• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Such a hypocrite and flip flops however the tide takes him.

He was a champion for the cause when HBO Max stole the cast and crew's works from theaters
Now suddenly CEO he likes "has to do whats best for their company. who cares about them, they worked on this product WB owns"
I get understanding companies do what companies do

When shit i like get canceled I'm mad but i understand why it happened (not that i support it)

But being a cheerleader and bootlicker is so weird when you don't even work for them

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Also the test screening scores came out, which showed Batgirl scoring in the 60s. That isn't incredible but hardly a disaster and in line with movies like IT and Shazam 2, the latter of which is notably costlier but critically to all of this was always budgeted and intended as a theatrical release.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Behind the Cancellation of ‘Batgirl’

The HBO Max film fell victim to a change in corporate strategy.

The article then goes on to say:
Kinda figured there's no way a movie that bad to deserve that and the fact it tested fine validate me

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I'm confused by the talk of tax write offs.

So Warner Bros/HBO will get paid in the form of a tax credit for cancelling the movie? Why? They weren't forced to cancel it, they just chose not to.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but this is a forum, you have to be ready for your opinion to be challenged, it's not really personal.
You say most people here are on a fantasy land yet you come here with this take that I'm assuming is just your opinion. The last Matrix "destroyed the brand" for you. I personally liked it more than any of the first 2 sequels, it was a great sci fi love story and a great take on remakes made for nostalgia/profit sake. The movie is deeper than it seems.
You clearly aren't thinking about the people behind these projects and think everything comes down to quality and profit. And you're probably right, and that's how Hollywood thinks, it's a business. But if movies are art than we have to look at more than that. In Batgirl you had a new superhero played by a latina woman that could inspire so many girls, regardless of the movie not being up to par with Nolan's Batman. This matters. Probably more than the end quality of the movie.
Not to speak for the poster, but I think they agree with you and were talking about how the film itself shits on the idea of making Matrix sequels. Given that Washowski was 'forced' to make the movie, I do wonder if she's breathing a sigh of relief that maybe all the fuckery has meant that there won't be a huge Matrix revival. Unless she's since changed her mind and wants to make more of these films anyway.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

So Warner Bros/HBO will get paid in the form of a tax credit for cancelling the movie? Why? They weren't forced to cancel it, they just chose not to.

because corporations have armies of lawyers who comb through every part of corporate tax law in order to find some loophole to jump through.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

They don't get a tax credit. They invested money in a project that will never be released, that makes all that money a loss. They can therefore write off that loss, which will reduce their overall tax burden and save them some money on their taxes (not anything close to the whole amount spent on Batgirl).

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Companies (and individual investors) are allowed to write off losses on their taxes.

I think it's a dumb way to motivate spending and investment, but I'm also not an economist so what do I know.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
They don't get a tax credit. They invested money in a project that will never be released, that makes all that money a loss. They can therefore write off that loss, which will reduce their overall tax burden and save them some money on their taxes (not anything close to the whole amount spent on Batgirl).

Companies (and individual investors) are allowed to write off losses on their taxes.

I think it's a dumb way to motivate spending and investment, but I'm also not an economist so what do I know.

This is a loss of their own making though.... I don't think intentional losses should be allowed to be written off in the sense that it reduces their tax burden. If the loss was through no fault of their own sure.

But thanks for the explanation.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Basically,

[The amount of taxes saved by declaring sunk costs as a loss]

is of greater value to them than

[The revenue the movie can bring in] - [the cost it would take to finish and distribute the movie] and the [negative perceived impact of the quality of the film would have on their brand]

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Basically,

[The amount of taxes saved by declaring sunk costs as a loss]

is of greater value to them than

[The revenue the movie can bring in] - [the cost it would take to finish and distribute the movie] and the [negative perceived impact of the quality of the film would have on their brand]

The first two, yes. The third remains to be seen.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is a loss of their own making though.... I don't think intentional losses should be allowed to be written off in the sense that it reduces their tax burden. If the loss was through no fault of their own sure.

The government does not have the time or resources to go through every single decision every company makes and determination how intentional a decision might be to determine if it hits some nebulous threshold for what should qualify for a tax write off under your model.

This is a very standard part of the tax code. Investors often sell stocks at their end of the year for a loss in order to reduce their tax burden, even if they believe at some point in the future a stock would recover. Companies have released products at less then opportune times in order to just get them out there, stop paying to store them, get what money they can from the market and then take a tax write off for the loss, rather then holding the product and waiting for a better time to sell.

A loss is a loss. In this specific case, since Discovery just took over WB, there are also some additional benefits related to takeovers they can call upon until the 15th of this month that make the decision even more advantageous.

kowhite

May 14, 2019

It'd be easy to argue it wasn't an intentional loss cause it wasn't...it's not like they greenlit the film with the intention of doing this, cause why would you. They're still losing a lot of money on the movie, just in theory, less than they would if they carried it through to release.

I don't know how you would argue to stop the expense deduction...studios write-off development and production spend all the time. The difference here is that the film is way further along than what is normally written off. But this can happen...probably the closest I recall is this film:

disney.fandom.com

The Shadow King

The Shadow King is a cancelled film written by Henry Selick. Initially, Disney made plans to release the project, but eventually backed out of the deal, after spending a reported $50 million on it. THE SHADOW KING is a deliciously magical tale about nine-year-old New York orphan Hap who hides...

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
His opinions on anything streaming are complete trash. He hates anything streaming right off the bat, and anyone involved in making those decisions. I dont trust him at all when it comes to stuff like this, he has a crazy bias
I don't understand why he says "putting something on streaming makes zero money", because it's pretty obvious that the upcoming and ongoing slate for each streaming service has a direct impact on subscriber retention. If Netflix announced tomorrow that they were not making anything new, just maintaining the archive of existing shows/movies, tonnes of people would unsubscribe. Selling a theatre ticket isn't the only revenue source...

Oh fuck Rebecca Front was in Batgirl? I love her stuff.

Yes she's a quiet bat person.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but this is a forum, you have to be ready for your opinion to be challenged, it's not really personal.
You say most people here are on a fantasy land yet you come here with this take that I'm assuming is just your opinion. The last Matrix "destroyed the brand" for you. I personally liked it more than any of the first 2 sequels, it was a great sci fi love story and a great take on remakes made for nostalgia/profit sake. The movie is deeper than it seems.
You clearly aren't thinking about the people behind these projects and think everything comes down to quality and profit. And you're probably right, and that's how Hollywood thinks, it's a business. But if movies are art than we have to look at more than that. In Batgirl you had a new superhero played by a latina woman that could inspire so many girls, regardless of the movie not being up to par with Nolan's Batman. This matters. Probably more than the end quality of the movie.
Thank you for this, we often forget the human element behind these films. I would change "his/her" to "their" to cover more bases, though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Kevin Feige, James Gunn and Edgar Wright Reached Out to ‘Batgirl’ Directors After Warner Bros. Axed Their Film

Kevin Feige sent his condolences after Warner Bros. shelved "Batgirl" from ever being released.

Sometimes I forget Feige is an actual person and not just a corporate robot man. I mean he just released a show with Adil and Bilal like...this past month, so it's not a huge surprise he'd check with them, but it's still nice to see Hollywood understanding what a shit deal these guys got handed. I hope to see more from them in the future - the episodes of Ms. Marvel they directed were undeniably the show's peak.

Oct 25, 2017
From one of the directors

gW86BWN.png

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see the idiot YouTubers are saying

"Glad this WOKE garbage was cancelled."

Really can't help themselves, can they?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
do we just need to threadmark the "the film tested fine comparable to Shazam it wasn't cancelled for that" article

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It'll never happen but I'd love to know what Michael Keaton thinks about just… everything relating to his return as Batman.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It'll never happen but I'd love to know what Michael Keaton thinks about just… everything relating to his return as Batman.

I kind of imagine he cares a lot less about it than most people do. As long as he gets paid he's probably fine - he's really not the kind of guy to get ultra invested in superhero stuff.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why it was cancelled? Low scores with their focus groups or something else?
Movie tested around Shazam levels at a test screening.
Official statement is that movies made for streaming do not fit their new strategy for HBO Max and DC properties, the latter being focused on tentpole theatrical releases.

We know that WBD can use the project as a tax write-off if canceled, so it's assumed that whatever expected potential profit/benefit of finishing and releasing it didn't outweigh whatever they would recoup from binning it.
do we just need to threadmark the "the film tested fine comparable to Shazam it wasn't cancelled for that" article
I mean, sure, won't stop people from ignoring it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The official explanation is that it no longer fits in with the company's vision for its release plans. The new Scooby-Doo film (also finished) was cancelled for the same reason.

Batgirl was not finished.

They finished *shooting*.

I wonder what state Scooby actually was in.

No big loss considering Scoob wasn't that good anyway.

They just put out Fantastic Beast 3 let's not act like they give any fuck about quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know why it was cancelled? Low scores with their focus groups or something else?
reactions seemed to be reportedly okay, not thrilling but not abominable. more importantly, a new exec just came in a couple months ago and decided he could get quick cash by using it as a tax writeoff, rather than by releasing it as content to support hbomax. so he did, quickly dumped straight into the trash even though it's already nearly finished. he didn't even consult the president of DC films on the decision, who almost quit on the spot over it and started consulting lawyers. the director learned about it while traveling abroad for his wedding.
the new suit is also absolutely not a fan of lower budget projects, wants to go exclusively big event theatrical, and decided that projects like batgirl are no longer on-brand and wants them all buried.

the entire industry is shocked and appalled (by this and all the other decisions he's recently made that are presumably putting legions of people out of work) and warner stock dropped 17%

I kind of imagine he cares a lot less about it than most people do. As long as he gets paid he's probably fine - he's really not the kind of guy to get ultra invested in superhero stuff.
it's a job
as an actor I'm sure he's disappointed that all the people he worked with will not get their work seen, just as a professional and a creative surely he's not happy about that like any crew member would be
but as for any attachment to the character himself, yeah i dont imagine it's all that important to him. reportedly he didn't have too much of a presence in this movie anyway, and a more meatier return elsewhere is still on the way.

Last edited:

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
Movie tested around Shazam levels at a test screening.
Official statement is that movies made for streaming do not fit their new strategy for HBO Max and DC properties, the latter being focused on tentpole theatrical releases.

We know that WBD can use the project as a tax write-off if canceled, so it's assumed that whatever expected potential profit/benefit of finishing and releasing it didn't outweigh whatever they would recoup from binning it.

I mean, sure, won't stop people from ignoring it.

But Shazam did very well! Strategy fit? Wut?

As far as a tax write off, I don't know about movie studio loopholes but in theory, it shouldn't be possible to save more money by not working than by working. That's wack!

Oct 27, 2017
I see the idiot YouTubers are saying

"Glad this WOKE garbage was cancelled."

Really can't help themselves, can they?

Well of course lol. Even if Batgirl was White they would be complaining just on the basis of the lead being female.

The one small silver lining about the advent of the Zaslav era is that if the films still suck, these idiots can't blame the "WOKE agenda" anymore.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
It's what they said 🤷‍♀️

Also Shazam was a completely different situation. Theatrical release, different strategy, different leadership...
As far as a tax write off, I don't know about movie studio loopholes but in theory, it shouldn't be possible to save more money by not working than by working. That's wack!
It's because of the WB Discovery merger, they have the ability to write off projects that were greenlit under the previous management with the available window to do so ending this month.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
No big loss considering Scoob wasn't that good anyway.
I'm not sure that's the take away here, but okay.
Batgirl was not finished.

They finished *shooting*.
That's what I meant, sorry.
I wonder what state Scooby actually was in.
According to the writer it was basically done. The animation was finished and the film was expected to be out this fall.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

kowhite

May 14, 2019

They spent a ton of money, so those are costs. Therefore it reduces their tax liability. If they carried the film through to completion and it did in fact lose as much as they think, it'd be an even bigger tax savings off the film cause they'd have even higher expenses. But they'd also lose more money. Make no mistake, they are losing money on Batgirl right now. Purchasing accounting just means though, they sweep those loses into the merger by doing it now, instead of quarterly financials in some future quarter.

This isn't really a studio loophole, it's corporate accounting. The concept could apply to any type of corporation in a post merger situation.

Now if you're arguing that expenses a company spent shouldn't be allowed to offset their revenues then...well that's a different conversation.

It's because of the WB Discovery merger, they have the ability to write off projects that were greenlit under the previous management with the available window to do so ending this month.

They can write-off pictures anytime within certain rules dictated by accounting guidance. It's more that they can write it off as part of the merger accounting instead of normal quarterly financials. Technically you could do this anytime, there just isn't a merger to shove this into.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

there's been a lot of movies released for tax write offs or to extend licensing etc

the Roger Corman Fantastic Four movie comes to mind. but i guess usually they release them and write them off that way.

i suppose it is different for streaming because there is no "box office take" -- its just whatever engagement they get from the streaming bucks, which probably isn't quantifiable monetarily except after formulas