• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I wonder if Wasteland 3 gets a bump, I really enjoyed what I played till I got stuck.

I think it's probably shelved with it and Fallout being both under Xbox now.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
If any of you reading this started playing on Xbox, shoot me
FO76 is a coop live service game that has been getting a significant amount of support, this is not the same situation that Starfield is in.

As someone whose played 76 since the beginning, significant is not the right term used to describe the support the game has recieved. It's just that it looks significant in total because it's SIX years old and the drip feed finally filled the cuppast half full. Starfield is less than one year old and hasn't even received its first major DLC. Also, not being a coop game has NOTHING to do with predicting a Renaissance. All of their other games have had huge bumps when official mod support gets added, DLC comes out and the game gets anniversary rereleases. Assuming the same won't happen here is just silly.

Last edited:

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I mean, to be fair, people were way harder on FO76 than Starfield. It's totally in the realm of possibility that Starfield gets a second chance at life.

Yeah but they had incentive to work on 76 cause if they got it to work it would make money over time. Starfield being an SP game isn't going to bring in that kind of money even if they "fix it".

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well look at ff7 rebirth for example. A huge ass game made in like 3.5 years and its more polished than any bethesda title ever with quality content and amazing cutscenes so its doable, you just need a good dev team
They did that by keeping pretty much the same exact team as the prequel, the engine, the technology and the assets.

None of those would happen right now with any other team that wouldn't be BGS when they finished Fallout 4.

(and basically that same effort is what gave us Fallout 76!)

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
You could say the exact same thing about Cyberpunk 2077, but we all saw how that turnaround went.

Did it really give them much off a sales bump? Honestly I liked the game even with its flaws at start but the turnaround hasn't gotten me to even buy the DLC (and honestly the turn around was far too late imho, by that time I gave up and had moved on). Maybe I'll get the DLC someday but gotta finish more important games first and need something to play.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did it really give them much off a sales bump? Honestly I liked the game even with its flaws at start but the turnaround hasn't gotten me to even buy the DLC (and honestly the turn around was far too late imho, by that time I gave up and had moved on). Maybe I'll get the DLC someday but gotta finish more important games first and need something to play.
Cyberpunk got some of the biggest sales numbers since release by the release of the Netflix series. That plus a couple of good updates made sales bump up incredibly high.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
You could say the exact same thing about Cyberpunk 2077, but we all saw how that turnaround went.
I think CP2077 is under a different category than Starfield. Sure, Starfield didn't work for some people, but I'd say a lot of folks still liked it quite a bit, even if it's flawed. CP2077 was a reputational catastrophe for CDPR. While I'll commend them for turning it around, I'd argue that they *had* to do something to turn that around if they wanted people to ever trust them again. I don't think it's quite the same for Starfield. It's by all accounts the most well-optimized, least buggy BGS game to date.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
LMAO... sorry but "significant" is not what I would call the amount of support F76 has gotten over the years. They got like a bare minimum life support team on it until maybe recently.

Eh Wastelanders was a massive update to the game with them adding in a second full length campaign even to it. The game support slowed as of recent yeas till just recently, but it did have a big push to fix it up early on.

Also it's not simply "content", but even when big new content wasn't being added, the devs were still supporting FO76 with lots of fixes especially in QOL aspects. Folks don't realize just how many features and systems in this game were not in at launch and some of which were only recently added. So yea it's been getting 6 years of support, it wasn't huge constant DLC drops of course, but they have been tweaking and adding to it.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The Witcher saw a sales bump. Last of Us saw a sales bump. Now Fallout has seen a huge sale and engagement bump.

Why didn't this happen with Halo? Even if the show wasn't of the quality of the others surely it would have done something for engagement?
Nobody has Paramount+ and no one is signing up for a streaming service FOR a series based on a game

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
If any of you reading this started playing on Xbox, shoot me

As someone whose played 76 since the beginning, significant is not the right term used to describe the support the game has recieved. It's just that it looks significant in total because it's SIX years old and the drip feed finally filled the cuppast half full. Starfield is less than one year old and hasn't even received its first major DLC. Also, not being a coop game has NOTHING to do with predicting a Renaissance. All of their other games have had huge bumps when official mod support gets added, DLC comes out and the game gets anniversary rereleases. Assuming the same won't happen here is just stupid.

LMAO... sorry but "significant" is not what I would call the amount of support F76 has gotten over the years. They got like a bare minimum life support team on it until maybe recently.
Besides that br mode that eventually got dropped, there have been major content releases since 2020 with the Wastelanders expansion. Even comparing FO4 to SF, there is a massive difference in how much they were able to retain player numbers.

inigo_montoya

Nov 20, 2023
I bought all the games because of the show. Actually I bought all the games on two different systems. Playing F76 now, and it isn't what I expected. It feels more survival game than deep rpg. Maybe it changes?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I bought all the games because of the show. Actually I bought all the games on two different systems. Playing F76 now, and it isn't what I expected. It feels more survival game than deep rpg. Maybe it changes?

It's a casual survival game set in Fallout. Your not getting a deep RPG, it's a game as service fallout with some story content and lore throughout it, but it's not narrative heavy as single player fallouts.

inigo_montoya

Nov 20, 2023
It's a casual survival game set in Fallout. Your not getting a deep RPG, it's a game as service fallout with some story content and lore throughout it, but it's not narrative heavy as single player fallouts.

Ok, I bought them all anyway. I was waiting on playing part 4 until upgrade but I have the old ones on my Steamdeck so I might just start with the first one.
F76 is not bad per se, just not really what I expected. The shooting mechanics aren't great though.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Tell me you know nothing about 76 without telling me.

Game is literally about to get a map expansion too in the coming weeks.

The game has had some big gaps of no new content, which has soured many folks. After the PITT update, the game had massive holes in anything new, apparently most of the Bethesda staff were taken off the game to help with Starfield as it was all hands on deck to get that game launch ready. Development of 76 content was largely shifted to new folks and it seems that had a big impact on new content releases as there was nothing for a good while.

Perhaps things are turning around since we just got Atlantic City back to back updates and now we got the big expansion in June already.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great news for my favorite IP in gaming! Now if only they could make a new spin off title or a remaster/remake of the other games so I don't have to wait until the 2030s for 5 lol.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Besides that br mode that eventually got dropped, there have been major content releases since 2020 with the Wastelanders expansion. Even comparing FO4 to SF, there is a massive difference in how much they were able to retain player numbers.

The entirety of the story stuff that's been added to Fallout 76 in the years since launch is equivalent to less than Far Harbor from F4, until the Atlantic City update a few weeks ago. I played it all, I know. And waiting a year for the big brotherhood update after wastelanders only for it to be literally an hour of unrepeatable quests and 2 new buildings is once again, not major content. There are probably more people working on starfield DLC right now than there have ever been working on 76 post launch. Bethesda games have a very long curve, and dismissing it before it hits any of those milestones is just naive and feeds into the ridiculous negative online narrative that the game wasn't successful that people strangely want to manifest

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The entirety of the story stuff that's been added to Fallout 76 in the years since launch is equivalent to less than Far Harbor from F4, until the Atlantic City update a few weeks ago. I played it all, I know. And waiting a year for the big brotherhood update after wastelanders only for it to be literally an hour and a half of unrepeatable quests and 2 new buildings is once again, not major content. There are probably more people working on starfield DLC right now than there have ever been working on 76 post launch. Bethesda games have a very long curve, and dismissing it before it hits any of those milestones is just naive and feeds into the ridiculous negative online narrative that the game wasn't successful that people strangely want to manifest

Wastelanders update alone has more story content than Far Harbor so that's an odd thing to say. Story content is a tough bar to set for a game like this really, as they have to focus on putting out game content that is meant to be repeated and keep people playing. It's the issue with all online mmo style games, and devs for these types of games have said it since forever. Supporting story content in online games is a huge investment in time when players are going to play through it in one sitting often. Many months of work to just be done in one day, then the players are online screaming for more.

Hence the focus on stuff like events, grinds, and online friendly activities.

76 is an online game first and foremost, any story content added is always going to be on the lite side.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Also tried it over the weekend.
Played 2-3 hours and followed the questlines in the beginner area.

Looks really nice for a Fallout game but I eventually gave up, because it's far too easy and if it's too easy i get bored quickly.
Is there no way to increase the difficulty?
Does it stay this way or does it get more difficult in later areas/quests?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
The entirety of the story stuff that's been added to Fallout 76 in the years since launch is equivalent to less than Far Harbor from F4, until the Atlantic City update a few weeks ago. I played it all, I know. And waiting a year for the big brotherhood update after wastelanders only for it to be literally an hour and a half of unrepeatable quests and 2 new buildings is once again, not major content. There are probably more people working on starfield DLC right now than there have ever been working on 76 post launch. Bethesda games have a very long curve, and dismissing it before it hits any of those milestones is just naive and feeds into the ridiculous negative online narrative that the game wasn't successful that people strangely want to manifest
I not dismissing longevity and actually liked SF over FO, but the original post used the term renaissance which implies more than what I think this game is going to get.

Velgo

Dec 9, 2021
I'm so glad 76 is a success now! I will have to dive back in sometime with my mates.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017

Looks really nice for a Fallout game but I eventually gave up, because it's far too easy and if it's too easy i get bored quickly.

It gets harder with the enemy scaling. Did you choose to start at lvl 20 which they do now? Cause that gives you a huge leg up in the early part of the game and makes things super easy. Folks whined that the game was too hard at early levels so they kept doing update after update which made that early part easier where now it's trivial.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

It gets harder because the world scales with you and the level cap on enemies in the immediate vault area is very low. The introductory NPC story missions give you a bunch of supplies that it didn't before. Later areas have increasingly higher tier versions of enemies in top of higher level caps. That all said, it is the kind of game that can become a cakewalk the second you get a great legendary weapon.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017

It gets much harder around level 30. So much so that you constantly get people asking how to survive and not run out of ammo and stuff.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
I'm trying it now with a friend. We got fallout 1st and just playing by ourselves on a private server.

Any tips? I'm interested in getting the cremator but don't know if I'll make it it time before the season expires…

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Wastelanders update alone has more story content than Far Harbor so that's an odd thing to say. Story content is a tough bar to set for a game like this really, as they have to focus on putting out game content that is meant to be repeated and keep people playing. It's the issue with all online mmo style games, and devs for these types of games have said it since forever. Supporting story content in online games is a huge investment in time when players are going to play through it in one sitting often. Many months of work to just be done in one day, then the players are online screaming for more.

Hence the focus on stuff like events, grinds, and online friendly activities.

76 is an online game first and foremost, any story content added is always going to be on the lite side.

That has always been my issue with 76. The focus on making it Fallout 4 instead of the Fallout Online it was pitched as. It took 2 and a half years for the game to get a new world boss for instance. It was averaging about 2 new events a year while drowning players in camp items. The focus on making quests you do once instead of repeatable goals and content has always been baffling to me.

Fallout 76 is absolutely not an online game first and foremost, as evidenced by almost everything of substance they added being story quests next to the occasional new currency grind

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022

What MMO games are not dumb easy the first 10 -20 hours?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
That has always been my issue with 76. The focus on making it Fallout 4 instead of the Fallout Online it was pitched as. It took 2 and a half years for the game to get a new world boss for instance. It was averaging about 2 new events a year while drowning players in camp items. The focus on making quests you do once instead of repeatable goals and content has always been baffling to me.

Fallout 76 is absolutely not an online game first and foremost, as evidenced by almost everything of substance they added being story quests.

There problem is the constant shifting focus. They are trying to please everyone which has strained all the game's systems. When it launched they were clearly going for a MMO like design with where they were going but the playerbase wanted a more narrative SP style of game. They keep going back and forth.

I do say it's online first and foremost as that's where majority of the content has been focused on, the amount of actual story content has been quite minimal as they have shifted to more group activities and repeatable content over one and done story stuff. Brotherhood of Steel was nice but also felt weird to just drop in cause heres like 3-4 hrs of story content and well that's it. Not sure how you can say they aren't online focused when the story content has been so minimal post wastelanders. Seasonal events, timed events, daily ops, expeditions, the 12 new big public events, 3 added bosses. All the game systems added are about repeating content to earn currencies. It's all largely just taking on online game design elements, but then yea you do have them tossing in one and done sp quests here or there. Again I think it's just they are trying to please all with limited resources

I'm glad they didn't go full on MMO, them dropping the whole Raid thing and making it more community open event. It's casual in every sense of the word

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
theres a real value to older games being readily available and i hope publishers learn from this

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a problem for them to me.

They were banking on Starfield being the new Skyrim, which would ease the presure for a new game.

It's been 13 years since Skyrim released.

That is just entirely too long to go between entries in a very popular IP.
They should be in charge of the games that move the tech forward, like numbered sequels, since they develop the engine.

But they should really look into outsourcing New Vegas-like sequels. It makes no sense to have a wildly popular show and no other way to capitalize on it than selling old games at low prices.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
This game has been my favorite bethesda game since morrowind so I'm glad people are starting to see it. It's been good for a long time and I poured a bunch of hours into it last year.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
a moment of silence for all the halo fans seeing this
The Witcher saw a sales bump. Last of Us saw a sales bump. Now Fallout has seen a huge sale and engagement bump.

Why didn't this happen with Halo? Even if the show wasn't of the quality of the others surely it would have done something for engagement?

Halo is exclusively for 40 year old dads these days. It's dusty AF. I wonder if Infinite actually put off younger people even more.

And yes I know Fallout is technically older than Halo, but it became mainstream later comparatively. And it has done a better job of retaining its fans along with attracting new audiences with each game.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Actually insane.

Since they have LITERALLY NOTHING coming for years, I wonder if they're gonna bump F76's budget and turn it into something even more ambitious.

While the hype may not "last" indefinitely, a great huge update coming around season 2 of the show would absolutely ensure yet another revival.

Mar 11, 2020

Lmao i am level 40 atm and i was just thinking it's kinda hard solo at this point. I still am running into the issue of struggling to find ballistic fiber to keep up with armor like i did way back at launch and big boss events hit like a truck.

I am still gonna keep playing but if i want to do big stuff it feels like I'm forced off the private server to group with people and i don't wanna