• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Marvel "Avengers Infinity War" had a huge large scale battle scene toward the end of the movie. Even if that scene was impressive, it was average imo. I've seen much better and more impressive large battle sequences before. But which one is the best of all time ?

I think for years the standard has been the Battle of Hoth in "Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back". But I think 2 huge battle scenes comes close imo. The Battle for Germania in Gladiator and the Omaha Beach scene in "Saving Private Ryan".

However, I think that the best huge scale battle sequence of all time is the Battle of the Pelennor fields in the "Return of the King".

What do you think ?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
That scene in Lotr pretty much inspired copycats in the next decade or two so yeah I don't think anything has topped it yet.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I remember being legitimately awed at the Battle of Coruscant at the beginning of ROTS. There's so much going on in the background it's crazy.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity War felt small scale tbh.

RotK takes it for movies this millennium. The final half hour of Avatar was pretty balls out crazy though.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Red Cliff.

Got some amazing big brain strats (like 'stealing' the enemies' arrows using a decoy boat stacked with hay walls to bait out enemy archers) scenes, plus more 'standard' large scale action sequences, all set in China's Three Kingdoms era.

One of the best historical drama/wuxia I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I still think the new York battle in avengers 1 was bigger and better than any other marvel battle scene.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I remember being legitimately awed at the Battle of Coruscant at the beginning of ROTS. There's so much going on in the background it's crazy.

I think Star Wars movies have MANY epic large scale battle scenes, especially in the prequels. I mean the battle at the end of Attack of the Clones is incredible. But the battle of Hoth remains the best one.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lawrence of Arabia has some mental shit considering it's all 'real'. Must have been a nightmare of coordination.

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to beat LOTR in this category. I know you said movies but I do want to say that I think stuff like Battle of the Bastards is also better than like 99% of the biggest budget Hollywood movies of all time though.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think Star Wars movies have MANY epic large scale battle scenes, especially in the prequels. I mean the battle at the end of Attack of the Clones is incredible. But the battle of Hoth remains the best one.

As much as I find the characters incredibly boring, I think the battle of Scariff from Rogue One is amazing and large-scale as well.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017
The Waterloo one is insane because the director was given something like 18,000 Soviet troops for extras.

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Gaugamela is the best and most accurate Hollywood made battle I can think of. Everything from the speech to the main battle itself is just incredible.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I have to watch that 4 hour cut for Alexenader. Thanks for reminding me.

LotR and Red Cliff are both good picks. I'd also add Kingdom of Heaven. I still really love the intro battle for Gladiator but that one isn't that big in scope.

As for Sci-Fi, nothing beats Battle for Endor from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Battle for Scarrif from Rogue One comes close though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Gaugamela is the best and most accurate Hollywood made battle I can think of. Everything from the speech to the main battle itself is just incredible.

It was an amazing battle. I've scene in theatre at the time. It was epic I agree. I nearly put it out there in my op.

I still think Battle of the Pelennor tops it because it was so well scripted, there was incredible dialogues, music, etc. But it's close.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Battle of Pellenor Fields, most definitely.
... though I'm probably biased considering I still teared up at the scene whenever I reread the books or rewatch the movies. Rohan had come at last ;_;

Watching this thread for recommendations. I love me some epic battles.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Lawrence of Arabia has some mental shit considering it's all 'real'. Must have been a nightmare of coordination.

Why is this all CGI crap??
Hate that stuff.

The Waterloo one is insane because the director was given something like 18,000 Soviet troops for extras.

Indeed.

The movies of yesteryear can't be beaten. Stuff like Infinity War shouldn't be anywhere near this conversation.

I've never been a fan of the Pelennor Fields sequence in ROTK to be honest, I've always found it extremely artificial looking, which it is (obviously). Also not a fan of the CGI sweeping shot Peter Jackson keeps reusing.

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
I never understood the part when they reformed the line, what was their strategy riding straight towards those huge elephants? Were they hoping to scare those huge creatures? To me it just seemed they ended up losing troops for no strategic reason at all.

Feb 10, 2018
I like the ones with self sacrifice and emotion.
Also climatic ones are always good because it's been built up to.

These are my favs

Gorger

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
It was an amazing battle. I've scene in theatre at the time. It was epic I agree. I nearly put it out there in my op.

I still think Battle of the Pelennor tops it because it was so well scripted, there was incredible dialogues, music, etc. But it's close.

I agree with Pelennor. It is also my personal favorite battle and LOTR is my favorite movie of all time, but when it comes to a Hollywood historic battle this is the best one.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I like the ones with self sacrifice and emotion.
Also climatic ones are always good because it's been built up to.

These are my favs

Probably one of the better moments of First Contact is the battle of Sector 001, except for the Defiant performing terribly, despite being one of the few Federation ships there to have been designed specifically to fight Borg.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
No battle scene has had an impact on my like Omaha Beach of Saving Private Ryan. It's perfect in direction, editing and storytelling. It pulls you in like no other, but doesn't forget to tell a story with clear objectives that move you from one part of the battle to the next. In the meantime it also succeeds in setting up a couple of the most important characters. It's sheer brilliance in every aspect.

Pelennor Fields is amazing too, because in the same way it marries spectacle with story and character.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
Indeed.

The movies of yesteryear can't be beaten. Stuff like Infinity War shouldn't be anywhere near this conversation.

I've never been a fan of the Pelennor Fields sequence in ROTK to be honest, I've always found it extremely artificial looking, which it is (obviously). Also not a fan of the CGI sweeping shot Peter Jackson keeps reusing.
During King at the cinema I turned to my friend and asked where I plug in my X-Box controller.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
there's been a restoration of war & peace. yet to see it but the scale of the battle scenes look incredible from this trailer

oh and there you go, it's from the director of waterloo

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Big fan of Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut myself. Wonderful film. Old school epic battles. What I think makes Ridley Scott's big battles stand out is that he doesn't do impossible camera moves, that sells whatever CGI is there much more. I often think it's camera movement not quality of CGI that gives away special effects.

And of course there's Scott's earlier epic battle from Gladiator.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Gladiator's opening battle turns to shit when it goes all slow Mo and that moaning music starts. Such a great buildup that ends up so disappointing.

I remember the Battle of Stalingrad in Enemy at the Gates being quite great.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird I actually prefer Helm's Deep over Pelennor Fields? It just felt more desperate, more impossible to win. The elves showing up to help was really heartwarming and when all seemed lost, Gandalf shows up with the exiled cavalry and like a tidal wave they sweep up a victory.

It was beautiful.