• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Including Multiplayer for their new open-world IP is great, having more contents in/outside of traditional single-player.

If they could also add Challenge modes like Days Gone, that would be icing on the cake.

Aug 9, 2018
I don't see where the "component" in the title comes from.

I'm not a native English speaker, so correct me if I'm wrong but this is the actual wording:

This is them just confirming that this game has multiplayer and open world, no? The title makes it sound like they've confirmed that it will have a single player portion as well, which isn't in line with my understanding based on that quote.
To me it is implied. By saying "a new IP that includes multiplayer and builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone..." they are implying that there is a single player portion as well. Otherwise, why not just say "a new multiplayer IP that builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone..." if it is only a multiplayer game.

That is my understanding although I'm not a native English speaker too.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I don't see where the "component" in the title comes from.

I'm not a native English speaker, so correct me if I'm wrong but this is the actual wording:

This is them just confirming that this game has multiplayer and open world, no? The title makes it sound like they've confirmed that it will have a single player portion as well, which isn't in line with my understanding based on that quote.
If it was a new Multiplayer IP, Bend and/or SIE would have said as much like they did with Deviation Games' and Haven Studio's unannounced projects. Usually when you use the word "includes", it means it's part of said thing.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah saying 'includes multiplayer' virtually guarantees a single player component. Other you would just say a multiplayer focused open world game. For me, the wording 95% confirms that it is an SP game with an online aspect like Ghosts of Tsushima.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely gonna be GAAS of some sort, then?
Looks like it.
Not sure if it was mentioned before but based on a job's description for a Senior Staff Character Concept Artist position, Bend Studio's new IP/project may or may not have GaaS elements:

MEB6HKM_o.jpg

Source: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentglobal/jobs/4530905004

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
It's a great logo. I think Days Gone is an underappreciated game. It had it's faults when it first launched but reinstalling the game again, The game looks amazing on PS5. Can't wait for what they have next.

MartyNick

May 7, 2021
Its doesn't have any bend on the logo.

0/10
You... are so right

It's a great logo. I think Days Gone is an underappreciated game. It had it's faults when it first launched but reinstalling the game again, The game looks amazing on PS5. Can't wait for what they have next.

I love when devs deliver patches that turn the opinion !
Days Gone was maybe a mess when it came out but when I played it on my PS5, it was reaaly a great experience.
Not a perfect game but I felt the need to play again and again.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Loved Days Gone, one of my favourite games of the last generation and a terrific upgrade on PS5. Gutted they're not making a sequel but I'm all here for them making another open-world title.

To me saying "builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone" doesn't necessarily mean that they're referring to specific bits - though I'd be surprised if the technologies for hordes and weather aren't used somehow. More that as their first open-world title it's building upon all aspects whether traversal, crafting etc. I don't think it necessarily refers to bits that were unique(ish) to the game.

Personally I don't think that it's going to be a GAAS title in the sense that people associate with the phrase. I'm still expecting a strong single-player experience but with a separate multiplayer section that will be designed to have a long tail. I'm thinking something akin to Ghost of Tsushima's Legends mode but expanded to pretty much be a full fledged title rather than what is really a great addition to the single-player component. Plus it would mean that section could be sold separately from the main title.

Crazy to me that Days Gone is now over 3 years old! Hopefully means that we'll see something of the fruits of their labour at some point this year.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
To me it is implied. By saying "a new IP that includes multiplayer and builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone..." they are implying that there is a single player portion as well. Otherwise, why not just say "a new multiplayer IP that builds upon the open-world systems of Days Gone..." if it is only a multiplayer game.

That is my understanding although I'm not a native English speaker too.
If it was a new Multiplayer IP, Bend and/or SIE would have said as much like they did with Deviation Games' and Haven Studio's unannounced projects. Usually when you use the word "includes", it means it's part of said thing.
Then maybe I'm not correctly understanding the wording.

Cause I thought they meant it includes MP and open world, and that's all they are confirming atm. If they had said "it includes a MP component" or "it has some MP features" then I that would've meant that it has a single player portion as well, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Looking at that job listing posted above makes me even more curious that it might be a MP/GaaS focused game tho.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Then maybe I'm not correctly understanding the wording.

Cause I thought they meant it includes MP and open world, and that's all they are confirming atm. If they had said "it includes a MP component" or "it has some MP features" then I that would've meant that it has a single player portion as well, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Looking at that job listing posted above makes me even more curious that it might be a MP/GaaS focused game tho.

Nah. In that case they would say an open woeld game with a multiplayer focus. Includes an open world doesnt make sense, the includes relates to the multiplayer and the wording implies that is in addition to an sp component.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
hopefully Syphon Filter related lol
I've been wanting a new Syphon Filter so bad.

Really surprised Sony/Bend doesn't bring it back. I feel like it would be huge. Not a lot of games in the spy genre like there were back in the day.

Either way, Bend studios rarely disappoint, so looking forward to whatever they come up with.