• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain.
From Madrid here, I can't drive, so if I go to the east coast and want to go to different places (cities), do I need someone to drive me places or is the public transport good enough to get me from New York to Tree House in MA, for example.

Screaming_Gremlin

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately, there really isn't that good of public transportation options around Tree House (it isn't that close to Boston). Your best bet would be to take a train over to New Haven, then up to Springfield, MA. You would then still need to Uber/Lyft about 30 miles to get there.

On the other hand if you want to go up to Boston, you could just take the Amtrak from Grand Central. While Boston's public transportation isn't nearly as extensive as New York's, it is still decent. Between trains and Uber/Lyft, there are a lot of good places you could go. Trillium (Ft. Point), Night Shift, Aeronaut, etc. Also if you like cocktails, there is a decent place down the road from Trillium called Drink.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Boston and NYC proper are fine for walking and transit but you'd be relying on a combo of bus/train and then an expensive back and forth Uber for the final leg to places like Treehouse. And then you'd have to carry all the beer I'm sure you'd want to buy.

For Vermont you'd need a car, I doubt Uber drivers are big fans of taking people to Hill Farmstead on that busted ass road. Not sure it's even allowed.

It's like Belgium. Cantillon is super easy to get to being right in Brussels proper. Fantome, 3F, Tilquin and the Trappists not so much without a car.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
With the weather getting a little warmer out I was disappointed I couldn't find any gose in stores this summer :(

Oh well

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Alaska

I've only seen Sierra Nevada Otra Vez on shelves, but that was last summer, haven't seen it at all this year. Never seen Reubens or Anderson Valley.

Otra Vez should be all over for the summer.

Next time you're down in Seattle for an Ms game stock up on 4-packs of Reubens Gose. It's everywhere.

81q5LbbFINL._SX522_.jpg

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Ok, I'm going through SeekABrew's Alaska distribution listings...

All kettle sour beers that I know of. Some Gose, some Berlinerweisse...

Lagunitas - Aunt Sally kettle sour
Dogfish Head - Festina Peche
Great Divide - Car Camper Gose
North Coast - assorted fruit Berlinerweisses
Sierra Nevada - Otra Vez
Sixpoint - Jammer
Victory - Kiersch Gose

You also get Shelton Brothers' portfolio up there which includes all of Freigest's Gose from Germany

Freigeist | Shelton Brothers

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This year's Rusty Nail is magnificent.

Had a few Dark Lord variants last night including Handjee; pretty damn good IMO. I know the anti-hypers love to hate on these beers but I found them fairly unique.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Saw Otra Vez on the shelf today for the first time of the year in 12oz cans instead of 12oz bottles like last summer.

Oh, $17.99 for a 6 pack isn't a misprint? FUCK that lol. Now to write Sierra Nevada to see who's jacking the price up, because if it's them I can cut them out, as much as I enjoy Torpedo.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
My local got in a shipment of the BBA and coffee variant of Modern Times' Monsters Park. 15 bucks a can!! I've never had it, but it can't possibly be that good.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
review of reverence red ale with honey from viking braggot company

there is a distinct honey note that follows a relatively mild hoppiness that makes this ale slightly less refreshing and lively than i would prefer. the overall sweetness makes me feel like the beer is a touch on the syrupy side, and it loses some identity to the dullness that i feel is the overall result. it tastes good but on the whole i would call it rather boring. maybe if you dont like red ales or aggressive hops it would be a good gateway beer

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Finally picked up one of those dogfish head 120 minute ipas excited.

10.49 for one tho oof.

Edit; I suppose it's a no shit situation given the 18 to 20% abv but wow that has an insane alcohol burn for a beer.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
As someone whose taken awful everclear shots I wouldn't go that far but the initial punch is definitely a shock, honestly didn't taste like an ipa at all to me and was super sweet if anything. Glad to have tried it but definitely not going to be stockpiling barrels lol.

I'm definitely buzzed af tho lol.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've had a couple, the collab between Against the Grain and Springdale was really good.

And honestly, they don't seem all that new. They remind me a lot of old school IPAs.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
MORE LIST WARS

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/324-of-the-best-ipas-blind-tasted-and-ranked.html?p=3

Paste's are always fun and they're done blind.

Surprised at how many of the top 50 I've had. I'll put it in spoilers so as not to ruin the fun of reading the article:

50. El Segundo Mayberry IPA
45. Silver City Tropic Haze
40. Maine Another One
34. Creature Comforts Tropicalia
32. Barley Browns Occams Hazer
21. Fremont Shingletown
19. Coldfire Tangle of Tigers
14. Breakside Tallguy
13. Great Notion Space Invader
8. Trillium Scaled
2. Offshoot Relax It's Just a Hazy IPA
1. Great Notion Ripe

Screaming_Gremlin

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll have to go back and read the bigger list. Interesting that Green ended up as the top Tree House beer. Curious what other beers from them were included in the taste test. Personally, when I have done this during beer shares I have ended up with Julius as my favorite.

Also some VT beers I haven't really heard of before. I'll be up there later this year, so will have to make sure I make my way over to Four Quarters.

Edit - NM, just found it. Yeah, didn't look like they included any other TH except for Green and the rotating. Same with Trillium. Had A Street and Scaled, but no Congress St.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Edit - NM, just found it. Yeah, didn't look like they included any other TH except for Green and the rotating. Same with Trillium. Had A Street and Scaled, but no Congress St.

Breweries are only allowed to submit two beers each for all of Paste's tasting competitions, so TH chose to send Green and the rotating beer just like Trillium chose to send Scaled and A Street.

Interesting that Alchemist sent Focal Banger and nothing else.

Screaming_Gremlin

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah, missed the two beer limit. That makes a lot more sense. The breweries were probably sending what was fresh too at the time. Agreed that I am surprised that Alchemist just sent Focal instead of Heady, even if I personally prefer Focal.

Wish New England Brewing would have been included (or chosen to participate). I would be really interested to see how G-bot and Fuzzy Ducks would have ended up.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
These cans of Ripe I have just suddenly got tastier, and tradier.

Heh, I was thinking that as I saw GN post about it on their Instagram feed. I like GN and I'll happily drink their beers at the brewery when I'm in Portland, but I'm not going out of my way for cans or anything.

I was drinking some beers with the brewer at Floodland last week and we were talking about the hazy IPA movement. He was saying that a lot of these beers are so overpowered by the yeast strains to the point where you're tasting that more than the hops themselves.

Wish New England Brewing would have been included (or chosen to participate). I would be really interested to see how G-bot and Fuzzy Ducks would have ended up.

I think G-Bot was included a past IPA Blind Tasting. They're all archived on their site. This was the first one that was seriously overrun with juice.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Heh, I was thinking that as I saw GN post about it on their Instagram feed. I like GN and I'll happily drink their beers at the brewery when I'm in Portland, but I'm not going out of my way for cans or anything..

Haha yeah; we go to Portland monthly as we have friends there and other things to do. If GN is doing a release, we go, if not, our friends snag us a 4 pack of whatever.

I am not really into hazy IPAs but I do enjoy theirs.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Haha yeah; we go to Portland monthly as we have friends there and other things to do. If GN is doing a release, we go, if not, our friends snag us a 4 pack of whatever.

I am not really into hazy IPAs but I do enjoy theirs.

I like hazy IPAs enough but I don't go out of my way for them. We were talking about why Fremont's HFoD series is so terrible and we got on to the hop thing.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
MORE LIST WARS

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/07/324-of-the-best-ipas-blind-tasted-and-ranked.html?p=3

Paste's are always fun and they're done blind.

Surprised at how many of the top 50 I've had. I'll put it in spoilers so as not to ruin the fun of reading the article:

50. El Segundo Mayberry IPA
45. Silver City Tropic Haze
40. Maine Another One
34. Creature Comforts Tropicalia
32. Barley Browns Occams Hazer
21. Fremont Shingletown
19. Coldfire Tangle of Tigers
14. Breakside Tallguy
13. Great Notion Space Invader
8. Trillium Scaled
2. Offshoot Relax It's Just a Hazy IPA
1. Great Notion Ripe

Offshoot Relax doesn't surprise me much. It's pretty much a shelf turd around here but I picked one up cause I like whale sharks and wanted to see what the Bruery could do with a hazy IPA. Pillowy is exactly how I would describe it and that kind of mouthfeel is exactly what I'm looking for in a hazy.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
For 13 for a six pack the New Belgium honey orange tripel is pretty incredible and 10 % woot

Got an Odell ipa variety pack, I like their Myrcenary a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone

In Montreal for a few days and we're toying with the idea of driving down to Vermont to get some beer from Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. If I want Heady Topper do I really have to align with the delivery schedule? Am I guaranteed to get some if I go right to the brewery??

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone

In Montreal for a few days and we're toying with the idea of driving down to Vermont to get some beer from Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. If I want Heady Topper do I really have to align with the delivery schedule? Am I guaranteed to get some if I go right to the brewery??

I had no trouble at all finding Heady Topper (as well as Sip of Sunsine, etc) even without going to HF last time I was in VT. My better half's family is from Plattsburgh, NY so we took the ferry over to Burlington, VT and found plenty there. IIRC, you'd be looking at under an hour or so to get there.

Doing this from memory but I think Finnigan's was the name of the place that had an extensive local list but there were a bunch of places all along that same street.

Hermit Thrush was actually the highlight of our trip but you'd easily be tacking in another couple hours to Brattleboro.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Anyone homebrew? I don't think there's a HB thread on here is there?
What you got cooking or racked?

just did a Tombstome Pale Ale that turned out pretty good, and bottling a Imperial Red Cascade IPA on Tue.
Thinking of brewing a Coconut Porter Tue.

Oct 25, 2017
I had no trouble at all finding Heady Topper (as well as Sip of Sunsine, etc) even without going to HF last time I was in VT. My better half's family is from Plattsburgh, NY so we took the ferry over to Burlington, VT and found plenty there. IIRC, you'd be looking at under an hour or so to get there.

Doing this from memory but I think Finnigan's was the name of the place that had an extensive local list but there were a bunch of places all along that same street.

Hermit Thrush was actually the highlight of our trip but you'd easily be tacking in another couple hours to Brattleboro.
Went to Burlington and got cans of Heady Topper, Focal Banger and Sip of Sunshine! Now to find a way to get it all home to the Pacific Coast without temperature change affecting them....

We also made it to a tap house downtown where they had some Hill Farmstead (Citra, specifically). Burlington is a pretty nice little town.

Then went to Alchemist @ Stowe for a visit and tried Crusher which was really good. The moment I pulled up to the obviously new building my thought was 'fuck these guys have done well and they don't mind people knowing it'.

Beautiful drive through Stowe and up the 108 back to Quebec, too. All in all a successful day trip.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Tried New Belgium's The Hemperor, which it's touting as a "hemp pale ale", and yep, that sure does smell and taste like weed!

Anyone homebrew? I don't think there's a HB thread on here is there?
What you got cooking or racked?

just did a Tombstome Pale Ale that turned out pretty good, and bottling a Imperial Red Cascade IPA on Tue.
Thinking of brewing a Coconut Porter Tue.

I'm a member of the local homebrew club, and we brew every few months as a group, including this upcoming weekend. We're doing an Irish stout.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
IMG_3721.jpg

Floodland pick up day! Grabbed my allocation, plus I gave the brewer some old stouts he was longing for, so he gave me the two Vast Unknowables, a bottle of a wild foraged cider and rose that he made (both not shown).

Last edited:

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how wide of distribution Beechwood (Huntington Beach) gets, but their Hoppler Effect anniversary beer with worth checking out. Basically a triple IPA at 10%, but really well balanced.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Floodland pick up day! Grabbed my allocation, plus I gave the brewer some old stouts he was longing for, so he gave me the two Vast Unknowables, a bottle of a wild foraged cider and rose that he made (both not shown).

Nice, I love me some green bottles. Still no plans to distribute outside of Seattle? I noticed the website was simplified so I'm not hopeful.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Nice, I love me some green bottles. Still no plans to distribute outside of Seattle? I noticed the website was simplified so I'm not hopeful.

Adam doesn't distribute outside the brewery and I doubt that's changing any time soon. Bottle sales are mostly for Oakworks members and he's had a couple public online sales where you pick up in person on specified dates with no proxies allowed. Any kegs that show up around Seattle are personally delivered. I think there have been two down in Portland.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
Any UK beer fans in here? What's the best supermarket for a range of decent beers? Going away for a long weekend with a few other couples so will be taking a few cans/bottles (we almost had a 72 pint keg coming with us but decided against it considering we all have babies) and will go to a supermarket to stock up sometime this week. Also, any suggestions for specific beers welcomed.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
Phooey. Oh well, I should be getting some Sante Adairius stuff from a friend that moved up near the Bay Area. Possibly some Fieldwork stuff too so I'm excited for that.

Not sure how wide of distribution Beechwood (Huntington Beach) gets, but their Hoppler Effect anniversary beer with worth checking out. Basically a triple IPA at 10%, but really well balanced.

This was very good. One of the dankest beers I've had in a while and you're 100% right about the balance, pretty easy on the booze, I enjoyed it thoroughly with some co-workers.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
Went to Asda and they had quite a lot of choice and a lot in the 4 for £6 deal; then went to Morrisons and it was even better cos every beer was in the same priced deal. Ended up with 4 from Asda and 8 from Morrisons.

Go To IPA by Stone
Lagunitas 12th of Never by Lagunitas
Lawless by Purity
Fourpure Session IPA by Fourpure
Wild Gravity and Boston Tea Party by BAD Co.
All Day IPA by Founders
Little Rock IPA by Harbour
Flight Suit by DE14
Twisted Grapefruit IPA by Belhaven
Disco Forklift Truck by Drygate
Mangoes On The Run by Innis & Gunn

Roll on Friday.

(Add me as a friend on Untappd if you haven't already)

Last edited:

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I'm a member of the local homebrew club, and we brew every few months as a group, including this upcoming weekend. We're doing an Irish stout.
Brew go well?

I bottled the Imperial Red Cascade IPA and did brew a Coconut Porter. That's going to force me to get a wide mouth carboy and extra hop bag, have to toast and add at least a pound of coconut for the secondary. But that'll come in handy for all the hop additions I do. Going to do a fresh blueberry chocolate milk stout next, that'll make it easy for the puree too.