• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't know Tulsi got such an endorsement because I don't fucking like her. Only cements my opinion of her if she took it.

Again, it was never about Bernie accepting an endorsement from a white nationalist. It was saying that if a prominent racist ever endorsed Bernie during a primary, his fans would not care because A) Any vote is a good vote no matter the source, and B) Bernie's fans will easily insist that racism is magically solved by economic justice in the first place, ergo any issues with a racist endorsing him will automatically smooth out upon his election.

Again, a lot of this thread is devious as fuck, and especially so considering the only bigotry that apparently moves the needle among his fans is the perception of bigotry towards Bernie's Jewish identity. But black people, women, and LGBT people? Get the fuck in line regardless of to what extent your dignity suffers.
Even Tulsi knew to disavow that one.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell yes his content does show that. Because if he is anything like most content creators he's going to cater to his audience and if his audience is mostly conservatives then I would assume that he would have a lot more people like Alex Jones and Ben Shapiro. But instead his guest list is fairly spread out across the political spectrumas far as I can tell. Which to me says it has a much more varied audience than what people assume. That still doesn't change the fact that he uses his podcast to provide legitimacy to people who do not deserve it and it also doesn't change the fact that Joe Rogan himself is a loathsome piece of crap but it does tell me something about his audience in my opinion.
Well said, similar to how I feel.

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell yes his content does show that. Because if he is anything like most content creators he's going to cater to his audience and if his audience is mostly conservatives then I would assume that he would have a lot more people like Alex Jones and Ben Shapiro. But instead his guest list is fairly spread out across the political spectrumas far as I can tell. Which to me says it has a much more varied audience than what people assume. That still doesn't change the fact that he uses his podcast to provide legitimacy to people who do not deserve it and it also doesn't change the fact that Joe Rogan himself is a loathsome piece of crap but it does tell me something about his audience in my opinion.

I mean, we can look at Dave Rubin too who tries less successfully to do the same thing, featuring guests from both sides of the aisle. The thing that needs to be looked at is whether he does so in a balanced way, or whether the way he handles his guests is similar to Rubin, where he is more prone to question and criticize people on the left and more likely to defend and agree with people on the right.

Oct 27, 2017
If Michael Bloomberg endorsed our candidate tomorrow we would take it, and wouldn't give an inch in our views. I don't see why he would, but we would take it. As long as it doesn't change what the candidate stands for (in this case trans people in the hypothetical taxation / regulation) I wouldnt have a problem with it. If Bernie, for instance started talking about how M4A no longer would cover reassignment, or hormone replacement after Rogans endorsement I would be freaking out as much as anyone.
Okay, that's great. Now can we deal with Bernie's privileged voters telling black people and other marginalized groups to wait their turn shut up and be quiet while we expand the tent and welcome in deplorables without being interested in rehabilitating their views and creating reliable democratic voters for the future? We've been sold down this river before and the fact that so many in this thread, and others, are silencing our concerns and talking over us is pretty disgusting.

As has been stated numerous times, elections have consequences and the top of the ticket is inconsequential compared to down ballot races at the state and municipal level where more important legislation is enacted and has a more immediate effect on a lot of people. Joe Rogan's cishet white voters angry at "political correctness" aren't subscribing to progressive policies because of this endorsement, it does nothing to change their ignorant bigoted ideology so how exactly is welcoming them into the fold actually pushing anything forward? How is it making Bernie's voters realize there is a separation between economic and racial justice?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Don't excuse people who praise Islamophobic comments.
Perhaps my interpretation of the comment was different than yours. I didn't see it as Islamaphobic or excusing the fact that John McCain's "defense" could be seen in that manner by others.

As I said though, considering a large part of my family are Muslim, I'm as aware of you as the thinly veiled Islamophobia that gets a pass on this site. Just didn't appreciate being lumped in.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This is all undermining the fact that Democrats outnumber Republicans anyway. In a race between energized Democrats and energized Republicans, we just win by default.

I'd be willing to bet one of my Lucio hats you could get more people on board with trying to break down systemic barriers to voting than by going on Joe Rogan.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
When I think Bernie Sanders, I think "racism first". Listen to yourself.

He has the biggest cohort of POC support of any candidate BTW. I recognize how inconvenient this is for your narrative but contend with it you must. Should I follow the example of 65+ oldsters and vote Biden? Rich white professionals and vote Pete or Warren? Or young POC and vote Bernie? Think about what cohort you share the most in common with.
Is this a reading comprehension issue or are you just intentionally being disingenuous?

He is courting a demographic proven to have a widespread preference for socially conservative red meat. I posed the obvious (rhetorical) question. Obviously he isn't, but if not what good does it do to court them only to ultimately be rejected in favor of Trump who will?

It's a play for the margins of an electorate he gets nothing from unless he wins the nom, and undermines in similar ways his ability to get the nom.

Oct 27, 2017
Stop twisting what I'm saying. Joe Rogan being a bigot is not evidence a large section of his audience would never vote Bernie.
What is the point in them voting for the top of a ticket, holding onto their bigoted views and doing it in spite of being intolerant bigots who aren't going to vote for other Democrats up and down the ticket?

Again, what's the fucking end game here? How are any helpful policies and legislation going to be passed and enacted if these people are not actually being rehabilitated and ideologically course corrected?

Bernie could do so much good here by actually having gone on the podcast and actually, you know, challenging the shit Joe Rogan subscribes to and espouses to his army of cishet fragile white males. Did he do that? No. Could have challenged Rogan's racism, homophobia and transphobia. Did he do that? No.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Bernie could do so much good here by actually having gone on the podcast and actually, you know, challenging the shit Joe Rogan subscribes to and espouses to his army of cishet fragile white males. Did he do that? No. Could have challenged Rogan's racism, homophobia and transphobia. Did he do that? No.
Would you mind being specific about the "so much good" Bernie could have done by going directly at Rogan on his show? It would certainly please his base, but that group of people is unshakeable regardless. How would his campaign have benefitted from directly dressing down Rogan, an influential celebrity with a huge dedicated following, for his bigotry?

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, really dislike this treating LGBT folks and people of color as a monolith on this issue when they're as divided too.

Yep, sitting here as a Black and Hispanic guy reading others continually refer to people who feel differently on the matter as white is just ridiculous and unnecessary. I understand that others have their opinions, but folks are generally divided on this based on what I've seen.

Or the continued assumptions that if you're not as fussed with this, you're a diehard Bernie supporter.

Dec 12, 2017
Would you mind being specific about the "so much good" Bernie could have done by going directly at Rogan on his show? It would certainly please his base, but that group of people is unshakeable regardless. How would his campaign have benefitted from directly dressing down Rogan, an influential celebrity with a huge dedicated following, for his bigotry?
You're honestly asking why Bernie shouldn't take a bigot to task for his bigotry??

If his alt-right supporters are unshakeable in their beliefs then what makes you think they'll vote for Bernie? Why bother trying to get their vote??

If this was Warren or Biden, people would go through roof.

Last edited:

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda curious about this changing views of the people you're getting theory to make them a dem voting bloc in the future. In this theory the bloc you're trying to win back are probably Obama-Trump voters and maybe Obama-Romney voters.

Of course, in the first place, these voters had voted for Obama. I remember at the time a lot of people thinking racism was solved because Obama was voted in so overwhelmingly, that the Republican party was going to be gone for a generation, etc. But... obviously none of that happened. I suppose the next part of the theory would go into Obama not delivering transformational change, but if you think a Bernie presidency with, on the upper end rosy projection for any candidate, 51 Senators is going to be getting transformational change...? That's also assuming the theory the only reason there was backlash from Obama is the lack of fundamentally changing the system with a 60 vote majority for less than a year is correct.

Why does anyone think these voters are gonna be sticking around and that they're interested in Bernie for the reasons they think they are?

Zasa

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously, what is their campaign staff thinking? Why are they so desperate on doubling down on this?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

When I think « human trafficking », helping undocumented workers find work in the US isn't the first thing that comes to mind, but this source isn't really giving me more context here, almost makes it sound as if it was consensual on the part of the smugglees here, no?

Don't know thst guy or his channel, but saying we shouldn't trust his views because he is guilty of human trafficking based on this source is pretty insane? What am I missing here?

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
okay and Bernie is far from perfect with that. So why defend him?
Because Bernie or Liz's politics are the only acceptable way forward imo. The "Bernie is racist" macguffin is nonsense to me. I don't get why people are causing a stink about Bernie's racism when our other options, besides Warren, are more racist and did more damage to Black folks.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Centrists: we should court reasonable republicans!

also centrists: Bernie is the devil for gathering independents.
The "reasonable republicans" are non-social conservative Rs horrified by Trump and the "independents" are racists who want to expand government services to themselves while denying them to other groups.

That you think these things are actually contradictory says nothing about the people you're trying to mock and everything about you.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
This is all undermining the fact that Democrats outnumber Republicans anyway. In a race between energized Democrats and energized Republicans, we just win by default.

I'd be willing to bet one of my Lucio hats you could get more people on board with trying to break down systemic barriers to voting than by going on Joe Rogan.

Good luck with that

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
god i fucking hate podcasts

WELL god speed bernie if this move doesn't pan out at least you're entirely to blame for it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I think « human trafficking », helping undocumented workers find work in the US isn't the first thing that comes to mind, but this source isn't really giving me more context here, almost makes it sound as if it was consensual on the part of the smugglees here, no?
This wasn't what you'd immediately assume given the location- standard issue border crossing stuff. The people being brought in here were being brought in from Russia/Eastern Europe.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally no one is saying that.
Literally been said in this thread if you read through it.

People actually had the audacity to say that courting these people was more important than the issues affecting marginalized communities and once they're welcomed into the fold we can worry about the aforementioned issues. Sold down the river.

If they're unshakable, what is the point in courting them? To get Bernie Sanders elected? How does this help progressive policies advance if these "unshakable" bigots aren't going to vote for democratic candidates up and down the ticket. These are the people who actually have the power of getting policy enacted. Bernie can't do it on his own or with the stroke of a pen.

So how does the Democratic party benefit from welcoming these people in if they're voting for a man (because a man whose hateful rhetoric and bigotry they idolize tells them to) and not actually his ideas? How do marginalized groups benefit when we're just handwaving away their bigotry and dealing with it as a necessary evil to be swept under the rug? It makes absolutely no sense. The end game here is inherently flawed and poorly thought out.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
The "reasonable republicans" are non-social conservative Rs horrified by Trump and the "independents" are racists who want to expand government services to themselves while denying them to other groups.

That you think these things are actually contradictory says nothing about the people you're trying to mock and everything about you.

Okay.
I think by not pushing for the candidate that has the best healthcare policy for the trans community it says everything I need to know about you.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what is their campaign staff thinking? Why are they so desperate on doubling down on this?

Bernie has surrounded himself with some really questionable people in my opinion at least in the sense that they make shitty choices from time to time. Them doubling down on this isn't surprising.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

How does this square with how allegedly every other Dem candidate tried to get booked on his show? It seems like their campaigns did the calculus on this and made the opposite conclusion.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This entire thread has been dismissing the grievances of Joe Rogan's racism and transphobia because the potential votes of the apathetic white men who listen to him are more important.
Understanding why Bernie decided to capitalize on the endorsement is not the same as agreeing with it or dismissing who and what Rogan is. You can say that it was a politically advantageous move while also acknowledging that Rogan is trash. Most people in here obviously understand who and what Rogan is. They just also understand who and what Bernie is. And Bernie is a politician. He would have been a fool not to capitalize on this attention. But as I have said many times it doesn't make it okay.

Understanding the decision is not the same as supporting the decision though. But I do get there have been people defending Rogan himself in here early on, but I also don't know if they were aware of his past comments. If they were aware and still defended him then yeah that's obviously bullshit, but most people I have seen are understanding that it was a good political move, but also still think Rogan is a trash can. So you and others can't just throw everyone in here under the same bus.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'm going to be really upset if this leads to Biden getting the nom

Yep. All because X candidate can't pass some ridiculous purity test with nothing less than a perfect score.

Sure, Rogan can be a dick, but if he can help Bernie (or any progressive) at the grass roots level, then let it be. Learn to pick your battles folks. Let's get this W against Trump. Nothing else matters for now. We can't make any meaningful steps forward unless we achieve that first.

All this infighting and scrutiny only helps the opposition. I really don't want to vote for Biden, but will if I have to. But I sure as hell don't want Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.