm not willing to shut down the DLSS conversation until there's concrete evidence that Nintendo won't use DLSS. There's still a chance Ampere architecture will be used.

I'm not saying it will, I'm just willing to keep an open mind about it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Although not related at all to the "Nintendo Switch 2", Arm announced the Cortex-A78AE, and Nvidia confirmed that Orin uses the Cortex-A78AE.

Considering that Arm mentioned the Cortex-A65AE when announcing the Cortex-A78AE, I wonder if the Cortex-A65 is the successor to the Cortex-A55, especially if the "Nintendo Switch 2" is going to have a heterogeneous CPU configuration as opposed to a homogeneous CPU configuration.
It's being called the switch 2 now instead of pro / deluxe etc?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think Mariko and the Lite basically addressed the battery life and form factor issues already. Not sure who these people are who have more than 5+ hours a day to be playing a video game away from a wall outlet. Switch is designed to be put back into the dock when the person comes home, so it really needs one day battery life.

I don't know if Nintendo asked for 4K, it may well have been Nvidia that was showing them different prototypes or hypotheticals of what they could do at 7nm/8nm and that simply was something presented to Nintendo.

A premium $350-$400 SKU likely figures to make Nintendo a good amount of money.

mJay

Oct 25, 2017

Call it what you want. No one knows what it will be but the general thought is that if it's a minor spec increase with some gimmick added or just general overall improvements to hardware (bigger screen, better Joycons, etc) than it's a pro type upgrade. Mid gen refresh.

But if it's something more... if these rumors of 4k are true. And they're going for DLSS. It would appear that they are more going for a smart phone approach and this isn't a refresh but a new (backwards compatible) iteration.

I'm team Switch 2.

Apr 11, 2020
I don't think they'll be making a massive push into that field. Currently they seem to be happy just supplying GPU's for Laptop OEMs.

Regardless though it's good for the industry, W10-ARM being 32b only held it back massively. Perhaps we're close to some ARM gaming maybe.
Integrated Renoir and Xe GPU are the real threat in the high margins laptop market. They must sell in house ARM SOCs for Windows in order to stay relevant on this market.

That's why a 8*A78 would be relevant for a new Nintendo switch. Because it would be the best, de facto, Windows on ARM chip even on an older node.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
windows arm and Nintendo switch seem different enough of products to use different configurations.... I'm just not sure how much it would actually influence the development of a games only device. I just don't see them sharing the same config like shield TV does.
Philip Barnes, the architect for Microsoft Surface devices, said that the Microsoft SQ1 is basically a Snapdragon 855, but with higher frequencies and larger cache memory. (I imagine since the Surface Pro X, which runs on a Microsoft SQ1, has a better cooling system than flagship Android mobile smartphones from 2019, the Surface Pro X can run at higher frequencies and has larger cache memory.) So I don't think there would be a significant difference when it comes to SoC design between a Windows on Arm device SoC and a "Nintendo Switch 2" SoC, besides the differences mentioned by Philip Barnes.
Nvidia said Orin is not expected to be ready for automakers to use until 2022.

But anyway, nobody knows if Nintendo's planning on releasing a "Nintendo Switch Pro" or a "Nintendo Switch 2" in 2021. I've heard people speculate that Nintendo might be planning on releasing a "Nintendo Switch 2" in 2021 due to the Bloomberg article mentioning that Nintendo asked third party developers interviewed in the Bloomberg article to make the games 4K ready, which I presume is solely for docked mode.

Last edited:

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I think Mariko and the Lite basically addressed the battery life and form factor issues already. Not sure who these people are who have more than 5+ hours a day to be playing a video game away from a wall outlet. Switch is designed to be put back into the dock when the person comes home, so it really needs one day battery life.

I don't know if Nintendo asked for 4K, it may well have been Nvidia that was showing them different prototypes or hypotheticals of what they could do at 7nm/8nm and that simply was something presented to Nintendo.

A premium $350-$400 SKU likely figures to make Nintendo a good amount of money.
'switch battery life is good, actually'

is a hilarious take I was not expecting to read today.

I also don't get the concept that portable devices are only for outside of the house. I use my tv for more things than playing switch games. We have multiple people in my household, I'm not exclusively using my TV for the switch. Sometimes I like to lie in bed or take it in the bathroom and also I'm not sure where you're getting 5 hours of battery life. I want that switch, can we please trade?

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
If it uses DLSS games that reach full 1080p or near 1080p/60 already on OG may reach 4k/60.

I'm not willing to shut down the DLSS conversation until there's concrete evidence that Nintendo won't use DLSS. There's still a chance Ampere architecture will be used.

I'm not saying it will, I'm just willing to keep an open mind about it.
Fair enough. I just don't think nintendo is really at the point where they are caring about 4k. i don't think they will be for a very long time.

I could be wrong but I fully expect the next revision to be based purely on the the things I mentioned as it seems users favor undocked mode with the device

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm going to be staying away from the Pro and 2 monikers because both of those have connotations that don't really describe what I think Nintendo is going to be doing in the coming years.

I'm going to be using terms like 'next switch upgrade' or 'next version of the switch'.

I think that the Switch will get regular upgrades without losing backwards compatibility for the most part, and they may be more frequent than we're used to. If we think in terms of a new one next year as a pro, then is the one 3 or 5 years from now a pro pro? If they're going along an upgrade path like that, then it's just one in relation to the next.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be staying away from the Pro and 2 monikers because both of those have connotations that don't really describe what I think Nintendo is going to be doing in the coming years.

I'm going to be using terms like 'next switch upgrade' or 'next version of the switch'.

I think that the Switch will get regular upgrades without losing backwards compatibility for the most part, and they may be more frequent than we're used to. If we think in terms of a new one next year as a pro, then is the one 3 or 5 years from now a pro pro? If they're going along an upgrade path like that, then it's just one in relation to the next.
I see no reason to believe this happening, I see this as a new 3DS and their new console with its own exclusives will release in 23-24

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I also don't get the concept that portable devices are only for outside of the house. I use my tv for more things than playing switch games. We have multiple people in my household, I'm not exclusively using my TV for the switch. Sometimes I like to lie in bed or take it in the bathroom and also I'm not sure where you're getting 5 hours of battery life. I want that switch, can we please trade?
The Mariko Switches they released starting about a year ago get 5-9 hours of battery life.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

This is how I look at it.
"The Next Switch"
For now...
Ultimately I think they'll develop a platform name and have devices around it... so we won't even ba calling it a switch anymore ... (one day haha)

Apr 11, 2020
Nintendo just need to add a new profile every 3 to 4 years. I even have the feeling that they will be able to release a 99$ model with the old TX1 (or binned TX next gen).

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

Nvidia only does discrete graphics for laptops right now because the alternative would require collaborating with either AMD or Intel. ARM opens up the possibility for integrated Nvidia graphics because they can build the entire SoC themselves, especially now that they're in the process of buying ARM.

A Tegra laptop would also probably help these laptops take off in general, because right now they're basically stuck with cell phone GPUs.

Jul 14, 2020

I agree with the original poster. Even tho I mostly play handheld mode, I don't need more battery life. In fact, I would happily trade battery life down to 3-4 hours for performance.

Most people don't have 5+ hour handheld play session. Second, it's easier to buy an extra battery to extend a play session than to buy more performance.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The Mariko Switch gets 4-6 hours of battery life. When you come home you put the Switch in the dock even if you're not using it on the TV, that's basically the intended design of the system.

Unless you're planning to take a 6 hour crap on the toilet, 5 hours is plenty for most regular users, if you're hell bent on playing 7-8 hour marathon sessions daily (not sure even a kid has that kind of time), I mean that's really where an external battery pack would probably be a reasonable accessory to suggest.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
It just came to my attention that on Sep. 15th Nvidia quietly released the promised Shield Pro software update that brings "AI upscaling" to GeForce Now and GameStream. I did a quick test to see how the technology could potentially be deployed on the 2021 Switch instead of the DLSS. Notes:
  • The screenshots below juxtapose the "AI-enhanced" upscaling (left) and "basic" upscaling (right)
  • Tested it on two free GFN games—Tomb Raider and Warframe
  • Shield can only take 1080p screenshots, even though the GFN stream is upscaled to 4K
  • I ended up taking pictures of my TV using a phone camera, therefore the images may not fully represent the quality of the upscaler or the GFN service in general
The AI upscaler works very well with Tomb Raider (full-sized uncropped images here and here):
kVNszFR.png

DyGURug.png

When the source is blurry, however, it's rather ineffective; some might say that it adds some weird artifacts (full-sized uncropped image here):
KR3QKAk.png

Perhaps due to the art style and the fact that Warframe looks blurry on GFN to begin with, the improvement made by the AI upscaler is rather subtle; these being phone camera photos only makes it harder to tell the difference (full-sized uncropped images here, here and here):
6MPSgsu.png

2syBavb.png

wAJHUY5.png

My takeaway from this unscientific short test is that the AI upscaler would be a nice addition to the 2021 Switch but it's not as good as the DLSS. Under certain conditions it can be very effective though. So that could be what the Bloomberg report meant by making the games "4K ready": Increase the native resolution and reduce blurriness to allow the AI upscaler to perform better. Guess this is why Nintendo doesn't do anti-aliasing; they are just ahead of the curve. (/s) I'm still holding out hope for the DLSS though.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I said about Warframe, the AI upscaling was clearly better than the basic upscaling, but the improvement was less pronounced and thus hardly discernible from my phone photos.

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
It just came to my attention that on Sep. 15th Nvidia quietly released the promised Shield Pro software update that brings "AI upscaling" to GeForce Now and GameStream. I did a quick test to see how the technology could potentially be deployed on the 2021 Switch instead of the DLSS. Notes:
  • The screenshots below juxtapose the "AI-enhanced" upscaling (left) and "basic" upscaling (right)
  • Tested it on two free GFN games—Tomb Raider and Warframe
  • Shield can only take 1080p screenshots, even though the GFN stream is upscaled to 4K
  • I ended up taking pictures of my TV using a phone camera, therefore the images may not fully represent the quality of the upscaler or the GFN service in general
The AI upscaler works very well with Tomb Raider (full-sized uncropped images here and here):
kVNszFR.png

DyGURug.png

When the source is blurry, however, it's rather ineffective; some might say that it adds some weird artifacts (full-sized uncropped image here):
KR3QKAk.png

Perhaps due to the art style and the fact that Warframe looks blurry on GFN to begin with, the improvement made by the AI upscaler is rather subtle; these being phone camera photos only makes it harder to tell the difference (full-sized uncropped images here, here and here):
6MPSgsu.png

2syBavb.png

wAJHUY5.png

My takeaway from this unscientific short test is that the AI upscaler would be a nice addition to the 2021 Switch but it's not as good as the DLSS. Under certain conditions it can be very effective though. So that could be what the Bloomberg report meant by making the games "4K ready": Increase the native resolution and reduce blurriness to allow the AI upscaler to perform better. Guess this is why Nintendo doesn't do anti-aliasing; they are just ahead of the curve. (/s) I'm still holding out hope for the DLSS though.

EDIT: Just to clarify what I said about Warframe, the AI upscaling was clearly better than the basic upscaling, but the improvement was less pronounced and thus hardly discernible from my phone photos.
Is this upscaling done via server side? Since it is Geforce Nox/game streaming, it wouldn't really be done locally on the system right?

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
What I maintain would be interesting is if Nintendo uses stepped upgrades for their systems:

OG Switch + Lite
Switch Pro
Switch 2

and then instead of Switch 2 games being unplayable on all previous models, they're actually playable on Pro models as well.

Reeeeeally surprised we didn't see Sony/MS push for something like this with Pro/X.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
What I maintain would be interesting is if Nintendo uses stepped upgrades for their systems:

OG Switch + Lite
Switch Pro
Switch 2

and then instead of Switch 2 games being unplayable on all previous models, they're actually playable on Pro models as well.

Reeeeeally surprised we didn't see Sony/MS push for something like this with Pro/X.

Those poor jaguar cpus would have really held back next gen though, and zen tech wasn't ready for the upgrades.

Its different with ARM, who releases new compatible cpus every year, so in a way it would make more sense for Nintendo.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Is this upscaling done via server side? Since it is Geforce Nox/game streaming, it wouldn't really be done locally on the system right?
I think it is done locally, because I can switch between the AI and basic upscaling instantly and it also supports GameStream from your own PC. According to this Nvidia PR person, the latency is only 1-2 frames:

EDIT: Embedded the tweet

sinox007

Jan 28, 2020
Its time for Super Switch Fx...

TN-298815_NVIDIA_DRIVE_PX-web_117b1112-39bf-4088-9c67-0f269d0ad256-prv.jpg

NX = N+X = Tegra x1 ( was Tegra N1 in 2015 ) + Tegra X1 or Mariko + Tegra X1. nx-abca2 ( screen, battery, cartridge ) + nx-abcb ( no screen, no battery, no cartdrige ). Imagine an Hdmi key connected on your Switch. Big volume production, double any specs ( 8Gb of Ram, 512 cuda cores @230.4, 4 A57 cpu cores @1.2ghz, disable old cpu cores, additionnal flash storage... ).

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is done locally, because I can switch between the AI and basic upscaling instantly and it also supports GameStream from your own PC. According to this Nvidia PR person, the latency is only 1-2 frames:

Can you do it when not connected to the internet with a locally ran game?

If tomb raider wasn't updated for this, it would also indicate that developers don't actually need to do anything to get the benefits of this.

Last edited:

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
Can you do it when not connected to the internet with a locally ran game?

If tomb raider wasn't updated for this, it would also indicate that developers don't actually need to do anything to get the benefits of this.
I don't have a Nvidia card to run GameStream locally, sorry. Seeing how unpopular the GeForce Now is among publishers, I doubt that any GFN games were updated for this. Also, the upscale setting is applied to all GFN games, not just some select titles. By the way, I just tried RiME on GFN briefly, and the AI upscaling works nicely for its art style; it bodes well for the Nintendo first party games (not to mention that Nvidia would train the AI on Nintendo aesthetics, if they are to add it to the Switch).

Mercury_Sagit

Aug 4, 2020

Interesting! So the latency can be as low as 16ms if the input before upscaling is in 60fps. Though tbf we don't really know how much gpu resources was consumed to perform the upscaling algorithm. At least I think this is a really good fall back case vs. DLSS when developers don't want to retroactively patch the latter into their games, or can not for technical reasons (TAA not used in rendering pipeline, for example)

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017

I suppose Nintendo could add this to every Mariko device theoretically?

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose Nintendo could add this to every Mariko device theoretically?

It uses the GPU to do it, and it's probably not that cheap performance wise. AFAIK it's only available for streaming video because the GPU isn't doing much otherwise.
You'd need extra GPU cores or some other dedicated block to do it if you wanted to do it as a console game feature.

There's also no 4K output on Nintendo's current Mariko devices so it's not that important even if it was just for video :D

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
fwd-bwd Thanks for the comparisons!
Is it possible to tweak the graphics settings on Ge Force Now games so you can eliminate anti-aliasing on the source image completely??
There's a screenshot option on Shield if you're interested in doing more comparisons, might be a hassle to extract them off the console though.
www.howtogeek.com

How to Take a Screenshot on Your Nvidia Shield TV

It’s not apparent at first, but you can take screenshots of your Android TV interface just like you can on your smartphone. If you have an Nvidia Shield TV, it’s very simple to do. Here’s how.

Last edited:

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Since it has been rumoured by VideoCardz that Nvidia's planning on launching the lineup of laptop Ampere GPUs at around CES 2021, I don't know if Nvidia's planning on announcing any updates on already announced mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) or new mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) at CES 2021. (That's if Nvidia doesn't announce any updates on already announced mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) or new mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) during the GTC Online keynote this upcoming Monday.)

And on an off-topic note, this is purportedly a picture of a laptop RTX 3070 GPU.

Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Since it has been rumoured by VideoCardz that Nvidia's planning on launching the lineup of laptop Ampere GPUs at around CES 2021, I don't know if Nvidia's planning on announcing any updates on already announced mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) or new mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) at CES 2021. (That's if Nvidia doesn't announce any updates on already announced mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) or new mobile and/or automotive SoC(s) during the GTC Online keynote this upcoming Tuesday.)

And on an off-topic note, this is purportedly a picture of a laptop RTX 3070 GPU.

Nothing really of note, Laptop variants are just standard affair that they've been doing for years now.
As for the CES comment, makes sense. During their keynotes they like to cover all their bases with updates; little bit on desktop (maybe new software), laptop updates with new Max-Q stuff, datacenter, auto, ect.
A new Tegra could fall into either GTC or CES, though a simple industrial tool (such as a Jetson) wouldnt fit in with CES, not enough prestige.

Jul 14, 2020
Nintendo hosted an investor call today and there were a few questions about a more powerful Switch.

They didn't confirm or deny anything (lack of denial could be a data point in it of itself), but it they said they are continuously developing new hardware prototypes and tech evolution is giving them more choices. Given that it's a translated call, hard to pick up nuances in tone but next gen switch is already in development and it sound like they are considering launching something more powerful to allow it to get AAA titles day & date. It wasn't clear if it will be a current-gen Pro or a Switch 2. Perhaps with perfect backwards compatibility, that distinction is now meaningless.

Again, I don't want to over sell it bc I don't have enough history with management but it sounded like something good is in the hopper. No comments on timing, obviously.

fwd-bwd

Jul 14, 2019
fwd-bwd Thanks for the comparisons!
Is it possible to tweak the graphics settings on Ge Force Now games so you can eliminate anti-aliasing on the source image completely??
There's a screenshot option on Shield if you're interested in doing more comparisons, might be a hassle to extract them off the console though.
www.howtogeek.com

How to Take a Screenshot on Your Nvidia Shield TV

It’s not apparent at first, but you can take screenshots of your Android TV interface just like you can on your smartphone. If you have an Nvidia Shield TV, it’s very simple to do. Here’s how.
That's an excellent idea. I'll try toning down AA and motion blur settings in the GFN games, and see how the upscaler performs, probably this weekend. I checked the Shield screenshot feature but it only took 1080p images not 4K, thus forcing me to use my phone to take pictures of the TV. Hmm, I may ask a couple friends if they have a 4K capture device that I can borrow.

mJay

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hosted an investor call today and there were a few questions about a more powerful Switch.

They didn't confirm or deny anything (lack of denial could be a data point in it of itself), but it they said they are continuously developing new hardware prototypes and tech evolution is giving them more choices. Given that it's a translated call, hard to pick up nuances in tone but next gen switch is already in development and it sound like they are considering launching something more powerful to allow it to get AAA titles day & date. It wasn't clear if it will be a current-gen Pro or a Switch 2. Perhaps with perfect backwards compatibility, that distinction is now meaningless.

Again, I don't want to over sell it bc I don't have enough history with management but it sounded like something good is in the hopper. No comments on timing, obviously.

Link to this?

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Nothing really of note, Laptop variants are just standard affair that they've been doing for years now.
As for the CES comment, makes sense. During their keynotes they like to cover all their bases with updates; little bit on desktop (maybe new software), laptop updates with new Max-Q stuff, datacenter, auto, ect.
A new Tegra could fall into either GTC or CES, though a simple industrial tool (such as a Jetson) wouldnt fit in with CES, not enough prestige.
Considering that Samsung's 8 nm nodes are not the most power efficient node, I wonder how close Nvidia can make the laptop Ampere GPUs be to the desktop Ampere GPUs without major thermal issues.

And aren't the Tegra SoCs released after the Tegra X2 used primarily for automotive and/or industrial use?

Freed Games

Oct 29, 2017
Austria
Considering that Samsung's 8 nm nodes are not the most power efficient node, I wonder how close Nvidia can make the laptop Ampere GPUs be to the desktop Ampere GPUs without major thermal issues.
We don't know this, as the Ampere desktop cards are clearly running over their sweetspot, as they probably felt AMD's breath in their neck.
Nobody but nVidia can say, how a low-powered ~100mm² chip is running on this node.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
And aren't the Tegra SoCs released after the Tegra X2 used primarily for automotive and/or industrial use?
Yes, but lets assume that Orin and Next are seperate SOCs. Orin is obviously the flagship for auto-industrial workloads, so if Next is the same then GTC makes more sense than CES.
However if Next was something different (like a general purpose low power chip) then perhaps theyd consider it noteworty enough to be at CES.

Apr 11, 2020

That would mean LCD screens for 2023 are still an option. Aren't Sharp and JDI two of the three Nintendo switch screen providers?

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

That would mean LCD screens for 2023 are still an option. Aren't Sharp and JDI two of the three Nintendo switch screen providers?

I believe Sharp is rumoured to provide a IGZO LCD display for a new Nintendo Switch model. And I don't believe the current Nintendo Switch model (the Tegra X1+ variant) has a IGZO LCD screen. And I don't believe Japan Display Inc provides LCD displays for Nintendo Switch anymore. I believe Japan Display Inc is focusing on OLED displays since Japan Display Inc is in serious financial trouble. Most of the current Nintendo Switch model's LCD displays come from Innolux with some coming from AUO and some coming from Japan Display Inc in 2017. I don't know about in 2018 - 2020 though.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
About that Igzo display. This is really hard to prove conclusively, but the Mariko models have screens that are made by sharp, have improved power consumption, improved brightness and improved color accuracy which are the main benefits of Igzo. It also fits the timeframe of the WSJ article.

So Im going out of a limb and say Mariko models probably have igzo screens.

Btw Sharp and Innolux are the same thing https://www.oled-info.com/sharp-and-innolux-integrate-their-display-business-focus-igzo-and-oleds

Status
Not open for further replies.