• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
Arkham VR was based for a relatively early VR game, I'd be down for another one if it's more fleshed out.

Aug 13, 2019
giphy.gif

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
Everyone that's disappointed that it's a VR game, do keep in mind that this is subsidized by Meta. Without them funding it, the game wouldn't even exist.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Detective mode would be cool in VR. Not sure how well they'll handle the 3rd person camera and controls. It should be like Astro Bot though and let us control Batman like normal with head movement camera controls.

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
I can't even begin to explain how quickly my excitement fell after seeing the full details of this

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Arkham VR was a great experience on PSVR. Really looking forward to it. I was tempted to get the Quest 2, but the OT convinced me to get Quest 3 (Lite) and that definitely seems like the right call now.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Era on VR: "It doesn't have enough games, no killer apps!"

Era when a major game is announced for VR: "Ewwww why is VR getting that?"

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Hey, this is the same team that did Iron Man VR, this is more likely than not going to be pretty damn good.

Give me those high budget VR games baby! Few and far between.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
You guys do realize that this wouldn't exist WITHOUT Meta's funding? Like, it would be this or nothing at all.

Weird that you are complaining about this game's existence.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Same here. :(

I get that the Quest 3 is the new "generation" and it needs some exclusives to get people to upgrade, but I barely use my Quest 2 as is, and a few exclusives won't get me to upgrade anytime soon.

Maybe it'll come to PCVR eventually so I can stream it to my Quest 2 someday, otherwise I'll probably just wait a 3 or 4 years for the Quest 4.

It's really messed up to screw over your base. Consoles have figured out that BC is a big thing, I get that new gens mean exclusives… but here is the thing, I can plug my quest 2 to a PC and get all the power I need to run this game. They are locking out quest 2 owners because they want to. I'm still part of that ecosystem, I would still buy it through their store but nope I need to get the new headset that comes out every three years or so. Imagine a Pro console locking out games for the normal owners, that's what this is like.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I'm happy Meta is prepared to pay to fund VR games - even reaching licensing deals to develop titles in-house.
I cannot think of another VR device company that is doing that now.

I Wishlisted this. Excited to see more in June.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
You guys do realize that this wouldn't exist WITHOUT Meta's funding? Like, it would be this or nothing at all.

I'm okay with it existing and I'm happy for people who are excited for it and actually have the applicable hardware. But the double disappointment of Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad made even the brief possibility of a new mainline Arkham game seem like a miracle. A VR game is kind of less interesting since there already was a VR Arkham game and it wasn't super substantive the first time (even if it was sort of novel).

For a series without a mainline title in nine years, it kind of sucks that the next installment will not be played by a majority of the original audience due to how much more niche VR seems to be. I can only speak for myself and I'm totally ignorant of sales charts, but I bought an Oculus years ago and I never will buy a VR headset again - it was the most frivolous piece of hardware I have ever invested in. They could release the next installment of every premiere franchise on the Meta Quest and it still would not make VR any less cumbersome or any more fun.

BetterWorldz

Oct 27, 2017

"If VR has any hope of taking off, it needs compelling exclusives…

Wait, no, not those exclusives!"
hsfbwzh.gif

Basically. Personally I feel so lucky we live in an age where we have access to an affordable portable vr console. It goes beyond my wildest dreams as a 90s kid.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia

For real. Y'all are being dinks.

I'm less complaining about the game's overall existence and more lamenting after the double whammy of getting through Gotham Knights *and* Kill the Justice League then having my brain briefly latch onto a new Arkham game coming to a platform I currently have until finding out it's Quest 3 only. At least it being Quest means that I don't also have to get a good enough computer AND headset in order to play it but, yeah, that's where I'm at.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Wish VR games would realize its better to hit the full market than just go Quest exclusive, but I assume that has to do with Meta doing the funding or because I believe the Quests are all still Android based so porting to Steam and other VR devices might be harder?

Camoflaj are Meta 1st party. That's why it's fully exclusive.

With that said though Quest is so dominant within the VR market, that the usual prevailing logic of multiplatform development being a better business decision often doesn't apply. Quest being weaker also means lower asset requirements for visuals, and porting to more powerful devices requires effectively producing a remastered version of the same game, to reach a much smaller remaining audience.

It sucks, but it's also not really Meta's fault that the rest of the VR industry has been dropping the ball so badly year after year.

Maybe it'll come to PCVR eventually so I can stream it to my Quest 2 someday, otherwise I'll probably just wait a 3 or 4 years for the Quest 4.

It's not going to come to PCVR. Meta's in-house games never do anymore since dropping the Rift in favor of Quest.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It's not going to come to PCVR. Meta's in-house games never do anymore since dropping the Rift in favor of Quest.
Ah, guess I'll be waiting a while.

I actually still haven't gotten around to playing the first Arkham VR game yet. I own it, I just haven't gotten around to setting it up with my Quest 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Came here to post this lmao. You can't just name it the same thing as a mainline entry!!

Damn I know I just got rightfully clowned on in the Alan Wake thread for talking about not buying shit from certain launchers but damn now I'm never going to buy this if it's going to stay in their mobile store. That store just feels synonymous with everything either looking or running like shit in headset

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
This is genuinely exciting news. I anticipate this is going to be a pretty ambitious project given the studio behind it. The original Arkham VR was nifty at the time, but very much an "experience". I'm expecting more of a real game here, and it being Quest 3 exclusive they will hopefully get to push the hardware a little bit in a way we haven't seen much on Quest 3 so far.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, guess I'll be waiting a while.

I actually still haven't gotten around to playing the first Arkham VR game yet. I own it, I just haven't gotten around to setting it up with my Quest 2.

I'd expect this to be very different from the first Arkham VR game. That was more of an experimental demo during VR's infancy. Camoflaj have already done a comparatively fully featured Iron Man VR game, and based on past Meta developed titles, they seem to fund their projects really well considering the limited market (Asgards Wrath 2 is ridiculous... a 60hr open-world action RPG with a separate roguelike mode that would typically qualify as it's own game on top).

I can see Camoflaj being similar to Insomniac in terms of being largely tasked with translating superhero IP over.

Came here to post this lmao. You can't just name it the same thing as a mainline entry!!

Damn I know I just got rightfully clowned on in the Alan Wake thread for talking about not buying shit from certain launchers but damn now I'm never going to buy this if it's going to stay in their mobile store. That store just feels synonymous with everything either looking or running like shit in headset

Nah I get it.

In regards to launchers on PC I think people should really just play something they're really looking forward to wherever it launches. Perhaps pick it up during a sale, and if it hits your preferred launcher later you can grab it during a sale there too. I don't think missing out on highly anticipated games is worth it in that case.

A whole different hardware platform is a different matter though. A $500 Quest 3 to play one game is nowhere near as reasonable an option if you're not expecting to use it for much else. It also has puts actual limitations on the potential scope of a game, because it needs to be able to run off a mobile chipset.

In regards to this particular game though.. it should look a decent amount better than the games you currently associate with the Quest store. Up until now there's effectively been no games on the store that are actually made for Quest 3, rather than Quest 2. Quest 3 is quite a bit more powerful, and so games designed for it specifically should look quite a lot better. Even some games designed initially for Quest 2 look much better when given Quest 3 specific enhancements. Check out some examples by clicking through this video. In general games with graphics updated for Quest 3 tend to sit closer to their PCVR and PSVR2 counterparts than the Quest 2 version.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm never going to buy this if it's going to stay in their mobile store. That store just feels synonymous with everything either looking or running like shit in headset
Huh? Quest 3 is multiple times more powerful than Quest 2, and Arkham is being developed exclusively for it by a Meta first party studio.

You have no idea what this new generation of standalone hardware can do, but it's for damn sure going to be better than anything that Quest 2 could do.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be a shame if this doesn't take some cues from Arkham VR. Go to the max with the detective work.

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Huh? Quest 3 is multiple times more powerful than Quest 2, and Arkham is being developed exclusively for it by a Meta first party studio.

You have no idea what this new generation of standalone hardware can do, but it's for damn sure going to be better than anything that Quest 2 could do.
I'll have to check this out in a couple of years then - I buy a headset once every couple of years and am currently going through my lament period for a PSVR2 that has disappointed me lmao. I just remember being very let down by stuff like The Climb 2 as compared to the OG but I suppose that's last-gen visuals!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
"If VR has any hope of taking off, it needs compelling exclusives…

Wait, no, not those exclusives!"
hsfbwzh.gif

It's so weird. Those that like VR should be celebrating that we have a first party spending money on developing VR only games, not modes or additions to existing titles, but genuinely a made for VR game possibly with a bigger budget (by VR standards). Can't be an easy decision, with how small the market is, so most third parties avoid it, but every so often Sony and Meta do one.

Last edited: