• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I been getting back into Battlefield 1 and Hardline and both games still hold but with BF1 being better.

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
BF1 is one of the best BF games in terms of just crazy chaotic atmosphere.

If you have it on Origin already does it activate on Steam? Might just get it on Steam anyway seeing as its $5 right now...

No, major third parties like EA, Ubisoft, etc. who have their own launcher don't typically allow their games to activate on Steam or any other launcher for their newer games since those games require their launcher anyway. There are exceptions, like when Apex was added to Steam, it didn't require Origin, but Apex is an exception and not the norm. If a game contains some kind of major mp component from EA, assume Origin is required unless otherwise stated. Games like BF1 came out during a time where Origin was pretty much required for playing their games if you bought them from third party sites or services.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Overall BF1 was loved. Sure it was more "casual". But i think the hardcore crowd accepted it in the end because of the huge playerbase, best selling BF game to date and that atmosphere was great in it.

BFV just got hated on from the beginning. And it kinda never got away from it. Even when they changed things before launch.
I think most people agree that gunplay and movement wise its maybe the best BF game. Just some things didnt make it "fun" like Atrition.
Then the game had its issues also with player spotting at the start. Impossible to see sometimes players on a map background and dark rooms. All didnt help it. Big thing also. It didnt feel like WW2 in the end. Not even a skins thing. Just the maps. It didnt feel like WW2. Didnt had famous locations really also. All didnt help. It plays great still. Thats why many still play it for sure

Overall its a issue that every BF game keeps trying to reinvent the wheel. With design leads everytime who have their own idea of what is a great BF game.
Most logical thing would have been after BF1 was. Make the same but in WW2. Even more when BF1 was the best selling BF to date. But BFV was a totally different game. And when it wasnt succesfull they dropped support. Then BF2042 happened. With a totally new idea also. so thats the pattern lately.
Hope the leadership helps the game and franchise. Stop trying to follow COD. BF never will reach those heights. So stop chasing it. Make good BF games and know what makes BF games great. There is still nothing like it when its well done.
Honestly the safest move would probably be to make a sequel to BFV in Korea or Vietnam. Just copy/paste the game mechanics into a new setting.

I don't have faith that current Dice can do a modern setting justice at this point because it requires them to make something brand new (yet again).

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Had a lot of fun with it, but at some point, hackers started ruining the fun and I ended up not playing anymore

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's a great Battlefield game apart from the way DICE butchered the mechanics of Conquest. Such a boneheaded decision.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Something something, discount a really god game big enough or price them properly and you get lots and lots of sales? A lot of publishers still don't learn their lesson.

Oct 27, 2017
Granted, its the first time I've fired up BF1 in a long while but it was nice to just play an Operation and not have a completely empty lobby, since that was my experience playing BF1 whenever it was last time I played it a while ago.

Operations are so damn good.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
it's on the backlog for a reason, I will get through the campaign eventuatully. :D

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
question. does steam have it's own population for this game or does it mix with those launching from the EA app?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
and thus continues my continued confusion as to what the fandom's feelings towards BF1 is supposed to be

feels like every six months there's a switch between general opinion being "in hindsight this game did all the wrong gameplay things and should've been a warning sign" and "this was great and should've been how every other game was like"

(I mean I know it's because it depends on whether it's the casual side or the hardcore side of the fandom being more vocal that day, hence why BFV goes through a similar thing. :v)
Well you just stated the answer to your confusion at the bottom of your post.

Hardcore BF fans don't like the casual elements while the casual fans love it.

Honestly I hate the hardcore side cause they're the ones who think the game needs to be a squad based shooter with strategy and teamwork. Which is obviously dumb cause the biggest selling point of the series is the chaos and spectacle of massive battles. (Also some of them want it to be more milsim)

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I will say, going from BF4 to BF1, it really did not hold me when it first came out. Does it feel more accessible and less overwhelming now-a-days?

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Great Battlefield experience to this day. Glad to see people going back to it.

Honestly I hate the hardcore side cause they're the ones who think the game needs to be a squad based shooter with strategy and teamwork. Which is obviously dumb cause the biggest selling point of the series is the chaos and spectacle of massive battles. (Also some of them want it to be more milsim)

I love the squad/teamwork element, but I would never play a Battlefield with just close quarters combat and no crazy random shit exploding everywhere.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
I have to say, BF1 on the PS4 felt far more "next-gen" than MWII on PS5.

I say that as someone who's really enjoying the MWII campaign and gameplay.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Will this launch origin with it? Or it's standalone? Cause I own it on origin but I'd buy it again if I could just launch it from steam

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Will this launch origin with it? Or it's standalone? Cause I own it on origin but I'd buy it again if I could just launch it from steam
It will launch Origin, which will then launch the game. Same as 90% of EA games on Steam.

May as well just add the .exe as a non Steam game to get the Steam overlay working.

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020

talking about "obviously dumb"...
one thing does not exclude the other, did you ever play BF2? has more depth to it than any modern BF while being, well, a battlefield that does not want to desperately attract the CoD audience
and nobody in the community wants BF to be "mil sim", thats what PR Reality and Squad are for

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I mean, that's what the series used to be. See BF2 and BF2142. And those games weren't exactly lacking in scale or spectacle, either.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it when I played it in PS4 a few years ago. This thread is making me want to go back to it, though some posters are mentioning low player counts on PS. Hopefully it's still healthy-enough to find consistent matches, at least.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Also loved it. Just couldn't get into BFV the way I was able with this one. Might reinstall.

Also the music is soooo good.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

lol former hardcore here, and yeah squading up on voice chat, having an actual commander with an overhead map giving orders, and using tactics was and is a big part of battlefield. They reduced some of those things for the console market versions and in some cases got rid of them altogether, but that doesn't mean the tactical gameplay fundamentals are gone.

Some people like the chaos. SOME people are there for the chaos and spectacle and a casual online shooter experience like an alternative to Modern Warfare, and that's cool. I welcome those folks. But a lot of the PC players have flight sticks and headsets just for this game, and it is a milsim as far as they're concerned.

Forget the "selling points" lol. People have been playing this game for a long time.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017

I think 2042's failure proves that what the casual audience wants and expects from the series isn't that much different than want the hardcore players want from a Battlefield game. Otherwise 2042's design with its constant chaos, explosions, overly simplified vehicle gameplay and a reduced emphasis on teamwork would be much more successful than it is.

There needs to be more to the game than just spectacle and constant chaos and 2042's design and failure proves that better than anything as it's the most chaotic Battlefield has ever been and is full of those "Battlefield Moments" people love so much.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friend laughed so hard when this happened ingame.
SpryVictoriousClam-size_restricted.gif

Early BF bugs are always glorious

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9KcqQSRRI

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If I install it on Origin will I be able to play with people from Steam?

Yes. Generally speaking, for all EA games, unless otherwise specified as there can be some exceptions, EA app / Origin / Steam / EGS / any other PC storefront / Game Pass (through EA app / Origin) are all part of the exact same platform, backends wise.