• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like term limits could backfire as the politicians won't be accountable to voters anymore in their final term, and you also lose many years of experience when electing someone new (imagine the election had been Obama vs. Trump instead)

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't agree with congressional term limits. Incumbents are so safe because districts are gerrymandered. It's wild to me that politics is still the one area where people prefer less experience, not more. This will only make congresspeople more reliant on the permanent lobbyist community like it has done in Michigan.

Do like some of the other changes though.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I feel like term limits could backfire as the politicians won't be accountable to voters anymore in their final term, and you also lose many years of experience when electing someone new (imagine the election had been Obama vs. Trump instead)
Yeah I'm actually not crazy about term limits for elected officials. I understand the concerns but I feel like if they're doing a good job, why replace them? We'd have been better off if like, Bill Clinton could be president forever.

It seems more appropriate for justices, since they're not elected (at least federally). There needs to be some accountability there so some shitbag doesn't get to be on the court for like 60 years with no recourse.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
That tends to be what happens in states that introduce them. Politicians need a job because they hit the limit and when anyone needs a job they start asking the people they know for help. Guess who Congressmen know...

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm opposed to term limits for a variety of reasons. Tackling campaign finance is much more important and effective in curbing corruption and undue influence.

Other than that, good stuff. Automatic voter registration and vote by mail are the biggest no-brainers in the world and would also have huge impacts if implemented nationwide.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

On the flip side though you will not get these never-ending positions who for decades show they don't care about their constituents knowing that they will never be voted out.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with limits and I foresee infighting over this. The Democratic power structure does not want every minority or young person to vote.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that entrenched politicians are already not accountable to voters. They basically get reelected via inertia and voter apathy.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Term limits for Congress is a bad idea and I think much less of Beto as a candidate for suggesting it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Term limits are wack and something that a bipartisan coalition but into place to stop anyone from gaining the political independence from vested interests that FDR had.
Mandatory retirement age of 75 for appointed positions however is a good step.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be happy to hear argument on the other side for term limits. I'm also not positive restricting the Supreme Court is a good idea, though perhaps 18 years is long enough. I like the sound of everything else on paper though it's a bit light on details.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ctrl-f gerrymandering
End Gerrymandering: Each American's vote should count equally

Beto will work with Congress to enact legislation that empowers independent commissions for redistricting to ensure the make up of districts reflects the preferences of voters statewide.
decent enough.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Does any candidate have any actual functional workable plans, or are we still at the stage that Bernie never got out of, coming up with things that have no basis in reality because they sway voters that jump to whoever promises the moon first?

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Fuck term limits. What you need is for any politician on any level including judges to be banned from acquiring or possessing any wealth.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
ctrl-f gerrymandering

decent enough.

Yeah. If you take care of gerrymandering the districts, term limits become kinda moot. The issue will work itself out naturally.

I think I'd be okay with term limits at a very high amount, something like 8 or 10 terms for congressional spots.

Last edited:

Deleted member 431

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each state does its own voting for federal elections. I don't have time to read the plan but how would he fix that? Here in Canada we have a non-partisan commission for federal elections that decide stuff like districts (so no gerrymandering) and register people to vote automatically at 18. Does he want a non-partisan commission/panel? How would he get states to sign on?

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Beto has no chance though. Yeah its early but its between Biden, Warren and Harris IMHO.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It's all good except for him using it to nackdoor in his personal fixation on term limits. Term limits are bad, have demonstrably damaged the quality of governance in states where they've been implemented, and give more power to lobbyists to influence inexperienced legislators, exactly contrary to the idea of getting money out of politics.

Also, all evidence is that the incumbency advantage has fallen to basically nothing in the past few elections as polarization has made partisanship more important than incumbency.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in love with this man.

I'm all for term limits, but I think they should be something like 20 years. I don't think "politician" should be a career field that someone should be in forever, and I think even if someone is doing a great job that doesn't mean there's someone out there who couldn't be doing even better.

Makes me sad that he doesn't have much of a chance, because he inspires me quite a bit more than anyone else running right now.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Mmm, I love it when politicians try to pander by introducing constitutional amendments that have less than a zero chance of passing.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy to hear argument on the other side for term limits. I'm also not positive restricting the Supreme Court is a good idea, though perhaps 18 years is long enough. I like the sound of everything else on paper though it's a bit light on details.

I think Supreme Court term limits could lead to certain issues being timed to when certain justices will be replaced. Imagine knowing for sure that two spots will be replaced by the next president for sure. Just try and time your case to reach the court once you know it will have a more favorable makeup.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Terms limits are a dumb red meat policy. I think they should remove them for the president as well. There are mechanisms for removing politicians you don't like. It's called fucking voting and then you do everything you can to make voting easy, safe, and representative majority. We shouldn't be so eager to get rid of people by some arbitrary metric. We should get rid of a representative when they don't represent their constituents and we do that through voting.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Term limits are a bit of a double edged sword but arguing in favor of fixing gerrymandering or establishing an independent re-districting organization is a smart move and will help make term limits a moot point. I think you could curry a lot of good favor by reaching out to Republican voters in places like Maryland where districts are drawn in favor of Democrats. Someone more centrist like Beto could probably make that case fairly well to those types of voters, I think that's probably what he'd build his campaign on.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We already know what term limits do at the state legislature level.

Hint: it's not good.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Harris?
Nah, it's between the 3 oldest candidates
Biden Bernie Warren.

No Bernie was close last time, and people are already tired of him again. He also is losing the most support in polling over time compared to everyone else. Harris and Warren will pick up steam, they have a good point of difference and also have support from key demographics, and speak very well so debates will help.

Oct 25, 2017
Congressional term limits are definitely a bad idea. The most we should have is an age limit. Once you turn 70, you can't run again.

The rest is fine. Bad idea for Beto to poison the bill with term limits.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
At the very least, I hope that whoever receives the nomination is smart enough to rip off all of the great plans proposed by other candidates thus far. Beto may be doomed, but some of his good ideas could still make it into the next democratic presidential agenda.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I call bullshit in experience. I understand you don't want someone like trump. But make the requirement to be in Congress that you have to have served at the local level first.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
"By throwing the rascals out from time to time, they will remind government that it exists to serve us — not the other way around."

Jefferson preached centuries ago. All for term limits.

OP
OP
BoboBrazil

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Term limits are a good idea if you also tie it in with lobbying bans after leaving Congress.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Term limits are a good idea if you also tie it in with lobbying bans after leaving Congress.

They really aren't. You've stopped them from angling for a lobbying job, but you haven't stopped inexperienced legislators from having to turn to lobbyists for issue expertise, and you haven't stopped them from angling for any other non-lobbyist job. Oil companies can't hire me as a lobbyist as a reward for giving me what they wanted, but they can still hire me to a cushy job as let's call it an in-house counsel? Maybe a strategic director? Any situation where you say government can't be a career is going to be one where government is done with an eye towards future career opportunities. Saying that that career can't be lobbying is a hilariously short-sighed solution to the problem.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Congressional term limits are super bad and this being in the mix kinda confirms fears to me stemming from a really weird Ukraine vote that Betos a lightweight on policy.
Very wrong. Lobbying ismt the problem, a lacl of institutional memory and perverse incentives for lame ducks is.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Beto introduces term limits for Congress, despite the evidence that it actively harms republican systems of government and places more power in the hands of lobbyists? And destroys institutional knowledge and coalition building among representatives?

www.bridgemi.com

Opinion | Michigan term limits sounded good, but they’ve failed | Bridge Michigan

Michigan has had a quarter century of experience with term limits, but the promises of a more dynamic democracy never came to fruition.

Do some research, Beto team.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Term limits on SCOTUS needs to happen. We're making far too much progress as a society to allow 90 year olds to hold us back.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
the issue with term limits is there isn't enough quality people for all levels of government

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Age limits not term limits. For life isn't the same as it was at the founding of our country.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Ensured the continued election of representatives cognizant of their constituents and not bound to a dereliction of voting for actions are for the common good but could be detrimental to their re-election prospectives?

I am cognizant of arguments for and against, but I'm all in on the conversation as well as different implementations.

Beto has been an ardent supporter of this even during his time in Congress, and shockingly enough, 38 senators in Congress support it, Ted Cruz might have even co-authored a legislation.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The registration is a sound idea, but I'm wary of term limits. It's too easy to game the system and prevents people from gaining experience in the field.

Oct 27, 2017
Beto and his faux-populist bullshit can eat all of my ass. You know what "term limits" are in our country? They're called elections.

Term limits won't solve issues with constituency support or positive policy, it simply means the noobs are more dependant on their staff and lobbyists to get up to speed about what they're voting on. It's stupidity wrapped in folksy wisdom.

Otherwise this plan looks decent