• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I am really curious wtf they are gonna announce on Thursday because with the string of shit happening over at DC, I think Zaslav could even be looking to reboot the whole damn DC pipeline if he wants to after all the announced movies are out.

What is Thursday?

I just hope Superman & Lois, Peacemaker + other Gunn projects, and Stargirl are safe.

I'm sure The Batman 2 is a lock, but I wonder about the various spin-off projects that have been announced too.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if another studio would try to buy the streaming rights to this film.
They are going to tax write off this and Scooby sequel (and probably much more), meaning those projects cannot be monetized in any way by WB, sale to other parties included.
This will be just locked in a vault and that's it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Thursday is the company's Q2 report filings where the last quarter and next quarter have to be reported on.
There are some HBO employees on Twitter saying there are rumors of a bloodbath.
youtu.be

Succession - Kendall guts Vaulter (S02e02)

We have a movie forum called worldofkj that's been around since 2004! Come visit us as we need new members!All rights belong to HBO

Edit: "Because Zaslav told me to"

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
They should just quietly drop it on hbo max even if it is poor because people are not gonna shut the hell up about this for years to come now can only imagine the petitions and twitter campaigns to come from this

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
What is Thursday?

I just hope Superman & Lois, Peacemaker + other Gunn projects, and Stargirl are safe.

I'm sure The Batman 2 is a lock, but I wonder about the various spin-off projects that have been announced too.

so far, I can only assume the Gunn projects are safe since he said Peacemaker is still moving forward on Twitter, don't know about the other show. I guess they could give them one last hurrah seasons because I just think WBD (mostly Zaslav) wants a clean slate.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
so far, I can only assume the Gunn projects are safe since he said Peacemaker is still moving forward on Twitter, don't know about the other show. I guess they could give them one last hurrah seasons because I just think WBD (mostly Zaslav) wants a clean slate.
I hope you're right about the Gunn projects, but I also don't think they'd tell him in advance if everything was going to be cancelled. Like they didn't for the Batgirl directors.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They should just quietly drop it on hbo max even if it is poor because people are not gonna shut the hell up about this for years to come now can only imagine the petitions and twitter campaigns to come from this
It's a tax write-off, it's a done deal. Legally they cannot ever profit off of the movie.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible news to wake up to this morning!

Between Keaton and Fraser, I was really looking forward to this one. Even if screenings WERE bad (which seems conflicting), it's a sunk cost. Just release it on HBO Max and move on.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I hope you're right about the Gunn projects, but I also don't think they'd tell him in advance if everything was going to be cancelled. Like they didn't for the Batgirl directors.

that's a fair point. I really don't know what to expect but I am just expecting the worst atm

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's a tax write-off, it's a done deal. Legally they cannot ever profit off of the movie.
I mean, no, none of this has happened yet. And they could conceivably change their mind, even after the tax year where they claim it has passed, if they were willing to amend and pay.

But that's all very, very unlikely.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Peacemaker was both a critical and commercial hit, I think that should be actually the safest project. I do think it will get only one more season but I am actually fine with that if they wrap it up nicely.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty garbage of them to be leaking that the test screening reactions were horrible when that doesn't seem to be the case. They are making a buisness decision and they should own it, not blame it on the cast and crew

Oct 25, 2017
They are going to tax write off this and Scooby sequel (and probably much more), meaning those projects cannot be monetized in any way by WB, sale to other parties included.
This will be just locked in a vault and that's it.
Hypothetically tomorrow couldn't Amazon/Netflix/Apple show up and offer a number better than the tax writeoff but while still realistic from them.
before its written off.
Batgirl isn't AAA tier but seems like unless the movie was absolute garbage that would be a decent grab by them.

DC going a different direction might lock Batgirl down as they might not want to blow Keaton on something they are dumping.
But seems like the Scoob thing could be a quick easy deal for one of those 3.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
That is freaking wild they'd just cut the chord and drop it like that.
Has happened before I guess, but it's extremely rare for a studio to pull something like this, I'm really curious as to everything that was going on.

Also really bummed for the directors, as a fellow Belgian I was rooting for them.
Also I just really wanted to see Brendan Fraser again :(

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I just found out Brendan Fraiser was going to be the villain in this? I'm really sad now lmao

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this going one of two ways:

Pivot back to the Justice League centric characters and soft reboot where they try to plan things more consistently going forward. Basically cancel The Flash and anything else that was going to be spun off of it. Assuming Black Adam is part of this plan going forward, and Aquaman 2 is being reshot to now include Batfleck (as has been reported). New films announced with team ups and including a recasted Flash.

Wipe the slate clean after Black Adam and Aquaman 2 release. Either growing the DCEU from the Reeves Batman film, or just start out with another character again.

My feeling is the first option, but we may not know until Black Adam and Aquaman release. They probably want to see how they perform first.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetically tomorrow couldn't Amazon/Netflix/Apple show up and offer a number better than the tax writeoff but while still realistic from them.
before its written off.
Batgirl isn't AAA tier but seems like unless the movie was absolute garbage that would be a decent grab by them.

DC going a different direction might lock Batgirl down as they might not want to blow Keaton on something they are dumping.
But seems like the Scoob thing could be a quick easy deal for one of those 3.
Don't think so, tax write off is much easier and sensible than anything else.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't make this story less sad.
Sure, I'm sure both have put all their hard work into this, and it's just getting killed without previous notice, it's terrible.

But it's not sad in the sense "this is the end of our career, we won't be able to do big films anymore", these guys will definitely find a lot of work in big blockbuster films, I'm sure of it.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
They're on the making of Ms Marvel show they just released and they are SO excited about the prospect of directing big blockbusters and it's kind of sad in hindsight.

Especially considering they dropped Beverly Hills Cop IV for this. Still, they're not going anywhere. Bad Boys For Life certainly did well enough. I can certainly see them being tapped for an MCU film at some point.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Adil and Bilall will definitely be fine. They have a new Belgian movie coming up in october too: Rebel, about western fighters in Syria getting tangled up with Isis, and I am sure BBFL and MM has given them lots of clout (+ they are probably still relatively cheap to hire).

Doesn't make it any less sad though

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Dark. As. Fuck.

Holy shit lol

Well, at least someone in Hollywood have balls to not release a bad film.
What even is this take. Are you saying that studios should invest the money into projects and then just eat the shit sandwich that pops out if they turn out to be anything other than acceptable in the end?

Are you even REMOTELY familiar with how Hollywood has worked since the industry began? lol

Below average movies and shit piles are the norm. Good movies are rare. Great movies are even rarer. Definitive movies or a genre defining experience are a once in a decade kind of thing. If studios refused to push out "bad" films then the box office would be fucking empty at least half of the time given the modern output.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I can see this going one of two ways:

Pivot back to the Justice League centric characters and soft reboot where they try to plan things more consistently going forward. Basically cancel The Flash and anything else that was going to be spun off of it. Assuming Black Adam is part of this plan going forward, and Aquaman 2 is being reshot to now include Batfleck (as has been reported). New films announced with team ups and including a recasted Flash.

Wipe the slate clean after Black Adam and Aquaman 2 release. Either growing the DCEU from the Reeves Batman film, or just start out with another character again.

My feeling is the first option, but we may not know until Black Adam and Aquaman release. They probably want to see how they perform first.

I am really thinking its the second with all the news I am reading out there. With the utter mismanagement that DC had over the AT&T days, there is so much drama around it and moving all that mean inheriting all that baggage. I just think think they will keep all that worked for them like Batman w/Pattinson, Peacemaker and Gunn shit and a few other promising projects to keep talent happy and dump all the rest for a reset.

Disney is kinda doing the same with Marvel too, keeping all the shit that worked with all the Daredevil shit coming back

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Coming from the city where this movie was filmed this headline is now incredibly funny. The council have been desperate for new revenue streams thanks to chronic financial mismanagement of the city by previous administrations, that they'd pay studios to film there.

www.glasgowlive.co.uk

Glasgow give Warner Bros £150,000 incentive to bring major feature film to city

Scenes from The Flash, Batman and Indiana Jones were recently shot in Glasgow, but this film would see Warner Bros set up a base for the duration of filming, bringing "millions of pounds to the city's economy".

I mean, it did the job of bringing in a multi-month shoot with a big crew, along with everything that came with it (hotels, catering, local employment, etc).

Funnily enough, some of The Flash was also shot in Glasgow, so there's now two DC films with uncertain futures that filmed there.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the tax write off.

If you make a 100 million dollar movie and it only makes 10 million, isn't that already a 90 million dollar loss, or tax write off? If you make a 100 million dollar movie and you never release it, that's a 100 million dollar loss or write off. But you didn't even get the 10 million, so how is that better?

And then you have long term company reputation damage from burying the movie that isn't even part of the math.

morningbus

Oct 31, 2017
Release Batgirl on YouTube. Make a separate account from the main WB one and demonetize the video.

I will not be accepting reasonable explanations for why this can't work.

Last edited:

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's weird they would shelve a comic book movie, when you look at how comics have all sorts of one shots and animated movies. Not all of em are great. They don't have to fit in a franchise. They can just be a one off thing of varying quality. Just release it you cowards. It's what comics are all about. Release it.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I am really thinking its the second with all the news I am reading out there. With the utter mismanagement that DC had over the AT&T days, there is so much drama around it and moving all that mean inheriting all that baggage. I just think think they will keep all that worked for them like Batman w/Pattinson, Peacemaker and Gunn shit and a few other promising projects to keep talent happy and dump all the rest for a reset.

Disney is kinda doing the same with Marvel too, keeping all the shit that worked with all the Daredevil shit coming back

I think it partly comes down to how invested they are growing out the DC franchise. I suppose there would be a third option of them not wanting to focus on the DC brand much beyond The Batman. Like you said, it's had so much drama over the years, they might just want to take things slower again. Basically release their current slate and be done with it beyond the occasional Batman film.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
If you make a 100 million dollar movie and it only makes 10 million, isn't that already a 90 million dollar loss, or tax write off? If you make a 100 million dollar movie and you never release it, that's a 100 million dollar loss or write off. But you didn't even get the 10 million, so how is that better?
The movie is not finished. So they're not only saving money on not having to market it, they're also saving money on not having to do post production. That's all extra costs that would have to be recouped.

Oct 27, 2017
How are bad and uninformed posts like this being posted after 28 pages when we have so many details on this story?
Probably because the movie's quality is absolutely relevant to the return they had been projecting and determining whether it was worth the cost of continuing to produce it (and market it) compared to the amount they would receive in a tax write-off.

This is especially true amidst the plentiful reports that the test showings were not well-received, so while yes it may be reductive to talk about cancelling it for it's poor quality, it is not uninformed as it's very relevant, if not central, to the cancellation as it's a key factor in the anticipated return the movie would have brought versus the cost of continuing to produce it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Probably because the movie's quality is absolutely relevant to the return they had been projecting and determining whether it was worth the cost of continuing to produce it (and market it) compared to the amount they would receive in a tax write-off.

This is especially true amidst the plentiful reports that the test showings were not well-received, so while yes it may be reductive to talk about cancelling it for it's poor quality, it is not uninformed as it's very relevant, if not central, to the cancellation as it's a key factor in the anticipated return the movie would have brought versus the cost of continuing to produce it.

I'll trust the much more reliable sources who specifically note that this decision was unrelated to the quality of the film. But thanks.

Also, there are not "plentiful" reliable sources that say the test screenings were poor.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Considering fans generally find the DCEU to be pretty low tier meh to straight up garbage, it's no wonder the new leadership are trying to just end it. Like, most people here would probably have hated Batgirl in the first place. It wasn't likely this was gonna be The Batman type film. This is probably the best move if they want to get away from the DCEU nonsense. Come back in a bit once the dust settles and properly plan it out.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, it did the job of bringing in a multi-month shoot with a big crew, along with everything that came with it (hotels, catering, local employment, etc).

Funnily enough, some of The Flash was also shot in Glasgow, so there's now two DC films with uncertain futures that filmed there.

The thing is that the council paid them despite Batman, Indiana Jones and The Flash having already filmed there. Why pay the studio to keep filming there when they're doing it anyways? It just smells of dodgy shite from my home city, but eh, its just a minor funny point for me and I won't derail further.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I'm seeing some twitter reaction from some terrible people talking about how WB Discovery "isn't bowing down to diversity." Which is exactly the message any studio DOESN'T want to send out there.

Fucking great job, WBD.

(What a goddamn shit show.)

…unless this is precisely the message that the new white asshole CEO actually wants to send out there. We have talked a lot about Leslie Grace and the crew, but Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah truly didn't fucking deserve this. Kevin Feige better get them to direct Ms. Marvel and Young Avengers in the future, their Ms. Marvel episodes were my favorites.

Also, pouch Paul Dini while they are at it. WB never deserved him.