• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I LOVE this.

It has this real, amazing sense of actual exploration of something unknown. To be honest, last time I felt that was in the first Dark Souls (Below is nothing like Souls though). I also like how it doesn't really tells you much, just hints some things.

Also, traps are quite easy to see guys... Unless maybe you're playing on a TV that's quite far from you. It's perfect on PC monitor.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Absolutely loving the atmosphere, sense of discovery, soundtrack .. sublime. It's one of those games you can't stop thinking about when you're not playing it, just want to keep going back in to that world.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't know anything about this game other than a few screenshots I've seen over the years, and that's really exciting. I'm looking forward to diving in tonight.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I LOVE this.

It has this real, amazing sense of actual exploration of something unknown. To be honest, last time I felt that was in the first Dark Souls (Below is nothing like Souls though). I also like how it doesn't really tells you much, just hints some things.

Also, traps are quite easy to see guys... Unless maybe you're playing on a TV that's quite far from you. It's perfect on PC monitor.

It sucks when you're trying to retrieve your lantern and you run out of torches.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Just started playing it on Game Pass. Looking good so far. It's a very crowded tie of the year, though. I'm switching between AC Odyssey, RDR 2, and Forza Horizon 4. And now there's Below and Ashen too.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Got to the ice area and the game just kicked my ass, up to that point I was doing ok, god that area is hard, dosent help that I hadn't unlocked any shortcuts, then the game crashed on me when I went to load a new character :(

omgkitty

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
I will say given how long it took this game to come out, I didn't expect it to be quite as buggy as it is. It's nothing terrible, but I've gotten stuck behind a wall, and had the game soft lock twice now in a 4 hour period.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
The seat of the matriarch area which you need to go through for the objective is brutally hard. I've been stuck here for new days.

Genuinely questioning if I'll ever beat this bit now.

wrhwk

Oct 27, 2017
Szeged, Hungary
Aaaand now I'm stuck...
I've died on level 4. Now I'm back, or I'm past level 3. The floor key has opened a door to a small level and there's a big, locked door at the end, the kind I've opened with the lantern before. But I don't have the lantern, it's on the other side of the door... I suppose I should just die and try again?

After all these years of waiting I'm trying really hard to like this game, but I don't know how much I can take... :(

Oct 25, 2017
Roughly 2 hours in, just hit -7-, whatever or wherever that is.

I... like it? I think. It's kind of weird, to be honest; there's a sense that this game is like, I don't know, maybe a darker old-school Zelda? I actually don't have a lot of experience with the older Zelda games, but the combat here is *extremely* simplistic -- and the enemies match that simplicity. In fact, I'm not even sure, so far, if the enemies are supposed to be challenging. So far, I've died twice: once to a trap, and once to hunger. Never to an enemy.

I just opened up what I suspect is the first *big* shortcut in the game, from an area that even has
a store with a dude selling 3 items
. I like the exploration aspect of the game, and I'm pretty curious about the big question of what it is you're even doing here, and what you're looking for.

Visually, the game is great. Nailing the atmosphere. The crafting stuff so far seems simplistic and kind of tacked on (okay, I can make a ... crystal staff -- but why? It doesn't generate any more light than the lantern...). The puzzles... well, there have been some, but nothing that I think is forced on the player, most of the traversal is "Find door -> find key" in that or reverse order.

One thing I will say is that, with how many people talked about this game and were looking forward to it for so long, I do have a sense of "this is it?" as I play. I mean, I think it's a cool indie title, but so far it's not doing anything particularly special other than having some solid atmosphere. The price-point at 22 seems a tad high for what it is, so far.

Anyway, that's my take so far. Looking forward to the game evolving, hopefully.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help I'm stuck at

Im at the wreckage ships and another area with a floor key that opens to a area with a gap I cannot cross. I opened the elevator to the shipyard and a door with vines blocking the door. Help

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
This no longer sounds promising. Guess I'm saving $25 today.

Shame, I was really hyped.

Early impressions from Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/14/18141121/below-review-in-progress-xbox-one-pc

Yeah, it was a pretty easy decision after that opening scene.

Weird how polarizing it is. I feel like those saying "blah I hate this" didn't go in wanting to play this genre. So those can pretty much be thrown out.

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help I'm stuck at

Im at the wreckage ships and another area with a floor key that opens to a area with a gap I cannot cross. I opened the elevator to the shipyard and a door with vines blocking the door. Help

Based on my time there:
The wreckage area just has like a chest piece there. You want to go to the Level 2 door, go down, and use the fireplace where they run through a kind of tutorial for a storage area, then there's a room with a large monolith you need to shine your light at to move forward

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Based on my time there:
The wreckage area just has like a chest piece there. You want to go to the Level 2 door, go down, and use the fireplace where they run through a kind of tutorial for a storage area, then there's a room with a large monolith you need to shine your light at to move forward
Thanks I thought it was a gap in the floor!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cromulent Word congrats on launching the game! It looks amazing, and I will definitely check it out.

That said, now that the game is out, maybe you guys could focus on the real important stuff: making a spiritual successor to Might & Magic Clash of Heroes. :)

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Weird how polarizing it is. I feel like those saying "blah I hate this" didn't go in wanting to play this genre. So those can pretty much be thrown out.

A lot of people are playing via gamepass and probably don't have the patience or need to stick with it. For many people time is the limiting factor.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I been thinking of buying this but the bugs and crashes has me concerned? Too many games these days are shipping/releasing that are broken or have issues. How does it look/run on "X"?

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I been thinking of buying this but the bugs and crashes has me concerned? Too many games these days are shipping/releasing that are broken or have issues. How does it look/run on "X"?

I haven't had any bugs at all. It looks and runs fantastic on the X. The game is absolutely beautiful and the sound design/soundtrack is just as good.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for surviving level 4? Any crafting recipes or items that help protect from the cold?

This is a game I keep feeling the urge to press on despite the difficulty but level 4 feels like a brick wall with the brutal cold damage.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017

That seems a tad reductive. I mean, even the person you quoted said they were hyped for the game. Sometimes games don't live up to your expectations, or the game turns out to be very different than those expectations.

Me personally, I was also really excited for this game - so much so that I rushed through the last bits of Ashen to make sure I could fully devote my free time today to playing BELOW. But... I'm having trouble finding the motiviation. Just made it to level 3 after wandering around level 2 not realizing what the 'puzzle' was. Seems like some more mechanics are being intoduced, and I finally died for the first time, so we'll see where it goes from here. But at least at this point, I'm definitely surprised how much I'm having to push myself to keep playing.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017
After about ten failed attempts on level 4 I think I'm done with this. It wouldn't be so bad if you could set a checkpoint at a fire you had just warped to but you can't, you have to find the next fire or start all the way at the beginning again if you die. There are a couple of shortcuts but not enough to mitigate the tedium of having to get through much of levels 2 and 3 again.

I really want to like the game and love the lack of hand holding but it's like if someone thought it would be a good idea to make you eat and drink every 5 minutes in Dark Souls and also in Blight Town you have to warm yourself at the next fire every two minutes or you die and the next fire is hidden behind a gang of ten enemies. And if you die without a checkpoint you're right back at Firelink Shrine with no food, drink or ammo. It's too much and too time consuming for me, much as I want to like it.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So if you die, is there no way to retrieve any of the stuff you had? You have to retread all your steps to gather the lantern and other items again?

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That seems a tad reductive. I mean, even the person you quoted said they were hyped for the game. Sometimes games don't live up to your expectations, or the game turns out to be very different than those expectations.

Me personally, I was also really excited for this game - so much so that I rushed through the last bits of Ashen to make sure I could fully devote my free time today to playing BELOW. But... I'm having trouble finding the motiviation. Just made it to level 3 after wandering around level 2 not realizing what the 'puzzle' was. Seems like some more mechanics are being intoduced, and I finally died for the first time, so we'll see where it goes from here. But at least at this point, I'm definitely surprised how much I'm having to push myself to keep playing.

Maybe. But to me Below is an outlier where many don't even know what to expect. So if you like the look and jump into it, but then realize the game genre isn't one you like, saying it's a shitty game isn't really fair.

That'd be like me reviewing an NBA or CoD game. I don't like those game genres, so it's pointless to even rate them.

P.S. how are you already done with Ashen? do people really rush games that fast? wow.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Okay so if you spend 25 gems on the fire it turns blue which allows you to teleport to it from any other fire, but you can only have one blue fire at a time

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
A lot of people are playing via gamepass and probably don't have the patience or need to stick with it. For many people time is the limiting factor.

it's been about 15 hours since the game has even been out. Time is not close to a factor yet. Most people probably haven't even been able to get the game yet due to work, so that seems out of line.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe. But to me Below is an outlier where many don't even know what to expect. So if you like the look and jump into it, but then realize the game genre isn't one you like, saying it's a shitty game isn't really fair.

That'd be like me reviewing an NBA or CoD game. I don't like those game genres, so it's pointless to even rate them.

I get you, and think that's totally understandable - but I don't think that's (largely) what is happening in this thread. Most people in this thread have clearly stated they were excited/hyped for the game and are having issues with it. That isn't the same as going into a game based soley on looks, or that it's on Game Pass and then coming here to shit on it. I'd also say, most people so far aren't shitting on it - but saying that it might not be for them given what people are saying.

P.S. how are you already done with Ashen? do people really rush games that fast? wow.
I had a lot of free time of the last week or so with work being slow due to the holidays. It was also a game that really grabbed me - a lot more than I was expecting it too. I didn't really _rush_ through it either. I think I ended up with 20+ hours in it. I mentioned rushing it because I was at the final boss and having a lot of trouble defeating it , and instead of regrouping or taking a break, I kept at it so I could finish it and just play Below today.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Haven't seen any reviews from major gaming sites. Did they not get review code in time for release or another reason for the delay? Looks awesome but the lack of reviews make me nervous to pull the trigger.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The early adopter narrative around this game is going to be formed by some people who, at least on XB1, didn't pay retail price to own it. So, you'll have a lot of passers-by who will be giving an opinion that's not at all beholden to their monetary investment since it was free to try this game, for better or worse.
But you might want to buckle up because this is how a lot of people will access games in the next 5 years?

I've been anticipating this ever since it was announced but my feelings after 3h of play are still a bit mixed. I'm starting to feel that this is the type of game where you really have to dive in (especially if you already have Game Pass) and form your own opinion. The less you know before going in the better.

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours in. Layer 15 or 16, just experienced a Lua error (nice) which forced me to quit out.

I'm now in an area where you are
constantly chased by some black demon shit, and have to shine your light all around you.
Atmospherically interesting, but I'm... just not engaged by this?

I think the combat elements of this game fall flat on their face. 1) It's not very fun. 2) Dying causes you to need to walk back ... all the way back... to where you were to retrieve your items. I'm at a part where this walk takes me about 5 minutes. It's not very fun. 3) The combat isn't deep. There's not much to it, left click to attack, right click to block. That's all I've had to do, and the combat encounters aren't hard or interesting, just annoying.

It is far, far, far more fun to walk around and explore the areas in this game than it is to get bogged down by Dark Souls-ifying this thing. I mean, does literally *every* fucking game on the planet have to slavishly follow patterns set up by Dark Souls? Until people are developing games with combat and movement that rivals Dark Souls / Bloodborne, they should probably stay the fuck away from emulating the *less* desirable aspects of even those games.

Anyway, earlier impressions still stand -- I love the look of the game and exploration aspect, and am now even more curious than I was to see how things change the further I get, but rubbing up against the "rogue" parts of this game just kind of sucks the joy out of it.

corin7

Oct 27, 2017
I am really enjoying it so far, for its worth. Been playing it off and on for a couple hours and no bugs so far.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I am confused. Is this game really a roguelike? Some are talking about exploration and getting back to where they died, like if it were a soulslike game. And places that are the same for everyone, I thought this was a procedural game. Can someone explain the basic flow including deaths and what happens and what exactly is randomized?

Will this run properly on a Core 2 Duo and a 7770? Steam says minimum i3 and DX11...

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is not...I hate the artstyle of Dont Starve for one,this is nothing like it,graphics are very nice and it is not only survival either,its more exploring,finding a way to the next area and maybe some combat later,I did not meet any combat yet because I am stuck on the same floor,slowly starving because of that...

This is in an action game and Don't Starve isn't, so no.

Thanks, I've seen next to little gameplay and have avoided streams or footage today as well, should be able to dive in tomorrow. Looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere if nothing else, that music *love*

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any way to get a new lamp? I made it through the 3rd floor without finding the shortcut to it - and then promptly died on the 4th floor. Meaning I need to take the "shortcut" (which is still like 2 minutes of just walking) to the second floor, then fight down to the third, then firght through the 3rd to get to the 4th - without a lamp. I've died like 3 times now trying to make this run and it's getting to be really frustrating on top of just not being fun in the first place.

EDIT: On top of that - because of the rogue lite nature of the dungeon bits - it's always random how to get back to the spot. It seems the general direction of the rooms is set, but the way to them is always random. I might know I need to go two rooms over, and two rooms down to find the entrance to the 3rd flor - but the actual path to get there is random meaning you can't even just run through it to get back to where you died like in a normal souls game. Ugh.

Last edited:

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Yeah this game isn't great. It has some elements that are (graphics, sound, exploration) but it just doesn't really come together well. And there's no need for this to be a roguelike or whatever. Just put me back to the last bonfire.

Oct 25, 2017
I expect that a lot of people who are enjoying the more laid back exploration aspects of this game will sing a bit of a different tune once they hit like area 14-15.

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
I'm actually avoiding reading the vast majority of this thread because I don't want to get spoiled. Just wanted to chime in as well saying this game is amazing for its true sense of exploration. Just got to level 3. I have sooo many questions, but it's been a blast discovering the answers to some of them as you go along. "What does this do?" "What can this be used for?" etc.

Great work Capy!

Status
Not open for further replies.