Hong

Oct 30, 2017
Not impressed so far. Game looks kinda ugly to me. Way too blurry. I thought the same about BFV.

The whole loadout system doesn't make sense to me (like you can just mix and match everything?), but maybe I just need to get used to it.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
How is the series x version?
Seemed fine to me, and enjoyable. I had a hard crash in the first game when I tried to shoot a tank with an AR...but maybe that is just part of the tutorial to try and tell me not to do that!

If you read comments on here, the game is either amazing, or it's breaking into peoples homes and stealing their babies and setting their houses on fire....just a touch too much emotion from a lot of folks for my tastes.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
I mean I have a 3080ti and I had to bump down to high settings for smoother performance. Gotta imagine the full release will be a lot better, plus DLSS on top of that.
I'm using a 3080, so pretty comparable. I just wonder if DLSS will help only because BF is typically very CPU bound.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
The game can be really fun if you actually get a point you're defending constantly under attack.

WHEN that happens.

I think I'm gonna stand by the whole, this map is too big for it's own good mentality though. The capture points are great, but getting to them is a chore.

Rykane

Prophet of Truth
Nov 22, 2019
I prefer BF4's slower more grounded movement by far.
I have to agree. It seems like they've gone for the more call of duty modern warfare type style of movement. While it feels good in that game I'm not sure if I like it in a battlefield game. It's starting to feel like an apex and cod sliding fest now and I don't like that.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting killed by a variety of weapons i don't have access to. Are these bots or am I not unlocking anything? I'm not seeing anything in menus about unlocks either.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Probably best to see how the game runs at launch, but yeah I get weird utilisation too. Gotta wonder if DLSS will actually help at all
Yeah it's odd. In the more natural areas my GPU utilization is high, but in the more urban/industrial areas it drops down, it's weird.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Something about Orbital's lighting comes across as looking flat, plus transitions from indoors to outdoors can be really rough when the brightness is blinding.

Silly that they contribute to stats, because I would rather have no BOT AI at this stage given how distracting and useless they are.

Think it needs more time in the oven honestly.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I thought I would be hyped to play a new BF game after all these years (modern setting) but I played 2 rounds and then came off.

I will play more but just not super bothered right now. I most probably won't be getting it a launch anyway.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
How is the series x version?
It looks awesome but running into a ton of bugs and glitches.

- Tons of environment flicking.
- Exploded vehicle pieces stuck in the air
- Gun loadout resetting after death
- Gun loadout picking a different attachment than I suggested
- Tons of character hitching when moving fast (land based vehicles)
- General unpolish
- Sounds pretty muted and blended all together
- No ability to pull up map
Etc, etc

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah it's odd. In the more natural areas my GPU utilization is high, but in the more urban/industrial areas it drops down, it's weird.
Yeah it's a bit weird. I just dropped the res down to 720p from 1440 and it made no appreciable difference to framerate, so yeah i'm not confident that DLSS will help those looking to achieve high framerates

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like it OK, i'm going heavy on negatives because it's pretty rough and needs some work, but the potential is there.

Positives
  • FOV Slider on PS5! Yes!
  • It looks good and runs fairly well
  • loads fast, matchmakes fast, feels next gen.
  • Map I played is visually nice and well designed
  • Gunplay feels decent, I liked the kick and recoil at medium range encounters, challenging and satisfying.
  • Huge scale of combat (obviously)

Negatives
  • Audio is bad - wildly disproportionate, almost like my ears are popped. I'm not blaming Dice fully here, feels like we are at some sort of junction between traditional audio and 3d audio here, and very few people seem to get 3d audio right. Then again when I checked settings 3d audio/headphones were off... turning them ON... still bad. The audio reminded me of Vanguard beta, but probably worse. It's so weird because I remember playing Bad company multiplayer years ago and just being BLOWN AWAY by the audio. Maybe it's flawed memories / nostalgia
  • Graphical glitches like random polygons flashing up
  • Movement Feels a bit sluggish and janky. Maybe i'm just used to CODs crispness right now, which isn't 100% fair because even COD feels a bit ropey in the larger scale modes like ground war.
  • Unpolished feel/look - it just has this air of jank - buggy/flimsy rag dolls - bad/glitchy animations, makes it feel cheap and rough. Again, this reminds me of Battlefield 5. I don't remember BF1 or Battlefront 1 really having this issue to this extent.
  • The menu system isn't great, as per battefield's usual standard. It fails at the some basics of user interface, like is this toggle on or off? I switch the toggle back and forth, i have no idea, there's two elements and one is going white with a black background and one is going black with a white background. I also wasn't able to get the map up despite, trying to press every button. I press options and it gives me a useless screen where i have to press options again to get options. I can't see my score, or kills, or deaths, or at least I couldn't work it out. I shouldn't have to think this hard about the UI.
  • Every so often the screen would go CYAN filtered, must be something to do with the capture points but i hated it, stopped me in my tracks
  • The UI elements on things on the ground you can interact with (guns/ammo boxes/fallen aliens) are hilariously TINY... I was killed a few times squinting at then and leaning forward trying to see the button prompt.
  • I didn't like how when I saw who was in the server, it was mostly PC. To be honest, PC crossplay sours me on the game in general, but there was just such a higher percentage of PC than say... COD crossplay multiplayer. Maybe i was just unlucky.
If I was in charge of this game I would strip it back to basics... a small scale 8v8 multiplayer game, not to release, just to PLAY and polish and get feeling NICE and refined, and instant and low latency and crisp. Then I would scale it up. At the moment it feels like a game skating by on it's sheer scale and epicness. Take that away and it feels a bit flimsy to play as a basic FPS.

Overall, promising, definitely the core of a great game here, but a lot of issues to be ironed out before release.

Last edited:

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Think I'll go ahead and cancel my pre order. Game won't even launch I don't want to gamble away $60 when the launch is in a month and this is the state of the beta.
It's what I'm doing and I don't get why more people don't do it. You can keep your money safe and know within hours of release if the game is worth it or not, and if it looks like the beta or not. If you're into it, you can dive right into it. Depending on whether you like your games physical or digital, and the speed of your Internet connection, this only sets you back several days in the worst of cases. Preorders make no sense.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's a bit weird. I just dropped the res down to 720p from 1440 and it made no appreciable difference to framerate, so yeah i'm not confident that DLSS will help those looking to achieve high framerates
Yeah I jumped my graphics back up to Auto (all high) and the performance hit wasn't that big. If I remember correctly, BFV had some wonkiness with performance when it came out too, so hopefully this is all stuff that'll be ironed out by release.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely noticing the disadvantage against PC players. Guess because I default to mid-range when I can.

I'll give people a day to find the turn off crossplay option and then check it out.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Not sure dynamic resolution scaling is working as intended.

Seeing the same performance whether its on or off.

But I LOVE the high fidelity object amount on PC, ultra settings makes it so much easier to judge a players movements at a distance.

Does the sky flicker in series x for anyone else?

Happens on PS5 also, but not PC

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Like it so far on the ps5 and can agree with some of the points made in the thread. Looking forward to seeing the polish at launch! I think my only biggest gripe at the moment is the sound, which can sound really good one moment then hollow the next. Hard for me to articulate but I'm gonna keep playing so that I maybe can haha. Still feels fun playing as nothing but the medic and having the option to choose what I take in is a huge plus. I have gotten a bit tripped up on enemy soldiers though, not reacting fast enough to not seeing a teammate diamond.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty bad so far. The movement and audio are awful. There feels like there is no weight at all to your character and you're just sliding across the ground. Audio is usually Dice's strength but right now it straight sounds like half the sounds are missing and the overall volume is ridiculously low.
Pretty much my thoughts.

This game feels like it came from a time BEFORE BF4. It feels like an older fps.... Which is not good here .

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Yeah I jumped my graphics back up to Auto (all high) and the performance hit wasn't that big. If I remember correctly, BFV had some wonkiness with performance when it came out too, so hopefully this is all stuff that'll be ironed out by release.
This beta build is supposedly months old, so let's hope that performance optimisations have been made for launch

Toej

Aug 2, 2021
Bugs aside it's the best BF I've played since the early games. I prefer the faster movement, maps are perhaps a bit too big, glitches will get patched. Rough diamond.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It's amazing how different the experience is playing this game on PS5 vs high spec PC, just so much smoother on the console. I'm loving the experience overall but it's definitely stuttery as heck my PC (5950x, 64 gig ram, sn850, 2080) and similarly on my mates even higher specced PC, but when I jumped over to watch my brother playing on his PS5 it's just butter.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Negatives
  • Every so often the screen would go CYAN filtered, must be something to do with the capture points but i hated it, stopped me in my tracks

Think it's a really bad decision to have the friendly capped and uncapped (by all) points be so similarly coloured by default. Cyan and White, I mean c'mon.