• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There are already big voting blocks in the Democratic party that are sketchy on LGBTQ rights. No one here is going to forsake their votes. If this brings more people into the fold, then I'm all for it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defeating Trump is literally the only thing that matters.

Four more years of this insanity, especially if the GOP retakes the House, is magnitudes more destructive than any retweet.

Can't believe that isn't obvious.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a small collection of quotes for those of you saying "A Rogan retweet isn't a big deal"

"We're in this weird fantasy world right now where people want to be so progressive and they want to be so open-minded and they don't want to be transphobic. So we're letting people say and do absolutely preposterous things," .... "But you're competing against women? You can go f— yourself,"

"'So I look at the iPhone app and it says, take me to this [movie theater]. The guy goes, "OK,", I go, "is that in a good neighbourhood?" He says, "yeah, yeah, yeah," he barely speaks English.

'He takes us there, we get out and we're giggling, "Oh, we're going to see Plant of the Apes." We walk into Planet of the Apes… we walked into Africa, dude. 'We walked in the door and there was no white people.' "

Yes, good takes all around.

Clearly, Rogan is just experiencing a case of economic anxiety.

I don't think I could be even more less enthusiastic about the Democratic candidates this year. Are Biden and Sanders the best we could do?

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't as all of those things are demonstrably true? I mean do we need to bring up the Pow Wow Chow receipts (in which she also plagiarized all of the content she contributed?)
Yes what Warren did was the exact same as knowingly dressing yourself in black face and claiming to be Trans Racial.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a sad reminder as to why the left stay losing.
It's definitely easy to become disillusioned when I like listening to Joe Rogan (I only listen to episodes with guests I'd find interesting, recently that'd include the Black Keys, RDJ, Ed Norton, Josh Homme, Snowden, etc.) - and people in this thread would label me as a terrible person or a racist, when I'm certainly not either of those things. I just find Joe has good guests on, and the conversations often come across like a conversation between friends, and Joe often asks the questions that I would want to ask - so they're usually great. The Black Keys episode was centered around their take on the music industry, and it was super insightful.

Oct 27, 2017
You think Trump will win either way?

I genuinely believe only Bernie can win because of his cantankerous nature when it comes to 1 on 1 versus Trump.

This is what the Republicans want. Bernie and Warren are the perfect setup for Trump. They want them to be the front runners for the Dems because they know it's the easiest fight for Trump there's no way around that fact. I agree Bernie and Warren's message is more important but for this future of the election and presidency it's a terrible lie to the people that support them and believe otherwise.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just keep denouncing the takes and acting incredulous. Maybe it would help if you actually explain to them why they are wrong.

(I'm not endorsing their takes. Just saying that repeatedly acting shocked at what they are saying isn't actually doing anything)
If you check out the "AOC says the Democratic party is centrist" thread, every other post is an official Take Review lol

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can see the real split in this thread between those who live in the real world and those living in the internet bubble, and this place is a fucking bubble.

Joe "A chimpanzee can rip your face off" Rogan has the most popular podcast in the English speaking world, and people talking about how it's bad Bernie is giving him legitimacy? It's the other way around. NYT times and the rest sure won't give Bernie legitimacy to the general public.

I really hope we do get Bernie versus Trump because it's your only chance.
Again, like.. LeBron James is one of the most popular and well-known basketball players.

He endorsed Hillary and even campaigned for her in Ohio.

Fuck difference that made.

Same with all the other endorsements Clinton got, including from a lot of "moderate"/traditionally Republican newspapers. Didn't make a difference. Trump still got the votes of the people that read those things.

There's just no evidence, whether individually or in aggregate, that political endorsements from anyone, whether it's celebrities, newspapers, actors, actresses, athletes, or podcast hosts matter one way or the other.

What is known, on the other hand, is that Rogan is a racist and transphobe.

That he did shit like compare black people to apes. Like, direct, unabashed racism.

That THAT is the kind of person Rogan is.

I'd rather candidates, like... they don't necessarily have to call people like that out, but at the very least stay the fuck away from them.

Because that's the thing: there's no evidence endorsement matters. That no one, and I repeat, no one is going to vote because of Rogan.

Just like they didn't because of LeBron James.

Just like they didn't because of the New York Times or Washington Post.

Just like they didn't because of local newspapers.

That just isn't how people vote.

And like, a whole lot of these arguments seem rather predicated on that not being the case, on Rogan actually being able to "reach people."

But from where I'm sitting, I'm like... where's the evidence? I wanna see the receipts. Where's the actual evidence of this endorsement being "different"? Where's the evidence of, regardless of his follower count, regardless of his amount of subscribers or listeners or whatever, of people giving more of a single fuck of his thoughts on who to vote for President than they do LeBron James?

Because if they don't, and I haven't begun to seen people give any more evidence of this than just his numbers which is not evidence in the least more so than like NYT own subscriber numbers or the amount of people that tune in to watch LeBron play, if people don't care, then we're right back to Rogan really not being a good person, and so, if that's what we're left with... Well, it should be pretty easy to surmise my feelings from there.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes what Warren did was the exact same as knowingly dressing yourself in black face and claiming to be Trans Racial.

giphy.gif
I never said she dressed in black face and I never said she "claimed to be trans racial" wtf
I said she pretended to be a different race, as in writing down Native American on forms, giving media anecdotes about her grandpa's "high cheekbones" proving her heritage, and doubling down on this even after her DNA test proved it all to be completely false in a botched campaign kickoff. I never said any of the stuff you said but what actually happened is bad, you don't need to make things up.

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

she knowingly lied and misrepresented her race and heritage. everyone has their standards and limits, and to me thats something i can't abide by. i don't really intend on having a discussion about the severity of it or whether it kills her chances for the general public, or whether its a right talking point or anything.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said she dressed in black face and I never said she "claimed to be trans racial" wtf
I said she pretended to be a different race, as in writing down Native American on forms, giving media anecdotes about her grandpa's "high cheekbones" proving her heritage, and doubling down on this even after her DNA test proved it all to be completely false in a botched campaign kickoff. I never said any of the stuff you said but what actually happened is bad, you don't need to make things up.
What Warren did and what Rachael did are two completely different things.

And saying that makes her bad or morally the same as an actual racist or Joe Rogan is shameful.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
she knowingly lied and misrepresented her race and heritage. everyone has their standards and limits, and to me thats something i can't abide by. i don't really intend on having a discussion about the severity of it or whether it kills her chances for the general public, or whether its a right talking point or anything.
Well then hopefully you aren't defending Joe Rogan or Bernie retweeting him.

Oct 27, 2017
You can see the real split in this thread between those who live in the real world and those living in the internet bubble, and this place is a fucking bubble.

Yep, the marginalized people who have voiced their concerns in this thread live in an internet bubble. Holy fuck, listen to yourself. Just the opposite, in fact. Some people are fucking shitting all over themselves and bathing in their privilege in this thread while handwaving away takes they're not interested in shutting up and listening to.

The issue is not with Bernie getting the endorsement of Joe Rogan. The problem is allowing Joe Rogan's bigotry and hateful views to go unchallenged and accepting his support without calling it out and making it clear that it has no place in this party. Political expediency isn't something new and getting people to vote for you is a good thing; the thing is, those people are not voting because they're behind Sanders' policies. They're voting because the daddy of their straight white male angst is an influential voice to them and they'll do whatever he tells them to.

Even worse, there are numerous people in this thread that argued the fact that Joe Rogan isn't as bad as he actually is while completely glossing over the fact he called an entire theater of black people the "Planet of the Apes" and constantly engages in transphobic and homophobic slander. You do you.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This is how we win, whether you guys like it or not. The other candidates know this since THEY all tried to do what Bernie did. It's a valuable endorsement, way more so than NYTimes.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Again, like.. LeBron James is one of the most popular and well-known basketball players.

Same with all the other endorsements Clinton got, including from a lot of "moderate"/traditionally Republican newspapers. Didn't make a difference. Trump still got the votes of the people that read those things.

There's just no evidence, whether individually or in aggregate, that political endorsements from anyone, whether it's celebrities, newspapers, actors, actresses, athletes, or podcast hosts matter one way or the other.

That he did shit like compare black people to apes. Like, direct, unabashed racism.

I'd rather candidates, like... they don't necessarily have to call people like that out, but at the very least stay the fuck away from them.

Because that's the thing: there's no evidence endorsement matters. That no one, and I repeat, no one is going to vote because of Rogan.

And like, a whole lot of these arguments seem rather predicated on that not being the case, on Rogan actually being able to "reach people."

But from where I'm sitting, I'm like... where's the evidence? I wanna see the receipts. Where's the actual evidence of this endorsement being "different"? Where's the evidence of, regardless of his follower count, regardless of his amount of subscribers or listeners or whatever, of people giving more of a single fuck of his thoughts on who to vote for President than they do LeBron James?

Because if they don't, and I haven't begun to seen people give any more evidence of this than just his numbers which is not evidence in the least more so than like NYT own subscriber numbers or the amount of people that tune in to watch LeBron play, if people don't care, then we're right back to Rogan really not being a good person, and so, if that's what we're left with... Well, it should be pretty easy to surmise my feelings from there.
I don't wanna jump into the middle of this shit thread, but that's not necessarily true about endorsements not mattering.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Why are you comparing a man who plays basketball to someone who hosts a long form podcast that often covers culture and politics in a way that average people can connect with?

Not only that but Bernie was on the podcast directly talking about his policies/politics so that was literally heard by the audience, so regardless of whether they agreed or not it's clear this is like comparing apples to oranges.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk.

What is the real difference between this and the signal boosting of Never Trump figures to this day who have done far more to hurt marginalized communities than Rogan ever will?

We just had most of this board in a tizzy about the endorsement of a newspaper that's published two pieces signal boosting white supremacy in recent months.

Deleted member 6122

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said she pulled a Rachel Dolezal!
You're confusing me with someone else in this thread, go check my post history seriously. If you want to defend Warren defend what she did don't make things up and try to work an argument around how she isn't as bad as this other worse person who again, I didn't compare her to.

Oct 27, 2017
This is how we win, whether you guys like it or not. The other candidates know this since THEY all tried to do what Bernie did. It's a valuable endorsement, way more so than NYTimes.

So how can Bernie fans get upset at Pete, Biden or Clinton for palling around with CHUDs if that's, "just what you have to do to win"?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm not sure why this keeps getting thrown around.

In trash them just as much. They have a bedbug on the team!

The reason why I did was because the people complaining loudest here had no issue with Warren accepting their endorsement e.g. (rightly) criticising Joe for supporting the IDW whilst ignoring the fact the NYT created it and did it's best to normalise them. I have zero issues with anybody holding both candidates to the same standard.

So how can Bernie fans get upset at Pete, Biden or Clinton for palling around with CHUDs if that's, "just what you have to do to win"?

Because policy and history is kind of important in politics? Bernie's not saying Joe's his VP? Nor is he friends with Joe.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump has a very likely chance of winning reelection. To ignore an impressionable and numerous demographic of voters just screams foolishness to me.

So you'd prefer a Trump victory then?

It's fucking so stupid and such a blatant fallacy that you're presenting this situation as "SO YOU WANT TRUMP TO WIN HUH??" when all Sanders had to do was not fucking signal boost an endorsement from Rogan.

You're not fucking slick, nobody in this thread is fooling anyone.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I just find it funny that purity only matters when someone is against Bernie but as soon as it's to Bernie's benefit purity no longer matters as it is all about whataboutisms.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Weren't you the one making the argument that this whole Rogan thing doesn't matter because it doesn't affect any of Sanders' own stances on various issues, that it's not like Sanders changed his position on anything, and that's why this doesn't matter?

So what, hypothetically, would be the difference if someone like say David Duke did endorse Sanders and Sanders accepted his endorsement. As long as Sanders didn't actually compromise his stances on any issues, under your own logic, what would be the problem with that? What exactly is the difference between accepting an endorsement from Joe Rogan and one from David Duke, in your mind?

Because as you yourself said, it doesn't matter unless Sanders actually compromises his position on any issues because of it, right/ That was your positon?

Because by the sounds of things, when it comes to one racist, aka David Duke, you realize that there would be more to it and that even if Sanders were to not in any way change his position on any issues as a result of that, it still would not be very cool to accept the endorsement of such an individual.

But yet for Rogan it is different? So what is the difference exactly?

Because it sounds like you're very close to realizing there's more to this than just whether it not this stuff affects Sanders policy positions, but you're only applying that for some people and not others and I'm curious as to why, since this is different to what you said to me earlier in the thread. What's the difference then because certainly this logic of "becoming more sympathetic to a progressive platform" would apply just as much to a hypothetical David Duke endorsement, that you could make the same hypothetical argument to defend it, use the exact same logic, but yet for some reason you nonetheless feel differently and that that wouldn't be the case/wouldn't be good enough for one, but is for the other. Why is that then?

If he advertised a David Duke endorsement, I'd feel gross.

If David Duke decided to vote for a Jewish dude who says immigrants are great, is that not a good thing though?

Edit: Not in a "I want David Duke's vote" way but in a "By some miracle he made David Duke stop being David Duke" way

So you and a few others attacked me for daring to say "I'll vote for Biden or Warren or anybody and "maybe" they'll drone strike but we'll get all this progressive stuff done.

And your big brain take is "let's use swamp nazi's and alt right shitheads as a reliable voting block to beat trump. Smash that subscribe button!"

giphy.gif

Yeah that's just what I said lmao get the fuck out of here

Joe is left leaning and acknowledges man made climate change. I would bet there is more overlap between the Joe Rogan Podcast fans and Bernie supporters than most here would think. It seems odd to me that so many here think Joe is some Trump supporting conservative. I admit, I only listen to the episodes with guests I want to hear from, but I can't recall Joe saying a positive thing about Trump. If anything he seems blown away by the fact that Trumps incoherent babbling gets people excited.

Just because he smokes weed doesn't make him left leaning. (See: Bill Maher)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
Joe "I am calling a room full of black people 'Planet of the Apes' " Rogan?

Funny how margalized people go right under the bus at a moments notice. David Duke has a large fanbase, I guess his endorsement would be fine as well?
Let's be real: if the Democratic base was largely comprised of any other ethnicity besides black Americans people wouldn't be so willing to throw them under the bus.

newdivide

Oct 7, 2019
As an European fellow that listens to Rogan pretty often, I didn't know at all that the opinion here of him was so negative. I think I didn't read a single positive comment lol. Why so many hate? He brings pretty interesting people and I find his personality enjoyable.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna jump into the middle of this shit thread, but that's not necessarily true about endorsements not mattering.
Haven't read that, but just seeing AOC's name is in of itself interesting right off the bat.

Because speaking of her, she certainly did not have the backing of the "establishment." She wasn't the one raking in the endorsements. That's, like, the whole story of her race.

She won anyway. And like, in the aftermath of her win, that was like, getting people to question how much stuff like that mattered one way or the other versus just like, y'know, being in touch with your constituents concerns and being in touch with them and stuff. That's what immediately comes to mind for me, which is something I forgot to talk about 'til now. That she herself is a perfect case in point.

So to suddenly turn that around... That the opinions of members of Congress didn't matter for AOC's own congressional race, but now that she's a member of Congress herself AOC's own endorsement matters when it comes to that of people like Sanders in a way all the congressional endorsements for her opponent in her own race didn't... Like, I haven't read it yet, I admit, but I'm immediately skeptical from the word "go," y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.